Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I've made a bridge for everyone to join to discuss and collaborate on the ongoing issues around the thread migration. I won't be joining as I have other duties to attend to committing boardroom seppuku

-- Do not delete or change any of the following text. --

Join WebEx meeting
Meeting number (access code): 555 123 456
Meeting password: buttfart

Join from a video system or application
Dial 555321654@webex.deadgayforums.net

Join by phone
1-900-555-5555 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada)
1-555-555-1234 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
Toll-free calling restrictions

Can't join the meeting?

If you are a host, go here to view host information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that this WebEx service allows audio and other information sent during the session to be recorded, which may be discoverable in a legal matter. By joining this session, you automatically consent to such recordings. If you do not consent to being recorded, discuss your concerns with the host or do not join the session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Client put a request in a month ago to load balance their Exchange 2013 servers on a Netscaler, and get a process down for adding Exchange 2016 servers when they're built. I go guide hunting and co-worker poking, find out all 9 of the web services (along with the SMTP and IMAP ports) that need to be load balanced, prep a document with every step I'd need to take (over 100 lines of commands to paste in to the cli), and get ready to do it all today.

Client posted:

Oh we just need SMTP load balanced, we've got a hybrid setup with O365

Did it all in like 11 commands...

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Aragaith posted:

Someone or something just locked out every ones accounts at 4:30pm today. For a hospital that has ambulatory sites in a nearly 100 mile radius. Over 4000 user accounts disabled in AD and as far as I'm hearing right now there is currently no way to unlock them. No computer login means no EMR. The downtime solution doesn't really take this into account. I'm only slowly getting the play by play of the 3 hour long conference call going on right now. The word of the day is shitshow.

There's a virus out there that will try to brute force every AD account it can find. Last time I heard of it infecting a network the only way they could do anything was being lucky enough to have someone with domain admin still logged in with ADUC already up so they could unlock their own account every time they wanted to try something.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

In Pennsylvania it's possible to drive from Blue Ball, through Intercourse, and end in Paradise within an hour or so.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

One of my coworkers at my new job told me the story of how they used to not have any spam filters in place, and that people would spend 15-20 minutes in the morning just cleaning out spam. He saw how much time people were wasting on this and puts in the first spam filter, which does a pretty good job and cuts out almost all of it.

It took a while for the "I'm not getting any email" tickets to die down.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

My parents house is a few miles off a road that connects two parallel interstate highways that truckers sometimes take if they need to switch which highway they're on. Occasionally they get lost and end up trying to turn down my parents road and ripping out their phone line since the road really wasn't made for tractor trailers.

My mom has had to call Verizon multiple times about this, and every time she's had to argue that the problem isn't her dsl modem, the problem is the phone line with the torn off end laying in her front yard. At least it's been the same contractor coming out to fix it and since he knows exactly what he's in for he comes prepared and gets it done quick.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Way before I started here, marketing purchased an email marketing service and even though the admin fought it they eventually won out and we had to add their mx records to our dns so they could send email as us.

Fast forward to yesterday and now some external emails are ignoring the priority on the mx records (or mimecast's servers are randomly becoming unresponsive) and trying to relay the email through the marketing service servers and getting 550'ed. I want to use this as an excuse to tell marketing to get another service but I'm getting overruled :(

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Whatever poo poo rear end service marketing purchased wanted mx records. Why do you think I want to get rid of them?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

They're already in the spf record, but they wanted those mx records and wouldn't budge and marketing eventually won that battle.

We took out their mx records anyway, we'll see if they notice.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

"I'm trying to change the default application for .txt and it's not staying after I logoff."

"What are you trying to change it to?"

"Excel"

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

nexxai posted:

One thing I discovered recently is that if you open a CSV in Excel and don't Save As a UTF-8 CSV format, it ends up saving as a tab-separated TXT file. I don't know what the gently caress happened, whether MS changed something in Office or if I'm a loving retard (or both; probably both) but I can kind of understand it if this person deals with a lot of CSVs.

This is probably the case (he's trying to do the same with .csv), but it doesn't stop my Excel PTSD from flaring up.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Entropic posted:

That doesn't seem that useful for situations where the run turns out to be hundreds of feet.

BTW this is what "the hole" turned out to be:

I saw that in a movie. It was called As Above, So Below and half the group going in died.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

An emergency ticket came in, a client's only Citrix server powered off in the middle of the day and now nobody can work!

Boot it back up, check the event logs and find the shutdown event.

Started by the person who filled the ticket.

Who has domain admin on their domain.

:holy:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

"Yeah I know some stuff about sql databases since they're pretty important to Citrix and it won't hold your hand on setting one up at all" Me and my big stupid mouth just told everyone I'm a DBA apparently. Yeah I know exactly why your transact log is spiking overnight and causing log_backup to fail no I'm not just increasing its size limit and hoping it goes away why would you say that.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Had a SQL server this morning randomly lose its SPNs. No idea why it happened, setspn -L <servername> listed them like normal, but absolutely nothing could connect to it using integrated security. Deleting and recreating them would let it work for about a minute before connections threw SSPI errors again. Nothing but successes in the security event logs (yes, that means everything gave a result of 0x0), even for events I know failed. Rebooting the server fixed it. The only thing we caught was reverse lookup for the IP went to a different hostname, which was fixed early on but resolved nothing until we had a window to reboot 2 hours later.

Client would like an RCA and I got nothing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Ticket 1 came in:

Ticket 1 posted:

User: Our websites aren't working in the Citrix desktops, is something wrong?

Me: Can I get the addresses of these websites so I can check?

User, 1hr later: Nevermind, they're working.

Ticket 2 came in a day later:

Ticket 2 posted:

User: The websites are down again, please check the Citrix desktops.

Me: What are the addresses of these websites.

User: Nevermind, they're working again. Any idea why this keeps happening?

Me: I DON'T KNOW YOU WON'T GIVE ME ANY loving INFO YOU STUPID Can't tell without seeing it happen, can I get a list of the websites so I can quick check them if it happens again?

User: :silent:

I need a new career. These games are really starting to get under my skin.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

A server is running low on space on a data drive, so I fire an email off to the server owner going "hey, this is gonna fill up pretty soon". Get a response back saying "it shouldn't grow any more, don't worry about it." Historical data says otherwise (it's been growing by about 2gb every day at midnight) so I dig a little a deeper and find... nothing good.

There's a SQL express DB that lives on that drive, and the admin decided to be proactive and schedule nightly backups of the DB. Except that version of SQL express doesn't have maintenance plans, so he set up a backup object, then a batch file that calls the object through sqlcmd every night, and then another batch file that deletes backup files older than 10 days. Been running like this since the beginning on September. Should be cycling out its backups, yeah?

Except when that admin set up the backup object, they set it to write to the same file, every time. Just a single .bak, growing by 2gb every night, always updating its modified by date so it never gets deleted.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

"Woah we got multiple tickets coming in from this client there might be a major issue can I get your eyes on this? I sent you one."

Two. Two tickets came in. You gave me a corrupt profile ticket that the helpdesk knows how to fix.

We have a damned moron handling incoming tickets, and I can't wait for my boss to drop the hammer on splitting my team off so this dumbass can't send tickets to us directly anymore.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

Adobe connect still relies on flash and shockwave in 2020....

Citrix has a module that requires Silverlight to work with. No sign of progress moving it to something sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

Not quite as unfortunate as some of these, but I run in to CLitweiler occasionally at one of my clients and the name always makes me giggle like an idiot.