Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I was keeping all of the old posts in the trash bin for archiving purposes and now they are gone?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You absolutely know this is the case. "I'm saving this company single handedly! I'm so important! It's worth the daily stress every morning when I'm panicking over breakfast because this business and everybody else depends on me!"

If they're lucky they'll connect the dots and realize their extra work puts money in their bosses pockets while they get a hearty pat on the back before they collapse of heart failure at the family picnic.

My friend two days ago passed away from Leukemia, and it put things into perspective for me. Life is too short for this kind of bullshit, and my skills allow me to work from basically anywhere. Life is too short to work more than 40 hours a week for a company. I am never doing it again. My family and friends are more important than my career.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Back when I used it it was a horrible piece of poo poo that constantly blew up and the support was worthless.

So... enterprise software?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My dude,

I know you are a single parent, but you need to move. Your location is toxic and has no job prospects. I had to to this 3 years ago and it changed my life for the better.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How many kids have you guys moved away from, personally? How about we think about that before telling this guy to ditch the strongest connection to another human being you can have.

I had 2 stepchildren at the time, and now I also have a foster daughter. I had to move my wife, my children, and my dog 1,800 miles away from my immediate family to make a better life for ourselves. It was an incredibly hard decision for me to make, but in the end, it worked out.

It was either that or go insane, and for my children's sake, I would rather not go insane.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I naturally wake up around 4:30, so I come into work around 5 when nobody is here.

I leave by 1. :smug:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Why does ratbert get to leave so early every day??!

Get here at 5. :smug: Is what I say. They usually say no thanks and leave.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

Don't let the capitalist man pit you against your brothers. Say not "why does ratbert ninety get to leave so early", say instead, "why do I come here at all"

I would say 50% of the time I work from home.
Although this next month I will be onboarding a new guy, so I have to be in the office every day. :smith:

However; the office is only 7 miles away so that's good.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I like your job. Can I have it when you get promoted?

lmbo no you don't. The hours are great sure, but the interoffice politics and management are complete and utter garbage.

Life got 100% better for me once I started treating them like a 1099 client.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Antioch posted:

Thank you. His name is Beans, and he's pretty great.

Beans choice in beer makes him a bad dog though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Beer or beer glass? This is an important distinction.

The beer is too light to be a Guinness. This is the major issue.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Some of you all care way way way too much about your jobs.

Pro-Tip: Stop giving a poo poo and just do what you can and leave at 8 hours.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Pro-er tip: put in the amount of work that makes you happy. If that's working your rear end off for 5 hours and loving off the rest of the day, do that. If it's working slow and steady 12 hours a day and not getting stressed, do that.

If you can't balance your job and your happiness you should probably look for a new job.

Very true.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

My Angry Boss flipped his lid over something trivial early this morning and took it out on the next person he saw (me) and was professionally insulting in front of a subordinate. There's a whole list of little extra things I do outside my literal job description that just evaporated.

I learned a few months ago that if there's no incentive for me to do anything extra, then why bother doing anything extra ever?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Volguus posted:

What are you talking about, there's always an incentive:

My boss told me to feel bad for the owner because he had to sell his yacht.

I am not joking or exaggerating. I laughed in his face.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Partycat posted:

Just delete it and go on with your day having not had to deal with that

Alternatively: Sure can! For boat money.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm imposter syndrome-ing hard in my new job. Every time I think I :words:

Pro-Tip if you want to get rid of impostor syndrome: Interview people for your position

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Oh god I'm still trying to block out having to interview for my replacement at my last job. Most of the interviews ended with guilt towards my boss about leaving.

Made me feel loving great about myself though, that tip absolutely works.

Keep your head down, learn, make mistakes and fix them. Engineering is about failing twice for every success. Aptitude is far more important than having the smarts RIGHT NOW!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My first PC was a Commodore 128. I’m young at the age of 33 apparently.

My first Linux was Slackware 3.1, I have hired guys who’s first Linux was Ubuntu 12.04. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

nexxai posted:

Question time: I'm writing a script to automate the mounting and spot checking our full-system backups and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a file that I can check that would change pretty frequently? I don't think something like this exists and so we might need to manually add something to our backup jobs to create some kind of text file with a timestamp in it that I can check for staleness (e.g. if the timestamp is older than one day, we know that the backup isn't grabbing the latest version of the file and so we should investigate), but if something like this already exists, I'd love to know about it.

If it's on linux, couldn't you just stat ${file} |grep Change ?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My first IT job was installing Windows 3.11 on every computer in my dad's classrooms. He handed me a stack of floppies that seemed like it was a foot tall, and said, "Put disk 1 in the first computer and follow the directions. When it's done, take it out, and move it to the next computer. The put disk 2 in. Do that all the way down the line." The line being 30 computers per classroom, across two rooms.

No cocaine was involved, nor was there a mullet, but I was an 8 year old girl with tragic, "my hairdresser IS a former rodeo queen, why do you ask?" hair. There may have been Mountain Dew, however, and that's basically cocaine to a pre-teen.

Hell, that's cocaine to anybody. Sugar + water is incredibly addictive.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

A ticket came in somewhere and has since been closed as solved:
https://i.imgur.com/GcFQIrm.mp4

Needfull complete: A drip pan is now under the cable.

EFB! :argh:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Fool posted:

wtf did I just see

Voodoo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bigass Moth posted:

There is something positive about being in person with your team. I'm not sure I need it 40 hours a week, but it's less isolated than full time work from home.

Nah. With the advent of the internet you can collaborate with team members from home!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's so good. I'm 3 days/week remote right now because I-75 is an unmitigated loving disaster, and I love it. My team lead doesn't know I'm going to lobby for 1 or 2 days/month in the office soon, instead of the other way around when construction wraps for the season.

At first my boss wanted me to come in 4 days a week after I moved to SoCal. I would have to take the I-10 into work.

I now WFH 4 days a week when I told him absolutely not. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Gosh, that sounds familiar.

"Drop everything and do patching!"
"What about the broken deployment server for the M&A we're onboarding in a week?"
"Do that too!"
"I can't...literally, I can't do both."
"We need both done."
"So you want me on a call at 2am to babysit a bunch of chucklefucks who argue with everything I say because it's apparently beneath them to listen to a woman, then show up at 8am and write code til 5pm?"
"Well...no, that sounds unreasonable."
"YES. I KNOW."

We're stocking our kanban backlog with every task we've had to drop to patchpatchpatch so someone on the board has a maximum strength IT boner chart to show off at fiscal year end. It's pretty brutal looking. Boss is going to rename it, "THE GROUND," as in, "you told us to drop everything, so there it is, on the ground."

Here is how this conversation should go:
"Drop everything and do patching!"
"Patching, or deployment server for the M&A we're onboarding in a week, pick one."
"Both!"
"No"

Edit* Alternative:
"Both!"
"Boat money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Methanar posted:

Live in SV, get your 200k a year tech job. Move to Alabama and keep your 200k a year salary. What are they going to do, tell you that your salary is being reduced?

Some companies would absolutely try that horseshit.