Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I have a good 20 Guild Ball models, including the one that the terrible fluff's about, and now I'm really glad they don't put any of that poo poo in a place where I might've actually read it.

Yeah the fluff is super duper easy to ignore if you want. I do think they've done a better job with the writing as the game has gone on, but I also understand if the Gutter stuff still turns people away. The early stuff is definitely "my first grimdark"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I think my first grimdark was, like, a particularly gothic episode of The Real Ghostbusters, and not fantasizing about raping a woman until she loves me

Yeah, I guess the better way to frame it is that whoever wrote the early stuff was very clearly a big Game of Thrones fan and copied a lot of the worst parts of that (and in this case, turned it to 11)

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The 13th Age monster Bestiary 1 and 2 are both my absolute favorite, with the first one probably edging out the second by a small bit. I love the multiple takes and ways to tweak a given beastie to suit specific tastes and I'm just a huge fan of their style of flavor text in general