Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
My current GM wants to run Numenera when our 4e game wraps in a few months. Is there a Numenera/Cypher system thread I just didn't spot in the past couple pages? I'd like to know what issues and suck-traps to watch out for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean, it's the same poo poo for every Monte Cook game. It's less imaginative then it might have initially looked, and you wanna be the wizard, which is the only class actually made to interact with the setting.

That's kinda what I figured, thanks. I'll scan through the Fatal & Friends review too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jimbozig posted:

Hmm, not as written so far. I've got a spider card dealer and a praying mantis safecracker written up, along with a pair of twin salamanders, and I was assuming they were all more-or-less the same size as the other characters. Much smaller than the grizzly bear, sure, but not small like an actual praying mantis.

Having it be like zootopia with actual animal sizes is super tempting in a lot of ways... but then it's weird having a tactical combat with all those sizes in the same fight: a praying mantis, a spider, and twin salamanders on the small end, and a grizzly bear, a cow/bull, and a crane on the large end.

Kung-Fu Panda made it work pretty well.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Waffleman_ posted:

Black Panther good as hell, y'all.

Hell yes it is.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah if this is Tippy we're talking about, his thing was a general critique of how ridiculous a world would be where you can animate dead at a whim and have them running on treadmills to create endless power. I don't remember if he genuinely thought it'd be a good idea, or if it was meant as a thought exercise in how ridiculous and poorly-balanced 3e was, like with Pun-Pun, but it did get a bunch of weirdos who took it hyper-seriously and talked about making their own Tippy-magic settings.

As opposed to this subforum, which went apeshit-nuts about a computer made of infinite skeletons.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Deleter posted:

You say that like that isn't amazing.

I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pull up, Maverick! Pull up!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
FFG's Star Wars calls its thing the "Narrative Dice System" because the thing you do with Advantage, Threat, Triumph, or Despair is change the narrative so that something appropriately cinematic happens to help you or hinder you or ruin your week or whatever. You have to think of your dice results in context of the wider scene and story, not just "how well I shoot the guy".

Miss the shot, but with some Advantage? You hit a coolant pipe, and the space pirate spends her next action wiping her eyes out and doesn't shoot at you. Rolled a Triumph? You hit a control panel, and the bulkhead snaps shut, preventing the Sith Lord from getting into the fight so you can board your ship and escape. Failure with Despair? Not only do you not hotwire the bunker door open, but the blast door slides shut and makes the job even harder.

It's designed to emulate the kind of cinematic flow that we see in the Star Wars movies. This is spelled out pretty explicitly in the manuals. From experience, it takes a little work to think narratively and get out of what was, for me, a very D&D mindset about what dice rolls mean, but that wasn't a fault of the system.

There are definitely things to criticize about the FFG Star Wars games but the dice system works really well when you understand it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't he the woke rapist who wrote Beast: The Woke Rapist Monster Game?

That was Matt McFarland, aka BlackHatMatt.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

fool_of_sound posted:

The true genre of fascism is isekai

Well I mean AI know-nothing Eliezer Yudkowsky (of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality) wrote one and he's at least Dark Enlightenment adjacent, so...

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm interested in 13th Age, but the game my friend runs is at a time I can't make, so I haven't played it.

Talking to him recently though, he's getting disillusioned with the system. Namely classes: he feels that (for instance) the Wizard is overpowered, the Fighter and other "precisely what number did you roll?" classes too gimmicky and fiddly, etc.

I know third-party classes have been made, and many are well-received. Is there consensus on which third-party classes are worth bringing in, or flat out replacing core classes with?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pollyanna posted:

I'd actually like to know something myself:

- What's your longest-running campaign?
- What system was it in?
- Was it online or in-person?
- What year did it begin?
- How long did it run?

Just wrapped an in-person D&D4e campaign that ran four years (I joined in the second year) from 1st to 21st level.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Has Ettin remembered his password yet?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

remusclaw posted:

Is that why TG got the way it is lately?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mr.Misfit posted:

I´d say the gun is just as cursed. Anyone who you can kill with it was at the end of their lifespan, so no time is ever added to your clock. All it does is lead to a mass spree of killing without you ever getting any time added to your own. It´s a trick to get the owner to kill. If people have as would be required, a pre-determined amount of lifetime, then anyone you´d kill with it always would have been at the end of theirs, because you´d be unable to choose freely in such a universe. So, congrats on choosing the trick trap option, I guess?

The watch is worse though, because it doesn´t say that it stops your own time. So you just age twice as fast as everyone else does...

The watch requires a recharge time of two hours after every hour of use. So if it's rigged that way, you're aging four hours for everyone else's three.

Still a trick, but not as nasty as it could be.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

The wallet is more of a sloth item. It's not enough to actually sate someone who's truly greedy but it's enough to live a very comfortable lifestyle without having to do any work ever again.

$365,000 per year is pretty good until hyperinflation gives you a wallet full of wallpaper.

Ring all the way. Gives you the skills to adapt.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
To get even dorkier, there's a licensed tie-in novel called The All-Consuming Fire that's Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Who investigate Eldritch horrors.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Yawgmoth posted:

Rolled a 3 Con and died to elf stat mods.

Poor Celf. Thought of Con mods and died.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

some loving LIAR posted:

My favorite thing about the Greyhawk pantheon is that it includes 1) a literal cowboy and 2) a god named after a car.

I know Murlynd, but my knowledge of Greyhawk or cars is lacking because what's that second one?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Hell, I miss happyelf.

Also, how did Liesmith troll the FO4 thread hard enough to eat a ban?

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

AlphaDog posted:

I've been doing the "google your made-up names" thing since the early 2000s when I saw someone accidentally (genuinely accidentally) call a character what they believed was just a slight re-spelling of "Shiny", having never heard that particular slur for jewish people.

I'd never heard that one either, had to look it up before your edit there.