Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Is this thread ITIL compliant? Agile? Cloud-based? Management wants to make sure we’re doing what they’re reading about in magazines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Of course not! Most of it was rewritten in .net just last year!
I was going to guess you worked for IBM and were talking about Notes until you said it was rewritten. IBM is never dragging that corpse out of Eclipse/Java.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
My dad was guilty of this for the longest time as well. Their browser's homepage was set to Google, so my dad would open up the browser, type the URL he wanted into the Google search bar instead of the address bar, hit enter, and click the first result. Now he mostly remembers to use the address bar and cut out the middle man.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I am equally cranky when greedy people do stupid things.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

and by "respond better to texts than e-mails" what I really mean is that we used to use nextels, and our field techs are set in their ways and are super resistant to change.

I actually miss those nextels
Because of the quality of the devices, right? Not because of that godawful annoying PTT.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Virigoth posted:

I think there is a Nextel app you can get that mimics functionality.
If this is produced or officially sanctioned by Sprint/Nextel i hope they go out of business faster than they already are.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Marcade posted:

Question, IT goons: is this bad? I think it's bad.

I hope it's not a Buffalo drive
The mapped drives should have more descriptive names :argh:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

I didn't know invoke-command could take an array, I've been wrapping it in a foreach
If I had to troubleshoot someone else's script, I'd prefer the foreach. Just helps make the logic that much more legible. If I'm slapping together something that I'm going to use once or nobody else will need to see, I'll pass the array.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 27, 2018

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

One year ago I posted this to Facebook.

That means, most likely, one year ago I posted this on this thread too

https://i.imgur.com/89RMkVf.gifv
I just actually made this face :stonk: until I saw Hellmann’s on the tube.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Panthrax posted:

Reminds me of my field ops guy who pulled the wrong hard drive out of my SAN. You know, the one that I said "pull drive 11, the one at the bottom right corner" and he pulled 10. His response? "Oh, sorry, I heard one time that PC equipment you start counting at 1 instead of 0. Guess I should have asked first." You know, or looked at the little loving picture that tells you what each drive number is.
At IBM the wisdom was “we start counting from 0 except when we start from 1, we count left to right except when we count right to left, and we count top to bottom except when we count bottom to top”

RTFM.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

There's a place in my city that isn't AT&T or Comcast that is selling fiber and I'm extremely interested, but I'm not in their area. Fine. Last week, I got one of their flyers hung on my front door and I called, kinda excited, but no, still not available in my neighborhood. Wtf
We have a homegrown fiber ISP here in Rochester, Greenlight Networks, that grows their network based on real demand rather than speculation. So they actually rely on neighborhoods to get together and advertise for them. The word of mouth advertising is very effective, as it becomes a first-person testimonial rather than a Spectrum or Frontier billboard essentially telling you that you're stuck with them. When a given area gets enough Greenlight sign-ups, they build it out. That way they cover the costs of getting the infrastructure in place as well as ensuring profitability. Could be the doorhanger you got was something similar.

I get 100 down/20 up for $50/month, and I pay an extra $10 for a public IP (most folks are behind NAT)

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Wait, like, Rochester, NY? I wonder what it would take for them to expand to Buffalo? I'd kill an orphan to be free from the expense of Verizon. Rock solid connection, but it's twice the price as your Greenlight Networks, and my only other choice is Spectrum, and I'll fornicate myself with a red hot flail before I go back to them.
I know Buffalo is on their list of "potential" areas of expansion, but I have no idea if or how they would consider getting out there. You could always inquire, their customer service is pretty responsive. https://www.greenlightnetworks.com/

wolrah posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

Yes this is unfortunately a thing. Rather than doing things right and pushing IPv6 harder a bunch of ISPs decided that adding more NAT to the world was a better idea.
Prefacing this with the fact that I'm just a customer and don't know anything about their decision making or how the network is actually designed, but this was probably the path of least resistance for them and their customers. They initially assigned everyone a public IP, but then grew extremely quickly as folks flocked to someone that wasn't Spectrum or Frontier, and ran out of IPv4 space (I remember the announcement). It was likely simpler for them and less impactful on customer hardware to start NATting than it was to transition the network to IPv6.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Office 2010 was the best office. Seriously.
2013/2016 are theoretically as good or better, but when Office 2010 was current Microsoft still had QA staff and didn’t just poo poo out a massive patch rollup every month and hope their developers didn’t gently caress up too badly.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
e:f;b

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Received this email yesterday:

"I’m unable to access my email at the remote office. When I plug in the internet cord, my files on my network folder come up. But my internet isn’t working when I click on my outlook. But I’m able to access websites. I’m not sure what the issue is."

Please note that Outlook is not installed on her PC, and the email was sent from her work email account.
:psyduck: Any chance the PC has survived OS version upgrades and somehow has Outlook Express on it?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Westworld is back and let us use this show to remember it could always be worse.
Coming up next season: Westworld’s management implements ITIL and all the robots give up and kill themselves rather than do all the paperwork.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

I feel like I'm the only voice of reason in a sea of idiots.
New thread title.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

To be fair, this is the industry norm. You'll be hard pressed to find an ISP that doesn't have an identical story.
My ISP is a new local business that’s less than a decade old and started to provide fiber to the home because the alternatives (Time Warner and Frontier) are hot garbage. :smug:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

Pretty sure I had Bellog’s Korn Flikes as a poor kid.
It came in a bag and not in a box and there were never any cartoon characters or prizes :argh:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

ookiimarukochan posted:

Nah it was always run by a bunch of Nathan Barley types fixated on the idea that no one outside Shoreditch "gets" the web.
American translation much appreciated, please and thank you.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

But maybe it's time to just flag every external email with a massive "this was sent from outside the company" banner.
Our security team just implemented it and it drives me nuts because now you can’t see anything worthwhile in the message preview when you get a new Outlook notification

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I think you mean page 1.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Compaq Armada
This was such a good product line

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Holy god I am just about ready for infrastructure tech companies to come up with a new naming scheme

"Our Blackduck scan turned up a problem with the Bluecat entry for the Redfish API"

:fuckoff:
Onefish - available(?)
Twofish - taken
Redfish - taken
Bluefish - taken

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Roughly when did fun server names go from entertaining to nuisance? Is it a scale thing? Do small shops still do it because they can remember that Doc is DNS and Dopey is mail and Sneezy is files? I've been in midsize and large orgs for the past quite a while and we just use names that are useful in determining the server's location and role.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Yeah, this is a big problem. Customer emails in 'hey our phones are down please check on and reboot the SCCM servers if necessary'
Bitch you have 50 servers named after stuff in Harry Potter, how the gently caress am I supposed to know which ones handle that? It just adds time and confusion to requests and tasks. If you're going to insist on doing it that way you need to give us the names of the servers you have concerns about.
SCCM would obviously be Flitwick. GOSH.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Today I superseded forty .bat files that each contained the global admin password in plain text with a single powershell script.
Blessed be PowerShell :cheers:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

dragonshardz posted:

gently caress inkjets. Why? I'll tell you why.
This feels like a PS/PCL meets drivers issue.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A ticket came in.

It appeared to come from a legit Citrix email so I asked the sender to let me take a look at the email header info. Then my boss intervened and said it is clearly a phishing scam and that the user must permanently delete the email at once.
Well it's not a phishing scam. It's just a terrible email.

e: and as punishment for pointing out the fact that he was wrong I am now being told to investigate "how they could have their company email to sign up with ShareFile"

double edit: case closed

This was so annoying. Two days prior to this email I onboarded like 30 new ShareFile users, and now they think ShareFile is annoying crap because of this instead of the legitimately good tool that it is. Our KnowBe4 training has apparently been going well though because a lot of people reported these messages as phishing to the point that our IT Security came over to verify with me that it was legit because they got so many flags.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
If this is true I hope Trump starts another branch of the military called Goose Force that kills and abandons one goose on every square meter of land in the USA.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Oracle^IBM is literally the worst thing I can imagine. I want to know how the procurement process worked because there’s no way IBM integrating an Oracle product was the lowest bidder.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Nevermind, this was a better question for the Enterprise Windows thread and Sirotan already had a fix there.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 9, 2019

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Just a subtle beep every 30 seconds or so is enough, so that I know the call hasn't dropped
NetApp does this, except it was at the strangest interval. Either 14 or 17 seconds, I don't remember which.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

How bored did you get that you measured the time in the first place?! Keep in mind we've likely all been there and this is a safe place.
I used to do contract field service for them, so I spent a lot of time on hold waiting for remote support to analyze logs, etc. So I got very, very bored.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I much prefer normal hold music over hold music that stops every 30 seconds to play an ad from the company.
It’s worst when the pause between the music and the ad is just long enough to get your hopes up that someone has just picked up the phone.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
We don’t do chargebacks or anything but some upper management decided that they wanted to rebrand IT as a service organization without doing any of the heavy lifting of properly implementing ITIL/ITSM so now users/coworkers/colleagues are arbitrarily customers. Achievement unlocked.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

bring back l o t u s n o t e s
I’m currently curled up in a ball on the bathroom floor at work shaking with terror that someone might read this and do it.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Same but Novell Groupwise.
Hey Groupwise was actually good. Far, far better than the equivalent Notes or Exchange of its era.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

I’ve hosed up by turning off the wrong server before, but having the ability to turn off or break a service for the entire world is next level paranoia-inducing.
I‘m always kind of awestruck at scale like this. What service? Or if you can’t give the name of the service what are some things we might notice go offline?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

It's cool, someone's just streaming.
It’s UDP, not every drop has to make it to the destination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

Halfway through reading this I thought you were working for Michael Scott.
There had better be figs at this party