Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So a friend recommended looking into Alone Against The Flames to learn the basics of Call of Cthulhu, which seems like a fun idea. It did get me thinking though, have any other tabletop games done something similar?

For context, it's a solo adventure that doesn't need a DM and just need the book, the quickstart rules, and a blank character sheet. You fil it out and learn the rules as you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait. This is free????

gently caress the dishes I was gonna do. I have tomorrow off and I’m gonna drink bourbon and play Call of Cthulhu by myself apparently. gently caress yeah.

Never heard of this. Thank you!

They also have Alone Against the Dark if you want another one after that?

And thanks That Old Tree, I'll look into those too. :)

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So, anyone here familiar with Black Streams? Was wondering how it'd work with Pathfinder or 3.5 with a single player.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

You could probably just apply the rules to 3.5/PF straight-up. On the one hand, it would be much easier to increase your damage rolls to the point where you're always dealing at least one, or even two, HD of damage, since even just 20 Strength would get you there.

On the other hand, most creatures in the 3.5/PF milieu use lots more HD anyway, so it'll probably wash-out.

Was there any part of the rules that you thought might be an issue?

Not specifically, just not that experienced. Could miss some glaring problems, so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

Thank you!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

This seemed like as good a place as any to ask, how's the Doctor Who game on Bundle of Holding right now? Would it work as a kid's first rpg? My cousins are 8 and 11 and love Doctor Who.