Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'll be adding a bunch of content and context from the previous thread soon!

kensei fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Dilly Dilly

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

GreenNight posted:

God damnit. We actually have a Goldmine server.

I got to deal with that a couple jobs ago. I was so happy when the Sales VP changed and the first thing he did was go to SalesForce.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Goldmine isn't so bad. Just a SQL backend and it's relatively inexpensive.

Ours was out of date and out of contract so it was a mess.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Also 27" monitors are big. :eyepop:

That's what she said!

Sorry

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

CaptainGimpy posted:

WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED OF THE CHANGE OF LOCATION FOR THE "a TICKET CAME IN" THREAD?!?!?!

I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO PROPERLY AVOID MY DAY TO DAY WORK FOR TWO DAYS BECAUSE I WAS NOT NOTIFIED OF THIS. AND BEFORE YOU SAY I SHOULD HAVE BEEN READING MY THREADS, IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY TO PAY ATTENTION TO ANY OF THE 6 PAGES THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN MADE REGARDING THIS.

i'M cc'ING MY MANAGER AND YOUR MANAGER AND THE ceo JUST TO BE SURE THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN.

Ticket closed, user did not read the notice.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Welp, I guess we got Kevin Mitnicked today.

I had just gotten off the phone and a couple of users crept up to me, wide-eyed. One almost in tears. "Mojok, something is wrong with our phone system. A bunch of us are getting calls from some super pissed-off people screaming "STOP CALLING US!"

https://www.drvoip.com/blog/shoretel-support-and-service/hacking-shoretel-for-fun-and-profit/

"So lets put this simple ShoreTel hack together – the hackers gained control of a voice mail box, then called into the ShoreTel Voice Mail system with a spoofed Caller ID and the left a brief message. Calling back into the system, this time to check their voice messages and then hit the “return call” option key, which then placed a call to an International Middle East location all billed to the the ShoreTel system owner and showing up only as a Call Detail Record owned by the Automated Attendant."

In our case these bad men weren't calling a middle east location, they were... calling and hanging up in some cases? And some of the irate people calling in here said when they picked up someone was on the line trying to sell them insurance or scam them or some poo poo.

I opened the Shoretel trunk test tool and all our trunks were lighting up like Christmas trees as these vermin used their autodialer on us. It was incredible, never experienced anything like that before.

I don't miss administrating ShoreTel at all. Not. One. Bit.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Some of my customers print barcoded credentials on a sticker that they put in their shop floor PCs. One of those stickers, with the plaintext clearly legible, made it into one of my company's marketing videos. :ughh:

I spotted it before anyone noticed and used them, but the marketing team had the vid on the corporate YouTube channel for two months before they sent it to us. It then took two days after I raised the alarm for them to take the video down.

Do you work for a large automotive parts supplier software company?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Anyone have any experience with Nintex and O365 Sharepoint? Apparently this is a new project for us and me!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

The Fool posted:

My experience is getting a quote from them and my boss saying they're too expensive.

He wasn't wrong, their product does way more than what we needed.

Are you trying to accomplish a specific task, or just have a general need for workflow tools in sharepoint?

It was just given to me today. Apparently we purchased it and IT will own it going forward, and I own it in IT. Whee? I have very little SharePoint experience, but that's never stopped me before!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

nexxai posted:

I believe so, but if they don't, I'll keep it running by myself. It's not going anywhere.

Dude I can host it at least short term if you need

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

We need to make a smaller version of this the new 2018 Get Out GIF for our thread:

Maybe just the part until GET OUT appears?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Renegret posted:

I can't believe I'm going to turn down a job offer because the team I'd be working on is full of tech bros. I met them in the interview and I couldn't get the idea out of my head that everyone has drank soylent at some point or another. The entire team is balls deep in bitcoin, they're obsessed with pubg and fortnite, and although they're allowed to watch Twitch at work, all they watch is Dr. Disrespect. I work with a few guys like that right now and it's obnoxious, I can't imagine an entire team of them. Right now I work with a bunch of middle aged republicans and it's pretty great honestly, as long as we don't talk politics.

It's a good company to work for but I think I'll lose my mind within six months on that team.

If the raise is right you can

quote:

Also I have to go back to talking to customers and lol gently caress that.

oh gently caress that

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Always go with your gut. It's right way more often.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

The Fool posted:

A ticket came in..

From an Exchange rule. We created an exchange rule in an attempt to reduce phishing e-mails masquerading as our executive team. The results have been really positive and I almost cheer when I see a bunch of phishing e-mails that didn't make it to a users inbox.

I am literally implementing something like this tomorrow morning. Mine is really basic, just checking the name field of the email and if it is from an external source, moving it over to Junk Mail. What did you do?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

Digitalmocking
Friday ‪03:55 pm‬
I am shutting this server down until the server role and it's impact on production can be assessed.

gently caress them.

I clapped when I read that email after I got home. You did good.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

A ticket came in: Hey, Helpdesk, this pesky error message came in again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

Our PR guy had a nervous breakdown and specifically cites the director as the cause.

After nearly 3 years I have finally completed the card access project.

:siren:The Director is about two weeks away from accepting a position as superintendent in another city:siren:

He has become unbearable and his most likely replacement is the nicest guy I have ever met.

I have been offered a job as technology director for the engineering school at a college. It pays $20k more than I make here with regular raises and bonuses. Word is that it’s extremely laid back and they have more money than they know how to spend. I’ll also have employees again :allears:

Things are shaping up nicely.

Duuuuuude that's awesome. Congrats!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol holy gently caress. our Sr SysEng just accidentally deleted our NetApp's service account. Whoops.

LOL HOLY gently caress THEN HE DELETED ALL OF OUR SHARES. GODDAMNIT

At $job-2 we had a Senior Storage Engineer wipe the NetApp that had our biggest customer's environment on it. That was a looooooong weekend for a lot of the team, and led to a policy where no one was allowed to wipe storage remotely anymore.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Anyone else going to Ignite? I'm kind of looking forward to it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

tomapot posted:

Just getting caught up on the thread. Got my approval and registered this week.

Seems like there's a few of us! I'd be down for a drink or whatever.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

An incident came in. A couple of hours later a recommendations field on the incident report went out:

Taking that walk now.

Yiiiiikes

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, everyone else involved said the email seems really fishy. I told my manager and the director about it. The person who originally got the email and I are doing Symantec full scans and they’re trying to reach out to the vendor by phone. This isn’t how I expected to spend the first half of today.

Yes I know AV is worthless, but that’s what I’ve been told to do so I’m covering my rear end.

Do the headers look legit? Is it a new payment method for this vendor? We've seen some interesting stuff recently, the spoofers are getting better at some parts but still include lines like "Our CFO Mrs Lisa" with a Gmail address...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Another loving scam email came in. I mean seriously, two in 3 business days. I need to get something infosec related on my title at this rate.

poo poo I am re-doing my sig to Infosec Cloud Engineer in that case :(

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Hey are we going to have an Ignite meetup? I am going up Sat before and staying after.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I forgot to mention - Page 100 and going strong, thanks thread :glomp:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

The Fool posted:

I'm coming in on Sunday, but fly out first thing Saturday morning

Sirotan posted:

My boss is trying to send me to this, so I hope there is a goon meetup. Don't know yet what day I would potentially arrive/leave.

Cool, should we make an Ignite Thread closer to the event?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Just turned on the Out of Office notice for vacation. :woop:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

An employee pulled me aside to ask whether or not I could scrub sensitive, career-ending, information that implicates them in having made a dumb as gently caress decision from our system in case it goes to court.

:yotj: bicth

I imagine the answer is no, but can you share more?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Loanarn posted:

If you anywhere near Portland my company has the same beers in fridge everyone has 1-2 at 3-4. We also have a kegerator, snacks, and take what you need PTO. And we are hiring and I have a post about all the jobs in the SC/SH job fair.

Edit: This is a horrible shilly page snipe but I don't have time to add content right now as I need to leave to go to my awesome job.

Hey, why are you not in the Oregoons Slack? (Or are you just under another name?)

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Loanarn posted:

This is the first time Ive heard of it. I got called out at work by a fellow goon so I know we have at least 1 more here. I do go on drives in my Skyline with some AI goons a couple times a month.

I'll message you a link when I'm back, I'm phone posting now.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

We're having a terrible time filling a Network Engineer 1 slot, the guy interviewed today was nice but no where near an entry network person. Ugh.

Portland Job market is on fire.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

#Ignite2018 meet up, anyone?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Are you making a thread or should we just rely on the Slack room to coordinate?

I can make a thread but think it might get buried. Let's use the channel on Slack.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A ticket came in.

It appeared to come from a legit Citrix email so I asked the sender to let me take a look at the email header info. Then my boss intervened and said it is clearly a phishing scam and that the user must permanently delete the email at once.
Well it's not a phishing scam. It's just a terrible email.

The font used didn't render well either, in some browsers it looks like terribly broken English. I spent my morning yesterday investigating that :sigh:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Wow, TIL

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

This is my favorite print of that haiku

This is my wall paper for my desktop at work. I am in charge of our DNS and SSL. :sigh:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

We use profile redirects at my workplace. I wrote a PowerShell script for deleting local profiles off of conference room computers to keep the hard drives from filling up (the workstations download the profile at initial login and keep it updated for quick access).

You want to share that script?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

No reason to update the thread title, unless it really triggers someone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

I am so loving triggered right now.

It's not the DNS, or if it is, it's Paul's fault.