Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, let's not. I know it's hard to believe, but there are black people in tech and I'd venture to guess that they don't enjoy a constant reminder that their ancestors were sold into and brutalized under slavery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If anyone feels strongly about forums modding, I'd encourage you to make a thread in QCS. If you'd rather have a 1-on-1 discussion, I'm more than happy to chat via PMs.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol, I have indeed been in IT management way too long

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good on your boss. That's how you do it.

And you should feel 0 guilt.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

dragonshardz posted:

Panicking about someone sending emails from a Comcast.net account that had been compromised and its display name changed to resemble that of our org.

"What can we do about it?"

Fuckall, that's what.

If it's being sent to your domain, there is stuff like Mimecast's Impersonation Protection that can help to some degree, even for just display names.

https://community.mimecast.com/s/article/Configuring-Impersonation-Protection-Definitions-2027248726

I have had VIPs "tell" me to call the FBI over this. Ahahahaha

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

If you don't have mimecast it is super easy to do this with transport rules.

We killed probably 60% of our phishing e-mails with a transport rule that blocks e-mails trying to impersonate the executive team.

Do you just create a transport rule that blocks anyone with the same exact display name as someone on the exec team?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's a clever solution. Thanks for sharing. Might look into implementing it at the current place.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

IIRC, it's a part of O365 ATP.

Interesting. One of the problems I've had at current place is that they were on the O365 and Azure bandwagon early, so they have all the old defaults and I am not intimately familiar with all the current best practices. Add on some aversion to change as an org, and presto!

Sickening posted:

This is okayish until you figure out someone in the executive team uses their gmail to forward funny things to their coworkers internal email addresses.

Hahaha, yes, for sure. Dealt with that when implementing any sort of impersonation protection. Just took some announcement beforehand and dealing with the fallout. Pros still outweighed the cons.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fair enough, but at least now you know of a potential solution, and actually now I know of two more that are similar to it. Transport rules are free, and if you already have O365 ATP it sounds like there might be some options included there. "Managing up" is a good thing and if you're noticing that sort of thing, it might be worth trying to bring up the ladder.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

We add banners to incoming e-mail. One for all external e-mails and another for any e-mails that fail spf.

A lot of organizations fail spf.

Ugh, I hate those stupid banners.

And if people fail SPF, I put my foot down. Failed SPF doesn't get delivered. It's been around for far too long and it's far too simple. I don't want to hear it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

That's worryingly poor performance from gmail. It should be caught automatically.

ETA: checking again, the vatican is allowing soft-failures. FFS...

Beautiful. I love it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Lazy bosses will always find new ways of being lazy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How does Twitter not have MFA required for his account? How do they not require MFA for all verified accounts? What a dumb world we live in.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Run task manager as admin

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

What's the best way to make sure I stay active on teams?

I use a kvm to shitpost. Since work computer is a laptop, I occasionally reach over and boop the touchpad, but I'm lazy.

Powershell script that presses F15 once a minute.
https://gist.github.com/jcefoli/66dd9e0cdf865a43175d0d48d272b25a

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

A ticket came in...

Asking if any of the computers in my office's lab have optical drives, because the renewal/upgrade for one of our products came on a CD, and the vendor refuses to give us a digital download.

This is why I keep a USB CD/DVD drive on hand.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Knormal posted:

We had an incident a few months ago where someone somewhere in our building plugged in an old printer that had been manually set to a specific IP, one that happened to match a DHCP-reserved PC with special firewall accesses, which of course was immediately knocked offline. There's still other sections at my place who like to reserve a printer's IP in DHCP, but then also hardcode it on the printer itself "just to be safe", and it drives me crazy.

I do DHCP reservations that absolutely need to be set static, just to help keep track of IPs in something that isn't a spreadsheet. But yeah, I am a big proponent of things shouldn't be static unless it's 100% necessary. Printers are not necessary.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

One day IPv4 will be retired and I can finally be on even footing with the superhuman IT folks who can memorize IP addresses.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I used to joke with users that I carried around a hammer in my back pocket so the computers knew what was up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like Mailgun as well

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hit F5 on my Reddit tab.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Honestly, "the internet is down" doesn't even bother me. It's not hard to understand what they mean when they say it. I'm sure many of us have even said "the internet is down" either at home or at work.

Now, "the system is down" is a different story. That one makes me cringe. No, your home page not loading does not mean the system is down. Please don't go around saying that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwZwkk7q25I

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 9, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I couldn't even tell you how many outages I've caused over the years. Once I get things in order I generally have serious uptime, but I have walked into too many places with mounds of technical debt, no documentation, no passwords, etc.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

At one point in my travels I sat not too far from a coffee machine. I don't drink coffee and was sick of people asking me about it, so I created documentation in Confluence and made a QR code that linked to that page. Actually, I did the same thing for the water cooler that would frequently break. I don't think it was super useful, but it was nice to be able to say "scan the QR code" instead of having to get into the ins and outs and fixing kitchen appliances.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Completely understandable.

Our fascination with stuff like names being immutable is beyond dumb. Even back in the day, I remember arguing with my boss that hey, maybe that person that got divorced and changed their last name doesn't want to type in their old last name every day to log into the computer.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's good. Maybe we are making progress, inch by inch. :unsmith:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Get yourself a WAP

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

congrats thread on your new title

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

can't believe how fast that was.

someone reported it, thank you for your service o7

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wasn't sure how to respond to that. I'm not saying don't report stuff. Definitely report stuff. But now when I get a PM or there's a report when I F5, my blood pressure raises. But just like IT, it's better to have a ticket than to not!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, from an organizing perspective I see "working group" often. It's like an informal group to work on an issue, short of a committee. I could see the same use in the business world is larger orgs, but can't say I have. These days we just use words like "pods" or whatever fancy tech term people want to use.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

incoherent posted:

just catching up on all these SHSC threads, which one has the biggest vein of lols from the adobe flash killwitch event.

You know, I didn't see too much discussion on this. A couple of people who laughed at other departments or whatever, but it didn't seem like a very significant event.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I got my mom a Nixplay picture frame and I have it linked to a Google Photos album that I can throw photos in and have them automatically upload to it. She likes that. We live far apart and don't see each other often, so it's a good way to share stuff with her.

Of course she also started taking pictures from local Facebook photographers, pictures around her area, and adding those to it. But hey, I'm just happy she's enjoying it and actually took a moment to learn how to add her own photos.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

AlexDeGruven posted:

Isn't this basically mod-sass?

If you're that low level and you're refusing to listen to the higher up on day 1, that's a quick way to unemployment.

Regional IT Director doesn't sound that low level to me. If you don't push back on users you will create a really poo poo culture that you'll never be able to get out from under. Almost every job I've gone into involved properly setting expectations because the previous person(s) sucked at it and they made their lives living hell.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

I think that they were saying the user calling in and demanding to be coddled over the phone is the low-level person, not kensei.

That makes more sense! Thank you. :)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah! My bad. I read it as Kensei saying they were dealing with the user transition and this person was separate from that. Part of my confusion was that from my perspective these weren't "day 1 users."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't ever call anyone by their title, or their last name. gently caress that poo poo, life is too short and you should be glad I can remember your name.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

dragonshardz posted:

There's been a spate of people at work who're reporting an issue connecting to their WiFi while our VPN (PAN GlobalProtect) is active. Since it's an always-on VPN, because government, there's not much we can do except blame the ISP when the device works fine on site.

Apparently AT&T has told more than one fiber site that VPNs "aren't supported" which is some hot mcfuckin' bullshit.

Are you using split-tunnel VPN? Does traffic to internal resources work, but internet does not?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not going to rage-out if someone sends me "hey Internet Explorer," but at the same time, it is basic digital etiquette to include some basic info. It shows a respect for people's time and allows them to prioritize. If you don't include some detail, I am going to assume it is not that important to you and I am not going to interrupt myself from what I am doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

dragonshardz posted:

I definitely prefer it if, when someone messages me, they get right into the reason for said message.

"hi, when you have a minute, i have a question about $thing."

It's beautiful. We've figured it out.