Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So the 4 series is getting hit hard according to early reports? Fuuuuuuuck, I just gave my wife my old Haswell desktop. She is going to be pissed when it suddenly slows down a ton.

I guess it’s still time to just sit and wait and see how bad it is.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2

Initial benchmarks on linux kernel changes.

Desktop performance is likely to be minimally impacted. They specifically call out game performance is being mostly unaffected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Don’t forget that these exploits also apply to workstations, and there is a PoC that demonstrates harvesting passwords in Firefox.

E: beaten

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A ticket came in...

The licenses have expired. 1/7/2018.

I've been HOUNDING 4 different departments since November about the fact that they need to renew their Adobe CC subscriptions.
Not a single loving response to any of it.

The licenses expired on sunday and today has been an absolute shitstorm of "OH MY GOD MY PHOTOSHOP. I CAN'T WORK!"

Good. gently caress you.

My Adobe CC renewal was in August. I didn't ask anyone anything. I generated a report that broke out each subscription by department/user and sent it to our AP department. About a week later I got a notification that it was paid.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Are you not on CC Teams?

For us, it's just one PO for every subscription, AP gets each departments billing code after I send the report that breaks out who uses what, and we cut a check.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't lock your computer.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I know, but with the instructions as read, I just imagine a ton of people hitting the three finger salute and walking away without even looking at the options that come up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not knowing how to quickly highlight your address bar in a web browser is a fire-able offense in these parts.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Whatever, that's adorable.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CTRL-L

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Is there some reason you didn’t say PhD?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If more people did that we'd definitely have fewer malware problems in the world.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Jabra 9400-series is the same:

https://www.jabra.com/business/office-headsets/jabra-pro-9400

Similar features, similar price point.

Have a couple of them in the office here and haven't had any complaints.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Link?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Malek posted:

In all seriousness, I would like to see this announcement

I did some looking and this was the closest I've found an official announcement from Intel.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/root-cause-of-reboot-issue-identified-updated-guidance-for-customers-and-partners/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I don't think public schools regularly have dorms, directors, and multi-building campuses.

This is not the norm, but I know of some public schools that serve rural areas that provide dorms because the kids would otherwise be travelling 100 miles each way every day.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Set that bar high.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: Wait, we are both Grimey Drawers. That changes everything!

wtf is that anyway

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kurieg posted:

While you're replacing equipment make a wreath out of old ram chips and hang it above your desk. Refuse to answer any questions about it. Make up stories about an IT Loa.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Samizdata posted:

Sure. As long as you realize there is a restocking fee of 50% of the printer price....

At $oldJob we had a medical supply store as a client. They had a sign at their front desk/registers that said "Any returns may have a restocking fee of 30%-100%"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

good job encouraging bad behavior boss man

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A corporate restructuring came in:

My boss (IT Director) no longer reports to the CEO and now reports to the VP of Marketing and Communication

Apparently she was just as confused when the announcement came down as we were and promises to take a hands off approach to our department.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Now, he doesn't mean iMessage, I'm sure. Is there a non-crap free texting software? I'm assuming not.

Most cell phone providers have an e-mail to sms gateway service.

For example, ATT has @txt.att.net and @mms.att.net

Where you could email 1235551234@mms.att.net and the cell phone number would receive the message as a text.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Farking Bastage posted:

Yeah Verizon’s is @vtext.com. Or at least it used to be

Still is

Sibling of TB posted:

Holy poo poo! That's dangerous knowledge.

You'd think that, but cell companies have had this service for nearly as long as there have been text messages, and I've never heard of a case of serious abuse.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kensei posted:

Anyone have any experience with Nintex and O365 Sharepoint? Apparently this is a new project for us and me!

My experience is getting a quote from them and my boss saying they're too expensive.

He wasn't wrong, their product does way more than what we needed.

Are you trying to accomplish a specific task, or just have a general need for workflow tools in sharepoint?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

dragonshardz posted:

RIP Vile Rat.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/11-rip-vile-rat/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Our standard laptop is either an i5 with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd or an i7 with 16gb and 512gb ssd.

The main deciding factor is whether or not your title is three letters starting with a C.

Or if you're the one doing the ordering.

This i7 elitebook 840 is really nice.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Renegret posted:

no I can't come up with a good joke for this one

uh...freemasons?

somethingawful.com user forums

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Or num lock lol

If the user is on a laptop, this is an A+ guess.

Nothing like typing jkl and getting 123.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

They’re probably not wrong.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Have you not watched fight club?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Did you know that Bruce Willis was dead the entire time in Sixth Sense?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Most likely is that like many offices, cleaning staff only come through when everyone's gone for the day.

As far as I'm concerned, my trash can is emptied by magic faeries.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A thing that pisses me off is that shared mailboxes assigned by groups don’t autoprovision.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ElehemEare posted:

L O L if you work in IT and you haven’t met the cleaning staff coming through after 7pm, I envy you.

I haven't stayed in the office past 5:30 in 2 years, I've earned this poo poo.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

JackOfferman posted:

I'm trying my best. I got my resume out there, my linkedin fully updated and all that jazz. I am hoping to YOTJ, but right now there is a lot of help desk jobs that people would rather fill. There is some system engineer positions open at Amazon I could apply to. I think as long as I am not a warehouse worker I might not be worked to death?

If it’s the aws stuff a recruiter messaged me about on LinkedIn, it looks like a good gig.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We all know that the passwords are plaintext in an sql database, just run an update query.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ease of access exploit still works

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Admin is a bad safe word, it eliminates half of my role play.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

When I get a request like that I can just tell people to go create a group, invite whomever they like, and mark it private.

It has been mandated that no new data goes in the on-prem shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Poetry