Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

13th Age is also a hell of a lot easier to find players for, since it doesn't carry the baggage ginned up against 4e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Probably not so much anymore.

We used to average one or two drive-by shits a night with stuff about "Tabletop WoW" and "participation trophy edition," but that's just what you got playing in an LGS.

If I try to get a 4e game going with my regular group, I'll immediately lose about 2/3ds of my players. Then the remaining players atrophy out until we go back to PF or whatever.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

13th Age is OK for beginners, but hard to recommend for your first RPG ever.

I'd go with something ultra lite, like Lasers and Feelings, Cthulhu Dark, or that one Infocom based thing. Maybe just free-form a mystery or something?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All of this is proceeding from the mistaken assumption that light games are a gateway into RPGs.

This is completely wrong and a disservice to light and crunchy games alike.

Nooooo - if your friends want to play elf adventures, nothing will suck the joy and wonder out of them faster than spreadsheeting a 3.5 D&D character, wading through PF's feat lists, or building a GURPS hero from scratch.

If they enjoy the experience of a lite game but say "hey this is fun, but I wish we were calculating how many coins' worth of encumbrance the heroes can carry based on a modifier derived from a stat," then smile and reach for AD&D. But don't start them on that, Jesus.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh we're playing an 8th level pathfinder campaign? Sure, it'll take about eight minutes to create a character concept, level it seven times, then choose from thousands of feat, equipment, and spell options.

E:

Kai Tave posted:

Several hours later he was tired and cranky and was feeling like Pathfinder might be more trouble than it's worth.

He might just be super-insightful, it takes most people years to reach that conclusion.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 27, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Newbies are going to take ten minutes just reading over the class and race sections.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's also a pretty big disservice to throw something like D&D at a new player, since this is where they'll be forming impressions of the hobby.

Which is primarily why I'd recommend a rules-lite game. You're getting an experience that's common to every game, ie: a player character, setting, NPCs, and a conflict resolution system.

If players are uncomfortable with those fundamentals, added complexity won't make RPGs more accessible.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I appreciate that his behavior cost him his "having a name" privileges.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

because it's at least suspected, if not explicitly known, that he likes to name-search himself and then turn his harassment crowd against people who poo poo-talk him.

I can confirm this. I made one social media mention of him, then was directly sealioned and subjected to hack attempts.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What better way to come out to your parents about your uncanny valley octopus face fetish?

E:

moths fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 28, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

With harassers like him, it's also an investigation.

"Who told you these things and where did you read about my behavior?" is basically "Where do I need to point more stooges?"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

"I don't like this thing and no one should like it because people liking it is actively hampering my enjoyment of this hobby"

The issue isn't that nobody should like D&D - It's that better games wither in its shade while it coasts on brand-recognition momentum.

Which is actually hampering the hobby as a whole, yes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

I guess my question then is: is it? In like an actual provable way not based on anecdotal evidence?

Given how the industry shuns all market research, that's unanswerable.

But yes. Looking at the dearth of competitors who survive even two years, D&D can safely claim a stranglehold on RPGs. Their only profitable rival has been Pathfinder, which is still D&D sold under a different brand.

It's basically the same problem any third political party faces in a two-party system. You need to achieve a critical level of popularity to be viable, but that's impossible while the status quo remains acceptably mediocre.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Blizzard has the advantage of an unrestricted view of player behavior. So if Dungeon B is getting 300% more traffic than Dungeon A, it doesn't matter how many top 1% players say A is just better, when B is actually where players spend time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

D&D is pretty garbage overall, largely due to its culture and fanbase. All of the appeal comes from nostalgia and its role as "default fantasy. "

My Lovely Horse posted:

you can always play the actually good 4th edition

I wish this were my case.

Everybody can always find a lovely Next or PF group, though. Yay.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

This can be as simple as telling your players to come up with a reason why their PCs have known each other for a while.

Participation definitely takes the bite out of a railroad, and don't be afraid to expand on this.

Ask each player what their character believes is in the ziggurat that's worth gambling their life for, why they're determined to enter it.

Give them the opportunity to author their own motivation, or it'll default to "because that's whe the module says we go."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

5e was also written as a mearlsy-mouthed apology to awful people for everything that 4e did well.

It was like the idiot behind 4e Essentials got to design a whole edition ... because that's exactly what happened.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

RP as an e-sport is the road that leads to zany improv crews trying to out-zing each other. I gamed back when it was associated with satanic homicides, but an improv schmoo-festival would make me burn my books.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Puzzles are poo poo when your character is a hyper-intelligent elf or whatever with 200 years experience but you, the player, is just a regular guy.

Or when your character is a moron but you've been doing puzzles like this one since you were six.

Don't use puzzles.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The combat side of things are already accounted for mechanically, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You can't house-rule the empty-souled assholes and idiots off of the 5e credits page, their damage is already done.

gradenko_2000 posted:

a D&D designed to appeal to the AP crowd would be the second time ever that D&D ever had a design focus, so might as well

It would actually be the third time. The second time, the focus was "appeal to people who hated the last time we focused design."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I can't tell if those bottlecaps are for heroin or from being a slob.