Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Bigass Moth posted:

Just save all your new threads as AAAAAAAAnewthread.txt so they go to the top.

I store my old threads in the recycling bin like a normal human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

If I could get reliable high speed internet, I'd become a remote-working, mountain-man hermit so fast your head would spin.

That's always the hard part. I'd love to move into one of those old missile silos or an Alaskan log cabin or something but decent internet is just so hard to come by out there

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Somehow people constantly manage to put a “Mc” in front of my last name, even when reading it off of a paper. My last name starts with a K, so it isn’t like they’re misreading the start.
It doesn’t really bother me, it’s just baffling.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

What the blue gently caress? Are they trying to electrocute someone?

I think that's a April Fools' joke, but I'm not 100% sure because it's IT twitter.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Alright, which one of you is this
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/bkbdnq/security_crisis_company_owner_wants_all_passwords/

quote:

Greetings everyone and thank you in advance for any advice/suggestions

I have a dilemma I am trying to correct.

I just got out of a meeting with my boss. The subject of the meeting was 'passwords and why do we need them'. This was an impromptu meeting. I went into security and how it allows people to keep financial records safe, our database, and a number of other items. We have finance, sales, marketing, purchasing, everything in house.
He goes on to say having passwords is a hassle because he cannot just open any person's computer and look at their stuff. He wants to be able to just open computers at night.
I brought up local security. "if he can, so can anyone else"
His response was that there are people around all the time, someone would see that bad actor on the wrong computer.
I tried to explain we need to keep financial records and sales data secured. He doubled down on no one internally would do such a thing.
He then goes on to say that if a hacker got into our network a server password wouldn't hold the hacker from getting our files.

His other reason for doing this is if a person is out for a day or a week someone may need to fill in for them and get files off that person's PC. I insisted the IT department could change their password within minutes, but he said that as not good enough, it "was a hassle".

What can I do to satisfy him and keep my integrity as an IT manager? I cannot allow this to happen. I will quit before I do such a detrimental thing to the company's data and security.

My current thoughts are to find a way to satisfy his voyeurism and get screen monitoring software or some variation of RDP, UltraVNC, ScreenConnect, etc. But all of these alert the user he is connected.

Does anyone have a way I can get out of this without resorting to everyone having the same password?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

I did it on my phone so I didn’t actually experience the scrolling, what did it change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Darchangel posted:

I don't need it - I have an N95 dust mask with replaceable filters I bought for mowing and woodworking I bought before "these uncertain times" - but I'm buying that, just because.

Cut holes for the filter mounts and wear it as a mask for your mask