Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Working in a school, looking at a class laptop with liquid damage. Clean it up and go to put it in away in the server room to fix later. Principal runs after me shouting "it's urine!"

Earlier that week, a ticket comes in. "We need Flash Player on all the iPads".

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

nielsm posted:

Looks like you need to dig out that 11 years old letter from Mr. Jobs.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200430094807/https://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

I did tell her that iOS does not, and never has supported Flash Player, and offered to help her find an alternative. Her response, “but it worked last year! You just don’t want to help me!”

Working front line support for a MSP is its own kind of hell but at least I don’t have to deal with delusional teachers and piss-soaked laptops any more.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I was just like “well not anymore I don’t”

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Jacobus Spades posted:

Is this in relation to a Pearson Learning product? I used to do support for some of their learning suites and a handful of them did use Flash Player exclusively. And believe it or not we did, in fact, support their use on iPad... kinda. If I remember correctly there was a specific web browser that had to be installed in order for them to work. I believe it was called "Puffin" but it's been too long for me to say for sure.

I honestly don’t recall. I don’t think it was Pearson Learning, I have a feeling it might have been a Jacaranda product.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

yaaaaay schools

It was a great job 99% of the time, but the office politics can turn against you at any time for pretty much any reason, and it can get stressful waiting for the sword of Damocles to fall.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

People loving with poo poo they shouldn't ever have had access to in the first place. This didn't happen to me but another tech in the school system I knew.

Janitor has keys to server room.

Janitor uses keys to get into server room.

Janitor unplugs UPS to plug in his floor polisher.

Janitor leaves it this way and goes home.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Hence the $300 management card that sends out alerts as soon as the UPS notices it's not on main power anymore.

The principal apparently didn't think it was necessary.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Isn’t that only for car batteries?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Thirding Fortigate. I'm not really a network guy but at work we're recommending Fortigate to our clients, and migrating their Cyberoam firewalls to Fortigate wherever possible.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

One of the nice things about Cylance is you can define a policy to disallow the use of USB storage devices entirely and selectively add devices to it. One of our clients requested this and have an internal process for their staff to request to be taken off this policy, which has to be signed off by their own internal IT, so if they get hit by malware we've covered our asses.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

if this is an issue you should be destroying the data long before concerns about longevity of the data are concerns, unless you are legally required to keep them. and then you should destroy them the moment you are legally allowed to.

This is SOP for most organisations I’ve ever worked for.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Right up there with “we need Flash Player on the iPads”

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

you ate my cat posted:

We had a vendor say to us, just the other day, that "customers typically resolve <this issue> by finding an old computer that still has Flash installed and using it to administer the system." Absolutely not, get the gently caress out.

At the time I was working in the public school system, and the teacher who raised the ticket complained to the Department of Education and Training that I was either too lazy or too incompetent to help her.

My reply was a simple, one-line "Apple have never supported Flash Player on any of their iOS devices, and even if they did it would present an unacceptable security risk". The whole thing was quietly dropped and I never heard about it again.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Taking a week off for surgery and I gotta tell you, loving off and turning off all of my notifications felt really great this morning.

The best part of any time off is leaving my work phone and laptop behind at the office where I can safely ignore them.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I'm sorry to hear you have to put up with that poo poo. At least your employer has your back.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Maigius posted:

What's the best way to corral power cords in a cart? I'm kind of at a loss how to best clean this up.
Front

Back:

Compared to the laptop carts I’ve dealt with in the public school system that’s not too bad.

Maybe just make sure there’s adequate space around the power bricks for ventilation.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

It feels like Office 365 is in the process of making GBS threads itself, nothing on the status update yet

This is Office 365’s default state

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

ConnectWise View is an absolute godsend for situations like that, where just being able to physically inspect something means you can solve it in five minutes. It’s the next best thing to actually being on site.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Back when I did school IT I had to deal with a laptop that some kid had pissed on. Of course I didn’t realise it was piss until I opened it up and the stink hit me.

Yeah I don’t miss working in schools.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

bell jar posted:

Took me a while to parse this correctly. I was like, who pisses on their computer mouse :dafuq:

You and your John Howard avatar can't tell me what to do

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

If they have the courtesy to say "sorry you didn't get the job", then I have the courtesy to say "thanks for letting me know", that's about it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

mattfl posted:

A ticket came in, somehow from a patient staying in the hospital?

How this patient managed to get our service desk number from a nurse is beyond me and why the helpdesk took the time to create this ticket from a patient is something my director is going to have a word with the helpdesk director about.

He thought that because he works for or used to work for the company that supplies the interpreter app we use on iPads he could offer up such fine suggestions as

1) Add more wireless APs to 2 of our floors(lol sure buddy, somehow from using 1 app on an iPad you suddenly think you know how our wireless infrastructure is setup?)
2) Upgrade to new model iPads(the company we pay for the app sends us the iPads, so, I guess go back to your company and tell them to upgrade?)
3) Put the username/password on the iPads for the app(lol no, sure lets just put the username/pw of an app that costs per minute use on all 30+ interpreter iPads we have in the hospital)
4) iPads should be in the DMZ not behind a firewall(big LOL at this)

I don't have time for this stupid poo poo.

"Opinion noted. Closing as complete."

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

mattfl posted:

Almost exactly the words I put in the ticket when I closed it lol

There's nothing better than "helpful suggestions" from people who have no idea and aren't even remotely in a position to know.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Roundboy posted:

The conversation to take the user through a --> b -->c and get them to understand was simply amazing.

About 15 years ago when I started in the industry experts were saying that with computers being ubiquitous, and everyone growing up with them, people would eventually be so tech-savvy that front line IT would become completely unnecessary.

Thankfully for my job prospects, that’s not the case at all.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

i am a moron posted:

Ive never seen any tablet deployment anywhere that wasn’t a stupid use of everyone’s time and the pet project of a moron.

I’ve seen this go well in exactly two scenarios.

For student use in a primary school, and for home visit staff to use at a disability support organisation.

Literally every other tablet deployment was a vanity project that existed only to inflate the egos of middle management.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I wasn't aware you could set a spam filter to 'racist' but I suppose I'm not surprised

You could probably do that with Mimecast if you got creative with the custom threat dictionaries.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

At my second job, little hole in the wall computer shop, I found CP on a customer computer while doing backups for a Windows reinstall. And I'm not saying "She might be 16 might be 20." I'm saying "Holy poo poo, she's ten."

I told the owner and he said he'd take care of it. The next day was my day off, the day after that I come in and the computer is gone.

"What happened with eight thirty three?"
"Got picked up yesterday."
"... what did the cops say?
"What cops?"
"... that was the computer with the ... pictures... ?"
"Yeah? It's his business what's in his computer. Would you want your mechanic calling the cops on the weed in your backseat?"
"... but?"
"Let me make this clear. If you call the cops on one of my customers, you're fired."

I had a similar situation to this happen nearly 20 years ago at my first job. I lasted another three days before I quit.

The the shop closed down years ago but I absolutely should have gone to the cops about it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

JUST CLEAR YOUR BROWSER CACHE

STOP ARGUING WITH ME

JUST DO IT, IT'LL FIX YOUR PROBLEM

CLEAR

YOUR

BROWSER

CACHE

omg i hate users sometimes

The best thing is when the user wants you to explain what went wrong, why it happened, but no matter how you explain it they just don't get it. Upper management are the worst for this.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

"How can we be sure this will never happen again?"

Worst loving postmortem question.

My standard canned answer is to mumble something about the resolution being clearly documented and remind them it was sorted out within SLA then pour myself a drink.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Renegret posted:

Anyone else get unreasonably exciting when they get to close the oldest ticket in the queue?

No? Just me? I'm a gigantic weirdo?

No, there is something oddly satisfying about it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

A Frosty Witch posted:

The hits just keep coming. The guy gets there to put in the patch panel and punch everything in.

Nothing works. The wiring guy is scratching his head. He has no clue why.

He sends this picture:

I just... there's pictures, my dude.

That’s the best thing I’ve ever seen in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

We just finished a network overhaul, replaced some 10-20 year old cisco switches, still running, in a filthy factory setting where any surface has a healthy coat of plastic dust, surviving tons of reboots/power outages.
My experience with them has been absolutely solid.

Many running old rear end firmware too.

I used them all the time in schools. Whenever one died there were always more old-rear end Ciscos floating around the school system and you could get a replacement within about an hour or so.