Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Ettin posted:

While researching for this I brushed up on Penny Arcade, CAD, PvP, the Walkyverse comics, Megatokyo, Mac Hall, VG Cats, Questionable Content, Fanboys, Loserz, Full Frontal Nerdity, Life of Riley, and Real Life Comics. There's a little of all of them in there, I hope.
Good god, man. You sure you're OK after all that?

quote:

(I also found some other comics. Have you read God Mode? Look at this poo poo.)
:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

And if something worked, no shame in repeating it.
Quick little storytime: I'd played in a 1e AD&D game for about 5-6 years IRL, weekly if possible (considering people's other commitments). It was the best game I've played in currently, and even ended up having to retire my character when it eventually ran down to just me and the DM. This ended about, oh, 7-8 years ago at this point. Anyway, about 7-8 months ago I ran into him at a local coffee joint (where he went a day or two before sessions to relax and work on the game), and we caught up over a cuppa and snacks. Long and the short of it is, he had 5-6 years worth of campaign settings and adventures to use, so why not put them to use? He got another group together, has been running them through a lot of the same adventures I'd played in (to a point), and the game has played out quite differently. He joked about how he might have to start coming up with new material, as the new group is heading in directions we never thought of going.

Covok posted:

I'm just thinking maybe I'm bad at this and that bugs me for some reason.

TBQH, you need to chill the gently caress out for a sec. Games can and will dissolve over anything, or even nothing at all, and it's going to happen. Since that AD&D game, I think I've played in about 10 or 11 different games (that I remember off the top of my head), and I can't say any of them ran for any particularly long period of time. A lot of it is just people have other poo poo going on in the background that you may or may not know about, and there's gently caress all you can do about it. Running a game is like herding cats. Once in a while, it seems like everything might be going your way, but most of the time you're wasting your breath. :shrug:

Best thing I can recommend, is find a game you loving LOVE. Not the coolest thing on the block, not something you heard might be cool, but something you're intimately familiar with. The kind of game where you'd go and do all the weird kinky poo poo in the bedroom with it if it were a person. Find out what game is That One Game™ for you, even if it might take a little bit to do so. Once you do, go out and find a group of players, ones who'd be willing to watch that weird kinky poo poo. Vetting players is gonna suck, it's gonna take forever, and sometimes you might not end up with the Best Group on the Planet™. But, once you get that group, and it all just loving clicks into place like that long piece for your 4-line Tetris, run that game. Run that game as long as you can, and run that poo poo into the ground. Make some memories of some great poo poo, even if not every session is super serious and is 3 hours of loving about and having fun out of a 4-hour session.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Covok posted:

You're right. I think that was me just letting a "bad thought" in and letting it get to me. Sorry about that.

Nah, it happens to everyone. You play in so many games, all of them fall apart for whatever reason, and you're the only connecting factor in all of them, so your monkey brain (looking for patterns in the way all our monkey brains do) starts to be like "Is it me that's causing poo poo to fall apart?" That question's going to come up at some point, for some sooner than others, but everyone's had that thought cross their mind at one point or another. That's not a "bad thought", that's a thought.

Dwelling on it to the point where it starts becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy; that's the toxic poo poo, and that's the poo poo you gotta quit doing. I'm not a psychologist, but I took a couple of courses back in high school around the turn of the millennium. :agesilaus: Seriously, though, the fact that you're dwelling on this kinda poo poo tells me there's other, worse poo poo going on in your life and/or in your head that you're trying to work out, and gaming would be a safety valve on this, if games didn't up and collapse on you. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Now of course, I'm not you, so the best I can do is go the Bob Newhart route https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw and tell you to knock that poo poo off, but I can't help you with that, that's something you gotta do on your own. All I can do is put the foot in the rear end to get you out of that rut, you gotta be the one to actually stand up and get on with poo poo. Whether it's keeping on trying to find a game, or getting help for whatever poo poo's going on that's making you stick with those negative thoughts. Gotta tell ya, being able to bounce ideas off of someone, whether it's IRL or online, a sibling or a stranger, is far and away better than just keeping poo poo to yourself. That applies to both to the good (like gaming ideas and poo poo) as well as the bad (whatever rough poo poo might be going on in your life at the moment).

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Covok posted:

I mean you're not wrong that I've been dealing with some bullshit. If you been in the job thread, then you know that I've been having problems with an employee that finally got resolved, I hope. But I'm still dealing with some lingering stress from all that. And you're not wrong that I kind of wish I could be gaming but I'm also just loving tired of all the bullshit that comes with it. A couple Pages back I had a big rant about that the derailed the thread for a few pages and I've been taking a break from gaming because I just needed it.
Yeah, just caught up with all that, and yeah, I can totally see why you're stressed the gently caress out. Hell, I got called a liar and N-lover at work when I told a customer we didn't have any PS3 controllers. People just fuckin' suck sometimes.

quote:

My 4e game died and I kind of just loving had enough. Been gaming non stop since my sophomore year of college. Which is when I was introduced to tabletop role-playing games. Been running one to two games a week since then. And I'm 25 going on 26 in February. So that's like 5 years or something. I got burnt out.

But I've been itching to run something. Because I don't got any like friends in the immediate area anymore. All of my friends moved away years ago. Not too many people my age who still live in this area. And it's hard to make friends with shared interests in so many Nerds have poor hygiene among other issues. Tried to make friends in different groups and I had varying results. So gaming is normally my social outlet so I guess maybe yeah I'm kind of getting backed up on that regard.
Maybe not try running, but just playing every so often? I'd say try to find an Adventurer's League nearby and be on the other side of the screen, take some of the pressure of coming up with poo poo off your shoulders. I've been down to Brothers Grim down in Selden once or twice from upstate (and know a couple of guys who frequent there as well), but that's typically been for card games, so I'm not too familiar if they have an AL there. However, even a cursory google search tells me there's a decent amount of game shops on the island, so I'm sure there's gotta be something close to you that does a gaming night.

I'd also posit that you might need to look into a more rules-light system. A lot of the games you've said you were running, like D&D 4e, L5R, Burning Wheel, DCC, Dragon Age, those are all really crunchy games. Even the PbtA poo poo (and I'll include Dungeon World in this) requires a lot more work to keep going than they first appear to. It couldn't hurt to look into some of the fluffier games out there, even if it's a one-shot of Lasers and Feelings, just to lighten the mood every so often.

quote:

To not make this all about me, how about a headline from "You Don't loving Say" Weekly.

Showed up on my newsfeed.

UA Ranger, sentence 1: "Over the past year, you’ve seen us try a number of new approaches to the ranger, all aimed at addressing the class’s high levels of player dissatisfaction and its ranking as D&D’s weakest class by a significant margin."

Crawford tweet: "What’s funny is that the ranger isn’t even in the bottom third when it comes to class popularity. Frankly, the revised ranger helped feed an internet-fueled view of the class that doesn’t align with the majority of players. I wasn’t sorry to end it."

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Rhapsody of Blood

Oh poo poo, I've been looking for something like this for a bit. Thanks for pointing it out, man.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

remusclaw posted:

I had not intended my morning cybertech with wizards pitch to go in an anime direction but I honestly have to say I kind of like old Sega RPG's more than I like Shadowrun so it is a possibility.

Seriously, seriously just inject that good poo poo straight into my veins

but also check out Phantasy Star 0 for the DS. It's based off of the Phantasy Star Online universe of games, but it also has a very wild west aesthetic to it as well. It's like, society right on the cusp of rediscovering old magitech poo poo but not quite full "mirrored shades & pink mohawks" cyberpunk.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Completely off-topic, but I've seen this picture (and others like it, all coincidentally by the same guy as the first) and always thought it would be cool as hell if those were the typical housecats. I mean sure, it'd be weird for players the first time one swoops out of the awnings of a house to grab a mouse running by, but I've always liked the idea.

That, and the Caucasian Ovcharka as pets for humans (guardians for the children), and riding dogs for halflings. Love me some big doggos, too.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Bob Quixote posted:

I don't know if this is a real thing or something that I am only remembering half-right, but I swear I ran across a blog somewhere and the author of it had converted the full spell list for wizards in D&D into 1st level spells and had them de-powered and scaling with caster level.

Does that sound familiar to anyone else? I've been trying to look for it all and its driving me nuts.

Kinda sounds like Wonders and Wickedness, from the Necropraxis guy. This is aimed more at OSR-style systems, though, so if you were thinking of something a little more recent, ya got me.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

So in other news, one of the guys from Eden Studios (Unisystem games, All Flesh Must Be Eaten) is starting work on his own OSR-ish system. Something along the lines of not wanting to keep licensing systems from people, but having a system of their own creation. I did see one of the classes was Hoplite, so it very easily could have more of a Greco-Roman bent than the usual D&D setting, but that's all I've seen so far.

Source: He also owns one of the bigger FLGS in my area, and we got to talking about that and other stuff last night after the weekly Pokemon TCG league.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

LongDarkNight posted:

Is there a shop bigger than ZP in the area?

If by "in the area" you mean less than an hour's drive, there's Kirwan's Game Store down in Catskill, which has run a nearly 300-person yugioh tournament, the local 40k guys, and still the merchandise side of the store have room to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Liquid Communism posted:

It needs to move up, I want another Nextwave run.

There's literally never a bad time for more Nextwave. I'd love some more X-Statix as well, but that's never gonna happen.