Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Moriatti posted:

To Answer Gumslinger's question from last thread, book wise what you want is "The Dying Earth" by Jack Vance.

Adventure Time is the good D&D cartoon but it's not classic and also very goofball so y'know.

If we're talking cartoons, I'd suggest giving Thundarr The Barbarian a watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Has anyone else developed a fascination with weird artifacts of the 90s CCG boom? I've been buying up On the Edge booster boxes and it has really brought me back to those halcyon days where there were new CCGs coming out based on whatever license was around, and of course they were all featured in InQuest (also I think Over the Edge was a super great RPG). I'd love to grab some Arcadia boxes, but those are pretty dear these days.

It's from the early 2000's instead, but I would love to assemble a complete collection for the original English run of Duel Masters someday, especially since it's one of those rare examples of a TCG lasting more than two to five or so sets(it lasted about 12 sets to my recollection, can't remember if that's counting the Base Set or not though), and thus has a pretty deep card pool(about 900), not to mention it was a really drat fun game with great art

Obviously this is only regarding the US version, game is still going in Japan(it's one of the 3 or so most popular card games over there in fact, which gives me hope that it will get another chance here in the West)

Guy Goodbody posted:

A little while ago I bought a booster pack of the .hack card game. I always liked the art for the series and the boxes all had nice character art on them

Then I opened the pack and it turns out the cards used screencaps from the PS2 games

I despise when card games use screenshots instead of using proper art, it just looks cheap and lazy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

Do not, under any circumstance, look up Cyberpunk 2020 3rd edition art.

Or please do and prepare for horror.

The execution of that is awful, but I think the concept behind it is one that could work

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

gently caress all the way off, Plutonis.

Agreed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

For whatever reason I really like the Jobs systems from FF games. One of my takeaways with old-school D&D is that there are two ways you can go with the classes: either make them as open and broad as possible so that people can do anything with it, or deliberately do a bunch of weird particular ones like the paladin, druid, bard, etc. that imply things about the setting just by being there.

Personally I feel the best way to do it is to have several broad "Core" classes(usually the Fighter, Thief, Cleric, Wizard quartet), and then do a bunch of additional classes that tend to be more niche to varying extents(whether it's one that is still fairly broad like a Druid, or something super specific like say a "Umbrian Caber Tosser")

With an additional factor being whether you're doing Racial Classes or race as separate from classes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

:shepspends:

You gotta go deeper if you're talking about Japan. The Bible isn't just the main villain of the game, it's actually a piece of propaganda left behind by an alien race in order to foment conflict between mankind. Those who are in power in the Catholic who are in charge of interpreting 'the Word of God' are actually in constant communication with the alien race and receive 'blessings' from them in the form of 'miraculous' super-powers when finally cornered (e.g., the Pope can fire energy blasts from his mouth that cannot be blocked by any currently existing technology, on top of having enough strength to caber toss a mosque's minarets onto a city 50 miles away).

The Catholic part of me wants to scream in rage from the blasphemy, even if I won't deny that's both funny and accurate to what anime does

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man DriveThruRPG is just making GBS threads the bed for me right now, can't download anything off it, which is a shame as I had just bought the entirety of the old Goodman Games d20 DragonMech line(as Goodman is having a ludicrous sale right now) and was looking forward to finally reading them(was also going to redownload their Dinosaur Planet Broncosaurus Rex line as well as I remember that line also being fun)

Anyone else having issues with them today?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I still really want a physical copy of the Guide, now that I've finally found a job I might be able to save up for a copy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

lofi posted:

I was so disappointed by Strike, it was sold as a cure-all to D&D, but it turns out that '4e with less poo poo' is still 4e.

I'm really not convinced tactical combat is compatible with rpgs - there's always one player who doesn't get it, or it takes forever, or something. Honestly, I'm not even sure it should be an aim of rpgs - 'good story' and 'realistic fights' rarely go together.

Happy games... I've found FATE and Dungeon World great for more lighthearted stuff - I had a great time running a pulpy scifi in FATE, very much playing the 'this is loving ridiculous OC, but all the characters take it completely seriously' schtick.

e:

Kinda the opposite of my opinion where I feel an RPG system needs good combat because the overwhelming majority of players(and GM's for that matter) in my experience are completely incapable of any actual Role-playing, so the majority of my enjoyment in most campaigns I've been in are from character building and combat

Also most super rules light "Storytelling" games are just completely incomprehensible to me, like last time I tried reading through a copy of FATE I couldn't understand any of it and just got a headache for my efforts

lofi posted:

Linear arrows, quadratic thors? Maybe D&D has been perfect for supers all along!

I was thinking of 'street level' as in cyberpunk 'you are one of the masses', I've not heard it used the way you describe before.

One of my favorite Superhero systems actually is D&D derived, look up Hideouts & Hoodlums

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Covok posted:

Not trying to be that guy, but FATE is more like a rules medium game.

We might have different meanings for what is rules light or not, like I consider most D&D variants to be Rules Medium for example

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

Basically all super heroes are super-tough to one degree or another. They all have to be able to take hits from enemies of the appropriate tier.

Exactly, heck I'm tempted to just have it be a default assumption in at least one Superhero setting I'm tinkering with, that if you have an active Meta Gene(which for this setting would be the only way to have powers, and non powered Heroes would basically be nonexistent) then no matter whatever other abilities you have you also have at least enough durability that most mundane firearms will at the most give you some bruises, and enough super strength to lift a small car

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's nothing wrong with having a lot of technical rules in a superhero game, so long as everyone understands that you have to either stick to street-level heroes, or exalted-level heroes and not mix the groups. The problem is everyone wants to run an Avengers/Justice League game and those rosters always have someone like Hawkeye rub elbows with Thor. That can work in a game with more abstracted expressions of super powers, like MHR or Masks, but the minute you start trying to apply all sorts of definite numbers to stats and bonuses to damage the normal characters can't keep up.

When it comes to Superheroes and RPG's what I feel the sweet spot in terms of power levels are that covered by the top tier Street heroes like Luke Cage, Iron Fist, or Spider-Man, and that of most X-Men(besides those like Magneto or Phoenix), and the lower to mid tier Avengers members(so not your Thor or Sentry tier characters, but more like Giant Man or Captain America)

Basically the power level is high enough that your average bank robber or henchman isn't much of a threat at all in a straight fight, but not so high that a lucky shot couldn't result in grievous injury, or that being massively outnumbered wouldn't result in capture

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so what weird setting ideas are people in this thread working on, currently I'm fiddling with a fantasy setting that takes inspiration from this chain of Tumblr posts;

https://tyrantisterror.tumblr.com/post/173238415544/bugcthulhu-crabdominalpain
https://tyrantisterror.tumblr.com/post/173243500934/iamthekaijuking-okay-that-meme-where-everyone
https://tyrantisterror.tumblr.com/post/173245726374/the-blonde-goblin-an-evolved-dinosaur

I'd go into more details about it but I really need to go to bed, so maybe I'll elaborate further tomorrow(well technically later today since it's just after midnight where I am)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Have you ever been around a child in the US?

I was like 8 or 9 the first time I saw anything Warhammer related and was immediately hooked

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Former Exalted Dev and ex-SA member Holden Shearer is getting internet famous for this Leftist tweet.

He does have a point

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zurui posted:

You left out the best part:

The character was immune to the cure.

Man if I ever played with him, the session would probably end with me beating him senseless with the nearest blunt object

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Anyone here who is good at math and making images want to help me out here with this;

Basic idea is that you take a 6 sided die then divide it into it's six sides and lay them out flat in a 3x4 grid with all six sides in contact with at least one other side, the source for this claims there's 30 possible combinations that could be done for this, I want to know if that's accurate, as well as have all 30(or whatever the real number is) combinations laid out for me in a picture

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I might be misinterpreting it, but there are only 11 nets of a cube and they don't all fit into a 3x4 grid.

Nets?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Thanks everyone, also guess I should mention what spurred this; was reading the original manga for Yugioh because I'm a huge dork, and for one of the games featured in it(that isn't the card game everyone associates with that franchise), one of the core mechanics involves unfolding a die in the manner I mentioned to act as part of the game's playing field each time you summon a monster(since the monster is supposed to be inside the die), and the character who created that game specifically mentioned there being 30 combinations of positions a die could have when you "Dimension" it(to use his terminology), wanted to know if he was right because I suck at math enough that I couldn't really trust myself to do it accurately

Also wow I had never heard of QAnon before, that's a whole new level of crazy to process

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Dungeon Dice Monsters. It was an actual physical game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bEDMuBe0qw

Yup, even owned that set at one time

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Personally I like the skill system concept that several different OSR games have used where your skills are primarily determined by your class and often whatever occupation your character had prior to becoming an adventurer(and sometimes your culture and/or race as well), so if it's something your character could reasonably be assumed to be able to do because of any of those than they'd be skilled in it

It's a pretty simple yet intuitive concept in my opinion

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I rarely bother with Bundle of Holding offers, as they often feel still kinda overpriced, especially for how pathetically low the payout to the charities are

But then I'm of the opinion that most things sold in electronic formats are massively overpriced in general(like there's only a handful of books that I think actually deserve to be sold for more than 10 bucks, and even that should be rare, most honestly should be in the under 5 dollar range)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Most games aren't sold at a high enough price tbh, and that's including digital versions.

I'm fine with the pricing for physical books for the most part, it's just digital only that I have issues with

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Foglet posted:

Hm, I wonder what of the "books are overpriced" and "writers are underpaid" is more true.

I can guess.

I said nothing about how writers should be paid

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

You said that most games sold in digital format should cost less than they already do. Exactly how do you square that with the idea that the creators who made those games therefore shouldn't be paid less for their work than they already are? Do you really think that by slashing their already low costs that they'll somehow magically make more money?

That's a problem I leave for someone else to figure out

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

This is easily one of the most broke-brained responses I've seen today, and this includes Corey Lewandowski going 'womp womp' in response to hearing a news story about a child with Down's syndrome being separated from their mother at the border.

I'm guessing you think paying artists in terms of 'exposure' rather than compensating them in cash is OK, too?

Not really I just meant that's a problem I have no solution for

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

An artist friend of mine is taking commissions lately!
https://tyrantisterrorart.tumblr.com/search/commissions

Here's a character of mine he drew recently, from that Capers! game that TDN ran some time ago:

Yeah he's good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OSR as a movement is still chugging along despite various highs and lows

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All of this is proceeding from the mistaken assumption that light games are a gateway into RPGs.

This is completely wrong and a disservice to light and crunchy games alike. What you really have is basically two different genres and if you actually want to play D&D (or more properly, the genre it represents) then play B/X or 4E or one of the numerous modern games that take the basic premise there and skew a little more gamist than simulationist. (13th Age should be fine.)

Conversely if you want to play Fiasco or Dread or whatever other tincture of gameplay you prefer to dissolve into your cup of freeform RP, then do that!

Agreed, if we're talking D&D derived games for beginners, I'd say Basic Fantasy RPG is one of the better choices as it's not only a very solid game with a lot of support, it's fully free in PDF form, and the print books for it are dirt cheap

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

clockworkjoe posted:

Are there any RPGs set in the modern real world but with a focus on fighting weird sci-fi nasties and PCs can have over the top psychic powers/skills etc? Ideally it would be monster of the week, but entirely sci-fi themed instead of magic/supernatural.

I know I can reskin Monster of the Week, but if there's an existing game, why go to the effort?

I want something where PCs can have actual combat power, so not Delta Green/Call of Cthulhu.

I'd probably just modify and reskin an OSR system as needed myself

gourdcaptain posted:

Are there any good generic-ier Mecha Tabletop RPGs? Looking for something for a group and all the stuff is old and clunky, or just clunky, that I know of.

3rding the recommendation of Battle Century G for a purpose built Mecha game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well I just got literally robbed, gently caress my life

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

What especially sucks is what got stolen, was my backpack and I had ten books in it, six of which were RPG books, as well as most of my dice

Indeed that's what pisses me off about this, that stuff isn't going to be of value to the guy who stole it, so it's probably been tossed in a ditch or dumpster by now

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, there's so much point-missing it's slightly surreal. I've always passed up doing a Robotech F&F reading because if people think my Rifts reviews are negative, you haven't seen my opinions on Robotech. Rewatching it - I just finished Macross last night - only pins home just divergent it is from the actual show. It's the game they wished the show was like. It's not quite as jarring as something like Prime Directive, but it's a similar take where it focuses on the toyetic military aspects and nothing else.

The fact that the first published adventure - Ghost Ship - is essentially a dungeon crawl (with a Zentraedi ship as the dungeon in question) says quite a bit about the game line.

Speaking of F&F and Palladium Games, has anyone done one of Splicers yet, cause it's a fascinating game, at least from a setting perspective

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ghost Ship even has giant rats. It's probably the only cute part, where a Zentraedi scientist is trying to upsize Earthly animals as a biological weapon. It doesn't work out, of course. But still! Giant rats! How more dungeoney can you get? Southern Cross... I don't know if I'll watch that, but I understand it was cancelled about twelve to thirteen episodes early since it bombed even in Japan, which probably explains a lot.

But yeah, Hunter / Hikaru has an amazing talent for bad and awful decisions. I realized partway through that Max is the big major hero who wins all the things and Hikaru just happens to be the protagonist.

Pretty much the only good thing about Southern Cross is it's opening and some of it's mechanical designs, although to be fair that can be said about a lot of Mecha series

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's honestly the best thing they did for Robotech, in my opinion, aside from getting Kevin Long to do some pretty solid robot art. It was by Jonathan Frater (known only for working on the Robotech line) and Jeffery Gomez (who worked on the Robotech line and... a lot of generic d20 / fantasy stuff like "Call to Arms: Ten-Foot Poles"). It's goofy and dumb but it's about the closest they ever come to embracing the musical angle... even if it was Mospeada and not Macross. But the bar was set so low it doesn't take a lot to clear it.

I'll definitely take instrumecha over "The Invid had a king too! And he's super evil!"

Having just watched Do You Remember Love?, it was deeply refreshing to have the love triangle resolved in a single scene once everything collides because it's a movie and we don't have time for that.

Granted Roy Fokker is somehow worse in that one than before, so I guess some sort of lovely guy balance is maintained.

Nope! It is interesting because it's a notable divergence by A) specifically being anti-crossover, and B) having some slightly different balance / design elements. It was really Carmen Bellaire's baby- a regular Palladium writer in the 2000s who later would have the Rifts Board Game kickstarter that imploded spectacularly.

I'll admit the "crossover" section is probably my least favorite part of Splicers for a lot of reasons

Also I'd say there's plenty of other interesting things to say about Splicers besides that part or the drama the author has been involved with

I really need to try and run Lancer one of these days

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

Also someone run Battle Century G! It's good, fairly lightweight, tactical, and has giant robots!

I'm honestly stuck between running several different Mecha games;

Battle Century G
Lancer
Mekton Zeta
an OSR system(using the Flame Pomerium concept one of my favorite blogs came up with a while ago)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gourdcaptain posted:

The Invid Regent is actually Carl Macek's fault with the abysmally boring Robotech II: The Sentinels aborted series... although the movie made out of the produced material was originally distributed by Palladium.

I still have that tape, also I've heard Sentinels was actually pretty decent in novel form

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

If D&D was good it wouldn't be an issue.

It is good, or at least most of the editions that aren't 3rd or 5th that is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Foglet posted:

But enough about some of the most vocal figures in the so called OSR movement.

Just because some of the people in the OSR movement are assholes doesn't mean everyone involved is one

Lurdiak posted:

Nobody's playing those, though.

Depends on whether we count OSR/Retroclones in that regard, cause if we do I'd say there's a decent amount

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sion posted:

"Nobody's playing 3.5 or 4e anymore."
'Ah, yes, but if we expand our definition of those absolute concepts, I'm sure we'll find something useful.'

You're twisting my words around and I don't like that

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Maybe you shouldn't choose to associate yourself with a "movement" where a not-insignificant amount of the highly visible voices are a collection of people who want to drag the hobby back 30-40 years in terms of both design sensibilities and demographics?

Just go "I like AD&D" instead.

If I did that there wouldn't be a single thing I like I'd be able to continue associating with, every form of hobby and media has it's assholes, and in most of them it's just an obnoxious minority who are that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I bought that Colonial Gothic bundle of holding cause it was actually a good deal, anyone have any thoughts on this line?