Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I do all my shitposting in Production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
They were taking X-Rays by making the patients stand on their heads?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Lol larch stop proposing things.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

larchesdanrew posted:

I bitch about him but I love this school, man. It’s been such a huge influence on my life, especially growing up. It changes lives and I want to see it continue succeeding. I’m not going to let my hatred of this guy stop me from trying to make this place the best it can be. If I can set some plans in motion before I leave that the next guy can pick up, then that’s what I’ll do :shrug:

That's admirable and fingers crossed you leave some plans behind that lead to progress

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Weedle posted:

Yeah I think the bigger question here is why the “server room” is also the water heater closet

It was sold to them as a water cooling solution.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
I spent about 2 months putting together a server naming convention and getting management buy-in, only to result in my own manager not using it and everyone continuing to use hard-coded IPs anyway.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
My coworker: "Why don't we document our static IPs in our password manager? We used to do this."

Me: "Password manager is for passwords. The static IPs are already documented on SharePoint plus our assets tool. Why do you want it documented in a third place that we now have to manage and keep track of?"

I sense im going to lose this battle.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

The Fool posted:

While your second argument is better, any password manager worth a poo poo is going to support arbitrary data and can be used to store any potentially sensitive information.

1password support 18 different data types, including just adding a document, and most of the data types support custom fields.

Keepass lets you create templates using custom fields and allows you to attach documents to any entry.

Oh I agree, and I've been trying to get my company to move towards a more robust, centralized solution. Just that when you have an aging IT staff who've never thought about security its a constant uphill battle.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
We had our monthly call with our Microsoft TAM today, he informed us that all meetings going forward will now be Teams meetings so he's sending a new calendar invite.

Teams is happening folks, don't fight it.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
I think we have more VMs than employees at a relatively small company. We should just give every employee their own server, hand 'em out like Oprah.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Zil posted:

Anyone going to try to carry a printer home?

Yes yes, I'll carry the printer home for you, m'CTO.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
Give everyone domain admin and let it burn.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf
The only acceptable unit of measurement is Kelvin so we can accurately measure the inevitable heat death of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

Hair Elf

Geemer posted:

> [SPAM] FW: RE: The logs could do with a courtesy flush