Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if a GM started putting Good Job stickers on my stuff I'd immediately assume they were dripping with irony venom and it'd take a long time to be conditioned away from that notion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Call them Keyples, because that means you're playing one of the Key-series games.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Player deaths are incredibly rare in my 4e experience, but in my ongoing game we regularly get to extended rests completely exhausted of daily powers, half of us out of healing surges, and without any action points left. The only actual death was reverted by an Epic Destiny, though there have been 2-3 very, very close shaves. But mostly it's powers/surges/etc.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sion posted:

So, on the subject of literally fuckin' anything else how's everyone's week shaping up? I'm back at work tomorrow oh no

i had two good interviews this week but if I don't get either job i'm probably going to be homeless in february

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i appreciate the well-wishing, i just needed to vent because i dont really have anyone irl to do it to because my roommate would understandably lose her mind if i did and same for family

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I had an interview today, hopefully they hire me so I can get out of debt maybe ever. Wheee.

gl mon ami

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks. And, to be clear, it's not like I'm gonna starve or anything (COUNTBLANC I WILL THROW IN BUCKS FOR GOFUNDME) - it's sort of a bougie thing to be worried about in the grand scheme of things, it just sucks that it's not like I'm getting universal healthcare out of seeing my taxes go up, right?

I appreciate the offer, but I don't really feel comfortable taking money from e-strangers (though I don't begrudge those who do). Especially since I do feel pretty strongly about nailing those interviews, but it's been so long since I've been able to get reliable work that it's hard to be truly optimistic

I did play A Hat in Time this last week and really loved it though and might take up speedrunning because of it, it looks like you can reliably get <90 minutes with basic routing (and down to 60 with practice) in any% which is about the ideal run time for me

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 10, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

dwarf74 posted:

So I think we're concluding the Zeitgeist 4e campaign arc tonight. And the timing goes wrong and it's not tonight... next week.

We've been playing this since ... wow, I think mid- to late-2014, so around 3-1/2 years. And it's kind of crazy it's all coming to an end.

No real advice needed, grievances to air, etc. It's just been an amazing journey, and it'll be really hard to match the quality and complexity of this campaign in the future.

glad to hear you've enjoyed it! i've been in my current 4e game for about 4 years, but the game itself is around 7-8 years old at this point, it's sorta nuts

also good news re: interview, one of them wants to move forward pending a background check

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
[in most boring person alive voice] urgh, non-traditional lightsabers are so anime

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moriatti posted:

So what's evwryone's policies on takebacks in games?

My general goto is Mage Knight's "allow unless new information is revealed".

Mostly same, though I'm a bit lenient when the alternative is someone just having a lovely time in a group setting. I've never had anyone take advantage of that as far as I know, but there have been times I've needed to say like "no sorry this game of Keyflower is going to take 3 hours if we keep backtracking, and it's not like everyone else has made perfect plays anyway so just deal."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you can be mad ugly and not be a lovely person

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
no one actually plays d&d 5e RAW anyway so it doesn't really matter how complex it is

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that old onion article thats like "man passionately defends what he assumes the constitution says", except it's everyone's vague idea about spell components and skill DCs

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Something else cool about 4e in a more general sense is how well it evokes theme via mechanics. You don't just say "kobolds are sneaky," or expect GMs to know how to make kobolds sneaky - kobolds in 4e straight up have an ability that allows them to slip away and be sneaky. They're sneaky by default, just by using a kobold's few abilities you're automatically going to make them be sneaky assholes, and that's super cool. This extends to a lot of stuff, like Dwarves being extra durable due to getting to take their second wind as a minor action. It's pretty smart.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Never played Downfall, but Quiet Year is a pseudo-rpg with no GM which functions by prompting players with cards from a deck and having fairly concrete rules about who can talk and when (and what they can do when it's their turn). It's also not very good, or at least not very fun to play (it's entirely possible it wasn't supposed to be fun so I guess that's a different metric), but there might be some ideas there to look at for inspiration.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
did that Unity game ever come out

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
neat

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The federation is the good guys, ergo they own

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lol.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
this is seriously some antonio banderas meme poo poo right here

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Starfinder: "And this... is to go... even further beyond...!!"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is there any cited reason for it being so slow? i never actually followed it because the core system wasn't interesting to me but I recall hearing that they took a phenomenally long time to release even a single book after the initial 3.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't understand why you would play munchkin at all

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Make sure to not give your character any family or loved ones or else you've lost

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So with Dragon Ball Super over I have been in a bit of a Dragon Ball mood, and I found out there's a Dragon Ball Super TCG that, from the reviews I've read, is actually pretty good. Does anyone have experience with it?

I actually sorta don't like it as a game, but it's definitely a nice object(s) and has an active playerbase. The slightly older DBZ TCG (the one published by Panini) is a lot more interesting mechanically and it has a pretty diehard playerbase that still runs fan tournaments at major cons (gencon primarily) and plays online.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

theironjef posted:

What's a good example of that last one? I'm guessing Dread, FATE, and the FFG Star Wars games?

5e

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My dream is to find people selling boxes of the monster rancher tcg cards at a convention but I haven't see any since like 1999

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elfgames posted:

did it play like the tcg video game?

Surprisingly, no. iirc it was designed to be played in groups (I can't remember how large though) and there were separate Training and Battling phases where you raised monsters and then fought them in round robin tournaments with the ultimate goal being to win 3 Star Chips. As you can see from a monster card it basically had zero resembalence to the GBC and (the significantly better) PSX game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Antivehicular posted:

Honestly, for all that this forum rags on 5e, it's a perfectly serviceable game if your goal is just casual social gaming. The $50-a-corebook price tag does feel kind of harsh, though.

Wow what a rave review, definitely spend your money on dungeons and dragons 5th edition

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Watch It Played is good, clear, and chill.

Watch it Played, Gaming Rules!, and Heavy Cardboard are definitely my favorites

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That sounds miserable lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pollyanna posted:

In that case, is it a bad idea to try and GM a game myself if I’ve only played a TTRPG a couple times?

someone has to always been the first in lots of groups, no reason it can't be you

just make it known that you're new at this and people should self-select for that pretty well i imagine

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Covok posted:

This is a question to the fellow GMs out there, but what "character" do you find you default to without trying? Like, when you don't know what to do, what do you end up doing with a person? Why?

I tend to make them an rear end in a top hat, usually. Somewhat because I do feel that most players act like jerks in-universe, with few exceptions, due to the fact that, well, they're real and the NPCs are not, if you follow me. So, I think the jerk response is kind of normal. I also find it helps make the players emotionally invested, even if it is only in desire to get revenge.

In the future, I should probably shy away from it because of the same thing I mentioned earlier: players are real, NPCs are not. First off, this has, very rarely, annoyed some players. Secondly, players will not hesitate to do above and beyond in their revenge, including genocide, because they're real and the NPCs are not.

How about all of you?

i don't GM a lot but my NPCs tend to end up a lot like my PCs - loud, dorky in a cute way, generally happy people-persons who end up as the straight man more often than not. I don't think I've ever played a jerk or evil character on either side of the screen in over a decade

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
of course now plutonis is going to be like "ACTually you were evil or at least conniving in the ivalice game" to which i say there is nothing evil about explosions as long as you're suitably cute

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
truly, art mirrors reality

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Covok posted:

It's pretty easy to be a jerk. Just stop caring about other people's feelings and do what you want.

What do you mean by "dorky in a cute way"? And how do you make sure your players want to fight your villains?

basically any character from a comedy anime

well villains are a bit different but my games have generally had pretty light tone in the first place so most of them end up being more like wrestling heels more than anything. still loud, still dorky.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it should be noted that i don't think i've ever GMed a game for people who didnt already want to fight bad guys to begin with so it's been pretty easy for me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

lofi posted:

I understand the appeal, but I think it might be an impossible goal - balancing one-vs-many and accounting for that one friend who sucks at this and varied fights and varied party composition and so on seems beyond the scope of any real system.

You don't need to include your tactically-inept friend in your 4e campaign, you can play a different RPG with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah there's a difference between "spiderman crawls out of the wreckage he just got punched into from a block away and makes a joke about it" and "villain punches hulk in the chest, hulk doesn't budge and the villain quips that he hurt his hand". Both are durable to a superhuman extent but one is characterized by his durability (in this instance, anyway).

The question then becomes how you make the latter interesting mechanically