Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

If I could get reliable high speed internet, I'd become a remote-working, mountain-man hermit so fast your head would spin.

Moatman posted:

That's always the hard part. I'd love to move into one of those old missile silos or an Alaskan log cabin or something but decent internet is just so hard to come by out there

I basically do this. It's fun for the first few months but after over 18 months it gets really, really lonely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I have a 27 inch screen 1440p screen and I hate it. Its way too big. My 24 inch screen is also 1080p which is dreadfully low res compared to my laptop's 19 or whatever inch screen at 1440p.

If I had two secondary screens that were 24 inch 1440p I'd be very happy.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
We spent more than twice the value of my house on bullshit machine learning blackbox ddos mitigation devices that I currently have in passive mode doing nothing because I don't trust them to not be invisibly loving up everything.

Buying these things were almost certainly the worst mistakes we made when building out a datacenter. We could have purchased 50gbps of bandwidth for 5 years for what we spent on these loving things.

Several times these things have caused horrible horrible impossible to troubleshoot cascading failures. For example, something goes wrong so logging spikes. The spike in logging triggers some ML horseshit to start invisibly dropping traffic to or from AWS (because thats where our logging services were hosted) because this spike of traffic is an anomaly. Same for DNS

What happens when logging traffic or DNS gets dropped? Obviously you send more to log the failure to log or request DNS again.

Never again.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 9, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Could you lower the sensitivity so it would take a disaster-level ddos to trigger action?

Or whitelist your cloud service IPs and DNS forwarders so it doesn't interfere with business traffic?

No*

tldr
A huge amount of our traffic is UDP and my WAN traffic is very asymmetric. There is zero way that I can enforce that traffic exits through the same ddos appliance that it enters. This means it is impossible for these things to have any meaningful view of what UDP traffic is actually doing, and TCP traffic insight is reduced. Also unless I whitelist all of amazon's blocks which is pretty close to removing the device from service entirely like I have right now, I can never guarantee that IPs are going to be within a given whitelist. DNS whitelisting isn't a thing. The way the thresholds are generated, if an IP suddenly moves it will almost certainly immediately be flagged as anomalous and almost certainly blocked until a human intervenes because log transmission is continous and will look like an attack.

Ultra simplified view

wan1 -> ddos1 -> network |
wan2 -> ddos2 -> network |

The real answer to ddos mitigation is don't even remotely try to do it yourself. Properly harden your nginx or haproxy instances to flush their connection tables as necessary to avoid the low hanging fruit. If anything volumetric happens, pray that you chose a provider that supports bgp community strings to blackhole traffic then use that and the source is something that is reasonable to blackhole, not the entirety of comcast or something. Anything more serious of a problem or larger scale than that, you need to do bigger things like have a geographically distributed presence and do fancy things with BGP any casting and using sacrificial sites

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 9, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

⌘/CTRL+L

Also if you're clicking in chrome it'll highlight it all for you anyway.

I have a persistent memory of selling a car and the guy typed google into his address bar which searched google for google, clicked it, then searched "yahoo", then clicked the result, then searched for the thing he was looking for. I was aghast.

ctrl t

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Honestly drawing unemployment doesn't sound like that bad of an alternative. If you're in a backwater low cost of living area. Look at doing some kind of wfh call center/ support work

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Malek posted:

In all seriousness, I would like to see this announcement

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/52345

Can't find the original Intel announcement, but here is VMware's

found it?

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/root-cause-of-reboot-issue-identified-updated-guidance-for-customers-and-partners/

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Kurieg posted:

While you're replacing equipment make an anarchy symbol out of old ram chips and hang it above your desk. Refuse to answer any questions about it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

GreenNight posted:

There is a new condo building across from the main office, and one of the new wifi networks broadcasting is called "sendnudes". Now HR is throwing a huge fuckoff fit telling us we need to block all equipment from seeing this SSID.

Build a giant faraday cage.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Tell the kids how to beat it: show you're not the real bad guy. SSH socks proxy (with appropriate SSH keys) on port 443 to a jump box in digital ocean and shove everything through that.

If DPI is a thing for some reason and all SSH traffic is being dropped still , then wrap everything in stunnel first.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 29, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Wtf, don't try to manually manage blacklists by IP. Use your firewall's content categories. https://fortiguard.com/webfilter/categories

You don't need SSL inspection to block by DNS. If the kids are using DNS over HTTPS, well then let them. That's definitely not in scope of CIPA

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I have a hard time believing a device bought in the last 5 years can't properly handle what you're asking of it.

But fine, you somehow do. Buy a used Fortigate 100d and FortiGuard license for like, 2000 dollars altogether on ebay and use that.

But fine you can't afford that. Then buy an off-lease piece of poo poo dell server on ebay for 350 dollars and put pfSense on it. Hell, buy two and put them in active-passive with VRRP.

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/SquidGuard_package
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Power...EsAAOSwH2VaMApE

Methanar fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 29, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

Had a long discussion with yet another member of the CEO's family, this time about an urgent need to set up email on our Exchange server for a domain they were going to use on a mass email. We talked about it both from a technical and marketing perspective and eventually came to an agreement on how things would be done and the timing of the changes. Adding a domain to the server and dishing out some aliases is not a big deal.

At the very end of the conversation I identified a serious problem. I expect you all can guess what it was.

You were on an email blacklist

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

(don't make a loop)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My work laptop was 3300 canadian dollars lol.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTyIUzsxt4U

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

fishmech posted:

A few years back I helped a certain video editing software/hardware company when they moved offices and discovered they had a shitload of high end parts and equipment around that was still very valuable but was not needed/useful for any of the hardware they currently built. In the process of helping them sell that stuff, we figured out they had easily several hundred thousand dollars across all this poo poo that simply hadn't been tracked and was laying around.

Some of it was even stuff from back when the company was founded, but was still quite valuable and interested buyers were easy to find for it. And none of it would have ever come back if they'd not moved out of their old office floor .

That's interesting because old computer equipment normally decays at about the same rate as bananas.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
We have so much spare crap floating around in our DC we began measuring it not by counting the units, but by weighing boxes.

At one point we like 40lb of SSD and 10lb of 8gb ram sticks. Also a hilarious amount of 10g sfp modules, and at least a few ridiculous copper 3 meter QSFP -> 4 SFP splitter things that you can't even use because it uses so much electricity it gets too hot for whatever its plugged into.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Antioch posted:

I have the opposite. Good pay, excellent benefits, and a complete poo poo sandwich of an environment.
Boss is a dickhead that second guesses and belittles everything. I got a dressing down for making a joke in a group chat - not even a bad joke, just a joke at all. It was "unprofessional" and showed I "wasn't taking things seriously". Even though I was actively fixing the issue.

Workplace hours are monitored to the point where I got asked where I went at 10am for 15 minutes (the shitter). YouTube is not blocked but God help you if anyone sees you watching it. I lost points in my review last year because someone saw something inappropriate on my screen. No other details. Just someone, something, don't do it again.

I keep applying elsewhere but no one wants me 😫

It's disappointing how barren Edmonton is. If I ever need to get a real job again I'm screwed.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 20, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I said real job

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Bob Morales posted:

Oh poo poo. Stuff is about to get exciting.

Just had a talk with HR. At 3:45 they are firing someone who is 'known to get verbal and or physical'. I can think of a couple people out in the production floor that would fit the description, but they all go home at 3:00, so it has to be someone from the office.

So here's the floor layout:

They are going to bring the person into the conference room to sit down and talk. At that point they want me to go out to the front desk (the IT office is right by the front desk), get the lady that sits out there, and bring her into the IT office and close the door. Then I have to make sure the mystery person doesn't 'escape' or something and walks straight out the front door after they fire him.

:munch:

I appreciate the diagram.

Please report back

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
It must be pretty embarrassing to get tackled by the IT guy of all people.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

And I got Grafana setup and everything using LDAP auth and this is all making me feel dangerously competent. Somebody embarrass me about basic IT knowledge, quick!

Tell me how you build docker containers through jenkins running on kubernetes without loving up absolutely everything because you're trying to run a docker commands inside of a docker container managed by a resource scheduler.

do not say bind /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What are you doing in production that isn't giving engineers a place to run their things.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
1523575690 or get the gently caress out

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Nerdrock posted:

Our extremely poor district comps up to $200 a year for classroom supplies. Maybe it's $250, I forget. Our area for as poor as it is, is quite fortunate. Our administration, according to my boss, are wizards with making budgets work. My wife is a teacher here. Conversely, her good friend is a teacher about 2 hours north of us in a big city, and hasn't gotten a raise in 10 years. Even in the same state, education is varies tremendously in how stuff like that is handled.

We get grants out the rear end for technology in the classroom, but sadly never budgeted for additional staff to support all the technology. So our IT department is stretched very thin. STOP WITH ALL THE HARDWARE MONIES AND JUST BUY US JAMF GODDAMNIT.

If you haven't gotten a raise in 10 years, you've been given a 15% pay cut. Given the average inflation over the last 10 years of about 1.6%

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

vas0line posted:

PDFChat

Sales Guy: “I cannot add pages or make edits to this PDF because it is protected with a password. I need to make these changes in the next hour or I may lose a big sale. Can you help me remove the password?”
Me: “What is this document, and who created it?”
Sales Guy: “It is a client contract that was created by Legal.”
Me: *closes ticket as will not fix; keeps job, stays out of court.*

reply To
CC: legal
Salesdrone #23 is trying to modify legal documents and doesn't have the password. Please do the needful.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

AlexDeGruven posted:

New product being POC'd (not by me)in our environment.

VM requirements: 24c, 96gb RAM, 4TB thick-provisioned disk.

Ok. Seriously. Just gently caress off and say it needs a dedicated server.

Tell them how vCPU co-scheduling works.

Don't try to give a VM more than like 8 cores at a maximum ever. If it needs more than 8, it needs to be a dedicated piece of hardware.
Also unless there is a licensing concern, give things 8 vCPUs each with 1 core and not 8 vCores on one vCPU.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

Tell that to the 50 runs of structured cable I need to punch down and keystone :(

How much is your time worth relative to buying 50 premade cables of standard length off monoprice

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Super Soaker Party! posted:

?

JB's talking about his new house, and punching down infrastructure cables to patch panels. Are you seriously suggesting he run premade patch cables through walls and direct connect to computers on one end and his switch on the other? Just because it's a house doesn't mean you have to treat it like rocks and trash you need to sweep up.

A bit rude.

I missed the part about it being for a house and assumed it was making custom length cables for a DC. I'd still suggest using these types of keystone in your wall plates and premade cables rather than doing it yourself. It's likely the same price in the end after buying a good crimping tool. https://www.amazon.com/VICTEK-Femal...n%3A15562490011

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

I heard this sound in 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp47x1EabqI

God help me this is interesting. Bringing me back to my electronics 101 class where the instructor was a straight up phreaker in his younger days and had a huge hard on for analogue modems and encoding schemes.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 31, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
The internet is on fire right now btw.

Just spent the last hour trying to fiddle with BGP to reroute out stuff but lol level 3 transit is loving everywhere.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

blackswordca posted:

As someone who used transit for a decade and a half its also limiting. Ive had good opportunities I had to turn down because I didn't drive. Plus the amount of wasted time. 30 min drive vs 2 hour bus ride each way for one job. Winter is also a killer. Standing at a bus stop in -35 plus wind chill sucks. The added expense of a car does suck, but unless your city is built around public transit then it's always going to be the most inconvenient choice.

lol what how do you live without a car in edmonton.

The LRT exists only to make driving worse. See: Princess elizabeth infront of nait.
I guess its okay if you're a student going to U of A

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 10, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

I’ve been online for too long, so my default state was to assume adult diaper fetish.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
How well does rotational media work in zero G?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Garrand posted:

Started a job as Tier 2 support for a place that supplies internet to those apartments on college campuses that have the internet bundled in with them (amongst other places). Boy I used to hate "Gamers" but now I just really loving hate gamers. Regular calls about the nebulous "lag", slow speeds and dropped packets that suddenly all go away when I actually have them run speed tests and poo poo. I literally went through every link from this one dude's apartment to where our network ends and found nothing but all I get is "it's obviously your network's fault".

It also sucks because I'm new to this so I'm also second guessing every decision I make which just makes it all the worse.

Don't do any normal web speed tests. Make them UDP iperf3 to hurricane electric's server, there won't be any throttling of icmp/preferential treatment of speedtest.net.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What volume of ICMP traffic could possible by present that warrants qos

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

As far as deprioritizing, they’re probably tired of a not insignificant amount of traffic generated by gamers and games themselves with “latency meters” that are running all the time.

Blocking ICMP is used to make network reconnaissance more difficult. It’s not always that effective at that, but it does help agains low-effort script runners. It also stops traffic external from their networks which also helps in reducing resource consumption.

I’m not saying the bulk of traffic is ICMP traffic, but it’s also not flying under the radar in terms of usage either.

I was under the impression that any sort of embedded game latency count is going to be application level udp, not icmp.

Like I guess ICMP is an amplification vector but I'm still curious what actual percentage icmp reponses, or unreachables could possible represent. Are we talking 0.1% per 100gbps? 3%?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
If you really want to make noise, don't waste your time calling your ISP's general support.

Find contacts thats are listed as being administratively responsible for the ASN and send them an email.

Although you should probably have something more substantiated than a traceroute copy/paste to show them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I love Wikipedia's dry humor