Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

grassy gnoll posted:

I need to buy a couple of sets of transparent d20s in five-die blocks - five red, five blue, etc. Anywhere I can actually buy individual dice in specific colors for not appalling rates? This is turning out to be more difficult than I anticipated.

You could try aliexpress. They sell dice at a reasonable rate. 10 d20s for $4.25. And there's plenty of other sellers for d20s. The only down sides are that it takes a month or longer to get them and there's no guarantee that they'll be exactly what you expect.

EDIT Some sellers don't charge shipping either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

Anyone have any cool AW scenes/ideas/threats/whatever? Finally playing a game soon and want a good backstock of apocalyptica to barf forth, etc. I'll be mining the AW thread and probably the official forums too, but they're loooong.

Take a Shakespearean tragedy and convert the idea to a post-apoc setting.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm willing to die on the hill of Rolemaster is a good game, fite me

Tell me what you like about it. I'm more interested in hearing what you like about it, instead of complaints about it.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Thanks for the responses about Rolemaster, they were interesting to read.

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't like Rolemaster's tables or the trend in critical hit tables it seems to have inspired. But critical hit results are not a problem for me, personally, because my brain has been warped by watching a billion gory movies and I can describe 10 gruesome ways to kill someone with a halberd on a dare.

I don't think the critical result tables were meant to help describe what happened, rather they are there to make the rare roll's result random and exciting.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

Everything in European history unfolds as we know it, despite the fact that even before my Native American Elves start sailing in with plate armor and caravels, priests and druids can summon infinite food and cast wish, and there're entire nations of people living under mountain ranges and poo poo like that.

Truly, I am the verisimilitudiest.

EDIT: Haha gently caress

I do have orcs stand in for Mongols, would the Mongols that live today be offended? There ancestors did some terrible things under Genghis Khan after all. to give a more modern example, would Germans be offended today if I portrayed the Nazis as orcs?

Does this guy ever think about what it would be like if his ancestors were portrayed by orcs or some other fantasy race associated with evil? He can bring up Genghis Khan all he wants, but Europeans probably did more terrible stuff than the Mongols did.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

I liked the ones where someone decided D&D needed to properly represent dozens of historical currencies with applicable exchange rates or have exhaustive lists of medieval cheeses. You'd always learn something interesting from that

I would love it if someone made a thread to catalog these kinds of things(?) This is the kind of thing I could read all day long. The previous volume of Pyramid magazine did something like this too.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

lofi posted:

:stonk:

Please tell us how it goes.

Yeah, I want to see an after action report.

Is this going to be for some die hard Rick and Morty fans?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

Completely and utterly unrelated to this, my X-Men game has been running for 220 days now. It's no Blackbird Dreaming, but I think that might be at least a personal best :shobon:

That's over half a year, so good job. Most games are lucky to last a month.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I'd actually like to know something myself:

- What's your longest-running campaign?
- What system was it in?
- Was it online or in-person?
- What year did it begin?
- How long did it run?

The longest running campaign I've been in as a player has been running since 2007 and is still going. It used GURPS and its online.

Longest campaign I've GMed was probably a couple years, with GURPS and it was online. Probably took place several years ago.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

I think I would be interested in seeing what John Wick makes, rather than just angry at the thought of John Wick making things. :shobon:

Well you're in luck, he's written a whole lot of stuff. Now you can go and read it and make up your own mind on things.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

Are we still doing the dueling discords thing for SA TG ala Biggie and Tupac

Actually I think there's three of them now.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

So the first thing to realize about GURPS is that the point value doesn't necessarily translate to combat effectiveness, because if you dump a hundred points into face and technical skills, it ain't gonna help you shoot better. I suppose this is rather tautological, but still.

And then, consider that a Gun is an Easy skill based on DX. This means that increasing the skill to DX+6 costs 20 points, and then anything past that is going to need more than it costs to increase your DX directly. The sample characters from the SEALs in Vietnam book only have 13 DX and DX+2 in guns, which costs a grand total of 63 points for a skill of 15, but then most modern battle rifles have an Accuracy of 4 to 5, which will let you shoot at an effective 19 skill with a single Aim action.

This is a rather roundabout way of saying that 250 points for a character isn't a lot: you're going to "cap" your weapon skill pretty easily with the first 80-100 points anyway, and the rest of it is just making you a more broader-skilled character.

I think a good way of looking at this is, do you want your characters to be as skilled as those Navy Seals or less skilled? Are the characters going to be ordinary soldiers or special forces type soldiers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Thats good to know, I'm really new to GURPS and am still learning the basics of how stuff works. I realize modern combat tends to already be finicky in most tabletops and GURPS is famous for its rules, but hey go big or go home!

Out of curiosity, for combat how do you handle defense in a modern gunfight? I'm reading through the tactical shooting supplement and it has some good suggestions for cover, jinking between spots and a few other small things for defence, but the main thing I'm getting is mostly be the first to shoot.

Be careful of the Tactical Shooting book. Its a bit too comprehensive. Take what you want to make things interesting (like cover and small things for defense) and avoid things that might bog down combat too much. Also yes, combat is deadly in GURPS and guns make things worse.

quote:

Less skilled, but not so horribly. I wanted the players to be able to have a couple areas they do well in and definitely hold a good degree of competence in the battlefield, but not be murder gods while still leaving it open for them to have some other skills. So kind of an inbetween I guess, in terms of skills they'd be more gruntish, but flexible.

In my experience, I'd say put the point total between 150 and 200. This assumes that they take more than just gun skills. Seals in Vietnam should give you a rough guideline of the kind of skills the characters should possess.

EDIT You might want to put together a template of skills that all the characters should possess, so that you know they'll have necessary non-combat skills.