Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
A slackchat message came in to the department's "#general" chat with about a hundred people in it, asking "is anyone else having this problem?". "This problem" was a screenshot of our timesheet reporting system's login page saying (paraphrased): "Due to organisational changes and various end of year activities the timesheet reporting system is closed until January 17. Please keep track of your worked time manually until then."

Well, yes, I think a lot of other people are having that problem, friend. We were also all informed before the holidays that this would be happening. I'm getting more and more convinced that writing helpful error messages is completely pointless, because users seem to go out of their way to not read them at all.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

With how good WiFi is, why run cables? Your house isn't (presumably) that big that three waps can't give you 100mbps+ to every device

wifi is incredibly unreliable and some of us actually have gigabit and want to use it

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Inspector_666 posted:

If your wifi is incredibly unreliable you hosed it up somehow. (Still, you gotta run wires for the APs anyway.)

Nah. You literally cannot buy working wifi in consumer devices. It does not exist. Maybe for enterprise it's different but in practice it's noticeably flaky no matter the setup. It works fine most of the time, but that's not good enough. Reliable networks exist, even in consumer devices, but they use cables. At home, I have an Asus RT-AC68U. My desktop has essentially unbroken line of sight to it, and it's maybe five meters away. I run on the 5GHz band and there are pretty much no other SSID's visible on that band where I live. I usually only connect one device to the wifi at a time, and most of the time I can get 4-500 megabits/s, which is pretty much as good as you can reasonably expect. Under these close to ideal conditions though, wifi is still loving wifi. You get ping spikes, you get dropped packets, and I can only actually use my gigabit internet connection if I use it from my NAS (which is connected to the router with a cable). The wifi service in Windows has a long standing bug that makes it derp out every once in a while and start causing 1-2 second ping spikes every 30 seconds unless you turn off the wireless autoconfig service. At work where basically everyone connects via wifi and we do have enterprise AP's setup, it still doesn't work reliably and occasionally flakes out.

Wires work. They can be dozens of years old and still work. They're cheap. Why do people hate simple things that work well?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 27, 2018