Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, getting caught up on things now that everyone is coming back from the holidays. I checked into this thread, and it looks like it was deployed as a POC, but this looks like prod level posting.

Did someone sync the prod shitpost.mdb into the POC for load testing or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I have a color HP LaserJet that I got on Amazon open box for $149 3 years ago and it has performed flawlessly on my wifi since day 1.

Why can't enterprise-grade printers not be utter poo poo?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

/me hugs his RISC boxes. We'll always be safe, won't we?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

They've always had codenames like that, but after a while they started leaking to the public and marketing got ahold of it and made it lovely and annoying like marketing aways does.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If ever a place deserves a Milton-ing... JFC larches. I feel for you.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Linus has been on a tear I the kernel mailing list, the last few days, re: spectre and meltdown. It's been rather entertaining.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Happy story:

In less than 5 years I doubled my income and now make more than my team lead at my old job does now (public institution, public pay scale) with more engaging work and lots of fringe benefits.

I still get super loving annoyed when the VP does something stupid, but it's still much better.

Cheer up, anyone who's feeling stuck. There is hope.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Malek posted:

Wait... didn't this happen before back in 2014 or something?

I think it was longer ago than that, but worse. McAfee flagged svchost.exe as malicious on an update and a fuckton of places auto-updated in the middle of the day and royally shat the bed.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

GreenNight posted:

This happened to us. Was all hands on deck with us and all our consultants to fix this gently caress up. We went straight to Sophos after that.

We had operating room computers bootlooping in the middle of the day.

Forefront rollout began within days.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Malek posted:

No this was Malware Bytes and they pulled the update within about an hour of putting it out. It was kinda "Wow" but they had a great response.

It was 2013 actually according to my emails... so... OH here it is

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2013/04/yesterdays-database-update-issue/

Ahh, the McAfee thing was even longer back, then.

Edit: April 2010.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 30, 2018

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The Fool posted:

You'd think that, but cell companies have had this service for nearly as long as there have been text messages, and I've never heard of a case of serious abuse.

I'm really surprised that this is the case. I've had the same Verizon cell number for almost 20 years now (late 1999) and I get very few spam messages through this method. Maybe once every few months. Whatever they're doing on the filtering on their end is fantastic, because I've also never not gotten an intended message through this method (we use it for our oncall paging).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

wolrah posted:

You are much more mature than I about that. If I encountered one of these idiots I'd be scrambling to find an AP with the most and largest antennas I could get to put as close as possible to their desk.

"Sorry, our coverage survey says we need some extra capacity right here"

"No. If you want to talk to my supervisor about it, here is his number."

If a supervisor won't back you, then the place isn't worth working for.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

*nixers can do 90-95% of our entire jobs on a Pi Zero W.

So if course I have a 2017 MBP with the i7, 16GB of RAM, and a 500GB NVMe SSD.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mr Robot season 2 was amazing, full stop. Just have to stick with it.

Season 3 was awesome as well (all the feels), and I can't wait for 4.

The fact that they keep things grounded in reality is a huge part of what makes it so watchable.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sefal posted:

Hello, I binged Mr Robot over the weekend and it was amazing. Thank you guys for the push to just watch it.

Season 2 Big spoiler
I did not see the jail coming. I suspected that perhaps he was in an institution. But not jail.
Onto Season 3!

Yesssssss. I know quite a few people who have up partway through s2. Once I finished it I strongly encouraged them to as well.

I loved s3 so much. I think it dug a lot deeper into the humanity of everything and more than a few scenes hit me directly in the feels.

Work chat: I get to figure out how to make KVM on ppc64le work today because this box I got can't be used for what I thought it could, so now it's just a toy.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Doesn’t cause life ruining blackouts, so it’s not ambien. It’s worse.

True story: friend of mine started Ambien and snapped her tits to her entire friends list the first night. Zero recollection in the morning.

Thread content: mired in a Palo Alto SSL cert shitfest today. Glad I'm working from home and my Bourbon bottle is close at hand.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

MF_James posted:

Ambien is fine for a lot of people, the biggest issue I've noticed is when they take their prescribed dose, 45 minutes later they forget they took it and take it again, repeat a few times and then they wake up/come to 12 hours later with a monkey, a pineapple, a spork and their back side hurts.

Yeah, sure, but hey: free spork.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ticket: Hey, one of our critical printers isn't responding and there are 300k jobs backed up in the print queue. Can someone take a look?
Desktop Person: The printer isn't hooked up. It was disconnected and put into storage for construction in the area.

Ummmm.

This is a known critical printer that prints a lot of documents that help us do our business so we can, you know, make money and poo poo.

But yeah, let's just unplug that bitch and put it into a closet while we remodel the floor without telling loving anyone.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I feel very sorry for the printer that's about to pick up that slack.

Also 300k jobs :wtc: Is that just a typo or do people just literally print all the things and never went to pick them up to notice the printer was missing? Like, I'm amazed the number got that high before somebody went "huh something is wrong here"

My business still requires a lot of documentation in hardcopy. Even if the original docs were sent digitally, they still need a physical copy once all is said and done.

And it's probably 300k jobs because 30k jobs got resubmitted between 5 and 20 times.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Director bullshit

Jesus your director is a loving rear end in a top hat.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Not counting any chickens, but had a good call today on a potential lead. And they didn't balk at the number I gave them "to even consider changing". And it's also in my old stomping grounds (I'm gonna get so fat) which is half my current commute.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Weatherman posted:

Good luck!

Also Alex I remember your "gangstas don't be giggling" avatar. How is your tiny gangsta these days?

Ha, wow. That was a long time ago. He turns 11 in a little more than a month and will probably be taller than the wife by the end of the year.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Currently having a not at all juvenile discussion about cloud deployments in our Teams room. Because why not when everyone has cloud2butt installed?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

New product being POC'd (not by me)in our environment.

VM requirements: 24c, 96gb RAM, 4TB thick-provisioned disk.

Ok. Seriously. Just gently caress off and say it needs a dedicated server.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

We have a Climax in Michigan, too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Every day, twice a day.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I’m currently driving by there between 7:30 and 8am and it is so terrible. Being hourly has its perks but not being able to shift my start time is the worst.

JFC, talk about the absolute worst time. I'm already past there by 6:30 typically, and I don't usually hit any snags until I get south of 14-mile.

Thread related: I've managed to delegate a lot of my day-to-day annoying on-demand bullshit to the FNG and actually exercise my job title. It's interesting being a senior systems engineer instead of a sysadmin. I kind of like it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Imposter syndrome sucks so hard. I feel for you all.

I have an in-person interview tomorrow evening for a spot that would be a pretty significant bump. I expect it to kick in pretty hard by the time I get home.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

Try to remember that you were hired for the position for good reasons. Even if your technical skills in this particular area are still being honed, you're bringing something to the team that's valued. It might be soft skills, it might be your overall approach to problem-solving, it might be your ability to grasp concepts, it might be that your existing knowledge has some application to your current role. You can continue to trust in what you know and what you've got even as you work on mastering new poo poo.

You're gonna be okay.

This is truth. I had to REALLY step up my game in my current platform, and it took me a couple of months to fill in a lot of gaps in my skill set. My old job had a lot of stuff set up for me and I just used it. In this job, I had to do all of that stuff myself and learn how to do it at the same time. It's been 4 years and I'm still refining some of that stuff.

Also: there's nothing more humbling intellectually than going to a conference and having dinner with the guy who actually designs the chips that run the platform I work on.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Agrikk posted:

This happens to me a lot. Problem with S3? Here. Here’s one of the guys that wrote S3. EC2? Here’s the Distinguished Engineer of EC2 networking.

Cool guys, but holy poo poo are they wicked smart. “Me? Uh. I wrote A Thing in PHP once.”

Yeah. That dinner had chip designer on one side, and the guy who wrote the most ubiquitous monitoring software we have on the other. I loved every minute of it, but man my brain was smoldering when I got done.

Thanks Ants posted:

Working with people smarter than you is awesome

1000%

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Learn to specialize in a platform where the vast majority of the experts are over 60 and looking for retirement.

You'll get recruiters pinging you constantly.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I'm a UNIX admin :v:

Which UNIX?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I have solaris experience, Linux(RHEL family and, to a lesser degree, debian family and SUSE), and when placed in front of an AIX aptitude test was able to score the highest the recruiter had ever seen despite never having worked with it.

If you know one UNIX, the rest seem to be pretty easy since the basic concepts are the same.

AIX was the one I was thinking about specifically. Though a lot of recruiters still have their heads way up their asses. One pinged me for a job in NYC wanting at least 4 years of AIX (I have about 15) paying $80,000. I had to strongly resist the automatic reaction of "lolfuckoff".

Solaris is kind of a weird one, and seems to be pretty regional. There are a few companies around here doing a lot of it, but most of them tend to be more in the Linux space (RHEL and Ubuntu because lolsuse).

If you want to get into the AIX space professionally, look at health systems (EPIC prefers AIX) and auto manufacturing. Financials are hit or miss, as a lot of them are still using Z.

Getting certs is always a plus, I get a lot more calls now that I have my RHCE, even though I don't really use it. If you get a good study guide, you could probably get through the CSA and CE without the classes and save yourself a few thousand. $800 for the CSA and CE total is definitely worth it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Codecademy is good for learning the basics. They have a lot of python, and it's geared toward programming logic, which is the biggest hump. After you understand how programming works at a base level, the rest is syntax.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

So the Spectre fix gives us a 25% hit in single-thread performance on the application that requires as much single-thread performance as possible.

So that's awesome.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

What's a computer?

I hate that commercial so loving much. Fortunately, a friend of mine who works at Apple feels the same.

Thread content: waiting to see what a recruiter can come up with on the number I gave them. We shall see.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

spankmeister posted:

The trick is not to ask for downtime. The trick is to just tell them it's going to be down for X amount of time.

"System crash"

"I don't know what happened. Sometimes Windows just does that when it's been running too long"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xsf421 posted:

This is the active node in a DB cluster no less!

Phsh. Stability is for suckers. Just let that poo poo run 'til it explodes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Javid posted:

I clearly remember 28.8k dialup and have a hard time complaining about what minimal losses my AC router on 5ghz imparts to my 60 mbit connection. It works for everything I need it for.

You kids and your fast dialup.

Try 300bps on a Commodore 128 in C64 mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I can play the sounds of the Commodore 1541 drive in my head.

*grind* *grind* *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* *beat* *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* *grind* *grind*

Ahh memories.

That and the evolution of the modem connection sounds as speeds and modulation changed.