Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Old thread was transferred to the GOLDMINE server. Check with your manager re: GOLDMINE access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

gently caress printers

I'm still sometimes tempted to buy a production xerox for my apartment since at least that'll break fewer times and I can actually get support :v:

Because goddamn printers are poo poo. I have no idea how something so essential to everyday life is so broken across literally every single vendor.

It's "hilariously complex electromechanical device" meets "make as cheap as possible". Fast, good, cheap...pick 0.5 of those 3 for printers.

That said, for home, the Brother lasers are kick-rear end. I have one of those and a HP LaserJet 4100 that's stopped working with Windows 10 now.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

GreenNight posted:

The 4100 will work if you use the latest ver of the Universal Print Driver.

I think I tried this, but still got boxes on printouts instead of the text I was expecting. I was so frustrated wasting paper and time than I ordered the Brother printer that same day for overnight shipping.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dravs posted:

Edit: Also this only seems to be affecting CPU architectures in between Sandy Bridge and Coffee Lake (so like the 3000 series to the 7000 series?), so if you are still running a 2550k on your home PC like I am then you shouldn't see any problems.

Sandy and Ivy are the same uArch (mostly), with Ivy being the Tock, so unless part of that Tock and deepening the pipeline + adding new instructions also modified the branch predictor, they’re probably either both vulnerable or not. Ivy was only a ~5% clock for clock CPU bump over SNB IIRC.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Farking Bastage posted:

I can tell you that the expensive firewalls have quirks of their own. 15 minutes before quitting time today, something went wonky with our *VERY* expensive Checkpoint 15000 HA pair. We pushed an application rule to block snapchat and something glitched. The primary poo poo itself completely, but not in such a way that the HA backup would sense it and take over. Forced a failover to the secondary, but it still didn't want to work right. We ended up having to revert the config on the primary, fail it back over then revert the secondary. I'll be on the phone with someone in Israel a lot tomorrow looks like :(

That’s a lot of effort to stop dick pics, just saying.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

[SPAM] If you feel the need to more serious post, check this out here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Many years ago, there were the "official" Star Wars voice packs available for I think TomTom GPS units. One of our fraternity brothers was due to leave on a long road trip, and we thought it appropriate to contribute our own Star Wars voice that for whatever reasons, those geniuses missed — Chewbacca. Being engineers, it was a fun reverse-engineering exercise that was absolutely worth the long weekend spent figuring out how to get in there.

Needless to say, he was not amused by our poor (I disagree, I have an excellent Wookiee impression) dialogue and the uselessness of "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggh turn rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!" but I'd like to think it was a magical road trip.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Not Wolverine posted:

I'm sure this is the wrong thread but can P9 run Crysis? Why or why not? What thread should I ask in to learn more about POWER vs Intel/AMD?

I've been toying with the idea of just starting a general comp arch/uarch nerd thread (talk about ARM, RISC-V, etc etc), but right now you'll probably get posters to reply in either the Intel or AMD thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Do it. I'd have a ball with that. I know some of my nerd outbursts aren't really appropriate for this thread, but there's not really another place for it, currently. At least within the context of A to B vs C type stuff.

Thoughts on doing effort post / OP post, or just something to kick it off? I think if I try to some kind of intro / effort post, it will likely never happen and since it's just a discussion thread... doesn't really matter, I guess.