Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

hope I'm not too late to Eberron chat, but it's definitely my favourite "established" setting in TTRPGs and I ran it a ton back in HS and undergrad and kinda always end up returning to it in some way

if they were to do a 5e campaign book it might end up being the only good thing about d&d currently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Getsuya posted:

Japan just came out with a pretty cool looking RPG called Blind Mythos. The conceit is that books are starting to manifest their content in the real world and the players are bookmasters who can summon heroes from their favorite books to fight the evil corrupted book stuff. During character creation you make two characters; your bookmaster and their book hero partner who is made by combining ‘genres’ which are the classes for the game.

Are you a bad enough book nerd to save the world from the books people make Let’s Read threads about?

this sounds dope as all hell

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

hello i'm Devith Mustwost, but my friends call me "Kurgbore"

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Apologies if this isn't the place for it; couldn't find a sort of general TTRPG thread and didn't want to gunk up the DM one

Has anyone played or DM'd Ryuutama? It has the super chilled out vibe I'm interested in giving a shot, but I'd just love to hear a first hand account of how it plays. I'm most interested in how the general flow of a session works, and over what sort of time

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Ah this is so great--thanks for laying all of that out, super super helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

I've run it. The worksheets you fill out for each scenario are pretty helpful for figuring stuff out. Each scenario is meant to be 1-3 hours of play time, roughly. There's a lot of structure and rules to the travel scenarios and combat scenarios, but the exploration ones tend to be a bit looser because there's not much to do in them besides roll skill checks until the game is resolved.

It does ultimately play like a more simplified D&D, albeit with a focus on the travel side over constant dungeon-crawling. Also lots of Dragon Quest references.

There's also a weird typo in the inventory section, fyi. The Basic Kit's price is all hosed up. It's either meant to give you a basic backpack, but it costs more than it would to buy it separately, or you're getting a large backpack that's too small.

e- and if you've been reading the old F&F entry on Ryuutama, be aware that it's absolutely wrong about not everyone starting out with a weapon. Each person starts out with a basic version of the weapon type they're proficient in. There's another awkward rule, actually. It's not clear if you pick a class or type that can have multiple weapon proficiencies whether or not you start with a basic version of each weapon or not. I ruled it was fine because they'd still have to find space to carry their extra weapons on them and that's a fair balance, in my opinion.

Ah awesome! Thanks so much!