Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In four years I’ll hopefully be working remote from somewhere in the mountains that still has a decent internet connection. Maybe somewhere cheapish., it would be cool to be able to just sock away big city money living up in the CO / WY mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

That's what everyone says until the cabin fever sets in :shepface:

That’s why you have to live close enough to town to head in regularly for food and moonshining supplies, it gives you human interaction once in a while.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So the 4 series is getting hit hard according to early reports? Fuuuuuuuck, I just gave my wife my old Haswell desktop. She is going to be pissed when it suddenly slows down a ton.

I guess it’s still time to just sit and wait and see how bad it is.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A ticket came in: I was trying to log into this other person’s account and it didn’t work, could you please unlock her account and change her password?

I hope I’m not becoming a BOFH, but sometimes saying no feels so good.

E: My manager emailed me and congratulated me on handling the request perfectly. First I said it would be a violation of security policy, then when she pushed back I sent her the acceptable use policy that was sent to every employee last week saying never to share passwords.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 16, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

420-69-7175

It didn’t work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

And who knows, maybe he’ll come through for you sometime. I had lost a really lovely job at 16.5/hr in 2016, got submitted for a job at $22/hr and was told I didn’t get it on Friday. First thing in the morning Monday I get a call saying they want me after all. Either later Monday or on Tuesday somebody I worked with way back in 2014 messaged me on LinkedIn. Turns out he worked there, said he heard I had applied, and that he hoped I got it.

My only conclusion is that I got a 33% pay bump after a month of unemployment because of a guy that I worked with but barely interacted with years before. A guy you helped get a job like that, he’ll definitely vouch for you in the future.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it even possible to block devices from seeing an SSID?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

fishmech posted:

There's really nothing wrong with having 98 exposed to the internet these days - almost no malware runs on it anymore. :v:

That’s actually what I was thinking. Probably safer than XP. As a bonus a lot of them aren’t vulnerable to Meltdown/Spectre.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just a reminder that desktop and laptop processors are very different. i3 desktops are perfectly functional, i3 laptops are best used as doorstops.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

The beer is too light to be a Guinness. This is the major issue.

Yes, that’s the reason it might not be a poo poo beer.

I actually wondered if he worked with me, so I made an excuse to go into the area where that guy sits. He’s here, so it’s a coincidence.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

That's weird because wort on the boil smells fuckin delicious.

I don’t know why, but it reminds me of tomato soup. My friend and I left a taproom at closing time a while ago and they had started up. He said that’s why he loves homebrewing, making the whole apartment smell like that for days.

Personally I think it’s kind of gross because I don’t like tomato soup.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

so i'm pretty sure that if a computer has lost its trust relationship with the dc and the local admin account is disabled, i'm just entirely hosed, right?

It's a surface book so I can't even rip the drive :laffo:

Would that repair disk, command line, reassign the function of sticky keys thing work, or would that not work since local admin is disabled? Could that same access enable the admin account?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Another desktop support guy got fired today. Apparently he had missed at least one day per week 7/8 of the weeks he was here. He missed 23% of the days he was supposed to be working. We’re having a really hard time finding and holding onto good employees on that team. Not sure if it’s pay or poor interviewing or what.

Bright side I get to see if a former coworker is interested. If he is, referral bonus.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Actually, booting tangs is a different fetish.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That was all tolerable until you mentioned Dr Disrespect.

Actually I’ve never watched anything of his but from the few seconds I’ve seen and the fact that he cheated on his wife he sounds terrible.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Renegret posted:

Take everything you know about twitch and twitch "culture" that makes it terrible. Distill it and make a single caricature of all those things combined into one person.

That's Dr. Disrespect.

And in hindsight, imagine an office where they bring him up during a god drat job interview as an example of their office culture. Maybe if they found me 5 years ago this would be a different decision for me.

Ah, okay. I just tend to watch Shroud stuff when I feel like watching people play video games because as someone who has been playing FPSes (poorly to somewhat well) for over a decade it’s really cool to see one of the best players in the world doing it.

Also because he’s chill and doesn’t rage and doesn’t say racist/sexist/homophobic stuff, he actually seems like he would be pleasant to be around if he ever actually left his house.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

I once had a boss tell me that instead of a raise, I could get a bonus! Sure, money I can't count on and that will be taxed out the rear end is the same thing as an increase in pay, thanks.

Not count on is true, but it’s actually taxed at the same rate as everything else, more is just withheld in most cases. You either get it back as a refund or adjust your withholdings to take advantage of it. :eng101:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We need a smiley that’s :uhaul: with a dogsled.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Doesn’t cause life ruining blackouts, so it’s not ambien. It’s worse.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Hope nobody under him had the habit of phrasing restarting anything as "resume [X process]".

I hope Bob had that habit after setting it up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

My mental image of bob is as a big hairy biker dude, so this story all checks out.

He’s a weightlifter who was completely obsessed with bench at the expense of everything else, so not far off.

Seriously, though, they expect you to be ready to tackle the possibly violent employee? gently caress that. Bring front desk lady in, lock her and yourself in, wait until the guy is out one way or another.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks for those pictures, I sent the first one to my friend as a mayo and CPU sandwich.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

No, wisdom check.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Probably was run by someone who last knew about internet speeds when T1 was the fastest, and T3 must be two better than the fastest.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Especially considering his job at the station was making $30k, that’s a ridiculous raise for Mississippi.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

This job pays three times that.

That's rich man money around here.

Are you paying alimony or just child support? IIRC she made as much money as you. Not sure if MS is an at-fault State, but she was cheating on you so if so I would guess that hurts the alimony chances. $90k is drat good in Colorado, you could be absolutely rolling in it right now.

Time to buy a red Porsche and some gaudy jewelry to get back on the market.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Plot twist: the CE gets Larches’s current job.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there any way to shrink PDF file sizes if you only have Acrobat Reader? People keep sending PDFs too large for our software’s document archive. I tried doing print to pdf with just one page and it somehow came out larger. The options for shrinking PPI or resolution don’t work in Reader. The last thing I can think of is take a screenshot and shrink it, but I don’t know if they need the W9s as PDFs for some reason.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Unfortunately, I just have reader, not pro.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m concerned about possible data harvesting with those no-name applications because these are tax forms with EINs, SSNs, and anything else needed to commit fraud. Are there any reputable ones?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

spog posted:

No.

To be honest, if you are processing sensitive data then springing a couple of hundred bucks for Acrobat Pro is a no-brainer.

I’ll see if something like that is a possibility.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If it helps, you probably make more than those people with a master’s.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sheep posted:

Here let me help:

I think this makes me an honorary C-level now?

Yeah, the level of C that’s only appropriate in the UK (and Australia).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Renegret posted:

Just last month, I realized I had been using a 100mbps home router for the past three years.

I get 300mbps service

I work in networking :negative:

I’ve got 200mbps service and my modem maxes out around 118.

In my defense it was a special deal from Comcast where I got 200 up from 75 for 12 months and my bill went from $83 to $50. So the increased speed is just a bonus.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Melbourne needs to be changed back to Batmania right loving now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

Every day, twice a day.

I salute your stamina.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Maybe my router’s WiFi just isn’t very good, but I started getting way faster down speeds once I moved my router onto my desk and directly connected. You also never drop your WiFi connection and aren’t sending anything over the air when you’re wired in.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, mine was N-band, I think I have AC now but moved the router before I bought the new computer.

Sounds like no matter what you're not going to get anything approaching gigabit through WiFi. Gigabit is kind of excessive either way, but if you're paying for it you might as well use it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My dad's an electrician and ran Cat5e throughout the entire house I grew up in, so I got spoiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I will admit I haven't upgraded my modem to something that can handle my full 200mbits because I don't want to spend the money, and I only have the 200 because it was a promo that was cheaper than my 75. I can still download games off of Steam at 16mbps while my wife is streaming Netflix, that's good enough.