Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

hyphz posted:

Right. Now wind back to context. Are these things which would happen in the normal way if this was just a conversation? If not, is it surprising that the RPG conversation isn't a normal conversation and ends up having manipulation in it?

Every conversation can have manipulation in it. You agree, when you sit down to play this game, to try and minimize it for the goal of a good collaborative story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

DalaranJ posted:

thelazyblank has agreed to sit down to play this game. *steeples fingers* The fool has already fallen into my trap.

:bahgawd: aw, son of a bitch :bahgawd:

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Serf posted:

the FFG star wars system is bad, and genesys is even worse

Without getting too deep down this rabbit hole:

If you like FFG Star Wars, you'll like Genesys: FFG Star Wars 1.1 With 100% Less Star Wars. If you don't, you won't. It's a small step forward but it doesn't make many important changes other than making your own talent trees (now called the talent pyramid). The rest of the changes are mostly fixed the jagged edges into less jagged edges.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Elfgames posted:

i mean they really just got lucky as they put out a new edition at the same time as digital content producers were looking to branch out from video games imo

Yeah, don't give WotC too much credit. They deserve some because someone handed them a good thing and they didn't screw it up, but they definitely were in the right place at the right time through minimal fault of their own as far as I can tell.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Burning Wheel: It's a well designed unwieldly ball of relatively good stuff that's got too much to do anything with without a lot of effort.

Games I've played or ran in the last 12-ish months:

World Wide Wrestling
Urban Shadows
Feng Shui 2
Spycraft 2.0
Fight!
Street Fighter
Band of Blades
Blades in the Dark
Dragon Age
13th Age
Marvel Heroic
Mutants and Masterminds 3e
Monster of the Week
Torg Eternity
Operators
Dresden Files Accelerated
Atomic Robo Fate
Star Wars FFG
Into The Smoke (local indy dev'd game)

Games I want to play:

Unity
Blades Against Darkness
Copperhead County
Leverage/Whatever comes out as a final Cortex Prime system
New Scion

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

fool_of_sound posted:

It gives some but in my experience not nearly enough. In general the math feels very off for a star wars game. It would be at home in a grittier genre.

I don't know if I was using a badly programmed dice app, but when the one we used let me run a monte carlo, it skewed towards success with threat when all the dice were equal over 1000 rolls (did 5 greens/purple and 2/3 y/g v r/p). If that's the correct math, that would feel pretty Star Wars where you succeed as things go wrong around you.

It was a free webapp, though, so maybe their math has some issues.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Mister Olympus posted:

Paizo definitely stoked the flames but the backlash was happening before pathfinder existed, because those online communities were bigger, more hyperbolic, and troll-infested than Usenet.

PF filled a hole that had already wrenched itself out of the earth. Bear lore and “I’m angry that you can just MAKE enemies hit themselves MY VERISIMILITUDE” were memes from the moment materials were previewed

Bear Lore made me want to play 4e, because it meant it didn't take itself too seriously. I want my core mechanics taken seriously and the fluff taken less seriously in my action-adventure games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

xanthan posted:

This seemed like as good a place as any to ask, how's the Doctor Who game on Bundle of Holding right now? Would it work as a kid's first rpg? My cousins are 8 and 11 and love Doctor Who.

I haven't played the game in years, but I'd say yes. It's got some weird mechanical breakpoints, but nothing that you can't push through, and it has a lot of built-in Doctor Who flavor. Character creation was a little weird, and I think they could have done more with less, but the overall game isn't that hard, especially if you work with either the pre-gen characters or making the characters together.