Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Still waiting on that root access!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tailored Sauce posted:

I do all my shitposting in Production.

Same.

I still need that root access.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

3000 series is Ivy, 2000 is Sandy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dick Trauma posted:

I pushed out the Windows patch. May God have mercy on our souls.

Gods speed :patriot:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:justpost: the saga

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bitterandtwisted posted:

It's been a while since I've had a user who I dread seeing tickets from, but we've got a good one now. It's like tech-supporting my granny.
Today a colleague was troubleshooting why her built-in webcam was't working. After about an hour on a remotes session, he figured it out. The laptop lid was closed.

She's a department head for a science based company and can't be older than 40.

This is very common with doctors. They learn so much in their field how to do anything else slides right out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I did college radio. EAS was drilled into us (pun intended :haw:). The thing is most stations can't send out EAS warnings, the most they can do is send out weekly tests but that's it. Everything else originates elsewhere, almost always from the NWS in our case (the only thing that didn't was the monthly test, which came from another station).

e: actually, I think the monthly tests did come from the NWS. Don't recall exactly where, but we weren't the point of origin for them. We just did it whenever they came in.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 16, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:five:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As a code jockey who's had to deal with Oracle, gently caress it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:stonk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

larchesdanrew posted:

Apology never came, the new drama is that our state re-accreditation is here; well, it was here weeks ago but they haven't finished the paperwork yet. They apparently do this every ~5 years, I think, and there's an "accountability committee" that meets weekly to discuss and prepare everything for this accreditation. Of the 200+ reports that are included in this, one is apparently a technology plan. In the 2.5 years I've been working here, this has never once been mentioned to me. This report is being submitted this weekend.

Boss comes blasting into my office this morning ranting about how we're going to take a huge hit because I haven't submitted a technology plan, and demanding that I go back through all the documents that my predecessors left to see if any of them have a technology plan on file since 2011. All I can find is paperwork to start a technology plan committee in 2013 that never got completed.

So, now I'm apparently responsible for a plan that none of the three previous TCs did any work on and that was not mentioned to me until it was the day before they're submitting it.

Seriously, gently caress this place right to death. I can't wait to get out of here.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Antioch posted:

I'll probably lose my citizenship for this, but curling's not a real sport.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

drukqs posted:

have been in this industry since the late 90s and this is the first time I have seen this type of destruction on a usb port

general hogging-out, sure, but never seen that plastic thing cracked in half

It's the end result of making it return to 3D space. They are 4D objects after all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Real IT pros and devs test in prod.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Which reminds me.

I'm still waiting on root access for the production box.

Thanks and gods bless.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

suuma posted:

We have no QA and rolled out an update to a customer in Australia (we're east coast USA), so their poo poo was broken overnight and now we can't work with them to troubleshoot because we come in when they go home :v:

poo poo that works fine here doesn't work there so :iiam:

Timezones.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol holy gently caress. our Sr SysEng just accidentally deleted our NetApp's service account. Whoops.

LOL HOLY gently caress THEN HE DELETED ALL OF OUR SHARES. GODDAMNIT

:rip: everything.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/dmofengineering/status/989889526582493184?s=19

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I found something you guys might need:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

spankmeister posted:

That would be the pre-soak at the factory.

:golfclap:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/dmofengineering/status/999732156631924736?s=19

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A ticket came in:

We're not GDPR compliant, and we need more time!- ICANN.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/vmyths/status/1005213135353999361
https://twitter.com/vmyths/status/1005264927710437377

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Google drive :v:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GreenNight posted:

I went to a pre-sales meeting and we got a bill for the project managers time and a line item for the soda I drank. They were trying to sell us on a project. We did not go with them.

Still not as good as this invoice:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I ride my bike to my job (but I don't do any computer work at the moment). When you can bypass construction and ride off road, it's great!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:barf:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My best experience with ME was never having to use it :smug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

spog posted:

poo poo job >> no job.

Wibla posted:

Not emptyquoting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kaboobi posted:

posting in this thread for the first time in years about how dumb this job is sometimes

https://twitter.com/Kaboobi/status/1017456577715015680

I've been known to stick magnetic items on those things. The sensor is by the screen, thankfully, but the magnets are under my wrist.

Shameful snipe, so have this:

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 12, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Man, after that exchange I'd be going out of my way to look for plantext login info on everything I touched.

It's poo poo like this that made me glad I moved to using a password generator.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I loving hate capitalism.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hihifellow posted:

"I'm trying to change the default application for .txt and it's not staying after I logoff."

"What are you trying to change it to?"

"Excel"

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:wtc:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have a 2GB plan and I've managed to not hit my data limit once, even with spending three days over at Road America for a race. It's exactly what spog thinks.

(I download music on wifi instead of streaming on mobile, tend to avoid image heavy threads, etc)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

spog posted:

Needs more screens.

This, but unironically

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Or you could bike like I do. Bit more efficient

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Getting it updated requires a ticket to be filed. I'm a busy person, I don't have time to fill out tickets

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I still need you to fix my problem though

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D. Ebdrup posted:

I have received no ticket. Maybe you should check your network settings?

Here is my ticket

code:
Need root access to prod

Priority: maximum

I need root access to prod to do testing.  Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

monsterzero posted:

IT response:

Granted. :getin:

:golfclap: