Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanks Ants posted:

The Design of Everyday Things is a pro read

I actually read this last year but I was disappointed it didn't contain more stuff like this. The original title was "The Psychology of Everyday Things," and I felt that title was more accurate. After you get out of the door section there's a lot less about design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Maybe it's just a Midwest US thing but we call them superintendents, not directors.

They aren't the same thing. Directors work for superintendents, not necessarily directly.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

GreenNight posted:

There is a new condo building across from the main office, and one of the new wifi networks broadcasting is called "sendnudes". Now HR is throwing a huge fuckoff fit telling us we need to block all equipment from seeing this SSID.

We have dealt with complaints like this before. Even if it were feasible, interfering with a wi-fi network not your own is an FCC violation. Telling them that it's illegal is generally enough to get them off your back.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Knormal posted:

Just set up hundreds of wi-fi networks in your own building so the odds of the one across the street showing up in the first screen of results on anyone's device is really low.

I know this is a joke, but just in case people haven't run across this before, too many SSIDs will degrade performance as the amount of airtime required for overhead increases. This chart is the one usually cited: http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/2013/10/ssid-overhead-how-many-wi-fi-ssids-are.html

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Entropic posted:

You've never seen this kind of setup?

I've seen this before of course but I was taught not to use patch cables that short because they couldn't be certified. Doesn't mean they won't work, but if a manufacturer can't certify a cable, it can't warrant that it meets standards.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's a bunch of electricians/millwrights along with some contractors at a manufacturing plant redoing the office area and the messed up floor along with it. The server room lives in this general neighborhood.

They are going to jack it up and rig something so it hopefully doesn't fall and crush someone to death. It's a 24/7 facility and they don't want to wait for a down time to power poo poo off so we aren't tipping live disk arrays. Can just hope they don't drop poo poo or tip it beyond the agreed upon 15ish degrees. Disk failure rates are super awesome once you start operating at a steep angle.

These same folks moved the ATT demarc box a few weeks ago in spite of all of the warning stickers that said do not open do not touch and hosed all the fiber up until it got re-terminated, so I'm basically waiting for the slew of system down messages.

So you already have evidence that they don't know what they're doing. Do not allow them to do a thing that a. will probably gently caress up your equipment and b. will push the equipment failure down the road so they can't be provably at fault.

Electricians should be far, far away from data. I watched an electrician try to tip fiber once and it was like watching a bear try to knit.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Mr Robot is on Amazon Prime if you have that.

One of my favorite things about it is that, in S1 at least, each episode title had a different file extension, all of which were for standard video formats (.avi, .mp4, etc.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

RFC2324 posted:

Even tho not every length of cable has the same color pairs? I've seen spools that used red instead of brown, and other spools where it was almost impossible to tell the difference between brown and orange. This was all certified cable.

Full disclosure, I'm a sysadmin, so I have never cabled a data center. I've only ever run cable in someones home.

Every length of cable should absolutely have the same color pairs. The standard is orange-white, orange, green-white, blue, blue-white, green, brown-white, brown (that's B, swap the two oranges and the two greens for A). It should always be those eight (four) colors. What you're describing is probably just super-cheap cable and/or fading colors. Old cable can eventually have the colors fade away almost completely, and let me tell you that's a lot of fun to repair. I'm not telling you it's impossible that some manufacturer has some weird nonstandard color scheme, but if they do, it's just that: nonstandard.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

PirateDentist posted:

Our 9 year old Cisco switch stacks started to develop... issues. POE disabling, not able to SSH into them... Just not providing network to certain ports... Turns out their uptime was 8.5 years, and so when powered off today, they did not turn back on.

This was planned for, so I spent the better part of 12 hours with the boss today moving about 600 network ports into new* switches in three different IDF closets. There are 4 other stacks that are the same age/uptime. :shepface: We do not have any more spares.

*New to us! The spares were made in 2012!

What is your rack layout like? That strikes me as a very long time for that number of ports. Rack layouts vary and sometimes it's not possible but -- not to sound smug -- ours allows a switch replacement process for failed units that makes replacement of each 48-port switch only a few minutes per switch. If you're using chassis or your rack layout interlaces switches and patch panels that'll be hard to do.

Did all of the switches in all of these stacks refuse to power on? It's very unusual for that to happen all at once unless there was a big time power event. Do you have UPSes on these stacks? (If so, how old are these UPSes? I would expect to have to replace the units or at least the batteries after 5 to 7 years, but you said the uptime on these switches is past that.) You might want to schedule an ~annual switch reboot (reload at hh:mm dd month on Cisco IOS, as in reload at 23:00 30 june).

Getting more backup stock shouldn't take too long if the money is there, maybe a month or so from a reseller, but at 8 1/2 years of age I'd wonder if I should be looking at replacing with a newer model instead. Whatever you're using is probably approaching EOL if it's not there already.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanks Ants posted:

Phones - nope. I don't think there's an area where "this new thing must work exactly the same as the 30-year old obsolete system that was removed" is more prevalent.

Our new VOIP system does work pretty much the same way and it still throws people. They got trained and everything but they forget how to page or whatever. The process is the same on the new phones, and they swear they're doing exactly what they did on the old system but it doesn't work. Eventually you can get them to show you on the old phone how they did it, and at that point they realize they weren't doing the same thing as they used to. Everything just looks and feels a bit different. Not a knock on them, change is hard when you're used to something, but it always makes me laugh.

RFC2324 posted:

my first admin job was at a dev house where half the devs were former admins. every last one of them told me not to trust devs to know anything, no matter what their background

The thought process is always that since developers are good at one computer thing (coding), they must be good at other computer things. Not only does this not logically follow, but it presupposes that the developers are, in fact, good at coding. I have known some tremendously lovely coders. I have some basic coding experience but I'm not very good at it; I'm still better than some of the people who have done it professionally for years.

guppy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 21, 2018

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

duz posted:

Rule one of dealing with project managers is to only ever ask them yes/no questions.

Rule one of dealing with project managers is to pretend they don't exist since you will be doing 100% of their job anyway.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm not familiar with Aruba products specifically but some Googling indicates that the orange power light means it's in PoE power-saving mode, which probably means it's not getting enough power from the switch. It doesn't look like that should prevent it from working or prevent you from seeing the SSID regardless of band, but if your switch should be supplying enough power and the AP isn't receiving it, perhaps there's something causing both problems? Offhand, some things you might want to check:

1. Are you plugging directly into the switch, or into a cable elsewhere in the house? If the latter, try plugging it directly into the switch port to rule out a cabling issue with the horizontal run, with a known-good patch cord.

2. Can you pull information from the switch's CLI on PoE budget, per-port and overall, to see if those numbers are what they should be? The problem could be the switch, or its PoE module, or a specific switch port.

3. Is this thing brand new? Have you tried resetting it to default? There's probably a hole for a paper clip or something to reset it, you would probably have to hold it in. You can probably console in to monitor the output, our APs (different vendor) let you know when you've held it long enough to reset it. (EDIT: I see now you've already done this.)

4. Not sure what kind of switch you're using, but one guy said on an Avaya switch an LLDP configuration was limiting the power available to each port: https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Wireless-Access/AP-225-in-Powersave-mode-performance/td-p/221221/page/3

quote:

I had similar issue using Avaya 4850 switches.

issue ended up being the LLDP command limiting power to individual ports.

this is the command from Avaya CLI that limited ports to 802.3af

no lldp tx-tlv port 1/ALL,2/ALL dot3 mdi-power-support

I've seen similar stuff on switches from other vendors.

5. Same thread mentions a PoE bug in an older version of the AP's firmware, no idea what version you're running.

guppy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 1, 2018

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The confusing part for non-:911: people is that effectively it’s partially pre-tax, partially post-tax. The premiums (you guys have premiums for car and life insurance at least, right?) are pre-tax, but any additional costs are post-tax. Unless you have an FSA, which takes money out of each paycheck pre-tax that can be used just on medical expenses. Or a HSA, which is the same thing but requires you to have a specific kind of plan which generally means lower premiums but higher amounts before the insurance covers anything. You can put more into the HSA and sometimes companies match the funds to some extent. You can roll over a HSA between years, but you can’t roll over the FSA. You can use the HSA for anything, but have to pay the taxes afterward if it’s not on approved expenses. The HSA is filled paycheck by paycheck, but the FSA is filled at the beginning of the year. You can put HSA money into investments if you aren’t planning on spending it any time soon, but you have to pay taxes on the money you make from that.

Make sense?

No, I'm sorry, HSAs and FSAs are bullshit. I shouldn't have to pre-allocate money for medical expenses that might not happen. The insurance system is not great and I would much rather have single-payer healthcare but I am glad I at least pay my premiums and know where I stand.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

It's shocking how much every part of this looks like a UI that Google would absolutely consider perfectly adequate to release to the public.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is it Bix or Krone where the standard punch tool actually has a slicing cutter? I don't do traditional telephony, only data, but that tool was super neat.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Agrikk posted:

gently caress punching down anything ever.

I recently moved into a new house and as part of a bunch of electrical work I was having cat5 pulled from various parts of the house back to a panel next to my cabinet in the garage.

When we were doing the walkthrough and talking about termination I showed him the leviton panel I’d already screwed into the wall.

He says, “And who will punch them down? You?”

I say, “No, I’ll leave that for you guys to do.”

A beat.

“...Okay.”

We had about ten thousand dollars of electrical work going into the house and I could tell that punching cat5 was this —-><—- close to being a deal breaker. No one wants to do it.

I pay people to do my plumbing. I pay people to do my landscaping. I pay people to do my punch-downs.

I do not enjoy punching down cables but I will do it before I let an electrician do it. I've met electricians who are good at punching down data cabling and who know what a cable certifier is, but I've met 500 times that number who aren't and don't. There are low-voltage contractors who do data cabling for a living and they are a much better choice to handle your data work, even if you've already got an electrician doing the high-voltage.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Renegret posted:

I've never had to crimp a wire in my life. Like, I got the tools for it, I've just had no need to actually do it.

Part of me feels like I'm missing out on some sort of rite of passage, but the other part of me wants to make fun of you rubes for your misfortune.

I was going to say that it's good to do it once so that you know what it's like, but to be honest, if you have any familiarity with data cabling at all there is not much point. There is almost no value in doing it in the field because there is absolutely no chance that you will do as good a job as the machine in the factory. Unless you literally need to make a patch cable to get it through raceway or conduit or something it's always better to use a machine-made cable, and in most of those situations you're better served terminating it on to a jack (and ideally putting it in a faceplate, but sometimes industrial applications do preclude that).

wolrah posted:

I'd guess because electrical and to a lesser extent telecom wiring is easy to test and verify that everything was done right. data cabling is a lot pickier, it's much more likely to end up with a connection that looks good and even passes continuity tests but doesn't perform to spec.

Or just laziness and not wanting to deal with it, as shown by the last page of people who know what they're doing but hate doing it.

IMO a 50 pack of 8P8C ends should last years in most environments, you should never be crimping normal patch cables, just use commercial ones. The only cables you should be considering building are the unusual ones. Crossovers, loopbacks, multi-line breakouts, etc.

I agree completely, and I think it's mostly the first one. In their world if something makes a physical connection then it works and that's all there is to it, and you can touch it with a multimeter to prove that it works. In the data world each cable is actually 8 wires and they have some arcane voodoo where the twists have to be maintained and just being connected doesn't prove anything. You also need a tool to test with that costs thousands of dollars ($60k+ if you're going Fluke!) plus a few thousand bucks to maintain service and calibration, and none of your results are valid if you're not also maintaining a certification separate from your electrician's license. Test results in general are alien to electricians. I can't tell you how many I've talked to who didn't understand what was required of them on their contract. It's a totally different world.

The real fun is when electricians are hired to do fiber work. Talk about alien experiences.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

MF_James posted:

I can't tell you how many times the garbage toners will happily light up but data still will not pass through a jack, as soon as I have the tech punch the jack down again magically it starts working.

gently caress those cheap rear end blinky light testers, punch the god drat jack down again like I'm paying you to do.

That's because toners aren't for that. Toners are for identifying and locating wires. Some of them, like Fluke's Intellitone 200, will tell you if a wire is open or something, but to actually prove that a cable performs to specification, you need a cable certifier. They test much more than wire map and will test for things like NEXT and return loss. They are fantastic and anyone pulling or testing data cabling should have one, but they are expensive, much more so than a toner. A really good toner is a couple hundred bucks. The cheapest good copper cabling certifier I know of is still thousands and thousands of dollars.

I can terminate a cable on request that will pass a wire map test but won't meet Cat6 performance standards. The most important thing about a certifier is that a calibrated tester operated by a certified operator is unimpeachable. If you show a contractor a certified test result that says their result fails, that's the end of the story. There's no arguing, the cable failed. A reputable cable vendor will have one of their own and provide certification results at the end of the job. Don't hire someone to do data work if they can't or won't provide that certification. This is one reason I don't like to hire electricians to do data work; they usually don't have one, don't know what it is, don't have anyone certified to operate it -- not that it's difficult, especially for copper -- and definitely won't pay to get either one.

Thanks Ants posted:

I just want to know how the logistics works of wiring a couple hundred drops and getting them to fall into the patch panels in a way that means the numbers are in the same order as the drops are out on the floor.

There's no magic to it, it's just careful planning. On a new construction project a data contractor will have prints to work from showing how many drops go where in each room, and a good one and will plan out what's being pulled where long before they actually pull any cable, and they'll have a port map for each closet. They will mark cables physically before pulling a bundle so they know which cable is which when they get it there, and there will be plenty of slack when they go to cut down the cables to length. After that it's just a matter of being meticulous about punching down the cables as planned.

The order the drops are punched down in matters -- sort of. If I'm having issues with drops in a room, I would prefer that all the drops in a room be next to each other so that I don't have to hunt all over the panel for them. And ideally I would like adjacent rooms to be adjacent on the patch panel for the same reason. But after the initial installation, any new work is almost certainly going to go on the end of the next free panel no matter where it is. You can only be anal retentive about this stuff for so long before reality will intrude. (Make them follow the existing labeling scheme. Don't let them add BREAKROOM-1 and BREAKROOM-2.)

Bonus reason I don't like to have electricians doing data work: their labeling sucks. Sometimes they just won't label at all, unless you put your foot down. Other times they'll hand-label it, which will fade over time and eventually you'll have no idea what's what. Labeling should be done with a machine labeler so they won't fade. (Once I had someone label in a way that the labels on each end weren't the same, which defeats the purpose of labeling. Yes, they were given a labeling scheme to use. They ignored it.) When you don't have a label, a toner will do the trick, but it's much nicer to know that you're looking for D1-A23 or whatever on the panel.

guppy fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 27, 2018

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Sigh. What a timely discussion, annoyingly enough.

I just had a project come up for my side gig, one that I tried to avoid, and gave them a fuckyou price to get them to go away, but they decided they still wanted it. The project is to reterminate about 60 drops (wires, not locations), into new patch panels, put in a four post rack and mount the patch panels / gear in it, and patch/wire everything. They're going to end up paying me about $200/hr (I hope, assuming I don't take forever - I'm normally a sysadmin not a cable puncher, and in case that comes out wrong, what I mean is I have utmost respect for those guys that can just line up the cables and punch them down bam bam bam - I'm not that guy because I do it so infrequently and the last major wiring project I did was the 48 drops in my house. In 2011).

So I'm pondering using some of the money from the project to get a certifier, and yes, I know the entry level ones are $2-3k. My question is, after staring at reviews for a while, what would you recommend? The Fluke range appears to have been sold off to another company, and the few reviews of the newer models don't seem promising (poo poo like the thing can only store reports for 50 cables and it takes hours to download them to a PC). There's the Ideal Navitek, but reviews of that aren't great either. Any certifiers that are actually worth the money in that range?

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Hrm, maybe I just go with a tester rather than certifier, in that case. The LanTEK is a bit more in the price range, but since I don't plan to do this stuff often it probably isn't worth it. I just wanted something a little better than "yup it's electrically connected". The NaviTEK was already something I'd been looking at and the cost is definitely doable.

It seems a bit crazy how much more the certifiers are. Don't get me wrong, I'd be the first to yell at someone for going "why should I pay $5000 for an enterprise switch when this $500 Zyxel switch has all the same specs", and I understand that good gear, especially when it's a specialized field, costs money. But on the other hand, there's lots of examples of specialized gear not really being all that special in terms of the actual equipment, and you're just paying a premium for it being specialized and because "that's just what it costs". And these days, testing that a cable can reach gigabit speeds seems doable with two laptops and iperf. What exactly justifies thousands more for what looks like a jumped-up Android tablet in a rubberized case with a network testing app?

So the real answer to this depends on the terms of your contract.

1. If your contract does not specify that you are to certify the results then, well, certifying the lines at all isn't a necessary expense. But you'll never really know if your work is fully spec compliant without certifying.

2. If you just want to test the lines, you can look at a LinkSprinter (a few hundo) or a LinkRunner (~$1200). These were formerly Fluke branded, then sold off to Netscout, then just recently sold off to StoneCalibre. They will test for wire map and will literally test whether the line functions -- it will upload a report and email you a link to that report. If you got the report, then it uploaded. As far as I know it's only this line (LinkSprinter, LinkRunner, AirCheck, etc.) that was sold off, Fluke is still doing their Versiv units with the assorted copper and fiber modules.

3. Fluke is the gold standard of cable certifiers but they are no poo poo like $60K to buy a full kit and that's only copper. They are awesome but if you're gonna do this once or twice ever it's not worth that money.

4. Ideal is the only other company I know of making good cable certifiers, and that's the LANTek series. They are not as fancy as the Flukes but will give you a perfectly good certification result for $8k instead of $60k. I would personally accept either from my vendors. That's still a lot of money in an absolute sense but it's an order of magnitude cheaper than Fluke.

5. Here's what you might actually want to do: my understanding is that you can actually rent cable certifiers from a local vendor. For Fluke at least your results are not technically "valid" without an operator certification, but testing copper is not rocket science and you'll be able to test that your work performs to spec. It is very important, obviously, that you configure the thing for the right kind of test, cable type, etc. The other thing to check is that for Fluke at least the unit must be re-calibrated annually. For you to be able to trust the results, the copper module must have been calibrated within the past year, so if you're renting a unit, make sure it's within the calibration period. There should be a certificate indicating its calibration date. I don't know if Ideal does something similar or how necessary it is.

Hopefully that's some help to you. As far as why cable certifiers cost so much, they can produce a really incredible amount of information that's very useful for troubleshooting, not just whether the line fails or passes. It will give you detailed reports for each test, and if the line does not pass, it'll tell you why. If there's a break in the cable, it'll tell you where the break is and on which wires. If you have too much crosstalk, it'll tell you which end is the issue. It will give you the margins by which you passed or failed each test. Most of all, it protects you and your work from problems down the road. Oh, you're having problems with that line? Well, here's the certification result from when I installed it, I can't do much about it if someone monkeying around in the data closet messed it up later.

That said, there's more to cable installation than that. For example, the lines need to be supported properly on the back of the panel so that the weight of the cable doesn't pull wires off the panel over time. (Other stuff, like firestopping, you won't have to worry about if you're just doing the termination work.) There's a reason I hire pros to do cabling runs instead of doing them myself.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thom and the Heads posted:

sometimes i think to myself "wow. these guys we just outsourced to are almost completely incompetent and lack the basic English skills required to describe technical problems in any amount of depth. surely this means more job security for me!"

lmao yeah right

It was really eye-opening to me how this works. Once the decision is made, it does not matter if the result is absolutely horrible. The only thing that can change it is if the people who made the decision, or senior management they report to, don't like the result and say something. The last part is critical -- our VIP users hate contracted level 1 support, but they don't complain or fire the people responsible so it just putters along being awful.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It's bad design, and the fact that so many people are complaining about it shows that. I appreciate that the intent is to allow users an easy way to update the ticket, but users are going to keep inadvertently reopening these tickets because that's the consequence of the natural response to it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I love getting developer tickets that are essentially "why does this spaghetti code macro I wrote not run properly?" Like I don't know man, you wrote the thing. How about you fix it?

fake edit: as I typed this I was provided a screenshot saying "Compile error: can't find project or library".

Yeah I've fixed basic errors in developers' code before, when I was doing end-user support. Buddy, you're paid like three times what I am despite clearly not deserving it, this is not my problem.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I originally saw this on reddit, where someone pointed out that -- among the many other problems with this idea -- there might be some concerns about having your network and systems infrastructure in a location that definitionally will not be secured.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't believe for a minute it was a joke. Maybe after the poo poo they took they improved and started saying "Oh, haha, that was a joke," but no way do I believe that wasn't a serious posting at the time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The result of 50,000 man hours of 'there it works, now don't loving touch it. Don't even so much as breathe at it funny, because we have no idea how or why it works, and at this point we're too terrified of it to try and determine that.'

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

null_pointer posted:

I don't care what IM program we use anymore, I just want the entire company on it.

Seriously, the fragmenting of communication channels is killing me. We got MatterMost and Slack and Confluence and Teams and SfB and email and phone and some fuckhead wandering by my desk, all at the same time. Hopefully they'll kill SfB and move everyone to Teams, soon, because SfB is horrific.

We have this problem too, and it's our fault because we're the ones implementing all of them. We are now standing up a fourth service. Most people in the organization use zero (0) of these available services.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Renegret posted:

lmao funny you mention this because I have one that's sort of related.

A few months ago poo poo started rolling downhill on a badly needed feature that suddenly caught management's attention. The lead dev started giving my supervisor poo poo for not escalating it earlier. When I found out this was going on, I was kind enough to provide my supervisor with my three and a half year old feature request. The ticket was around longer than the dev.

The kicker is that it just got fixed today.

The whole thing highlighted two core problems with how things run around here. One of the reasons it hasn't been fixed for so long is because of the high turnaround of the devs, who keep leaving because they get tired of chasing after the wims of senior management. Plus, they keep trying to get cheaper and cheaper devs, so after a while we'd hire a dev for them to spend a few months looking at the code they're supposed to support, say gently caress this poo poo, and bounce.

Secondly, the whole thing could've been avoided if any sort of feedback was requested. I didn't know said feature was a thing until it went live, and I immediately noticed a glaring problem that needed to be addressed. Despite me escalating the problem three different ways within hours of it going live, it still took us 3 years to even look at it. The worst part is that the fix should have been incredibly easy. It's equivalent to adding a single field to a report from a database that's already been queried.

It took me most of a year to get them to add several locations to our new ticketing system that they somehow missed when they built it. These are active sites with users working at them. It had to go through a committee that didn't consider it a priority and didn't talk about it in their meetings.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Trying to learn COBOL in the mid 2000s was what turned me off to a comp sci degree. At best, it seems like most CS degrees are at least a decade behind what we currently recognize as good, productive ideas and methods.

They wanted you to learn COBOL in the mid 2000s? I entered a CS program in 2001 and my classes were taught in Java. I have never heard of COBOL being part of any CS curriculum.

I ended up not caring for the CS program and switching out of it -- I always wanted to do IT -- but that one year taught me some very valuable stuff that I actually do use on the job. Basic software engineering skills are useful when you're scripting. Is this the most efficient way I can do this? Maybe I should compartmentalize this into different functions? I should define constants at the top rather than hardcoding them in. I should write comments. I should format my code in a readable way with proper indents and casing.

I am actually skeptical that individuals writing automation is going to remain the future at least in networking, which is my specialty. Over time I think vendors will start to provide their own tools to do the automation side, and they're already starting to. Expecting people to have deep domain knowledge and also be good programmers is a pretty big ask.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Standing up for yourself is well and good, but we've already established that he's in an area where IT jobs are few and far in between and can't move away for good reasons. It does not make sense to start lighting fires without a plan to go elsewhere, and even then it's not very helpful or professional.

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm apparently too big to fail.

Today was quarterly performance appraisals. The email to faculty was an order to the principal to see what faculty experience with IT has been. The principal editorialized the email so that responses would only be negative.

Ironically, every single response was glowing. He shared the email chain with me during the review and said my performance has been exemplary and the sentiment is shared with employees. (I noticed he conveniently left out the principal's initial request)

I got 5s across the board except for attendance (I'm a single dad, eat dicks) and appearance (I accidentally wore jeans once when the governor was on campus and I never tuck in my shirt because I am very oddly shaped OK A Y).

I also came prepared with the results of a satisfaction survey I submitted to all non-administrative employees last week. Average score on all responses was 4.8/5.

Nearly every person that responded included a comment at the end about how ridiculous it is that after 3 years they still have this as a single person department. One person commented that "the fact that this entire campus hasn't burned to the ground is a testament to Larchesdanrew's knowledge and commitment to this institution."

So, I still have a job.

I'm still looking for a job.

Also lol at the guy suggesting I storm into my boss's office and do a bunch of chest thumping.

Glad to hear your review went well. Who was your review with if not the principal? Is he aware that the principal has it in for you?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't know if it still does this, but at least a few years ago, the native iOS mail client would automatically (and silently) send read receipts if they were requested. There was no way to disable that "feature."

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Malachite_Dragon posted:

... did they think the test was to plug in all the cords as fast as possible, accuracy be damned?

Sometimes people in these things just have absolutely no idea what they're doing and there's not a reasonable explanation for what happened. I get tickets escalated to me where the helpdesk tech literally didn't try anything to fix the problem before giving up.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

codo27 posted:

Had 2 new high end workstations arrive for users. I cracked one open just out of curiosity, this thing has a hard drive in it? No SSD at all? Thats strange. I mention it to them and they confirm they were ordered with SSDs. I'm told apparently rather than buy them preinstalled, they ordered them separately.

Drives finally arrive today, I get 2 fancy m.2 drives. These computers, somehow, brand new i7 9700 machines have no m.2 slots. The instructions call for PCIe adapters to install them. They didn't send those. Why the gently caress do we have to deal with vendors at all? Why cant we just buy poo poo ourselves without an extra markup for no reason?

Theoretically, using a vendor is supposed to make sure that you don't make boneheaded mistakes like that. In practice....

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Plastik posted:

Re-orgs are almost always the result of some manager looking for a promotion, and betting that they can save costs in the short term and get out of their current role before the real fires start. "Spearheaded ambitious reorganization to streamline the command structure and cut labor costs by over 10%" looks great on a resume, especially if you're shooting for a C-level position, and they feel under no particular pressure to finish the sentence with "despite projected saving of more than double that, and causing inefficiencies and organizational knowledge defecits that tanked customer satisfaction, dramatically increased hiring and training costs over the following 2 years, and ultimately cost the company 4x what I initially predicted it would save."

Why yes, I've been through some re-orgs, why do you ask?

I was taught to always expect exactly one re-org from incoming executive leadership. Everyone gets one, so they can have their company/department/team/whatever running the way they think it should. But a second re-org is tantamount to admitting you made a mistake the first time, so people don't do it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

PremiumSupport posted:

Unfortunately with default Windows 10, this doesn't actually do what we all expect it to do. Powering down just hibernates the system, it doesn't even reset the uptime counter. To actually reset the contents of memory and give the system a fresh start, you have to select "reboot" from the power menu. I'm sure there's a setting or registry entry that can change this behavior though.

Garrand posted:

I believe this is the Fast Startup feature, you can disable it in the Define Power buttons menu (it's just a checkbox).

Thanks for this, I didn't know about any of this and it's another potential investigation point for the never-ending stream of "network problems" that are obviously not actually problems with the network.

EDIT:

Garrand posted:

Doing support largely for college kids home internet I've learned to be extremely specific. "So if you look at your router, one end is plugged into the blue port labeled internet and the other end is running and plugged into the walljack, is that correct?"

I mean, as long as their giving an effort, still periodically get people who immediately say yes and then I force them to go get me information off the router or something and then suddenly it connects. "Okay, seems like you're working now, good bye"

The trick is not to ask yes/no questions. If you ask:

quote:

Is one end of the cable in the blue Internet port and the other end in a wall jack?

then they can just say yes without knowing, checking, or doing anything. There are only two possibilities and whichever they pick will be coherent. But if you ask:

quote:

Can you tell me what each end of the cable is plugged into?

then they have to generate an answer that makes sense. They could lie, of course, but most people won't, and moreover, won't know enough to generate a convincing lie. It will force them to go look, so they can describe the connections to your satisfaction.

guppy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 12, 2020

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I want a module that checks to see if Tier 1 entered any comments and if it doesn't find any it rejects the escalation and complains to their manager that they didn't do any troubleshooting

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Cherwell is horrible, the worst ticketing system I've ever used. I am also the only one who paid attention or asked questions in the brief training class we took, so my entire team comes to me for help setting it up and using it.

Also, there's no Mac client and some of my team use Macs, and you can't edit the dashboard in the web client, so I have to use one of my laptops to get their dashboards set up.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

DelphiAegis posted:

I WFH 100% and am in the market for a new chair to sit my rear end in. My previous has had the gas piston fail and won't go up anymore. Probably because of my fat goony rear end... and the fact that it's like 10 years old.

What are all your fat goony asses sitting in when you work, if you got your own chair? I'm honestly expecting to have to pay at least $200 for a quality chair, but it's been so long I have no idea what to look for anymore. Most office chairs have leather (gently caress that), and the "gamer" chairs look hilariously uncomfortable/stupid/overpriced.

I recently got fed up with my lovely office and chair and I seriously considered shelling out the $900-1400 for a Herman Miller or a Steelcase, because they're the only ones that all the review websites (Wirecutter, etc.) think are any good, but ended up buying a $130 Aeron knockoff from Costco. We'll see if it's $130 for build quality reasons, but I've been very happy with it so far.

I haven't had it that long yet, but if it breaks in short order, I am just going to suck it up and buy one of the crazy expensive chairs.

guppy fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 6, 2020

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

larchesdanrew posted:

I close on my house on July 8th. My last day in this place is June 30th. I submitted my notice and they began advertising for my position.

They are only advertising at community colleges :yotj:

Congrats! Every workplace has its issues, but I swear there are places to work that aren't complete nightmare hellholes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My employer does very little automation, but I've been consuming a lot of training on the subject on Pluralsight since it's regarded as the way of the future. I am extremely dissatisfied with the focus areas of the stuff I'm watching. I have some programming background, but not a ton, although I have far more than any of my coworkers, who are mostly of the "have problem, follow this process" type. I am reasonably competent at basic coding logic, but I have basically no experience working in this way. Most of the training on Pluralsight is by the same guy, and he seems to come at it from the perspective of a programmer who needs to learn network stuff, instead of a network guy who needs to learn programming stuff. Can anyone recommend better resources for this? I understand the basic concepts of having structured data in a file that can be read and parsed for the particulars, but if I had to create that file from scratch and then write code to apply it, I'd be struggling.

guppy fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
In stacking switches, I've generally seen the primary member of the stack still called the "master." Of course, even that sentence shows how easy that terminology would be to replace: primary, main, controlling, lots of options.