Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Also 27" monitors are big. :eyepop:

Hahaha. No.

Try 40" or 43" 4K :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

You could also set up an access point or two specifically for just the body cams, shove them on their own vlan and set the radios to whatever frequency you aren't using for your main network and let them have at.

This! Bonus if they support 5GHz.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

This is inviting disaster when they forget their phone someday...

Yeah no way I'm trusting that feature.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just deny his specific account the ability to make manual edits. And don't tell anyone you did.

Best suggestion yet :toot:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gorau posted:

A power surge came in!

I work in a very remote location that utilizes a SCADA system. Our SCADA servers are located on site in a locked office, two redundant ones, each on their own UPS. Last week we had a issue in the breaker panel for this office that our electrician didn’t have the parts to fix. This being a critical SCADA system, our guy on shift called our help desk 700km away. The t1 guy escalated and the resulting help desk person had our 70 year old, never owned a cell phone or computer guy move the two small servers to another office and got them plugged into network ports. Within 45 minutes our SCADA system was back up and running. Hurray!

However, the servers were the only thing that was moved. The UPS for both stayed behind. So the servers were plugged directly into the wall of a building with notoriously unreliable power and that is known to surge badly. And a week went by with no problems, and no one noticing the issue because the servers are still in a locked office.

Today a truck hit a power pole and blew a transformer. The lights flickered and all our SCADA systems crashed. I’m sent to make sure the servers are on and I’m greeted by the wonderful smell of burned and melted capacitors. Apparently a person has been woken up and told to drive here with new servers for us, and he should be here in another 5 hours. In the meantime we’ve been running around shutting stuff down manually until we can control it again. Fun times. This should make for a wonderful end of shift meeting.

:cripes:

What SCADA software do you run?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

fishmech posted:

There's really nothing wrong with having 98 exposed to the internet these days - almost no malware runs on it anymore. :v:

It's all about the 0days now :laffo:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

blackswordca posted:

Welp, looks like all the I's dotted and T's crossed. Giving notice Monday and starting at the new job two weeks later.

:yotj:

:yotj:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ugato posted:

It surprises me how that speech somehow becomes more true the older I get.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Haven't people heard of dymo labelmakers?! :cripes:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Geemer posted:

You joke, but they're still fixing all the European clocks that derive time from 50Hz AC instead of network or atomic clock.

All because of a country not providing power to the European grid for political reasons and that caused the frequency to dip ever so slightly, clocks ended up 6 minutes slow.
And now they're running the mains at slightly elevated frequency to let those clocks catch up again. :eng99:

This sounds super hosed up, got a source?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

dogstile posted:

Everyone in Europe laughs at UK internet

FTFY

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MisterOblivious posted:

"Kids are smart with computers they've had tech their whole lives!"

I feel that the generation that grew up with the evolution of computing from Amiga/DOS through the early versions of Windows have a leg up on both the generation before AND after. Growing up with tinkering to get poo poo to work builds skills that are harder to develop otherwise. Younger people who grew up with modern(ish) computers and smartphones seem less savvy.

Of course this is just my impression and I could we wildly wrong.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Nah. You literally cannot buy working wifi in consumer devices. It does not exist. Maybe for enterprise it's different but in practice it's noticeably flaky no matter the setup. It works fine most of the time, but that's not good enough. Reliable networks exist, even in consumer devices, but they use cables. At home, I have an Asus RT-AC68U. My desktop has essentially unbroken line of sight to it, and it's maybe five meters away. I run on the 5GHz band and there are pretty much no other SSID's visible on that band where I live. I usually only connect one device to the wifi at a time, and most of the time I can get 4-500 megabits/s, which is pretty much as good as you can reasonably expect. Under these close to ideal conditions though, wifi is still loving wifi. You get ping spikes, you get dropped packets, and I can only actually use my gigabit internet connection if I use it from my NAS (which is connected to the router with a cable). The wifi service in Windows has a long standing bug that makes it derp out every once in a while and start causing 1-2 second ping spikes every 30 seconds unless you turn off the wireless autoconfig service. At work where basically everyone connects via wifi and we do have enterprise AP's setup, it still doesn't work reliably and occasionally flakes out.

Wires work. They can be dozens of years old and still work. They're cheap. Why do people hate simple things that work well?

I have a similar problem with an Asus 5GHz card, generally works if I use the Asus driver and not the MS one, but ... still issues. This is like 3 meters from the router, with near line of sight.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Allegedly Allergic posted:

Woke up very early this morning to a torrent of alert messages regarding a European partner of ours.

drat near all of their sites were completely unreachable. Could get intermittent connectivity from the US, but from anything in their country, it was down.

After a lot of bullshit, turns out that the data center that provided DNS to their region had a gas leak and power was shut down to the building.

A $5 vps would have saved them from that...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

I tried working from my mom's place up north a couple of weeks ago. She's on satellite internet. Everything was fine when I was working in email, chat, etc. But as soon as I had to SSH into something I noped the gently caress out of there. 660ms *average* round-trip means typing is a nightmare. Decided to take a half day after fighting with it for about 10 minutes.

I used SSH over SATCOM for 3.5 years (navy service), only the weak give up, the rest of us become good at blind-typing without making errors :v:

Also have you heard of mosh?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

blackswordca posted:

An email came in

Vendor sent in a replacement production license for an app of ours that had a licensing bug on Monday. So I came in a 6am to apply it.

I applied the license but it didn't look right. They sent us a dev server license.

Thanks vendor.

How nice of them! :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's possible to rent a generator, you know...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Partycat posted:

You’re supposed to rent it before the outage not during it .

Batteries for a data center are expensive and running your UPS down like that is a good way to shorten the mean time between spending money on new ones.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A month's fare with NSB (Norwegian railways) from my home (about 70km from Oslo) to Oslo is £265 including local mass transit within zone 1 (all subway lines, most bus lines).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yes.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

spog posted:

poo poo job >> no job.

Not emptyquoting.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

nielsm posted:

This was also a bug in Windows NT 4, approximately 20 years ago.

Oh don't worry, someone will find the same bug in 20 years time, too :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Software engineers are some of the most computer illiterate people on the planet.

This is so true.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

pr0digal posted:

We're doing a server room move this weekend and we're now in the phase of "verify everything is up and do client cabling"

We talked the client down from doing four fibre runs per desktop to only two fibre runs per desktop. Yesterday we moved two racks worth of hardware, now it's a time to run a couple of hundred cables.

But on Monday I'll have an offer from a new company in hand :unsmith:

Fibre runs to desktop? What the gently caress?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

spankmeister posted:

In certain high-security environments it can also be a requirement for TEMPEST

Yeah, I've worked with that poo poo before, in the navy. All workstations were on fibre, and laptops needed a media converter with a very short ethernet cable.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

Kinda surprising they didn't just order the laptops with an SFP cage.

You can even get laptops with that? Pretty sure you couldn't back in 2005, heh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

guppy posted:

Rule one of dealing with project managers is to pretend they don't exist since you will be doing 100% of their job anyway.

That's the sad truth...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

null_pointer posted:

Just tried this. Now there are two processes, both eating huge chunks of CPU. gently caress me.

Ah, process whack-a-mole, always fun.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Why hate on dot matrix? They're reliable and pretty much foolproof.

I have an Oki microline 182 (iirc) somewhere that probably still works if I drop in a new ribbon...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The amount of mental gymnastics involved in the barefaced robbery of Joe Q. Public that is the american healthcare system is mindboggling.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Do any of you give users two power cords for laptops? We have some babies who demand two cords so they can have one at home at all times.

I have one in my bag, one in the docking and one at home? Adapters are cheap, heh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

It is only thanks to £95/hr that I'm happy to put up with emails like this:

I'd ask for more...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Advanced usage of WordPerfect was magic considering when it was made...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eep

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:drat:

I want those prices here :smith:

In phone-related news, I've apparently sent 260+ texts this month, heh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I got my first cell phone in 1987 (Carpack from Motorola) because I was in the Army and had more cash than sense.

God drat.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Oof. Don't remind me.

I started out with an old Motorola in '99, then a Nokia 3210...

I remember the old Ericsson phone too... Ugh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mehall posted:

Nah, gently caress that. Unless I'm specifically on call, I'm not reliably reachable. I mean, most of the time my boss could get me through personal channels, though we've not had a need for that yet, but if I'm not paid to work, I ain't at work. Remote or not.

My work phone goes on silent at 4:30 pm, and no one at work have my personal cell number. It's not listed anywhere either, so best of luck trying to get it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

One the most important lessons my father ever imparted to me was refusing to let anyone answer the phone or the door during meal times. Over the years we missed exactly 0 important messages.

We didn't have an answering machine in those days either.

This is a good lesson, shame it seems to have gone out the window for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've just got the joke of why it's called Route 53.

Yeah...

About that

TIL :downs: