Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Pyroclastic posted:

And yesterday the advance rma for a dead Smartpanel arrived, so I got to wonder, again, why this 4k 65" tv with an IR touch sensor and bolted-on Android module weighs 180lbs.

Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work you could always hit them with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*Ignore me.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mattfl posted:

I work IN a hospital, we won't be getting WFH anytime soon :(

:hfive:

I'm tired of being 'essential' personnel. Trying to transition out of informatics and in to BI sooner than later...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My CIO just put in a ticket to quietly deploy WebEx to everyone.
We already have Skype for Business. We've got people clamoring for Teams. I've got like 50 new cell phone procurement requests.
Why the gently caress do we need to toss WebEx on this dumpster fire?

oh... because "there's a free 90 day trial"

I got an AOL cd with a free 1000 hours lying about here somewhere...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I see that Colorfinger is streaming some piano playing.

Am I hallucinating or did he once do a beautiful rendition of 'Part of Your World' except it was flavored after Larches IT adventures? Does anyone have that song bookmarked/saved anywhere?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Super Soaker Party! posted:

You are not hallucinating, he did it and it was glorious. Pretty sure it was called Part of IT. But I don't have it bookmarked and a quick Google search isn't turning it up :(.

Found it!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3564747&pagenumber=872&perpage=40#post458610763

He just did a fresh rendition on Twitch. Those lyrics were a thing of beauty.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A friend just received this:

To be fair, 'Power of the Eye' would be a great app name.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 30, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Shugojin posted:

I was looking around in that and uhh

I feel terror

Is that Grover House?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

RFC2324 posted:

Its my first day of a new job! :yotj:

Congrats!

What are the chances they have all your access situated on Day 1?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

spankmeister posted:

Yeah also don't put too many icons on the desktop, that also gums up the internet

Reminds me of a bug report I recently read, concerning too many icons on the desktop: https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2021/02/16/arranging-invisible-icons-in-quadratic-time/

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

angry armadillo posted:

No its me. I was being a dick to try and be cool on the Internet

I don't know why I do it because I don't do it in real life. Its my problem

To be fair, who hasn't wanted to be cool on the internet?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Set it back up for 4:00, just got a 90 minute phone call and am getting an in-person interview

:hfive: :yotj:

Nice! You get good vibes from the interview?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Two-hour in -person today. Got the tour and all that jazz. Half a half/hour “technical phone screen” with the MSP that helps them out next week.

Nice! Is it completely out of the healthcare game, or still in it?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

Recruiter said they are going to make an offer tomorrow or Friday. :yotj:

:yotj:

No more putting in tickets for physicians!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

devmd01 posted:

our Okta instance is hard down. Oh boy, this is gonna get ugly.

I just received 4 emails related to outages of various IT systems. I'm not too familiar with Okta but I'm guessing we're wrapped up in it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm sure there are some talented people in HR but I've yet to meet one.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MJP posted:

Good stuff...

That's great to hear. It's an amazing feeling to jump from a poo poo show to a place where you feel comfortable.

Speaking of Azure... I'm seriously entertaining putting in the effort to pivot from my current role in clinical app support, and pursuing something in Azure/AWS. I know its a very wide gap to jump but current gig has a lot of downtime that allows for studying.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

nexxai posted:

He asks "I'm seeing that requests are taking one and a half seconds to add a single customer to the database. How is this going to scale when we're adding 50,000 people all at once? Has any effort been spent looking into why the performance is so terrible?"

Cue 5 full minutes of the most stunned, deafening silence I have ever heard, followed by the call ending with "This meeting ended by the host"

It's been 45 minutes and I can't stop laughing.

Ooof!

Those poor developers. It sucks to be showing off your work, and then someone comes up and kicks you in the nuts. If you were to bet, do you think they were oblivious to the performance issue or were they hoping no one noticed it yet?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Biowarfare posted:

"We can just let all existing users be added as an overnight batch job, and new signups don't matter because 1.5s is longer than it takes for them to even find the verification email for signing up"

"Ship it"

That's just a straight shooter with upper management written all over them.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Working from home full-time has brought around a strange little swap for me. During the week, I really don't do all that much. I put out urgent work fires but also use the workday to go to the gym, run errands, play games etc...

Recently, I've been using downtime on the weekends to catch up on work items. If I don't have much going on, I'll dive in to the more challenging tickets and start working them.

It's amazing how productive you can be without the usual meetings, calls, random interruptions etc...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
We watched Leprechaun in 5th grade. It was awesome.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm the only one with documentation about that place and it's because I still have my notes scribbled in a notepad in my glove compartment.

I'm going to start charging them.

Get that boat money.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm not a big fan of being on-call, especially for a hospital, because the 0230 calls you get are likely to be poo poo shows.

Just received a call because in the EHR the nurse couldn't transfer newly delivered baby and mom to post-delivery units. I didn't have the tools to fix so I had to wake up another team. We were able to get everything resolved but now I'm wide-rear end awake because situations involving kiddos always brings a little extra urgency.

To top it off, I switched to cover today as a favor for a teammate. No good deeds... :mad:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mattfl posted:

At least you get over time and shift differential for that call right...right? On call for us techs at my hospital is min 2 hour overtime charge plus shift differential depending on what time the call comes in, plus we get $250 extra a pay period just for being on call. One or two calls during our on call week adds up to some pretty nice change every so often!

poo poo no. I'm salary (yeah I know). We can't even mention the words "comp time" without leadership throwing a fit. To add a cherry on top, just got word from leadership that any IT staff who have a nursing license (me) may get press-ganged back to the bedside due to covid surge.

Lots of decisions to make if that comes about.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
There may be better threads but does anyone have a UPS they'd recommend for home use?

Working from home now, and recently been having some sporadic blips in power which crashes my desktop in the middle of work. Would be nice to have a small UPS that would give me enough to gracefully shut things down.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If you dont plan on doing anything fancy with it, like getting SNMP reads off of it or something I'd just go buy whichever cheap 1500VA you find. I have an old APC that works fine, I just end up replacing the battery every 5 years or so.

Thanks Ants posted:

Anything will be fine, there's not really any difference between them until you get to the double conversion units.

Thanks. I'll do a little research and see what I can pick up.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

You're a saint!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

A couple years back a disgruntled customer called in a bomb threat to a call center that shared a downtown office building with my company.

It was nice of them to do it right after I finished lunch so I could spend an hour outside on a cool spring day at the evac point with a few of the coworkers that I liked.

It wasn't a "real" threat, they just wanted attention. And they absolutely got it.

ETA: It's also fun to say "Sorry, gotta drop from the meeting. Building is being evac'd. Check with my manager in $distantCity for updates."

I worked tech support at an ISP call center in the south. TV service went out in the area right before the start of a huge Alabama football game. We had morons banging on the locked office doors, screaming about their lack of Saturday entertainment.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
In the final two weeks of $currentJob and am struggling really hard to not turn on the "I don't give a poo poo" switch on some of these tickets. Add on the stress of trying to coordinate a move and its a struggle.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Arquinsiel posted:

Getting some AWS and Azure certs under my belt so I can poke at the security better is an eventual goal for me.

I find what *really* gets a lot of interest from random recruiters is just throwing Splunk into my LinkedIn though. I used it for all of five minutes, but hey.

I never heard of Splunk until I started flipping through DOD-type job postings.

For those that have used it in the context of infosec, is it something that is self-teachable? At least enough to throw on a resume?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mierdaan posted:

The killer for satellite internet has always been the latency - isn't Starlink's big gimmick the comparably much-lower orbital height of their satellites?

Everything that I've read about Starlink shows it blowing away any competition at the moment. The old guard of satellites seems to be dirt slow in both speeds and latency. You are correct in that their satellites are at a lower orbit, allowing for lower latency.

The starlink subreddit is full of people comparing their outgoing service to Starlink.

*I don't care for Elon and I don't have Starlink but the service seems to provide a huge QOL increase for people in the sticks.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

That's a load bearing cable.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ticket came in, via email, from within the office:

"Is the internet out?"

...you sent an email to ask if the internet was working?
Also, no the internet is not out. Closed.

Immediately makes me think of this class: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGljemfwUE

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

larchesdanrew posted:

... I'm moving towards management and If they don't get that through their head, they're going to lose me, too.

All I've got to do is flip that "Open to" switch on LinkedIn.

:sever:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

larchesdanrew posted:

Both resume and cover letter were just a link to my post history

I hope it includes a link to that wonderful song

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Pull up, thread!

Work commute chat: My last job had a commute of 45 minutes to the office (2 times a week). poo poo sucked. At my new job, I made it a priority to live as close as reasonably possible to work. Now I have a 6 minute commute door-to-door and that change is worth its weight in gold.

I mapped it out and it's about a 2.5 mile walk. I'm thinking that's doable a few times a week, and I'm sure that walk would be great for my mental health after sitting all day.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

Some of you folks have asked about resources to learn Linux basics:

This is timely. I'm fiddling around with AWS and wanting to launch an EC2 and kickoff a bash script to get and decompress some CSVs. I could do it in Python but this would be a good opportunity to learn a little bash.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Agrikk posted:

I read somewhere recently, maybe NYT or HBR, that companies gained the time from employees who used to commute. That is, people who used to leave the house at 7:30 to arrive at the office at 8:30, now start their workday at 7:30. Same thing at the end of the day.

Can you believe that poo poo?

Why? Why would people do that?

Just lol at that. When I WFH, if my day starts at 0800 that means I'm rolling out of bed at 0757.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

For all the bitching I do about my company right now I have to keep in mind the following:
I dont have email on my phone.
I am not on call.
The day starts at 8 and ends at 4:30.
I dont do poo poo on the weekend.

Its SUCH a nice change from being on call 24/7 for a week once a month.

:hfive:

$previousJob had me on call for 1 week per month. I didn't receive many tickets but it stilled caused some minor mental stress. $newJob has no tickets and no call and I like to think its slightly improved my QOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Just want to mention that I had an absolutely excellent Wednesday.

https://twitter.com/mrbellek/status/1488826156325511168

(Hopefully that also shows the first tweet)

Two hours after this, I had my yearly performance review. It went very well. Been walking on sunshine for the entire day.

Nice! Receiving praise for your hard work is always a great feeling, and is why I always try to publicly applaud others' efforts. It costs me nothing and it usually makes their day.

Side note: I love a good optimization story. What's the gist of your refactor?