Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I went from like four games to zero games and I'm salty as hell about it.

Bright side, buddy wants to run Ravenloft with a few minor houserules for 2nd edition, which is the only edition of D&D I've never played. AVE GYGAX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Contrary to the popular perceptions about PbtA games (including Blades) by people who have never run them or read the rules, there are specific rules governing when a GM can or should introduce an obstacle or complication. They're called soft moves and hard moves and they're triggered by specific things the players do.

So even if there was something to this weird assertion about form following fiction, it's based on a flawed understanding of the rules PbtA games use.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I think hyphz is coming from the school of classic D&D DMing where the DM was expected to be actively, assholeishly antagonistic towards the players and it was expected they would use DM fiat to punish players for not playing in a way they felt was correct (which was, incidentally, one of the behaviors that pre-set adventuring modules was meant to curtail, because it set limits on the DM and players alike).

So with that in mind it's not really surprising that she'd be utterly baffled by PbtA, clearly not having read the rules aside, because the game both doesn't take that mindset and you literally cannot make an adventure module for because that's simply not how the game is written to work.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

hyphz is tomb of horrors a good adventuring module, why or why not

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Haystack posted:

Hey guys haha, check this out I found an ettin nudie shot

:nws::nws:

l-lewd :ohdear:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Speaking of Mearls I had completely forgotten he did an AMA where I asked him "Why is something that is neither an action nor a bonus called a Bonus Action?"

Mike loving Mearls posted:

It's all part of that sense of wonder RPGs can evoke.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I know one of the co-authors of that and he is pretty tickled to be nominated for a Nebula.

They briefly blocked the nomination on the grounds that it's marketed as a "game" but it was appealed and they are back on as a nominee.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Plutonis posted:

It's capitalism because honestly while it's good that the hobbies are opening up to more demographics that has been really successfully coopted by the corporations by cynically using diversity and inclusion to trick minorities into being product worshippers. It's not the expression that's toxic, is the fact that brands and products are usurping the void that family relationships and religion (or if you don't want to use that word, local customs and beliefs) left after the sheer devastation that globalization and worldwide capitalism have brought.

Basically what I'm saying is: Get rid of your comic books and videogames and go to your local state fair or something and ride the big wheel. Read some books!!! Start a theater group!!! Start learning how to cook good dishes!!! Go watch some birds and maybe sketch them!!!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

WWW would be my suggestion, yes. In part because you are narrating the whole fight when you have narrative control, not merely one person's role in it. Your character might still be losing the fight (because it's a game about being part of a wrestling company, not just about being a wrestler) but the mechanic is designed to be about controlling how the pre-determined conclusion actually comes about. And the game offers you incentives to relinquish narrative control now and then so it's never just one person narrating an entire match.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

5e is also just mechanically not a very good game, TBH.

I hear good things about SotDL but 13th Age also gets an endorsement from me. It's got a lot of the best elements of 4e combat-wise but has stronger narrative-driving powers for times you're not in combat.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

1st edition D&D is the best edition of D&D to get started with if you absolutely have to start someone on D&D.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Those things are true but I would argue that if you are papering over or ignoring vast swaths of the rules to make your game work you are not, on a fundamental level, actually playing the game you all sat down to play. Inertia is powerful, though, so I totally get why people refuse to actually find the game they want to play even if I find it intensely frustrating sometimes.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Reminds me of the actual throw-down argument I had with someone that absolutely would not believe me when I told them surprise rounds are not a thing in 5th edition.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Locket of lust only works on opposite sex, pfft.

Man that wallet would be nice.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

hyphz posted:

I guess Punk-Cyberpunk is not a good thing to think about while worrying about Brexit. A bunch of violent opinionated people rebelling against a system while continuing to depend upon and demand the products of that system, anyone?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Anyone play Ten Candles and have any thoughts on it? Thinking of grabbing it to play around Halloween.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Bedlamdan posted:

We should make a fourth and give its moderating rights exclusively to whichever goon present committed the most horrific crime.

if this is some kind of bid for moderatorship I don't think your posts, however bad they might be, are technically a crime, though they certainly should be

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

This is the big (~330ish people) and regularly quite active one. There are a number of splinters but I ended up dropping them for inactivity myself, so I can't say whether they've picked up.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

It works for people who aren't banned.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I'm extremely sorry that people speaking out about malicious bad actors and serial abusers in the industry is making it harder for you to enjoy your elfgames.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

there will be one just in time for the d&d movie imho

this strategy went really well for world of warcraft

ETA: I actually watched the 2000 D&D movie the other day and it was charmingly awful

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I like Shadowrun's setting :smith:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Ah, BvD. That really was quaint, wasn't it?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Hey TG friends I hope all y'all are having a good Thanksgiving whether or not you celebrate it.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod is a nice dude and already expressed willingness to start modding here in addition to their usual forum.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

neongrey posted:

reene's cat should get the job. i trust theo.

in theo we trust. all praise to the healthy boy

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Bedlamdan posted:

I could understand not wanting to mod or being too busy to mod, but people have had kids while also posting within the last two years :shrug:

Anyways who ever becomes a mod should at least be aloof or indifferent to whatever deep and abiding inter-poster vendettas have developed over the last seven or so years so my proposal is that a board game poster mod the rpg posters and vice versa.

Though to be honest, I can imagine that all that many people recommended to be a mod would actually want to mod the forums, and those who do should immediately be distrusted.

Having young children and moderating people who frequently act like young children are both very emotionally exhausting tasks and it is not really surprising that Winson decided to cut out the one he didn't give as much of a poo poo about.

He is a good dude and he is free now, free of this hellscape.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Holy poo poo, I hadn't realized Elfwood went offline.

drat. I had stuff up there from when I was like, 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005