Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
If in four years I'm still at the company where I work, barring some kind of miracle making it an ideal place to work, I hosed up. I've already been there way too long.
The IT Director resigned, then his replacement, the former Assistant Director resigned (he had the position for like a week), and that leaves me as the most senior person in IT. Tomorrow I get to go in and find out what the gently caress they want to do to fix the department.

Oh and just before that one of my best sysadmins resigned. They all went to the company that the IT Director moved on to. Who knows if he'll recruit more people from our team and if one of them will be me.

What a way to start 2018.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Dunno-Lars posted:

The way I am reading this, you are now the boss of IT. How about those raises for your team members that you want to keep? I would guess you are in a position to go bat for them now.

If that fails, ask the IT director for a job.

I’ve considered that aspect of it, believe me. In the short term that would be awesome, but in the long term... I saw what happened to the former director. Also, he went to bat for us constantly and was shut down almost every time because that’s the kind of place this is. I’m gunning for Assistant Director; the responsibilities are actually in my wheelhouse and I can advocate for the team way better if I’m not constantly under assault from the other directors with a vendetta against us.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Came in to 238 emails (I've been out since the 22nd), literally nothing from the COO about how he is going to replace IT's missing management. He's known about this, and has been in this office, since the 26th.
I checked our payment processing system and I still only have authority over the 5 support guys & sysadmins. It still says I report to my old manager.

:shepicide:

edit: i should have expected this tbh

COO posted:

A search for [Former Director]'s successor is underway. In the interim, I will be the Acting Director of IT. As such, you may route matters to my attention. Thank you.

So is Dice still the best site to use or what

Fortis fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 2, 2018

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

ConfusedUs posted:

It was the week-ish of Christmas and New Year's. I've never had a company that got anything worthwhile done in that time.

Maybe you're right, but maybe everyone was out on vacation, or at least enough of them to make handling something like that impossible.

Anywhere else and you'd be right, but the COO isn't one to let people being on vacation get in his way, plus everyone who would have made any decisions was in last week. I'm 99% sure the only reason the COO sent us the email in my edit above is because we asked HR what the gently caress was going on.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I wore my nice shoes today because I expected to be stuck in meetings all day with people who care about that and now I scuffed them. :mad:

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Judge Schnoopy posted:

May I see it?

... No.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
At my company simply getting the work from home infrastructure was a year-long struggle, and they only ultimately approved it because some sales reps wanted to move and be remote full-time. After that, we actually were allowed to work from home up to 20 hours a week (4 hours a day, and a separate unlimited amount of time to work remote if sick) as long as there was coverage in IT. Other departments adopted our remote work policies, too, it was awesome. But then profits dipped and the COO scrambled for an excuse, and singled out occasional remote work as the scapegoat.

But this is a company where the CEO famously said “people are here to work, not be entertained” about headphones, so I guess we should have seen it coming.

Executives, man. Who even knows with them.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

FW: Your Office 365 password is expiring posted:

On June 11, 2018 @ 12:25 pm, Sales Guy wrote:
Please advise
Thank you,
Sales Guy

>From: Microsoft Office 365 Tech Support [mailto:support@office366.com]

:thunk:

At least he asked, I guess.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I was pretty excited that we got to prove how robust our WFH infrastructure was and how valuable Office 365 could be to the relatively new upper management team as we scrambled to accommodate social distancing mandates across the company. Unfortunately, despite being the one who orchestrated and oversaw pretty much the entire aforementioned process, I couldn’t prove to them that my position as a second-in-command IT manager was valuable enough to not lay off about a week later.

At least my and the team’s efforts ultimately helped facilitate them breaking the news to me over a Teams video call. :suicide:

Looks like 2020 is :yotj: for me whether I’m ready or not. Stay safe out there, fellow IT goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Haha, oh man. Usernames.

At my previous employer we had a policy of first initial+lastname, which worked well enough, but then the CEO, a man who was well past "should have retired already" refused to figure out how Outlook's autocomplete worked. We had someone in IT and someone in sales whose usernames had the same three letters; let's say they were 'jsmith' and 'jsmalls'. The CEO kept emailing jsmith sales-related emails intended for jsmalls, because he just kept typing 'jsm' and not checking who Outlook would put in the address bar. Eventually, jsmith left, but this kept happening. It would always be different people, but the CEO would continually email the wrong people due to never paying attention to autocomplete.

Eventually, the CIO (the CEO's son) decided that this problem was IT's, and drafted the most batshit username policy I've ever seen. The primary rule was that all employees had to have a 3-letter identifier (which was used in the ERP system, and this had its own host of problems), and the username's first three characters HAD to match that. To compound the problem, the three-letter identifiers were originally initials before this policy was established, and anyone who had one assigned before that point got to keep their original identifier.

It was loving chaos.

New people would start and we'd find out their username had to be different due to a collision with an existing username, an existing three-letter identifier, or both. Sometimes there'd be a collision with an identifier that was no longer in use, but due to how our ERP worked could never actually be used again. Our primary AD admin had a PowerShell script he'd use to generate new users, but the script couldn't account for every single collision or edge case. We did the best we could, but every time a new user would be set up and the CIO noticed a collision between usernames/three-letter IDs/whatever, he would email me (at that point I was Assistant Director, which was really just IT Operations Manager) and ask me why the collision occurred, as if I'd done it on purpose.

At least in those cases, where my predecessor would have emailed the AD admin and said "please be more diligent, you are killing me," I just said "Welp, it happened again; please change things around so it fits [CIO]'s mandate" because I knew that the entire situation was total loving nonsense adding unnecessary stress to a job that can already get pretty fraught.

The same CIO once had us change the "time.off.reminder@company.com" (a distribution list consisting of mostly just admin assistants and HR) email address to "qq.time.off.reminder" because some dipshit in Engineering kept trying to email his buddy Tim to talk poo poo about their coworkers and kept sending it to the distribution list instead. Evidently the argument of "tell that idiot to stop being a moron" wasn't compelling enough to not put the problem on IT. That rear end in a top hat basically made sure IT was the only department held accountable ever.

Ultimately, I suppose I'm thankful I got laid off in March. Just writing this out made my blood pressure spike.