Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

doing the needful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We have backups of the old thread, right?

Right?????

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What kind of gpu vendor doesn't provide signed drivers :confused:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

As a student I would certainly be upset as well.

You should think about if their lack of trust is in you personally, or in the institution, you could be projecting this on yourself unnecessarily.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Renegret posted:

please post uplifting stories like this

I got rejected for a promotion I really really want for the 3rd time in a row and I'm feeling downnnnnnnnn

Time to find another job.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

He may have meant goons-as-in-not-the-SA-nickname.

Doubtful

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spog posted:

Serious question that I've had on my mind for a while:

What;s the cheapest/simplest method of broadcasting multiple SSIDs, even if none of them have the ability to act as an AP?

https://tools.kali.org/wireless-attacks/mdk3

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spog posted:

I was hoping for something a bit more whimsical, rather than violent.

it's a tool, you can use it in a whimsical fashion.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Elizabethan Error posted:

faraday cages have to be electrified to work :laffo:

if they're not grounded, they would, else how is a stable electrical field going to be achieved.

grounding creates a stable field. not that it matters in this case since there's huge holes in the middle of the cage.

That is not at all how Faraday cages work. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

WhatsApp

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"The Keurig of X" is a magnet for VC money

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What's 16gb and 512gb in this day and age anyway? Pretty standard stuff imo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season 2 gets hilariously terrible, because you can always see the exact moment in each episode they write themselves into a corner and contrive bullshit for a solution.

Isn't CSI the one where IRC is pirate ships passing packages at sea?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Eh, it's not like anyone is going to miss American beer

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

dogstile posted:

This is why you ignore those until HR comes to bug you about it.

Also because internal surveys, for me at least, have historically only been used as ammo by the HR department when they want to make someone look bad

"Does not participate in employee surveys"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CIFS and SMB is the same thing.

Also what's silo in this context?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure why CIFS/SMB were somehow identified separately. Noise I guess.

Silo in this context is 2-3 teams buying poo poo that does the same thing - usually after having dedicated tools and shared access, or not telling other teams the poo poo they're doing (which impacts the other team), or people literally hiding the poo poo they're doing because they know they're doing it wrong.
Ah yeah of course.

So in any case using PST's over the network is a bad idea. That adobe stuff also doesn't really sound like a winner when used over SMB. I think you need to start doing some local replication and caching or something.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oops I accidentally the whole NetApp

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GWBBQ posted:

Our sysadmin to our boss "I'm not supporting those computers until they pull their heads out of their asses. You can figure out the nice way to say that and no, I'm not wasting my time attending that meeting they invited me to."

Our boss considers that a perfectly acceptable thing to say to him and will play diplomat with the incompetent department.

Good boss, that's his job.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Z170 iirc.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

^^^ Yes. VDSL isn't available because of some excuse about the quality of the copper in the building, and fibre hasn't been run. :v:

I was being overdramatic, but we're on Zealandia which is either a microcontinent or a submerged continent depending on your scientific views.

Bro they have better internet in Old Zealand

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Actually, Danish fibre speeds have been downgraded to VDSL2 speeds because "the Danes don't care about fiber optics" according to their BT-equivalent phone company.

That's not where Old Zealand is.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zil posted:

And it got soggy way way too fast.

That would be the pre-soak at the factory.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

xsf421 posted:

This is a production physical server without disk cleanup installed. When we asked when we could reboot it to install the feature, we were told no downtime was acceptable. Sometimes this place is incredible.

The trick is not to ask for downtime. The trick is to just tell them it's going to be down for X amount of time.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

I always learned that as long as the wires are the same on both ends, and you keep the pairs paired, the actual colors didn't matter. Is this not true? :confused:

This is correct.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I imagine crosstalk would gently caress it up if you have tx and rx or either with poe in the same twisted pair. Not make it totally unusable, but would impact performance especially if you are running 1gig and poe

There's no way for this to happen if you keep the colors the same at both ends and keep the pairs paired.

E: as far as OP's problem goes, my guess is that the cables were crimped incorrectly to begin with.

Don't crimp your own cables, it's just not worth it. Just get a bunch of pre made ones in different lengths.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Are you quite sure it's a database problem? You should turn on query logging to see what the application is actually doing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Of course they've just bcrypted each character with a salt, so they can tell, right?

That would still be a very bad idea.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

nexxai posted:

Question time.

I have a client who has about 900MB of SOP and JSA documentation and needs a way to distribute this to a bunch of users in the field who use company issued iPads attached to the corporate MDM MaaS360 (PS: gently caress MaaS360). The goal is to limit the amount of mobile data usage to near-zero (for this solution) because these guys are literally out in the wilderness and need access to the documents no matter where they are, which likely means a local (potentially cached) copy of every single document. The devices have enough storage so physically storing them is not a problem, but I'm running into roadblocks trying to find something that will accomplish this for us.

The ideas that have been suggested and why we don't *think* they apply (but I'd be happy to be proven wrong on any of them) are:
  • Dropbox - Does not provide a method to locally cache that many documents, we don't think
  • OneDrive - See Dropbox
  • SharePoint - Is loving SharePoint
I don't need the app to be super polished or pretty looking; as long as it does the job reliably, I'm interested. I have a hard time believing we're the first people to have this problem, but all of my googling has turned up nothing but apps that help you create SOPs (we've already got them created; just need to get them to the device), or file sharing apps that have no concept of caching.

Anyone have any ideas or places I should look closer?

You can select individual files to be available offline with Dropbox. Just do that for all the docs. Or did you already look into this and is there a limit you're running into?

e:
Is this not enough?

quote:

Is there a limit on the number or size of folders I can make available offline?

You can make up to 100 folders available offline.

A folder can't be saved for offline use if:

The folder contains more than 10,000 files

The folder contains more than 100 GB

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 15, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MANime in the sheets posted:

A ticket came in (at midnight):

"Database full in Exchange server"
User called in reporting that he hasn’t gotten email since 1:00pm today. We investigated inside the exchange server and found an error on one of the exchange databases (arcmboxdb4) “431-4.3.1 STOREDRV, mailbox disk is full”. This database is stored on server: <SERVER> within the H drive. The H disk on this server is almost full.

Who needs to be contacted for follow-up and what is their expectation regarding contact: <USER NAME>, only email, user is not available for the rest of the night

:negative:

If you fix their email it's not a problem anymore is it? :q:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PirateDentist posted:

poo poo. Does this motherboard I want to buy have that issue?

Whew. Okay. Every single "enthusiast" and higher board now mentions it has solid caps because of that. Even my LGA 1151 board still mentions it, though the blurb is a lot smaller now.

This was 10-20 years ago dude.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It probably wasn't loading MSCDEX or something, or whatever the equivalent driver was for 95/98/ME

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Infosec is a good racket I recommend it.

Protip: SOC work is the helpdesk of infosec.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Infosec is the laziest line of work too. All you do is say no to everything, and if there's nothing to say no to you just run a Nessus scan against something and send the report without providing context, demanding immediate action.

Are you a developer?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Realtalk though, while the infosec field is very diverse and has lots and lots of great people, there are a lot of lazy and incompetent people (like any industry I guess). I've had to deal with my fair share of lazy rear end "pentesters" who run OpenVAS and scream bloody murder at ridiculous non-issues, like OMG YOU RUN APACHE 2.4.something THAT IS SO OLD". Yeah buddy I run CentOS ever heard of backporting? geez.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I don't think I have the discipline to do that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In certain high-security environments it can also be a requirement for TEMPEST

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"We must now consume the humans' food to gain their trust."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pr0digal posted:

The answer is that the SAN solution that we install needs a private metadata connection that isn't routed along with a fibre-channel connection plus the house connection.

:what:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wibla posted:

Ah, process whack-a-mole, always fun.

Sounds like it's time for a nice game of psDooM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah you did it wrong lol