Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

To Answer Gumslinger's question from last thread, book wise what you want is "The Dying Earth" by Jack Vance.

Adventure Time is the good D&D cartoon but it's not classic and also very goofball so y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I've started calling Meeples "Mans" and I think that's a better term for them.

Thanks for listening.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Is the Thing board game any good?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Premade Adventures are generally not great on their own. A friend tried to run a Star Trek Adventures premade adventure that didn't seem to understand the system or setting particularly well. Namely you could've replaced "planet" with "farmland" and "Romulans" with "Goblins" and the thing mostly would've fit in D&D.

But they can be mined. Using the above example, perhaps instead of having the Romulans attack on sight, have them make claim to the land for ____ reasons so that the PCs have to defraud them.

I say this mostly because combat is so deadly that having a "boss" character makes no sense, even less so when he waltzes into the middle of the room to monologue.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Plutonis posted:

how can a spinning helicopter lightsaber generate lift

I feel like this would be possible with a parachute above it making for a hot air-balloon effect.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I mean, there was the "large file transfer incoming" gag from AoS based on this idea so it can be a fun space to play in.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

How do I speedrun through someone's homemade campaign so that we can rotate GMs to someone who's not as inflexible or oblivious to the social conceits of gathering to play a game?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So what's evwryone's policies on takebacks in games?

My general goto is Mage Knight's "allow unless new information is revealed".

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Mario and Rabbids is actually the 4e videogame and you can't convince me otherwise.

Edit: Specifically in that each character has a standard, move and minor, as well as characters filling out roles prety well.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, wasn't Mearls jsut a guy who wanted Wizards to always be the best and also made boring, barely functional classes?

I never pegged him as an evil mastermind who hated 4e, just a nerd with regressive design taste.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I mean, that's fine, it's kind of not what D&D has become, but Dying Earth is a cool series.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'd rather play Lasers and Feelings than 5e so maybe you are onto something...

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

hyphz posted:

Was Lasers and Feelings a hack of Trollbabe, or the other way around?

Trollbabe is 2002 so probably the former.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Isn't Ryuutama pretty light on combat?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd have to figure out some kinda storyline or characters to adapt, yeah.

How about Secret Empire

Nextwave.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Are there any good, light, grid based miniatures games? Not 1 v Many or Dungeon Crawlers, but like, well balanced and well made games where you have little mans to control on the map and the rulebook isn't 100 billion pages?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Discovery is a mixed bag, but not unwatchable garbage. One of the strongest first seasons of a Trek show. Probably 2nd or 3rd deoending on how you rank stand out episodes vs overall consistency.

ALSO the best eps are both before the break and are the timeloop episode and the Paviian tree people episode.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

Oh, and the ending was mind-boggling - "haha, your punishment for mass murder and treason is to have to go be henpecked by your shrewish wife. The ol ball and chain, right fellas?" What decade was this show produced in??

Pavan episode was fine. I notice you picked the two that had mostly self-contained stories. In that sense they were the most like other Trek series.

I thought episode 13 did really well with what the show was trying to do, having exciting action and good pacing, and progressing the serial story without "reveals" that were obvious to everyone ages ago. It still had the characters attempting insane plans that could only work if nothing goes wrong, but I can forgive that - that's just how TV works sometimes. I am happy to judge Discovery on its own terms and if they want to make it serial instead of episodic, I'm fine with that. It's just that it's often pretty bad even on its own terms.

The ending wasn't a punishment. They found out why Mudd was running and did what they thought would rehabilitate or at least stop him.

They were wrong, but I get the thought.

I generally agree, I picked episodes that had stand alone villians, but charcter development that followed through.

Pavan ep had Saru learn to not be held back by his fears, and his experience there later helped him understand what Tyler/Voq was going through. It's a good Trek ep that informs that character for the rest of the series.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

There's a reason people say to skip season 1.
Honestly, with TNG, I say cherrY pick a couple eps then go right into DS9.
Though the first season of DS9 is pretty rough too tbh.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Strike! If you want combat otherwise make Cortex+ hack. This has literally never let me down.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Planescape is good but only if you use Sigil as a occasional destination.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

It's best adventure was abput god mugging though.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Strike! or BD&D are pretty good at 1-shots since they are relatively light.
I personally prefer the former, as it has some really nice combat crunch and the rest is light enough that it's not an issue.

EDIT: Or 2e isn't too bad if you don't have clerics or wizards. Even if you do, there are shortcuts that exist.
Skip chargen if this is the case and just run using the pregens in whatever module you choose. (I like "B4 - The Lost City")

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 3, 2018

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of these stores has a loving ton of old out-of-print RPGs and board games, all still being sold for original list price. Which is both good and bad.

But this store also carries zero current indie games. No stand-alone indies, nothing Powered by the Apocalypse, not even a loving Fate Core book. Nothing. I think the closest they have is LotFP.

Yo tell them to hit me up with some 4e book prices.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Has anyone else developed a fascination with weird artifacts of the 90s CCG boom? I've been buying up On the Edge booster boxes and it has really brought me back to those halcyon days where there were new CCGs coming out based on whatever license was around, and of course they were all featured in InQuest (also I think Over the Edge was a super great RPG). I'd love to grab some Arcadia boxes, but those are pretty dear these days.

Bruh.

I have a couple of boxes of buffy and star trek premade decks that I really want to play, also the DBZ TCG...

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Sometimes, in moments of lucidity, I wonder why I'm filling my house with cards I'll probably never have an opportunity to play.

Hey man, I mean, we played a drsft of the Spongebob TCG... :v:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Autonomous Monster posted:

There was a time when I desperately, desperately wanted to get into that weirdo Hecatomb game Wizards came out with.

In the end I never saw a single card in the wild.

Hecatomb was just watered down magic, my group didn't like it very much.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

hyphz posted:

Wasn’t it also designed by the Synnibarr guy?

Not according to a cursory wiki search.

Synibarr seems to be a cool setting idea with a bad system?
Hecatomb was a cool system idea with a bland as gently caress setting.

Also it didn't have anything beyond it's system idea (fuse monsters) so it kinda died.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh shame, because Terraformed Mars but then that stuff is lost and earth may also be lost seems pretty rad.
I guess Trigun still exist though!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, I always had a harder time with RPGs because of the rules and emotional investments, but that sounds like a real good time.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Covok posted:

:suicide: I can't believe I made Ready Player One for TTRPG.

Nah, though, I just couldn't decided to do something with Marvel or DC for my next superhero game so I thought "why not both? And do anime too!"

Though, I guess I could just set it on Earth-7642 which is where Marvel and DC set all their crossovers. But, then, no anime. Or could there be?

Why don't uh,
Why don't you just say "we're doing super heroes, pick your favourite from Marvel/DC/Anime?

If you want to do some fun stuff, Galactus ate Krypton, Or have Frieza Employ some Kree or something, just really let your players go hog-wild.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Covok posted:

I've been running Marvel Heroic Roleplaying by Margret Weiss for quite some time. After playing it for so long, the conflict system started to get really, really boring.

To liven things up, I decided to try and expand on the combat system and add some more dials and knobs and make it more tactical to add more to the experience.

I understand this would not be for everyone and a lot of people will dislike it.

If you like Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and have some time, can you give it a look and provide your thoughts.

You can find it here.

This uh... Why even play Cortex+ with this?
Just use Strike! For combat if you want supers tactical since it pretty much supports all the superpowers and superheroes people like.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Lol at people who get unironically mad at Plutonis.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh wow this guy sounds unpleasant, leave your weird AU politics out of elfgames probably?

Anyhow let's talk about Eberron and how cool Eberron is. Does anyone else fill Eberron full of guns though because I do.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Helical Nightmares posted:

Sharn, City of Towers is one of the more underrated campaign setting books out there.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharn-City-Towers-Eberron-Supplement/dp/0786934344

Oh poo poo this looks very good!

Yeah, I think one of the things I love about Eberron is that it's mostly suggestions and plot hooks without being pre-written lore. Lots of cool places to go and do (especially in and around Breland) and it seems pretty futureproof as far as character types go with it's uncharted territories and cities of monsters type stuff.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yawgmoth posted:

Five Nations is another book in the same vein, but for the 5 countries involved in the Last War. Each one gets a prestige class, a handful of plot hooks, a few factions, and a couple monsters along with the usual important cities/locations/demographics stuff. Really great stuff for fleshing out a given country, doubly useful if you want to run a more "political intrigue"-y style game. Don't know how I feel about the reputation system in there since I've never used it, but it seems like a thing that would function well enough if that's a thing you want to use.

I definitely want a reputation system, and was going to rip out Zeitgeist's rep, but a setting specific one also sounds pretty rad. Does it port to 4e well?

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of the things I loved about Five Nations is how they described the countries in terms of the population; you'd get a typical day in the life of some generic guy, little interesting facts about the people, what the national pastimes were, stuff like that.

This is sick as hell.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

hope I'm not too late to Eberron chat, but it's definitely my favourite "established" setting in TTRPGs and I ran it a ton back in HS and undergrad and kinda always end up returning to it in some way

if they were to do a 5e campaign book it might end up being the only good thing about d&d currently

IMO, you are never too late for Eberron chat.

Tbh if they just released Eberron as it's own thing, that would probably be preferable.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Covok posted:

This is a question to the fellow GMs out there, but what "character" do you find you default to without trying? Like, when you don't know what to do, what do you end up doing with a person? Why?

I tend to have cartoon characters because funny voices are easy and characterization beyond 3 things is hard.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I too want a better written sci-if Exalted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh, I won't be running anything for a while other than Eberron.