Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I used to read the old thread and not have much to contribute since I didn't really get tickets all that often. Before my current job I was at a help desk so there was a lot but that was before I found the thread, now I'm in development so it was either nil or something like "this client doesn't know how to make a file".

The company got big enough that we decided to get a Product department, so now I have more tickets than are necessary, and about 4~6 times as many meetings. Like I can see the value of breaking up an issue into discrete problems, but the issue won't actually be solved or even testable until all three tickets are done. Granted in the recent example of this one ticket was just the general issue anyway.

Also I know this shouldn't bother me as much as it did but I had some tickets a bit ago that they titled as FTP issues, when the actual problem was we had a new client that wouldn't rename files to match our naming scheme for a custom file processor, and we receive files via ftp. So for a few months I kept getting asked about ftp issues and then even thanked for my work when we received a test file via ftp when I hadn't done anything. I'd like to note that the reason this took so long to resolve is because I had other assignments and the fact they wouldn't rename a file so that we knew what format it was in, instead of "Report [date].doc", caused my boss to mark this as low priority, that plus communication with them was sorta slow, and initially when the problem was discovered they insulted our dev team while talking to our sales guy, so that didn't help.

Unrelated to all that, I've been getting a decent number of tickets where someone has been nesting quotes when they shouldn't, and some others that were CNRs where someone internally was doing something users can't do anyway. "Stop doing that" hasn't been a well received response so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Phuzzy posted:

My dear sweet mother has a printer/fax/copy thing. A good old HP OfficeJet. And the loving thing is 50/50 on whether it will actually ever print over the network. So she's got a USB cable still plugged into it, and she'll just walk herself into the office and plug it in every time she wants to print, but only after angrily trying to network print 4 or 5 times and I am just at my wits trying to diagnose why the hell it doesn't work.

Printers are the loving devil.

Like 2 or 3 years ago I had to set up my mom's printer such that it'd work wirelessly because she turned her office into an art studio and traded the desktop for a laptop. I of course didn't want to do it, so I got really drunk, set-up an old wrt54gl to act as a bridge, did some stuff with the printer configurations I don't remember, and it's worked without a hitch ever since. I refuse to ask questions about it for fear of that acknowledgment somehow causing the whole thing to break *knocks on wood*. Fun fact: the printer's network name is now Spathi instead of Epson-whatever-the-gently caress and often is referred to as such by my mom.