Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

hyphz posted:

I don't see the assertion behind the fact that stories cannot be told under a system where the PCs and players are not expected to do the best they can to succeed, even where failure would be more narratively interesting

In games like BitD, the characters are absolutely expected to do their best to succeed. It's not that failure is necessarily more interesting than success, or that success is more interesting than failure. It's that failure or success, for purposes of narrative, are equally compelling parts of a story. It's not necessarily something you're aiming for as a player or a GM.

Having a character go through ups and downs is interesting. Having a character struggle and fail over and over and finally succeed is compelling. Having a triumphant and successful character brought low is compelling. Neither the GM nor the players have to try to build these narratives intentionally as they're playing BitD or it's ilk. The players just playing the game and doing their best to succeed is enough to produce these narratives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

hyphz posted:

But what “have they earned?” If they have earned access through that one door, that says nothing about not being another one. If they have earned success, then every heist is one roll. If they have earned some percentage of success, then what percentage? When we’re judging effect, what measure is it by? Can it have great effect at opening the door but limited effect at getting to the loot at once?

When you're running the game, you know what's appropriate to do when. Follow your instincts. Does it feel like they've been doing the heist well enough and have overcome enough obstacles to have success passed their way, based on the setup and the tier? Then do it, give them whatever success feels right. It's going to vary from table to table, GM to GM, group to group. There is no way to point at something to prove it was the appropriate time to do it. It just feels like the right time. For some groups, that means heists will be harder than others, because the GM will feel like things are going better/worse even if they're going the same.

Just follow your heart. Even if it doesn't seem like it's going to be a good experience, give it an honest try, and I think you'll find it'll work better in practice than it seems like it will on paper for you right now.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Sion posted:

So, on the subject of literally fuckin' anything else how's everyone's week shaping up? I'm back at work tomorrow oh no

I had an interview today, hopefully they hire me so I can get out of debt maybe ever. Wheee.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

I just found out that one of Rene Laloux's movies is on youtube and now you all get to know about it too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqTvIgtVQwg

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

What are some better mid-to-heavy crunch games that are built around generic systems and building your own setting/races/whatever, then? I don't want to go full GURPS.

I mean, Strike! comes to mind. Don't know where that lands on your crunch scale.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

lmao GMS is changing the engine for Far West

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

A competitive card game with no deckbuilding or booster packs because you buy the whole deck at once and every single deck is unique and you can't modify them.

What the gently caress?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

i played tea dragon society yesterday evening and it's a relatively simple deckbuilding game but goddamn if it's not the cutest poo poo i've ever seen

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U9Oyney1c4

Fantasy Flight really leaning into that unique printing thing huh, first keyforge now this.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah, FFG gonna FFG. Seems like one of those games that I'd be perfectly willing to play if someone else owns it but I'm probably never buying it myself. I tend to have patience for FFG's shenanigans though. :shrug:

Keyforge though, man, no way. Can't tolerate knowing that, given the list of cards, you could build a better legal deck, and just, aren't allowed to, because That's The Rules. gently caress that.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Sion posted:

It's Thursday, my dudes.

What's the plan for the weekend? I'm driving to Loch Ness. Gonna catch a monster.

Gonna finish reading Unity, start putting together a one-shot for it. Not sure when, but I like the book so far and I'd like to see how it actually feels in play.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

How is Genesys? Feel like it just came and went without much fanfare. I liked the FFG Star Wars game from the one session I played of it (in which I played a bounty hunter that was one of those Phantom Menace battle droids that was never actually used in the Clone Wars but pretended to in order to look cool to clients).

It's good. It's very Fantasy Flight what with all the proprietary dice and symbol tallying resolution mechanic but if you're not down on that it's a perfectly serviceable generic system.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

What is an entry level RPG?

Tinydungeon

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

gradenko and ARB but one of them can only tell lies and one can only tell the truth, how will you escape their dungeon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

Apologies if this isn't the place for it; couldn't find a sort of general TTRPG thread and didn't want to gunk up the DM one

Has anyone played or DM'd Ryuutama? It has the super chilled out vibe I'm interested in giving a shot, but I'd just love to hear a first hand account of how it plays. I'm most interested in how the general flow of a session works, and over what sort of time

I've been in and run a half dozen oneshots. It's a fun, comfy little game. I've never been lucky enough to be a part of a longer campaign, but it has enough depth to hold a longer game together with fairly interesting character progression and DMPC mechanics changing over time/seasons.

Mind, I've only ever played with the Spring dragon, and the other dragons have different suggested tones, like Winter is all about death and mysteries and stuff.

That said, most of my sessions have gone like this:

0. If you have time in advance, give the party a couple choices of what take on. Personal journeys are great, but so are short quests like "my husband hasn't come home from his job as a cloud rancher in three days, please go and figure out what's going on with him". Or "nekogoblins have stolen my prizewinning giant gourd! Please get it back!"

1. Send them on their journey after some opportunities to prepare. Make the appropriate travel checks. At a glance, it might seem like the ration and carrying capacity and animal tracking is all a bit too crunchy for the tone, but I find that it ends up being really rewarding to engage with the journeying rules, and it's all surprisingly easy to track.

2. Have one or two minor (10 minutes at most) encounters on the journey on the way there, per day of travel. Encounters meaning anything, not just combat. Wandering strangers to meet, people in trouble to help, merchants and traders, wild animals to tame or escape from, etc. One time we had to chase a giant seagull up a magic beanstalk, because he stole our breakfast, for example. Make sure to ask plenty of questions and let the players fill in blanks about their environment. It's a lot more fun to have everyone helping build the little details together.

3. The main sequence of encounters, usually one or two combats, a puzzle, some ways for the players to flex their creativity. One of these I've run was going into a mine to find a lost miner - some planning, a few skill checks, and a standoff stealth sequence with a giant mole that turned out to be the miners' friendly pet/mascot.

4. Wrap things up. Let the players have plenty of narrative power to keep building the world with a short epilogue.

We tried to keep everything simple and moving pretty quickly and we could usually get through all that in about two hours.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 28, 2018