Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm gonna actually run some poo poo this year, starting with a few playtest sessions of Kamigakari.

So far, so good (except for my plot, which was basically :shrug: IDOL TURF WARS :shrug:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

buy a pound of dice and let god sort out the rest

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

grassy gnoll posted:

Continental US, and equal to or cheaper than one dollar per d20.

Unless I want to pay a ransom in shipping, I think I'm gonna have to suck it up and wait for the Chessex booth at one of the local conventions.

I did this originally, and all I got were some ugly-rear end swirled dice and more of those kanji d6s than I could give away. I guess if anyone wants some moon-rune d6s, hit me up.

Yeah, actually. I could go through my dice collection and see if I can come up with a set of same-colored D20s to trade.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

Collaboration is always good, except when you're playing Godlike or PATROL

Or Paranoia!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

SO GUYS

Are there any Japanese table top games/games in general I should look into if I was a fan of Kamigakari and Double Cross? If it helps, I'm a big fan of how they let you mix and match thematic elements to make a character.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Tenra, should have mentioned that, though I find the fate bookkeeping to be a little more fiddly than I'd like in a tabletop game.

I don't know anything about Shinobigami, but I've heard that it's a pvp-oriented game; is that true?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I don't know from Ab3, but I'm pretty sure the original saying is something like "the worst thing ever written is better than the best story you've ever had in your head". Which is a calculated offensive statement, designed to motivate you to prove yourself, to put in the work to actualize your ideas.

This "Ab3" statement is nonsensical and basically the complete opposite, and I'm sorry it had such a profound effect on you. You should make something that's all your own, it'll give you a new perspective on this stuff.

I misread that as "if I was a fan of Katamari" for a second, and that would be an awesome RPG. Roll to...roll!

First, you coat a d100 in glue...

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Sion posted:

So, on the subject of literally fuckin' anything else how's everyone's week shaping up? I'm back at work tomorrow oh no

There were some miscommunications in my game Monday that led to everyone kind of being down on it and I went back in to my volunteer gig today only to find that woops, all our systems were down.

Great start to the week!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

NachtSieger posted:

That sucks, have you tried :killing:

Ah, if I could only kill the menace electric.

Instead I sent an e-mail to my boss. :shrug:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

NachtSieger posted:

Onw down. Now what about your Monday game? :thunk:

Well, it looks like it's all resolved itself in the end, so there's that.

(you were there, nerd)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

DigitalRaven posted:

Been weirdly productive for a couple of weeks now, using reminders and checklists rather than my memory for task management. Doesn't have any of the other markers of a hypomanic episode, so I'm not sure of the cause. I'm cooking more and my flat's less messy, and as a result I'm feeling... what's that emotion, the one that makes people bare their teeth and make weird barking noises, but that doesn't involve punching people? That one.

Rehearsing this week for a gig, so I hope I can get someone else to write the notes in my Sunday night game because after eight and a half hours drumming over the week, my hands are going to be hosed. Hopefully it's going to be the last session of our L5R beta game. Hopefully both because there's bits of the system I hate with a passion, and because we've been playing this game weekly for a year now and I need a break from fantasy samurai for a bit.

What issues did you have with the L5R beta, btw?

I've been looking at it, but it's hard for me to get over WEIRD FFG DICE BUY A NEW SET OR THE APP.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Starship skill checks have entirely broken math that results in high-level characters literally being unable to operate starships at their level. To be fair, they say they'll fix this last one, but... have they? I haven't checked.

Yeah, they put out errata on a web page somewhere....

Here, in fact.

e: still looks pretty fast scaling for stuff you're supposed to use often but I'm almost as bad at math as Paizo so I'm not sure.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, sounds like Bliss Stage.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Double Cross might be hackable for Shadowrun if you want to go less grim and gritty and more 'yeah I can throw cars with my mind, what about it :smug:'

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

r20 is definitely the best choice, but there are options depending on what you want/don't want:

-MapTools is a lot like r20 but you connect over a network instead of over the internet/r20's site, which is good if the site's being fucky for some reason. Downsides: can be a nightmare to set up depending on everyone's firewall situation (last maptools game I was in was eventually abandoned after there was a stretch of weeks in a row when maptools didn't want to cooperate with someone's network/router/hamachi/firewall), less friendly interface.

-irc is extremely light and simple, supports logging, and it's very easy to set up a dicebot. Downsides: theater of the mind only, friendo, might be tricky to set up for the first time.

-discord is IRC but more people use it and it doesn't log as well. DEALER'S CHOICE

-google docs lets you set up a map, I guess, but why would you play a tabletop game over google docs?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Drone posted:

Is Fantasy Grounds still a thing people use? Every time I've tried it's been a nightmare to actually get the networking to work correctly (needing to use Hamachi or a VPN or whatever to get things to work, and even then it just kept failing).

Otherwise apparently there are people who use Tabletop Simulator for RPG's, but as much as I like that thing, I feel like it would be kinda clunky for that.

I personally run my stuff in Roll20 + Discord. Roll20 for character sheets, handouts, and rolling (and if you play in a system that requires maps etc. for battles), and Discord for voice, tabletalk that happens during the game, and idle chitchat amongst the group during non-gaming times. I think that combo works pretty well, but your level of engagement with Roll20 is pretty highly dependent on the type of game you're running... I imagine Pathfinder would rely heavily on it.

oh right, I forgot TTS. It focuses more on the physical aspects of the game (rolling dice etc) and I find it pretty laggy, but if you want the actual feeling of sitting around a table rolling dice that's your pick right there. Other con: Not free.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I have issues with lots of stuff that's fey-centric but if this increases the chances of my being able to set up Jem and the Holograms in 5e I am all loving for it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

LuiCypher posted:

Didn't 3.5e murder the supplement market anyways? The only supplements I ever see nowadays are first-party supplements, although I understand that definition is very loose considering the consultant-driven nature of writing RPG books that just happen to be published by the first-party.

Pathfinder's got a robust 3pp scene into the present day, but Pathfinder is basically 3.5 anyway.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Pathfinder 2: The Search for More Money

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Belatedly, I've been playing Lancer and it still feels kind of extremely incomplete on the stuff-that-doesn't-involve-giant-robot front, and also feels kind of.... fragile? for lack of a better term on the combat front.

This is an improvement from earlier versions, where the key to victory was to make a mech that ignored things like 'communications' and 'life support' in favor of menacing with spikes of guns.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Lemon-Lime posted:

1.6 should have a large setting infodump included, so that should help. I wouldn't expect the non-mech stuff to get fleshed out mechanics-wise, though.

I'd at least like to to get to the point where anything where you're not in a mech causes the game to grind to a halt before transforming into mother-may-I (I am in a game where mech battles are relatively infrequent and planning for them a large feature, so my character whose backstory did not justify any skills in planning basically just trains her wonder dog while the grown-ups talk because there's no way she can meaningfully contribute beyond random 50% rolls).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

IcePhoenix posted:

I have a silly question probably

I've been sort of skimming some of the threads at work and I'd like to participate in one, and I saw a new CYOA thread that interests me (the Dungeon Keeper one). Do I need to know any systems or anything for a thread like that or is it basically all just improv stuff?

Looks like you won't need to know anything in particular!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

My Lovely Horse posted:

What we ended up with, by the way, was a city under martial law besieged by the undead while a wave of serious, guillotine-style revolution was rolling in just behind the PCs, all backed by a mystic secret involving the god of laws not being entirely what everyone thought. It was very cool.

How did the elves figure into it?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

In that case, is it a bad idea to try and GM a game myself if I’ve only played a TTRPG a couple times?

I wouldn't host a game for randoms, but if you get some people you know and trust together, that might work nicely.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Covok posted:

Well, I've been flirting with the idea of playing a Final Fantasy Inspired roleplaying game. More as a thought experiment than anything else. Looked at FF d6. It looks like all the FF games are a little disorganized, though. Also, why do none of them use a battle map with a front and backrow for combat? Seems like such an easy thing to just put in.

FFd6 is better than any of the other alternatives because it's incredibly simple and easy to pick up and play.

The downside is that it's not balanced all that well.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Plutonis posted:

It was super easy for me to run (I'm a lazy gm) but the balance issues with the party were one of the factors that burned me out on the game. Maybe I should just run for four people and not any more than that.

I wrote up a list of possible balance things a while back and it was mostly 'gently caress paladins' and 'gently caress gamblers, but for a different reason'.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

So last night I figured out that there are at least 3 unofficial Final Fantasy RPGs, not counting ones written in other languages or designed for play over chat. And FFD6 is strangely hard to find. I mean, I can google it and find links directly to PDFs, but it appears to have no webpage.

It lived on the GitP forums while it was being worked on.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

hyphz posted:

Oh god so it includes Twisted and you can play as a fire breathing venomous were-roller coaster.

Of course I have to ask, does this include the game book itself? And can it be crossed with Read Or Die?

Better yet, can you make yourself into a hero by reading books and play Maya Schroedinger from Wild Arms 3?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Slimnoid posted:

Is there any superhero RPG out there that's both good and isn't an overcomplicated mess of mechanics?

I like Double Cross.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Covok posted:

I forget, but didn't Animorphs have a person get turned into a fly and eaten and they turn someone into a rat and just left him that way for the rest of his life so that he wouldn't give away their secret?

Yes to the second, and he spends the rest of the life mentally screaming at anyone who comes near so people think the island they stranded him on is haunted.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Oh man, that definitely looks interesting.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yawgmoth posted:

The correct spelling of american football is FOOTBAW!!

Yes, the caps lock is important. :colbert:
FOOBAW

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Here's all the reasons you shouldn't play Champions with John Wick

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Getsuya posted:

Interestingly there is a parody tabletop RPG written in Japan in which you play weaboos playing an American-made RPG based on Japanese culture. The rules of the game itself are meant to be the rules for the game-within-a-game, but the intro states that the only way to actually have fun with it is to properly RP the weaboo playing the game.

The most hilarious part is that the misinformation about Japan shown in the game isn’t nearly wrong enough. You could say that Japanese perceptions of how weaboos see Japan are just as misinformed as the weaboos perceptions of Japan are.

Would you mind telling us some more about Weeaboo RPG?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

fool_of_sound posted:

Actually I was thinking, mostly as just a thought experiment: how do you emulate something like Yu Yu Hakusho? Specifically the problem that, while all the characters are of reasonably similar power, fights tend to happen one on one, sequentially, while the other heroes basically commentate. Dragon Ball Z does this too.

Is there a way to make commenting on someone else fighting while you wait your turn fun and mechanically interesting?

TBZ has rules for scenes where not every PC is present that might be worth cribbing (the GM can have people hand out metacurrency, or play NPCs, or so forth).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I like the idea of a sex-positive tentacle game (esp. if it's replacing tentacle bento or whatever it was called?) but that is the least sexy art I've ever seen on anything ever.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I wish there was a version of 3.5 that kept the parts that were good, namely the Binder class, and tossed the parts that were bad, namely everything else.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Slimnoid posted:

Secrets of Pact Magic exists so that's pretty much the same thing.

This is going to sound needlessly picky but I don't really like how SoPM handles things like influence and I don't like how few of their vestiges have any basis in real mythology, which was the cool part for me.

e: also Grimoire of Lost Souls was extremely high in fetish content and bad ideas

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Tropes and Trades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Things I've played in the last year:
Kamigakari
PTU
Strike!
13th Age
L5R
TBZ
FFRPG 4e
Broken World
LANCER

Things I'd like to play:
a TBZ game that doesn't immediately die, holy poo poo
FFd6 but, like, with all the balance issues fixed
Maybe more 13th Age, since the game I was in was plagued with character issues.