Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Long live the new thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Kyrosiris posted:

I know mine did, at least - got laid off in June, signed an offer letter last week for a job that starts 1/2. 50% raise from the place that laid me off. :toot:
Laid off in December, on a Monday, signed an acceptance the following Monday in the new city I wanted to move to anyway, with a 20% raise and another 5% in 90 days. :Too: :toot:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Why the gently caress did we think it was a good idea to make our own email client? :smithicide:
I give up, what's the punch line?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Something something backups.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I wonder if Yahoo keeps metrics on how often their site is used to find Google.
Obviously they don't, there are still non-suicided Yahoo execs.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Overkill for home use, but if you need color it's fine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Why does his ex want to stay in shitsville, though?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Not tied to an area-specific industry, enjoying low cost of living, other family support / ties to the area?

Larches have you considered starting an MSP / contracting IT projects to local companies so you can stick around, make good money, and not deal with poo poo-rear end bosses that don't give a gently caress about IT?
Not the worst idea.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

If you can get away with it, just open the filter up. Change it to default allow, blacklist known trouble sites, disable SSL inspection and get the students off your back.
Agreeing with this. At the very least until you can spend more time setting up filters.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

We pay all of our bills late because out accounting department is full of slow senior citizens

Every other time we call a vendor for help "uhh you owe us $1200 we can't talk to you until..."
We had one client that couldn't get their financial poo poo together so we had to do that every single month for the time I was there. Made me feel good because they were dumbasses in other ways, too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

blackswordca posted:

So a phone call came in...

... with a job offer working with a large bank. Its not helpdesk so no more fixing printers or crap like that.

Plus the 50% pay raise is nice too!

:yotj:

Ill be supporting one or two internal apps. By supporting them I mean calling the vendor when it breaks.
I'm jealous

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

dragonshardz posted:

RIP Vile Rat.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Not domain connected or wrong username.

How people gently caress up username I don't know, but they sure do it often.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Things you don't want to hear as the MSP provider: "I think it'd be faster, and cheaper, to build a whole new dc, build out a clean domain, and reconnect all 250 users to this new domain than to go through and fix all these network and gpo issues."

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

oh rly posted:

This happened to me as well when I was in younger. I applied as a tech, but the interview was a bait and switch to work on the floor. They also told me I have to work up to a tech and that the one guy in their Tech Center was tough competition.
Same, with the added joy of my hiring manager being gone by the time I actually started. Cluster gently caress of a job I was at for way too long.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

This is why we get to have nice things (when that VGA cord inevitably rips out of the box).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I've tried that combo and never had it do anything.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

klosterdev posted:

You need Windows 10 + Fall Creators Update
I'm on whatever the current insider build is...

It supposedly goes into color filter mode. Interesting. The settings panel for the feature has a toggle to enable/disable the shortcut, and it was turned off. Interesting effect.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 5, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Are they worried about the person being violent or about him/her talking to others or about others knowing who they are firing or they street the firing?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

A client just insisted on installing a switch themselves. Client stayed late and replaced two temporary 24 port switches with a new 48 port.

Client just sent in a picture. Both 24s are gone, there are *two* cables plugged into the new switch, and the patch panels have about 30 new cables plugged into them.

I am so glad this isn't directly my problem.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Renegret posted:

Client doesn't know what a VLAN is either I'm guessing?
Flat switch, no vlans in use on it. Took our tech a couple hours to untangle the mess.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

It would be astronomical.
Thread winner

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

Our PR guy had a nervous breakdown and specifically cites the director as the cause.

After nearly 3 years I have finally completed the card access project.

:siren:The Director is about two weeks away from accepting a position as superintendent in another city:siren:

He has become unbearable and his most likely replacement is the nicest guy I have ever met.

I have been offered a job as technology director for the engineering school at a college. It pays $20k more than I make here with regular raises and bonuses. Word is that it’s extremely laid back and they have more money than they know how to spend. I’ll also have employees again :allears:

Things are shaping up nicely.
Larches winning?

I'm not sure how to parse this.

Congrats dude. You are certainly past due for some good luck.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 17, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol holy gently caress. our Sr SysEng just accidentally deleted our NetApp's service account. Whoops.

LOL HOLY gently caress THEN HE DELETED ALL OF OUR SHARES. GODDAMNIT
He's retiring at 5pm, right?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My home computer, but its a head scratcher so wtf.

Home built machine
Asus Z97M-Plus
Windows 10

SATA port 1: 850 Pro 250GB
SATA port 2: random 1TB spinner
m.2: Brand new WD Black 250GB

Computer works fine on the existing OS (850 pro). I unplugged both existing drives, plugged in the new m.2, booted off USB and installed windows 10, exactly like normal.

Reboot.
Load back to the installer.
ok, its booting the flash drive again.
Unplug flash drive, reboot.
Loads to the loving UEFI.
uhhh.
Select and tell it to boot the m.2. Runs through POST, loads the UEFI again.
Select and tell it to boot the m.2. Runs through POST, loads the UEFI again.
umm, wtf?
Plug old drives back in, loads old copy of windows fine.

WTF am I missing? The flash was UEFI and it showed UEFI in the boot option when I selected it. Secure boot is on, but with a fresh install and no other drives involved it should boot to the new OS, right? The goal here is to load the old SSD with linux, but continue using it until the new copy of windows is up to speed.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 2, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'll do both and test.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

blackswordca posted:

Have you done a bios update? Older versions of the bios dont have proper support for the m2 drive. They will see it as a storage device, not a boot device.

Also the Z97 board only has a gen 3.0 x2 m2 slot so there may be some odd performance issues.
Bingo

Updated bios (and ordeal in and of itself) and good to go.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My office manager got one of those fake MS support phone calls, and listening to the office manager of an msp fake out this dumbass is hilarious.

"Facebook doesn't close. It's how I get to the interwebs."

And then they hung up on her.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 9, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

I have evolved. The last 8 tickets in a row have resolved themselves with my mere proximity to the affected devices.

Bow, peons.
I get called a wizard for fixing problems just by calling regularly. It happens.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dude from att knocked on my door the other evening saying they were working on the building and asking if I wanted to switch. Asking 3 times what kinda of speeds they were getting and getting replies of TV stations got the door slammed on his face.

Spectrum isn't much better though, the calls and flyers to add TV service is damned near every day. Fuckers.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

To be fair the batch file to do that is only 5 lines long iirc. Turn off bits and win update services, delete the folder, start those two again. This is the software distribution folder, not sxs.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

to be fair that 4 years is approx. 90% of my entire IT career.
I was talking with a dude at my school IT department and he said his first OS was XP and I nearly cried at how old I really am to be going back to school. He worked with a core 2 duo machine one time, but it was just an old throwaway box. My first was a Pentium 66mhz. FML.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

When all else fails, imagine the user is the most incompetent idiot ever and start at page 1.

User: I got a new printer over the weekend. Its not printing. Help!
IT: ok. So you have two copies of the printer, one shows offline. Delete the offline, change the name on the online to match the old one (for industry reasons).... Is it printing?
User: Nope.
IT: ok, well its still showing a ghost image of the old one. Lets reboots and...
User: Still no.
IT: The printer has power, right?
User: Yup!
IT: And is it a small USB cord or an old style parallel port? (Its literally a dot matrix, so who loving knows)
User: USB.
IT: Ahh. Its trying to print to a LPT port. Lets just change it to the USB por.... there's no USB port on the list. Can you trace the USB port from the printer to the computer, please?
User: Its not plugged in.
IT: *mutes mic* MOTHERFUCKER *un-mute* Well we found the issue. Plug that in, please.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

People who reply to closed tickets, period. Unless its "this needs addition work for reason 'x' ".

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Anybody use IT Glue? Is there a way to not require a new password login, with 2FA, every, like 5 minutes?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

It would definitely be a fun job, but also amazingly annoying at times.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

mllaneza posted:

26.5 MB. That's not a lot of storage, right ?

Well, it's a really loving significant number when it's your free space remaining on C: on Win7 Pro. Luckily, the customer had a couple of GB in the recycle bin, but she's so screwed in general terms. I find out Tuesday if she managed to free up enough space to move her to a new laptop.
Windirstat and see what is using the space. There are several known culprits that eat space without a good reason.

If it's user date... Lol.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

A high priority ticket comes in, first action: change the priority to low for statistics.
I see you've worked in IT before.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nullfunction posted:

Our policy is that if you're drinking at the office you can't work on production systems and if you get too drunk the company will pay for a taxi/rideshare to get you home safely.

Pretty much every time I'm in the office, I end up getting lunchbeers with a bunch of the engineers and we turn the majority of Friday afternoon into happy hour, it's great.
My company has beers in the fridge and almost everyone in the office has 1-2 between 3-4:00...every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Are you hiring?
Doubt you are local.