Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
You could also set up an access point or two specifically for just the body cams, shove them on their own vlan and set the radios to whatever frequency you aren't using for your main network and let them have at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Methanar posted:

Anything more serious of a problem or larger scale than that, you need to do bigger things like have a geographically distributed presence and do fancy things with BGP any casting and using sacrificial sites

Man, the cyberpunk dystopia is here, only instead of hot half-cyborg Asian chicks and seedy Japanese diners, it's some underpaid nerd in an office trying to cope with 100,000 infected webcams sending billions of dickpicks per second and crashing the servers because we as a race can't have nice things.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sickening posted:

Getting those kinds of issues fixed is such a giant pain in the rear end for me. Power company is going to deflect to your building. The guys you get to look at your building are going to deflect to the power company. You descend into this pit of despair and rage until you pay enough money to all the parties and one of them accidentally fixes it.

Find the demarc point, hire a 3rd party electrician to check the power company size supply voltages, phase imbalance, and ground impedance. Now it's ABC Electric and your building tech both saying it's the power company, and you can more likely get them to come out and fix it.

Orrrrr.....CYA yourself and make sure the configs are backed up when something inevitably blows up and you get to fix it.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 17, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Collateral Damage posted:

ServiceNow suffers from the same problem so many other highly customizable software suites do: It absolutely needs to be set up by someone who knows what they're doing, and in a larger organization you probably want someone managing it full time.

But it's usually sold as a solution to all your problems installed with default settings and left unmaintained, unloved and largely unusable, which gives the product a reputation for being lovely and too complex because it hasn't been trimmed down to your specific needs.

More or less exactly this, if you have the ability to hire a good service now dev/admin, it can be a wonderful way to automate and handle tons of stuff, and interface with HR and service desk, and get an ITIL framework set up to do things better. Out of the box it's a horrible kludge of every single cool thing they could think of, set up by a retard.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RFC2324 posted:

strikes me as more of a James Bond type scenario... Secret agent sneaking into the rubble of a collapsed skyscraper, sleeping with a beautiful first responder, maybe taking a flamethrower to some steel beams

"This char pattern.....only the Kremlin has the technology to do this! I must inform the Chief!"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress, fine, here’s the details:

They are undertaking a project to clean up the files and folders in their department’s network drive. They asked a while ago if there was a way to easily back it up in case anything went wrong. I told them how the regular backup system worked, and warned them that if their training documents used absolute links then those would be broken if they started moving stuff around. People may remember I had trouble remembering the name for relative links a while ago? That was this.

Apparently the job has been proceeding slowly as they asked today if there was a way to get the links from everything, and where they pointed to, so that they could check in advance if they’re going to be breaking poo poo. Helping them find those links is way way WAY outside scope, but now that there’s a mostly working powershell script...

The correct answer here is to heavily pad your time estimate to code, debug and test the script, then present it to them as a "You wanna spend the 20 hours of billable time on this, get your boss and my boss to OK it and I'll get started. Earliest I can have this done with my current responsibilities would be February 3rd." You get a cool powershell script to play with, they get a solution that spits out a big csv of stuff to look into, and hopefully your department has a method to bill back the time worked on it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I’m help desk, and the only one of the three of us that knows more than "powershell exists." A couple of our infrastructure guys are powershell wizards, but they also have better poo poo to do, like keep the servers running and upgrading us to Umbrella so we can ditch McAffe and consolidating our 3 domains to 1.

If you're Helldesk, and the other two shlubs are able to take up the slack, I'd absolutely do this. A nice mini-vacation from the usual break/fix/swear ticket grind, a cool thing to talk about on your eventual YOTJ interview, and experience in a scripting language a lot of people are still kinda iffy on. If your boss okays it, go for it. Some of the coolest stuff I've done is because 'here is a problem, here is a hammer, fabricate us a pile of nails to use it on' and I managed to come up with a solution. Like my horrible abortion of an excel spreadsheet that interfaced with google maps via visual basic to find the average driving time between a set starting point and a variety of potential client sites in order to find the best city to set up a satellite office in.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Virigoth posted:

Report yourself to the people who gave you the grant as being in violation of the contract because gently caress them they don't deserve the computers.

This is the correct answer here, your director is bully and a shithead of the highest order, do exactly what you're contractually obligated to do, and start documenting your hostile workplace lawsuit, because that's possibly the most toxic environment I've heard of.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It would seem one of two situations: school is losing massive amounts of money and is circling the drain, OR the director is pocketing so much cash in the belief that he'll never have enough to live 'comfortably' and is now so deep in his illusion he can't see himself for a crook.

There's no other reason to constantly consolidate job positions where there were two full time employees before.

Larches at this rate your job will be consolidated with the computer lab attendant.

Or the director managed to politics his way into a position he has no earthly loving clue how to do, and is doing his level best to blame it on everyone not him, while making as many decisions as possible while huffing Dunning-Kreuger brand paint stripper.

Honestly, without knowing what the specifics are accounting-wise, an anonymous report to the state educational comptroller alleging gross budget mismanagement and embezzlement might be the only way to get a spotlight shown on this dude from on high. Reducing headcount, consolidating positions, and taking lavish trips to 'leadership conferences' on the school's budget sounds like fraud to me.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Fool posted:

Apparently she was just as confused when the announcement came down as we were and promises to take a hands off approach to our department.

That'll last just until she has some stupid project that needs doing, and she now has the power to bully you into doing because she's the boss now.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

tomapot posted:

My department gives out awards, for successful projects they get the Everest award for reaching the summit. We also have a self-nominated Windy Corner award which means your project failed and you got blown off the mountain. You get a damaged and weathered trophy and get to tell your tale of lessons learned.

I would be so much better if it was a pair of toddler sized booties spraypainted green. "You died, your corpse acts as a way marker for those who come after you, what have you learned?"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I've been keeping an eye on that, and that kind of lockin always seemed super skeezy to me. Sure, we'll sell you the item, but we own all the embedded software it needs to run. Imagine if any time you changed the tires on your car you had to call up Ford or Toyota to get a New Tire unlock code, only $299.95!

It was funny watching every major manufacturer flip out and lobby against the Right to Repair bill every time it comes up.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Weatherman posted:

When you say dymo labeller, you mean the clear black type on thin white labels kind and not the "punch whitish letters into green vinyl" kind, right?

Those old squeeze type labellers were the poo poo. Everything had that vintage 50s feel to it when you stuck the white on red labels on it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Siochain posted:

Alright, pissing me off.
Has anyone else run into this, and if so - any solutions?

Disable the search and indexing service in it's entirety. It's the only way to get it to stop using the broken indexes and actually go back and search stuff manually. In outlook that means maybe 5-10 seconds to search a huge multi-GB .OST file, which everyone I've used the fix on agrees is tons better than faster but also wrong search results.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

larchesdanrew posted:

Seriously, gently caress this place right to death. I can't wait to get out of here.

Single page plan "Fail to fix what's broken using money we don't have, spend 10-30% of every grant we're given on things unallowable under the grant terms, blame it all on the underpaid, overworked, and understaffed Information Technology team."

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Ooooh, I know what the problem is! Faulty RAM module!

What's kinda sad is I could see how that could actually cause that specific issue. Try to write an update to the bootloader with bad data in ram, and whoops, now it points to someplace that will never ever boot!

Edit: The only good DrDisrespect videos are the ones where he's slowly melting down because people are trolling him with honking horns in cars.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Renegret posted:

The weird thing about him is that he doesn't actually seem like a bad person. His shtick is to be an rear end in a top hat yes, but really he just feels like a manufactured personality in order to get as many twitch viewers as possible. And it works.

More or less. "I only play an rear end in a top hat on TV" is all well and good, but if that's literally the only time I ever see you I'm gonna assume you're a bad actor and just an rear end in a top hat IRL too.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-c0Libe-k This video is the bestest thing ever, if only for the Blood Dragon Intro.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

dogstile posted:

I dunno if I can really agree with that, I don't assume the absolute loving morons in horror films are absolute loving morons in real life. Case in point, Chris Hemsworth in "Cabin in the Woods" (watch that)

Yeah, but Chris Hemsworth is in other movies and plays other roles. It's also obviously not real, the disconnect is harder to manage when it's reality TV type stuff that Twitch seems to encourage, where being a racist shithead on camera is probably more true to life than 'oh no a crazed killer is on the loose, better split up gang!'.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Siochain posted:

My jealousy is high :P Always been a Martin fan.

Beer gut also doesn't mean in decent shape. I'm also defending my favorite sport.

Curling: The only Olympic sport where the silver medalists all look like various dads out drinking.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

TheParadigm posted:

I think a change of heart like this is usually spurred on by other factors and considerations, and while its certainly nice, I think you're allowed to look the gift horse in the mouth.

Bosses like that only start to change when they're forced to do it. He knows how completely hosed he'd be if you quit and let the staff know that everything wrong with the tech there can be traced to Boss's poor decisions and even more terrible budgeting. Bossman probably had an 'oh fuckkkkk' epiphany at some point and realized how boned he'd be without Larches, and is trying to curry favor and save face the only way he knows how, like a weasel.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Truga posted:

How much would a DR site on the moon cost these days? :v:

Pretty pricey, tapes don't like hot/cold, so you'd need a pretty robust box to store them in long term, with some pretty great AC and heat.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Rorac posted:

I was not even aware these were a thing. I'm just used to getting a series of beeps and googling the motherboard and beep code info.

TBH, I took a crash course in computer repair back in high school, which was over a decade ago, and picked up the rest of what I know from loving around with my own computers. Really, I was just frustrated that that option was disabled, because it being such just wasted a whole bunch of time that didn't need to be wasted.

Those things were so great back in the beige box era of computing.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

notwithoutmyanus posted:

In trying to identify the cause of the poo poo experience, am I missing something between a: outlook not supporting opening an archived PST in a network share and b: the exact same share being used for the pst's also being used for the giant excel files ? Storage/network share folks just sitting saying their poo poo is fine. I'm still wondering why it's identifying it as both CIFS and SMB, if that means something is hosed up in how it's transferring data?

Anything SMB is dogshit once your latency goes above about <1 ms. Once you're outside the local network, SMB goes from kinda ok, to dumpster fire tier in a hurry. Office products are especially bad at it because of how the user experience works, especially with complex cross-linked excel files. Excel will hang outright and just sorta sit there until the file downloads, then it'll open, then lock up resolving every single linked entry to another excel file or external data source. THEN once it's all done, will it load. On a 15MB Xlsx file, that can be upwards of 4 minutes over a 20 mbit VPN link. If the user clicks it a bunch, tries to open it a half dozen times, or force kills it and reopen it, it can corrupt the file hard.

Best solution I've found is DFS shares and a local copy of all files, with a decent replication policy in place.

Outlook and large PSTS over the network is a great way to spend a billion dollars trying to resolve an issue that's best fixed with a good backup policy, local PSTs files, and a ssd for the special snowflakes you just absolutely need 50 years of emails going back to the days of the SPARC mainframe they first sent ASCII nudes to eachother on.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

larchesdanrew posted:

:mad: I don’t want to hear any more. This was poorly planned and I wasn’t adequately informed of the requirements.

:v: It’s in the proposal under “cost comparison.”

:mad: I wasn’t made aware it was in the proposal.

:suicide:

I’m so glad this is going to be someone else’s problem soon.

Perhaps Mrs. English Teacher can help you with your reading comprehension? Or a super condescending, "please hold your questions until the end of the presentation".

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

"Gain one random item from the Customers we Apparently Still Support"

"Damnit! Not another Ring of Token Ethernet, why is this loot table full of so much useless crap?"

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Melbourne needs to be changed back to Batmania right loving now.

Why would you slander Batman's good name by renaming Melbourne in his honor?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Someone’s gonna get guns taken from their cold dead hands

And the nice user lady who just wasn't good with computers is going to cop some really heinous federal charges for failing to follow federal firearms laws.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Fool posted:

I don't remember your specific incident, but most password change forms require you to also type in your current password, which is what allows the system to test that criteria.

The example in the tweet does not do this.

Pretty much this, if the user provides the password in plaintext in the PW change form, you can trivially validate it against the salted hashed stored password, then do all your rule checking using the plaintext copy of new and old password. If it doesn't ask for old password, then yeah password is probably plaintext somewhere.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Super Soaker Party! posted:

You're completely right, it HAS been far too long since I've watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

His smarmy boss is everything wrong with corporate, regardless of industry or company size.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Kaboobi posted:

posting in this thread for the first time in years about how dumb this job is sometimes

https://twitter.com/Kaboobi/status/1017456577715015680

User develops crippling arthritis, blames you for making her take off her magic chakra healing magnet bracelet, sues.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

AlternateAccount posted:

Yep. You get more of what you measure, and that's not necessarily bad(but sometimes it is.) More importantly, in that kind of culture, you will get a lot less of everything else.

When what you measure only tangentially touches on 'good customer service' or 'actually fixing the issue' you end up with a shitshow where nobody likes dealing with IT, especially the people working in IT.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Not as good as bell peppers.

The holy salsa trifecta of jalapenos, onions and tomatoes would like to have words with you.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Yeah, I don't argue with fruits :colbert:

I'll have you know my salsa is ~fabulous~.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

blackswordca posted:

I agree 100%. I got pulled into this project tuesday. It's already months behind schedule and c levels are breathing down the PMs neck. I'll be chatting with my manager tomorrow. I'll let them know I can probably have something rough but this is something that needed to be looked at weeks ago. Not two days before deadline.

Edit: I can't even properly test it when it's working. I only have access to one server out of the 6 processing boxes and access requests have a 1-2 week lag time on them

"I categorically refuse to push a script that hasn't been tested to a production environment. I need expedited access to servers X, Y, Z and W, along with a staging folder made on each server to test the script."

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was told to stop putting in my ticket notes that I used all my resources because it makes us look like we don't know what we're doing (we don't) :negative:

Resources used:
Asked jackass boss, no response.
Attempted prayer, no divine intervention, possibly in secret hell.
Applied profanity to ticket, no response
Queried code debugging rubber duckie, fix suggested did not work
Applied high quality engine part cleaner directly to stomach (Rye flavored!), problem still unresolved
Checked knowledgebase, no valid KB found

All availible resources utilized, unable to resolve, closing per process.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm as loyal to my employer as my employer is to me.

So actively plotting as many 'cost saving' events as possible, via the liberation of office supplies, furniture and computer equipment as you think you can get away with?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Geemer posted:

Now I wonder if some 2.5" HDDs with modified firmware might work as cubesat reaction wheels.

Probably not, sadly. Reaction wheels need to turn in both directions and be able to start and stop very quickly and precisely. That and cubesat space is so hilarious precious you'd never waste it with a sata drive and associated cruft.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SEKCobra posted:

but blaming him for lacking emergency planning is just terrible.

Terribly cost efficient!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PBS posted:

What'd you do, drop all the tables?

rm -rf the wrong folder and it nuked the flat files hosting your critical production facing dbase3 database?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

iospace posted:

Here is my ticket

code:
Need root access to prod

Priority: maximum

I need root access to prod to do testing.  Thanks!

FW:
CC: CEO, CTO, CIO, CPO, Boss's boss, boss, president of the UAE for some reason

Why hasn't this been granted yet??/!? I asked for this weeks ago, and $bigproduct$ will be delayed if this isn't resolved.
code:
Need root access to prod

Priority: maximum

I need root access to prod to do testing.  Thanks!
(sent from my iphone), 5 minutes after sending the first email.