Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Someone in the previous thread asked where D&D got its usage of the term dungeon from. I don't have an answer to that, but I do know that the labyrinth from Greek mythology is a pretty classic example of something we'd see as a dungeon today, and it was designed as a prison for a horrifying monster/child out of wedlock.

I'm gonna look into whether Gygax or Arneson made any explicit statements about that.

Edit: Designers and Dragons seems to say on page 10 that the term "dungeons" came from the fact that Dave Arneson's fantasy gaming campaign started around a castle, and Arneson saw the dungeons under the castle as an easy place to expand the scope of the game. Arneson showed his material for exploring the dungeons under Castle Blackmoor to Gary Gygax and that's how they started working on OD&D.

So it seems, at least going by that book, like the focus around the dungeon largely came from it being the most obvious way to create an infinitely expansive area to move through that logically connected to the castle setting of Black Moor.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't a classical definition of a dungeon the underground part of a medieval castle, and by extension would be used in that manner because D&D was the zoomed-in XCOM tactical-level simulation of what happens when Gygax and Arneson's miniatures medieval combat games turned into a siege and someone tunneled into a castle's dungeon from the outside-in?

That appears to be the explanation as far as I can find. I edited it into the previous post but took too long.

Edit: except I think Arneson purposefully moved the campaign he was running there. The book is a bit vague in Arneson's role in "running" his campaign but I'm guessing the rules he was using made him a proto dungeon master and he was having the characters (Black Moor had you playing as individual characters transported into a medieval world ala Ultima) enter the dungeons as part of that campaign.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 3, 2018

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

funmanguy posted:

dnd 5e is very much like the governments during the three kingdoms wars in china, in that its very boring and i dont want to read about it.

How dare you.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Falstaff posted:

Forgive me if cross-posting is discouraged here, but over in the Game Writing Workshop Thread I put up a beta playtest kit for my fantasy heartbreaker RPG. That thread doesn't see much traffic these days, so I wanted to draw attention to it here in hopes of drawing some eyeballs in its direction.

This looks really cool, I'll give it a read soon.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hot take: the Infinity Engine's pseudo-real-time combat was an awful compromise, and they should have gone with full turn-based like in the Gold Box games

Agreed. I like some games that use real time with pause but it's usually in spite of that.

I think the only time I ever enjoyed the novelty of RTwP was in Baldur's Gate 1 when I had my rogue kite a troll or something while everyone shot at it. That would've been less fun if it weren't happening in mostly real time. Other than that though, I was just constantly pausing anyway.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 9, 2018

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Not gonna lie, I like when people say "I don't get it, where's the grog" because it has some potential to turn into a conversation that, while it may not necessarily change someone's mind, often turns out to be educational to me somehow.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

dwarf74 posted:

So I'm starting the aforementioned Godbound campaign next week, and I'm starting it in Ancalia. I decided to give Kevin Crawford's random generators a try ... and wow, I am really impressed at the quality of the stuff it helped me make. It's a lot more complex a situation than I would have probably made without the randomness.

Anyway, Kevin Crawford is a genius.

What book are these in?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's one of the best things about the game, along with Fast Turn / Slow Turn replacing initiative. I have a lot of minor gripes with SotDL but I want boon / bane in everything.

It's easy to calculate the average result of Xd6 keep highest, it keeps everything within reasonable bounds, and automatically implements diminishing returns on stacking advantages. This also works in reverse; trading down from 1 boon to zero or zero to 1 bane is a BIG drop in your effectiveness, and you want to work as hard as possible to keep your boon in that situation, but having multiple boons encourages you to trade them in for special attacks (which, appropriately, often cost boons.)

It's like if the old 3.5 Power Attack dynamic actually made tactical sense. It's wonderful.

Somehow I never really made the connection with Power Attack but you're absolutely right. Trading boons for benefits is like Power Attack that works precisely because of the way boons bound the math.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Blackmoor was also Isekai.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

would the Ultima series count as isekai?

I would say so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

About an hour left on the Forest Hymn and Picnic Kickstarter. It's a more light-hearted, family-friendly take on the Shadow of the Demon Lord engine:

https://kickstarter.com/projects/cecil-howe/the-forest-hymn-and-picnic

The author is a good guy, definitely support him if you can.