Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

In four years I'll hopefully be employed somewhere I don't hate and no longer be consigned to the realm wherein sketchy headhunters try to recruit me for lovely jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

that second half is just dreaming

Alas. I'd settle for having a job I don't hate.

Proteus Jones posted:

If I could get reliable high speed internet, I'd become a remote-working, mountain-man hermit so fast your head would spin.

:same:

Also, a user let me know this thread is a bit slow - did we deploy to the cloud as planned or did someone talk the team into self-hosting again?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Inkjets are the absolute worst. For most people, who don't print a lot, a simple B&W laserjet will last them ages before the starting toner cartridge gets low.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Inspector_666 posted:

I've told my parents that I will only help them with printer problems so long as they don't buy cheap poo poo inkjet MFPs. It's kept them in line, they have a Brother multifunction that Just Works™.

I did the same and convinced my parents to ditch both of their old, janky inkjet MFPs for a single Brother laserjet MFP hooked up to the network.

movax posted:

It's "hilariously complex electromechanical device" meets "make as cheap as possible". Fast, good, cheap...pick 0.5 of those 3 for printers.

That said, for home, the Brother lasers are kick-rear end. I have one of those and a HP LaserJet 4100 that's stopped working with Windows 10 now.

Brother lasers are the only brand I'd actually recommend to anyone.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sirotan posted:

^^You might have been using a postscript driver, when you needed PCL. Or maybe the other way around. I think...

I used to do the same, but pretty much all the Brothers I bought at my previous job turned out to be utter garbage. The HL-L5470's and HL-L6200's will consume their fusers within 3000-5000 prints.I went back to buying HPs.

Also, my dude, what the hell is in your avatar?

I honestly have no idea, I made some nerd mad in the EVE thread calling out his lame-rear end catchphrase (see: redtext) and he subsequently raged so hard he ate a probation, then bought the redtext + avatar. I assume it was an attempt to make me rage out but I made him spend money so I won.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Nthing the Brother Laserjet supremacy. Got tired of the cheap inkshit printers that I only used once a year or so for whatever luddite that doesn't take a scanned email always needing replacement ink or just having spontaneously shat themselves from disuse.

Inkjets are basically designed so that if you don't use them constantly the ink dries up and lol whoops gotta buy more ink at $50 in each color haha you just spent more on ink than you did on the print.

gently caress inkjets.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GreenNight posted:

Those of you with Dell laptops, ever seen an issue where the trackpad/mouse freezes every 5 seconds for a second or two constantly? Working on a laptop with that issue and I can't figure it out. Tried a new hard drive, formatted. In Windows 10.

I have a fix for this! The TL;DR is the Windows PTP drivers are poo poo and every time you touch the pad, they wait for you to make a gesture. You can replace them with the Synaptics drivers and the problem disappears.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

at a certain point I don't understand why enterprises don't use password managers.

The one we use in my company is literally free aghhhhhh

E: I know that the answer is "lol government IT" but still

Inspector_666 posted:

The answer is "It's too complicated I can't learn all of this computer stuff!"

It's 40% each of these and 20% not trusting anything that hasn't been summarily folded, spindled, and mutilated to fit their security requirements. It's like the (short-lived) attempt I made to put all documentation for a gov't program in CA onto an internal limited-access wiki which was shut down with a "MS Word docs in Sharepoint is good enough".

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

You poor bastard. I feel for you, that's a gigantic barrel of poo poo that your boss and coworkers seem determined to cram you into. I'm not sure if I recall correctly but saying "gently caress this, :yotj:" isn't an option for you either?

E: Reading rest of thread, yeah, poo poo - I understand not wanting to move away for the sake of your kids but on the other hand it doesn't do them much good if you lose your poo poo or, god forbid, off yourself. Throw your boss under the bus as needed. Make sure you send him an email itemizing the poo poo you have on your plate and the number of hours each takes, just for CYA purposes and as potential fodder for a hostile workplace suit. Stuff like that is going to save your rear end here, even if your boss ignores it. You'll be able to point to it as proof you were being mistreated and hosed with.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 22, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

larchesdanrew posted:

A network outage came in.

Our server room was basically an oven after the AC went out. I spent the whole morning attempting to get some sort of ventilation going with box fans while attempting to bring everything back up.

Also, almost all students are having issues with the web filter because they're all trying to use VPNs to circumvent the loving thing. Once the VPNs are gone, everything works like magic. loving interesting, that.

Do you have any form of logging to prove that? If so - write that poo poo up and send it to directorman every single time students bitch about their poo poo not working. Prove it's not you, it's them, and if they'd stop loving with things they don't understand everything would be fine.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

larchesdanrew posted:

I just found out that despite the recent budget cuts we have received, director sought a pay increase from the state. This request was denied and suddenly he's all about combining, cutting, and downgrading positions.

HMMM

Gee, that's awful convenient.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Renegret posted:

gonna e/n for a second here but honestly my biggest obstacle is job rejection fatigue.

Maybe I suck at interviews, perhaps I'm just a lovely human being and don't realize it, but I'm just tired of being rejected all the time. Every interview I've had for the past 2 years ended up in a rejection, even the ones that I didn't really want that much. I'm stuck in that catch 22 of needing experience to get a job that will get me the experience.

I know this feel. It's a familiar feel. It sucks.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

We also did Benghazi :(

RIP Vile Rat.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Samizdata posted:

Core 2 Quad and 8Gb here. Works well enough, and I can play Overwatch and Destiny 2 quite playably...

C2Qs are still solid workhorses. C2Ds...not so much.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season 2 gets hilariously terrible, because you can always see the exact moment in each episode they write themselves into a corner and contrive bullshit for a solution.

Writing themselves into a corner with technology and contriving bullshit solutions is why I stopped watching NCIS. I don't remember the exact episode but it was egregiously bad.

E: gently caress everything ever about Big Bang Theory and its stupid goddamn spinoff. Sheldon is a loving prick and his "friends" are all shitheads.

Mr. Robot is goddamn amazing though and actually has real hacking aka Elliot being a sneaky fucker and socially engineering his way into Iron Mountain to hook up a RAT.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 16, 2018

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

JackOfferman posted:

I'm trying my best. I got my resume out there, my linkedin fully updated and all that jazz. I am hoping to YOTJ, but right now there is a lot of help desk jobs that people would rather fill. There is some system engineer positions open at Amazon I could apply to. I think as long as I am not a warehouse worker I might not be worked to death?

As long as you're not an actual warehouse grunt you'll probably be fine. Doing tech support for the warehouse grunts probably isn't great either, but at least you're not one of those poor fuckers.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Get out, larches. GET OUT.

:frogout:

There is a reason that your predecessors departed, and that reason is your boss.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm TRYING. I've sent off a ton of applications to various places, but haven't heard back from anywhere yet.

Morale is low.

Alcohol intake is rising.

I believe you. Hang in there but leave if you have to. Your sanity > dickhead boss.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Panthrax posted:

Reminds me of my field ops guy who pulled the wrong hard drive out of my SAN. You know, the one that I said "pull drive 11, the one at the bottom right corner" and he pulled 10. His response? "Oh, sorry, I heard one time that PC equipment you start counting at 1 instead of 0. Guess I should have asked first." You know, or looked at the little loving picture that tells you what each drive number is.

Javid posted:

Are the drives not labeled? That seems like a basic yet vital step to take, there.

Emphasis mine, but I'd say yes, the drives were labeled.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

Our PR guy had a nervous breakdown and specifically cites the director as the cause.

After nearly 3 years I have finally completed the card access project.

:siren:The Director is about two weeks away from accepting a position as superintendent in another city:siren:

He has become unbearable and his most likely replacement is the nicest guy I have ever met.

I have been offered a job as technology director for the engineering school at a college. It pays $20k more than I make here with regular raises and bonuses. Word is that it’s extremely laid back and they have more money than they know how to spend. I’ll also have employees again :allears:

Things are shaping up nicely.

Take that job offer and run. New bossman might be nice, but :yotj: for $20k more and not being the sole man upon which rely all things is nothing to sneeze at.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Che Delilas posted:

Let's be real: the best plan, the one that would effect the most change by a mile, would be "fire this abusive illiterate shitstain of a director and get a professional in here."

isn't that the same director who is supposed to have an incoming promotion?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ilkhan posted:

My home computer, but its a head scratcher so wtf.

Home built machine
Asus Z97M-Plus
Windows 10

SATA port 1: 850 Pro 250GB
SATA port 2: random 1TB spinner
m.2: Brand new WD Black 250GB

Computer works fine on the existing OS (850 pro). I unplugged both existing drives, plugged in the new m.2, booted off USB and installed windows 10, exactly like normal.

Reboot.
Load back to the installer.
ok, its booting the flash drive again.
Unplug flash drive, reboot.
Loads to the loving UEFI.
uhhh.
Select and tell it to boot the m.2. Runs through POST, loads the UEFI again.
Select and tell it to boot the m.2. Runs through POST, loads the UEFI again.
umm, wtf?
Plug old drives back in, loads old copy of windows fine.

WTF am I missing? The flash was UEFI and it showed UEFI in the boot option when I selected it. Secure boot is on, but with a fresh install and no other drives involved it should boot to the new OS, right? The goal here is to load the old SSD with linux, but continue using it until the new copy of windows is up to speed.

Z97 is the first set of boards with support for NVMe M.2 so it's possible your BIOS is out of date and/or somehow doesn't quite support NVMe. I don't think you can expect rock-solid NVMe support until Z...270? Whatever the next set of Z-series chipsets were after Z97.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

So, on the advice of neogeo, posting here. I'm currently looking for work in IT, but at 26 haven't had much luck even with some (~2 years) of helldesk experience. I'm currently going to school for an AS in Systems Administration, but have no certs yet because I have basically no money with which to pay for the test. I can only afford school because of Pell Grants. Hell, I don't even know which certs I should go for.

I feel like I'm on the edge of being a goon in a well - despite being willing to learn and work my way up, I can't even get my foot in the loving door.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

dragonshardz posted:

So, on the advice of neogeo, posting here. I'm currently looking for work in IT, but at 26 haven't had much luck even with some (~2 years) of helldesk experience. I'm currently going to school for an AS in Systems Administration, but have no certs yet because I have basically no money with which to pay for the test. I can only afford school because of Pell Grants. Hell, I don't even know which certs I should go for.

I feel like I'm on the edge of being a goon in a well - despite being willing to learn and work my way up, I can't even get my foot in the loving door.

I should elaborate that I'm looking more for general directional advice than specific career advice. How the gently caress do you get HR flacks to do more than toss your resume unread, for example?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I feel like it came from here, but somebody said applying for jobs is just as much luck as it is actually fitting the role they are looking for. Sort of like online dating. You sent out a bunch of resumes just hoping some of them stick so you can go meet them and see what they're all about.

That probably ruined the whole delivery, but basically keep your head up. There's gotta be something out there you can sink your teeth into; though we do have a few people who live in pretty dry markets.

Keeping my head up is hard as gently caress. Going into year 2 of being unemployed save for a short stint at the local TRU during the holiday crush, nothing else otherwise. Probably part of why I'm getting ignored?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Honestly it's not been a major problem in my life, though I assume that's not because I'm some special supercoder.

I'm in a pretty good sellers' market right now and getting a new job (assuming I don't go back to an old client) looks something like this:
1. Approx 2-4 weeks of combing every job aggregator every day and applying to every job that looks decent, maybe 30 total
2. Of those 30 I have an introductory chat with maybe 15, mostly worthless agency recruiters
3. Of those 15 I interview with 6 or 7.
4. Of those 6 or 7 I'll get 4 offers, reject 2 because of red flags in and around the interview, and pick between the last 2.

Wow, you get offers interviews the time of day from HR? :swoon: Teach me your secrets!

blackswordca posted:

It depends on area, but here knowing somebody seems to be the only way to get an interview if you aren't a walking tech deity willing to work for half the going rate.

So it seems. Any suggestions on how to know somebody when you're a loving poor?

Arquinsiel posted:

Keywords. A lot of early HR filtering is done automatically, so edit your resume so that your phrasing includes the keywords you're reading from the spec. Don't lie, just make sure you#re matching how you talk about your history to the history they want. I have heard of people including the entire job spec in white text at the end to try game this, but I have no idea how well that'd work and if you get rumbled it won't look good.

Then poo poo out all the applications you can and get lucky :shrug:

I have tried doing keyword jiggery and it seems to do about as much as as not bothering so far. I have a base resume I edit for specific stuff and it gets a keyword hit from sketchy headhunter firms every so often.

Luck seems to be where it all falls apart for me.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

I have solaris experience, Linux(RHEL family and, to a lesser degree, debian family and SUSE), and when placed in front of an AIX aptitude test was able to score the highest the recruiter had ever seen despite never having worked with it.

If you know one UNIX, the rest seem to be pretty easy since the basic concepts are the same.

Barring any fucky syntax changes (I'm looking at you, HPux!)

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Javid posted:

Crimpin' ain't easy.

:perfect:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is everyone else's monday going?

Part 1: Here are these 30+ different forms and policies you need to read and sign by EoD.

Part 2: OK, now sit through the mandatory harassment, workplace violence, defensive driving, and infosec training courses each lasting two hours.

Bright side is :yotj:, downside is I'm still gonna be broke as gently caress until the end of the month.

Agrikk posted:

Do not be afraid to say, “I don’t know. Having said that, do you mind if I take a guess at the answer?”

Do not try to bullshit your way through an answer. The interviewer will pick up on it and you are done. Instead show that you are confident in yourself enough to admit to ignorance and show character and enthusiasm by taking a swing at it anyway.

This is good advice for any interview and I think may have been the deciding factor for me at new workplace. I knew what my interview questions were as well and had time to prepare answers, and admitted ignorance/unfamiliarity/inexperience as appropriate.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A ticket came in at my new job. I'm tasked with applying AV, Java, and Windows updates to our on-hand stock of loaner laptops. This is fine, it's something to accomplish through the day alongside handling uninteresting tickets.

It doesn't get interesting until the fifth of six - instead of POSTing, then prompting me for a drive encryption password, I'm greeted with a black screen, the CapsLock and NumLock lights flashing repetitively, and the fans at max. Okay. Google symptoms, appears to be a mild case of "the BIOS is hosed."

I start working on attempting to repair the BIOS. Method one - booting the machine with a button combo held down to jump into recovery mode for the BIOS - doesn't work. So on to method 2 - grab the serial number to get files from the manufacturer to make a flash drive that might let me repair the BIOS. Serial number's not on the bottom of the laptop, so might be inside.

I pop it open and...wait a moment. The RAM is missing. So is the HDD. The gently caress?

Check the ticketing system. Only two records for this machine - one from 2017 and another from 2016, in both cases the machine was being handed out as a loaner machine.

It's time to talk to asset management. The machine's apparently still listed as active in the management database - that is, we haven't decommissioned it. So, sometime between when the last user returned it and today, the HDD and RAM walked off and this was never recorded anywhere. The machine's not in AD, nor in the AV management server, so we have no idea when it was last used.

There's no conclusion to this yet. It's a mystery - who would bother stealing the HDD and RAM of a base model Probook 6560b? If it wasn't stolen, what happened to the HDD and RAM?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Have you considered that the last person to borrow it took the parts? Some places don't always make sure the equipment is alive when taking stuff back (ask me about the time a MacBook return actually contained a very old MacBook that didn't work meticulously wrapped in the cellophane). Cash of course, back before BBY required ID for all returns, so the store just had to eat it.

It's entirely possible! Winkling that out isn't my job, though - I don't have the tools or experience to do so.

mllaneza posted:

In this situation, pulling the CMOS/RTC battery should be in your troubleshooting repertoire. That forces the BIOS settings back to factory and might get it POSTing again. I did that last week for a machine with severely corrupt UEFI settings, I couldn't get into BIOS to reset them manually, so brute force to the rescue again !

However, the first thing you do when you see a regular pattern of blinking lights on a machine that won't POST is to look up the manufacturer's blink codes. For example, an HP with missing or bad RAM would be flashing the power button and the caps lock light three times, pausing, then repeating. One blink is the CPU, saw that Monday in a coffee spill case.

It certainly is, and was going to be my next port of call if the BIOS recovery drive didn't work. However, "mysteriously missing hardware" is a bigger problem than a turbofucked BIOS.

I'll have to hunt up a list of HP blink codes - we're an entirely HP shop (don't ask me why, I have no clue) so it's probably handy reference material.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GreenNight posted:

100% HP isn’t bad. It’s good to standardize.

It is! The reason HP was chosen is not known to me, and probably doesn't matter in the long run.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

It was probably blinking because it didn't have any RAM. Pop some DIMMs in there and I bet it takes you right to the 'no bootable device' screen.

Sounds as likely as anything else. We don't have spare DIMMs to throw in there and while fixing a hosed BIOS is within my job description, caring about why/how parts mysteriously disappeared is not. That is why the case of the missing parts is Asset Management's problem now, instead of mine.

spankmeister posted:

Yeah, or just write it off and stop worrying about it.

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, it's a 2011 model. E-waste it.

Exactly. I wager that once the AM guys figure out where the gently caress the HDD/RAM went, we'll E-waste it. We don't have parts on hand to replace the missing poo poo and we're not so ungodly strapped for money that we have to keep this old hardware running.

We have a stack of 6550bs that, since there is no patch for Spectre/Meltdown for them and they are vulnerable, are going to get similarly decommissioned and recycled.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Heran Bago posted:

Hand it off to your boss or security officer maybe? It has become 'a security issue" what with potential company or personal info.

Already handed off to the people whose job it is to look into these things - AKA, not me!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

An email came in asking if a ticket had been created to deal with this user's request. Knowing that the ticketing system sends an email to the user when a ticket is created, I dutifully check to make sure the ball was not dropped.

I discover a ticket was, in fact, made, and email the user stating so as well as advising the ticketing system sends them an email with the ticket number and topic when the ticket is created. For tickets created via email, the topic is always the subject line of the email the user sent in.

The user responds that it takes too much time to look in their inbox for the incoming ticket notification and read it.

Never before have I more desired the invention of Smack Over IP than this moment. I advise the user idiot it's probably less time consuming to look for the ticket creation email in his inbox than to email the service desk asking if a ticket was made and wait for us to search the ticketing system, then reply.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

Not just xboxes; dealing with ~*~minecraft server admins~*~ at $OLD_JOB made me hate the game so much by association that I still can't play it without getting mad.

For what little it may be worth, being a Minecraft server runner is a thankless task further complicated by the god-awful language which is Java.

Renegret posted:

at this point, it comes up so often that our network team has a script they put in tickets that very nicely says

HIGH LATENCY IN TRACEROUTES DOES NOT MEAN LATENCY IN YOUR CONNECTION

PROVIDERS, INCLUDING OURSELVES, DEPRIORITIZE OR STRAIGHT UP BLOCK ICMP

RUN A SPEED TEST

Why do ISPs deprioritize/block ICMP? Security concerns?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

gently caress inkjets. Why? I'll tell you why.

I installed a printer a couple weeks ago, it's an inkjet but it's okay because it gets used often enough to probably not die of ~~clogged nozzles~~. Today, one of the users emails service desk for help. It's "printing funny".

I go down and run a quick test page off, nothing seems amiss. I take a look at the printout which is noted as an issue. This printout is a copy of a check, and it takes a moment to figure out WTF is even wrong. The check is in the lower 1/3rd of the page, and about 2" in from the right edge is where the check amount sits. Any amount that is 1,000 or more prints out as "100 .00", whereas amounts less than that print out fine.

So, okay, weird, but I can at least try to figure out why. I run some of the basic diagnostic poo poo which are my only tools because inkjet. Issue persists.

I make a test file in both DOCX and PDF with the lower third of the page a solid black box. Prints with no issues.

I check the PDFs scanned in today, there's no white space inserted in them where the ones place in the check amount should be. I print a couple scanned PDFs and test file to another printer, no issues.

Every user who prints this specific scanned PDF layout for amounts with 4 or more digits preceding the decimal point has the ones place whited out. Any other document, of any format, from any of the five users who have the printer added to their machine, prints fine.

:psyboom:

In the end, I admitted defeat because I had six other plates to juggle and it's easier to just call HP's warranty service techs in to come gently caress with the drat thing.

gently caress inkjets, though. The only valid way of dealing with them is a shotgun, a sledgehammer, and retirement with prejudice. And a replacement which is at least a laserjet.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Aunt Beth posted:

This feels like a PS/PCL meets drivers issue.

Might be. Might not be. Either way it's my weekend and I don't have to worry about it until Monday.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Today, a domain policy applied to the Phase 1 patch testing group in AD somehow ended up turning off the local SYSTEM's ability to do things like "turn on the DHCP service" and "start the Windows/Office licensing services". For people both within and not within that group.

I'm not sure how this happened, but being on the service desk, I had to be the one to tell people that no, Office is broken for more than just you and no, we don't have a fix or an ETA.

Last week, someone somehow got assigned a group for a completely different division which made them see a bunch of completely empty mapped drives instead of their own.

Also last week, the domain admins added distribution groups to printer security groups for a new site and I was the one to figure out that that doesn't work, which is why the users weren't seeing the printers.

I think I know why people jump ship from the department's IT staff given the slightest opportunity to go elsewhere.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

No, we love laserjets, because they're reliable and don't break if you let them go unused for a week.

Inkjets can burn and die.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Inspector_666 posted:

Wish you weren't so fuckin bad at posting bud.

Whoa now, pump the brakes on that.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SeaborneClink posted:

So a couple of users come up the hall yesterday

Had a bit of trouble at the helpdesk yesterday...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A ticket came in. "Setup Dual Monitors for $User". Directly assigned to me by another Service Desk tech. All right then, no big deal, even though $othertech has a bad habit of assigning poo poo to me with no notification or enough information in the ticket.

Open the ticket and check the ticket details. "Setup Dual Monitors for $user". A completed task from $othertech with 10 minutes on it. God. Damnit. $othertech.

So I email $othertech, "Hey, do you have more information on this ticket? Do they already have a monitor they need set up, do they need us to provide them a monitor, did a purchase order for monitors go through and they need to be deployed?"

$othertech responds, "They have their own monitor. They need help setting up a second to dual monitor. Please feel free to contact the user for more details; the ticket has requested information." I check the ticket - ain't poo poo up ins. Nothing has changed.

:mad:

I reply to $othertech, and CC $supervisor, "Who has the monitor that needs to be set up? I should not need to track down $user and ask them to fill me in on what they need when they have already contacted us with that information."

$othertech responds, "They want to have $user helped to setups their second monitor as dual. Contact $user directly for more details, if you're confused and need more info - that's why we have email/phone available for all staff to communicate."

Before I can reply and ask why the gently caress $othertech is being such a lazy poo poo and refusing to provide me the information I need to do the work, $supervisor chimes in:

quote:

I reviewed the ticket and it needs more information. "Setup Dual Monitor for $user" is a short description suitable for the ticket title, but the ticket details should explain what the user actually asked for or the problem they're encountering. We should not be telling other staff to contact the customer for more information; all the information required to complete the requested work should be in the ticket. It is the Service Desk's job to get all of the necessary information from the customer and add it to the ticket when handling a call/email.

If the customer has an additional monitor that needs to be configured, that information should be noted in the ticket. If they are asking to have an unused monitor set up for use as a second monitor, that information should be included. We need to have detailed information in the ticket; it is not good customer service for someone to contact us, tell us what they want, and then have one of our own staff not know what they asked for.

If it means spending a little more time documenting what a customer needs, do that.

:boom: