Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I wish I had as much dedication to anything in my life as the guy who's new to his department and emailed us on a day off to ask us to add his printer to his computer. Hell, I'm on call and I even hosed up what hours I was supposed to be available today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Man, the cyberpunk dystopia is here, only instead of hot half-cyborg Asian chicks and seedy Japanese diners, it's some underpaid nerd in an office trying to cope with 100,000 infected webcams sending billions of dickpicks per second and crashing the servers because we as a race can't have nice things.

I'm going to print this and hang this on my cube wall.

For content, we just rolled out our new USB mass storage lockdown, mandated and designed by the nationwide corporation that is our parent organization only when they want to tell us to do stuff or demand that the hospital make more money. This is fine and dandy because our doctors are all morons and nobody wants to do infosec training for nurses who already don't have the patience to deal with these computer modems, except that the new filters prevent us from installing any USB hardware at all, not just Dr. Iknowbetter's infected SanDisk.

Thankfully they included a convenient way around it for those of us with AD access but I really wish the networking team and corporate would stop "fixing" problems by offloading them to the helpdesk. I also wish I'd have won the drat lottery. And a pony.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Knormal posted:

When our Group Policy people, who I've mentioned a few times in this thread before, tried to turn off USB storage at our place a few years ago they accidently turned off the USB ports entirely. We figured this out when everyone started calling the helpdesk at the same time because their mouse stopped working.

Luckily our being behind the times worked in our favor in this case because most people were still on PS/2 keyboards.

Well, thankfully, we can put them into a fake learning mode by doing AD shenanigans, but it's frustrating having to use someone's broken keyboard to remote into my desktop to do the needful so i can plug in their new keyboard. Or, if the AD permissions are hosed for some reason, having to call our network team to drag and drop around the active directory. A good use of everyone's time.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

A ticket came in!

Now, they're at a satellite location, so I can't just send off a ticket willy-nilly. The main network for staff is named "admin." Do they mean all the computers on the admin domain are not working well, or do they mean all the computers used by program admins are not working well? And by not working well, do they mean it's crashing, just slow, can't access things? We just don't know!

I've asked for clarification, and we'll see what gibberish I get back.

So do you admin admin for the admin team's admins?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

I'm having chest pains looking at this.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
My boss requested that we all send her our goals for the next year at this company. I'm a tier 1 help desk tech with six years of professional experience. My goal is to find a better job.

I put some stuff down indicating that I'd like to transition to a more appropriate role helping with our completely busted AD and GPO setups(seriously, we set printers with local ports via batch scripts for our satellite offices despite having a print server that is entirely intended for them to use), since "get the hell out of here before this place kills me" doesn't really go over well in a professional setting.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I used freshdesk at a prior job and it will do what you need. Has a mobile app too so you can get mad at users on the go.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

stevewm posted:

AV is just a shitshow waiting to happen that we are required to install to tick a box. Nothing more.

One could argue you are a more secure these days without it then with.

YOU might be, but the more layers we put between our users and the Internet, the better I feel in general. If I could get them to type with their hands in plastic bags, I would.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Papa John Misty posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on how I can merge ~14,000 PDF files (1/2pg each) into a single file? Some kind of powershell utility or something?

:chaostrump:

Let me introduce you to my friend 7-zip

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
My first call today was from a doctor who called to ask me how, "ever since you guys stopped letting us use webmail", he was supposed to print forms from his Gmail that he absolutely needed now now now. I told him that he could forward them along to me and print them down here, and come down to the IT dungeons to get them. He sends me the documents and I send him an email back that I have them at my desk, and then I never hear back from him.

Until like 1:40 today when the spam filter on our O365 gives me a digest message with his response on it from five minutes after my reply, asking me to run them up to him. I guess it wasn't really worth him following up on, despite the urgency.

I never really got why my high school girlfriend had such a distrust of doctors until I started working for them.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

potato of destiny posted:

THIS IS AFFECTING PATIENT CARE

literally everything we do or don't do affects patient care, it's a god damned hospital

One of these days I'm gonna get a talking to because I'm gonna snap and ask a doctor why, if they're so drat smart, can't they figure out the simple poo poo they're trying to do.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I had a dude straight up put the phone down like four times while I was trying to help him with a fairly simple issue this morning. Then I asked him to send us an email so there'd be a paper trail and he hosed up that as well. Too bad another guy already called in sick or I'd be coming down with something right now.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
We have someone on our parent company's IT squad whose job is to send fake phishing email to hopefully "educate" users about the dangers of opening phishing emails. I guess this is standard practice but they do it with such frequency that I don't think I've EVER gotten a legitimate phishing email in the year and change I've worked here but I've had to create an Outlook rule just to deal with messages starting with FW: [EXTERNAL].

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
A coworker who's frequently rude to users over the phone got an earful from our manager today cause he did it right in front of her. He spent his whole morning sulking about it afterwards. Today's been a good day so far.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
To be fair, yes, that would have been more professional, but it did also serve to make me watch my behavior all day, which was probably part of her intent. He works Friday through Monday and I was off today due to having a toddler with a fever so I don't know how he behaved since but the sting of a public call-out was already fading by the mid-afternoon.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm gonna start using "give it the beans" any time I need to kick a printer to restart it, thanks.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
My kid was six weeks early, so I feel you there. It's gonna be a rough couple of months but it looks like they've got you covered. Don't skimp on the hand washing and good luck!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I love being asked at the start of my day to help users break into another user's profile because said other user didn't finish charting on a patient. But what's even better than that is when members of our own clinical support team ask me to do it, then get snappy with me when I mention that I have fairly strong reservations about resetting the password of a user in good standing without their consent.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Devoid of any and all context, doing nothing is where I would start.

Oh I did super ultra nothing, aside from telling my boss and a member of the network team about this. I got other poo poo to worry about than "night nurse is bad at job".

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I just stumbled across a user in AD with the actual factual first name Reaganomics. It's too early to be this done with my day.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Kaboobi posted:

posting in this thread for the first time in years about how dumb this job is sometimes

https://twitter.com/Kaboobi/status/1017456577715015680

I recently imaged one USFF workstation that had a spinner drive and kept running into weird problems. I'd reimage and try again, but it would have something else. Finally, leaning over our partially metal workbench in frustration, it dawned on me: the magnetic clasp on my watch was stuck to the bench. When i sat back down to run another reimage, I set the watch in my pocket, and got a clean, fully working workstation out of it.

Naturally I'm the kind of guy who gives users crap for sticking fridge magnets to their PCs, too.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
We got hit with a weird bug that would fill w7 drives with log files for failed windows update installs a while back. Most people had 500gb spinners but the more recent systems were coming with 128gb solid state drives that would fill up fast enough to be noticeable. We'd just delete the hell out of those temp files and logs and things would thankfully go back to normal.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Last Friday was the other first shift tech's last day. My boss is out Wednesday to Friday this week for a conference. So of course networking and clinical support picked today to do a huge cutover to a new set of switches.

No big deal, we only lost like every label printer in the whole drat hospital and a bunch of regular printers to boot. Oh, and webmail. Outlook isn't affected, but everyone who uses the o365 portal is, and boy are there a lot more of them.

And the second shift tech is apparently hospitalized for something after taking the last two days for PTO.

I'm throwing everything i do that's more substantial than picking up the phone and giving my usual preamble into a ticket. I'm gonna make sure they realize why they had two techs on phones in the first drat place.

Edit: also someone please hire me so i can leave as well

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Our new wifi pre shared key is WPA2 personal and it is 63 characters long with every possible special character category turned on. And it's time to migrate the iPod touches that the custodial staff use.

No we don't have mobile device management, what kind of large regional hospital owned by a nationwide conglomerate do you think we are?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

wolrah posted:

Do iPod Touches have cameras? If so, let me introduce you to the WiFi QR code: https://qifi.org/

iOS native camera app has supported these since iOS 11, if they're older then there are a few other QR code apps that understand the wifi code format.

This allowed me to finally go max password on my guest WiFi at home because anyone can just point their phone at the code and be online in a few seconds.

Holy poo poo, that's amazing. I gotta get the approval of the network guy running this whole shitshow but you might have just kept me from smashing these loving things.

mattfl posted:

Uhhh, we may work for the same company! Did your nationwide conglomerate recently change their name and then change the names of all their hospitals to more closely reflect that name?

No, mine is based out of Tennessee and likes to demand policy changes without providing us the support we need to actually affect those changes. Our hospital did recently change names slightly, though!

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 8, 2019

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm a big dipshit who double posts, please ignore me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

rafikki posted:

Gotta admit, I'm a little surprised how many people itt weren't aware of the things. They've been around for ages I think.

I had our old WiFi passphrases memorized, so it wasn't a problem. But we have too much weird healthcare poo poo on our WiFi to use WPA2-enterprise, I suppose, so we gotta resort to this 63-character bullshit for now.