Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CPA client emailing us repeatedly on December 31st about her QB timer not working.

Lady, I can't tell you how much of a poo poo I don't give.

Also welcome the new thread same as the old thread. I look forward to rereading this post in 4 years when this thread closes and laughcrying about my lack of forward pro--oh who are we kidding I'll be drunk off my rear end probably and won't be able to read good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Kurieg posted:

Don't forget the time Keurig tried to make a Keurig for Pop.

Username/post combo

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sheep posted:

It'd be a lot weirder if the cables went out, made an immediate 90 degree turn, and then went straight back in to the unit above/below instead of that graceful curve they've got going on.

With 6" cables it works out, because a 6" cable actually only has about 4.5" of actual cable between the boots - the 1" vertical or so drop between a switchport and the patch panel port below it means that you only have 1.5" out and back in, and since cables obviously aren't going to do actual 90 degree bends (unless you force them to because you're a moron electrician), they end up having a nice curve to them. Also the ports don't necessarily line up completely - most switches have their ports closer together horizontally than patch panels do, so the ones near the edge actually curve out a bit to get to the edge of the patch panel. (I mean, we're talking fractions of inches, but it seems to be enough for your mom).

Besides which, the whole point of doing that (other than never having to trace cables or manage them) is to get higher density in the rack - if you have 1U blanking panels that kind of destroys the increase in density you fought so hard to achieve.

Increase in density is also my pet name for our FNG.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

a bunch of people posted:

fiserv

loving triggered, as the kids say. Anyone used Stone River WCMS? That's....oh boy. Ask me about their poo poo software running SMB1 over WAN, and by WAN I mean to a datacenter in Florida or Pennsylvania from California. On second thought, don't ask me because it's too early in the day to crack the scotch.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

They’re probably not wrong.

Yeah sometimes it's the far better choice.

Like this client I'm doing it for who have a Windows 2000 domain with all FSMO roles living on long-decommissioned DCs (and by decommissioned I just mean turned off, natch, not actually decommed) with servers on the domain running such an old version of Oracle that Oracle has said they're happy to sell the client extended support (because, Larry) but they don't actually have anyone who would know how to fix it anymore. Plus any and all other misconfiguration problems you can imagine in a W2k domain that's still being used in the year 2018.

So yeah.....

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

DigitalMocking posted:

I present without comment:

"Provide Engineering with a Linux machine they can configure as needed to satisfy current and future requirements for Engineering-specific network services on the internal <COMPANY> corporate network.

The initial need is to have an official, backed-up location for the new <COMPANY> Internal Vagrant (Virtual Machine) Cloud. This service is currently provided by an nginx http daemon running on a Raspberry Pi 3 in <USER>'s cubicle. The level of configuration detail and the agility with which changes need to be made require this machine to be administrated by Engineering."

We are a 350+ person company. This request was approved.

While this is of course utter and complete bullshit, can you at least tell "engineering" something like "listen here fuckos, here's your VM, and I've got it backed up regularly. The sum total of support requests you can make to me regarding this VM is A) can you reboot it or B) can you restore a backup from a specific date. I will summarily ignore any and all other requests pertaining to it because as I'm sure you can understand I have no knowledge of how it works and will not be responsible for any issues it has".

I mean that assumes you have management backing you on that, which considering the request was approved may not be the case, but yeah it's not worth being loving responsible for other people's crap on top of them shoving their crap on your infrastructure in the first place.

Currently dealing with a very similar situation - rear end in a top hat developer started up a MongoDB instance on his desktop machine because and I quote "it has an SSD and is faster than the server", which while possibly true (currently their VM host server only has spinning disks) doesn't mean you loving set up production infrastructure on your desktop, it means we need to get flash storage if that's the requirement. And the database borked itself this morning - rear end in a top hat developer was fired a few weeks ago which on the one hand I approve of, but on the other it means the rest of the developers are trying to push that pile of poo poo on us to fix, which.....no. :fuckoff:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

DigitalMocking posted:

so they'd turn on mDNS.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

evobatman posted:

It will technically Power On Self Test, and then it will fail the Power On Self Test with a beep code or diagnostic light. In that sense it does post, but nothing more.

It's been literally 20 years since I've done that kind of testing with components (and I'm not that old - this was a computer camp when I was young, no I didn't play sports as a kid how did you know?), but boy do I remember beep codes. I mean I don't remember which code is which, because that would be spergalicious and I think also changes from board to board, I just remember testing components one by one and getting different codes. And then I remember five years later when someone showed me a POST code PCI board and I was like "well beep codes can just go ahead and gently caress right off because this is clearly superior".

So get a POST code thing, or buy a motherboard that has one built in (I think a bunch of high-end gaming ones do so you can see exactly what's loving up when you overclock it to 88 GHz in order to see some serious poo poo).

edit: this doohickey

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Lightning Jim posted:

I don't think I've ever NOT seen major problems when people upgrade to a new VMware release on GA. So many bugs pop up that end up getting squashed by U1

Also I mean you have to wait for Veeam to update to support it anyway so I don't understand who all these people are upgrading vCenter week one.

I mean I suppose it's outwardly possible there are people who don't use Veeam but surely people can't be that stupid </veeamzombie>

(join us)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MF_James posted:

This sounds too good to be true, was your boss literally satan? I mean, with this job you don't even need boat money, they let you borrow the boat!

The dirty secret was that they also held exit interviews aboard Meeting.

"I know it was you Fredo".

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Methanar posted:

How much is your time worth relative to buying 50 premade cables of standard length off monoprice

?

JB's talking about his new house, and punching down infrastructure cables to patch panels. Are you seriously suggesting he run premade patch cables through walls and direct connect to computers on one end and his switch on the other? Just because it's a house doesn't mean you have to treat it like rocks and trash you need to sweep up.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Methanar posted:

A bit rude.

I missed the part about it being for a house and assumed it was making custom length cables for a DC. I'd still suggest using these types of keystone in your wall plates and premade cables rather than doing it yourself. It's likely the same price in the end after buying a good crimping tool. https://www.amazon.com/VICTEK-Femal...n%3A15562490011

You're right, I was grumpy because my boss signed up one client last week that's hired us to do a complete infrastructure migration from Microsoft-land to cloud-based everything, and THEN he signed up a lolholyshithuge client two days ago, and we're starting at that client Tuesday. So I'm working this entire weekend scrambling to get a whole bunch of poo poo in order at our OTHER clients so that Tuesday is only "gently caress me running" levels of awful instead of "blow my brains out" level. Anyway I shouldn't have been that snippy about it (haha, snippy get it because punching down cables :downsrim: ) and I'm sorry. I thought the sweeping joke was good though.

That said, I still don't agree with using pre-made cables in walls - infrastructure should be punched down. Patch cables, gently caress no, Monoprice it is, but in-wall cabling (well, that's ALSO Monoprice, just bulk cable and punchdown jacks).

edit: never don't use wired connections. Maybe it's just because I also throw around a lot of media (unprocessed video & audio recordings, so actual giant files, not MP3s), but wireless as a main form of connection would be awful in my house and I have 802.11ac APs connected at gig.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Geemer posted:

It's just one field. Child's play, really. You're an expert, aren't you?

You're completely right, it HAS been far too long since I've watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

klosterdev posted:

Controlled power outage to install solar panels. Shut down all non-critical infrastructure. UPS shields at 21% and falling. Work is complete and half of our critical infrastructure going down is currently reliant on the power company showing up within the next hour to turn everything back on.

Fuckin read only friday. Murder anyone who disagrees.

(he says, currently waiting for a client's full backup to finish so he can get started upgrading a VmWarE cluster).

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Dell's hardware was great, though. That monitor lasted like 12 years, and the speakers survived even longer, I didn't replace them until I knocked a full very large class of water into one of them.

:confused:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

It is fashionable here to have a fifth of something fancy on your desk out for drive-bys to “sample”. Some folk even have wood casks on their desk for aging their liquor further.

It’s out in the open and no one seems to care one way or another. Again, it’s a function of our org treating its adult professionals like adult professionals. It’s refreshing and one of the reasons why I’ve stuck around as long as I have.

I feel like someone's asked you this before, but what's your take on the article a while ago claiming you were the new sweatshop, everything was awful, people were driven to tears on the reg, etc? Or is AWS very different from the rest of the place?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Yeah I was wondering about this too. This seems like entirely a money grab by electricians, unless their justification is that increased PoE standards mean that low voltage is no longer low power and thus it should be governed by the electrical code?

In true Internet fashion I didn't bother researching anything about this before posting so now I'm just angry at a TRUE FACT based on somethingsomeguyonaforumsaid HOW DARE THE ELXTRICITNOANS UNION!!! ONIONS SUCK! DOWN WITH UONIONS!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

So sorry for implying I hate onions. I'm actually a shill for Big Onion in my other life, and have long insisted that the best pizza is onion/mushroom. Possibly with sausage and/or green peppers. When I was young I actually just had onion pizza, like, that was it, other than sauce and cheese. Oh yeah. That's the poo poo.

Anyway onions are great EAT ONIONS.

But also perhaps breathmints.

fakeedit: now I want onion pizza

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

SlowBloke posted:

So they pretty much copied ubiquiti unifi phones strategy with the same grade of success :V

Kinda been wondering about those phones. Also about Meraki's. Has anyone actually used the Meraki ones? Are they any good?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Since I kicked off phone chat I guess I should have mentioned that we currently use 3CX with Yealink phones, which seems to be a great blend of usability, features, and so far reliability. (And the price is absurdly low, plus it's software so we're not tied to some loving proprietary hardware box, the concept of which is insane to me in 2018 for VOIP since it's just loving IP traffic - yeah it needs QoS and blah blah, but it's not magic packets). 3CX itself seems to be the little PBX that could but that no one's ever heard of. I've been concerned about it because it wants to be on the Internet, as in not NATted but have a bunch of ports actually exposed, but so far it seems OK (well and we don't open SIP except to the provider, the smartphone apps all use a 3CX proprietary tunnel on port 5090).

But we're moving to it from loving ancient Cisco CMEs, so not having to deal with the Cisco configs and lovely IE6-only GUI is real fuckin nice.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

guppy posted:

That's because toners aren't for that. Toners are for identifying and locating wires. Some of them, like Fluke's Intellitone 200, will tell you if a wire is open or something, but to actually prove that a cable performs to specification, you need a cable certifier. They test much more than wire map and will test for things like NEXT and return loss. They are fantastic and anyone pulling or testing data cabling should have one, but they are expensive, much more so than a toner. A really good toner is a couple hundred bucks. The cheapest good copper cabling certifier I know of is still thousands and thousands of dollars.

I can terminate a cable on request that will pass a wire map test but won't meet Cat6 performance standards. The most important thing about a certifier is that a calibrated tester operated by a certified operator is unimpeachable. If you show a contractor a certified test result that says their result fails, that's the end of the story. There's no arguing, the cable failed. A reputable cable vendor will have one of their own and provide certification results at the end of the job. Don't hire someone to do data work if they can't or won't provide that certification. This is one reason I don't like to hire electricians to do data work; they usually don't have one, don't know what it is, don't have anyone certified to operate it -- not that it's difficult, especially for copper -- and definitely won't pay to get either one.

Sigh. What a timely discussion, annoyingly enough.

I just had a project come up for my side gig, one that I tried to avoid, and gave them a fuckyou price to get them to go away, but they decided they still wanted it. The project is to reterminate about 60 drops (wires, not locations), into new patch panels, put in a four post rack and mount the patch panels / gear in it, and patch/wire everything. They're going to end up paying me about $200/hr (I hope, assuming I don't take forever - I'm normally a sysadmin not a cable puncher, and in case that comes out wrong, what I mean is I have utmost respect for those guys that can just line up the cables and punch them down bam bam bam - I'm not that guy because I do it so infrequently and the last major wiring project I did was the 48 drops in my house. In 2011).

So I'm pondering using some of the money from the project to get a certifier, and yes, I know the entry level ones are $2-3k. My question is, after staring at reviews for a while, what would you recommend? The Fluke range appears to have been sold off to another company, and the few reviews of the newer models don't seem promising (poo poo like the thing can only store reports for 50 cables and it takes hours to download them to a PC). There's the Ideal Navitek, but reviews of that aren't great either. Any certifiers that are actually worth the money in that range?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

Have you looked at the Viavi range? The company is what became of JDSU and telcos use their DSL stuff pretty much without exception.

On the one hand: Thants!

But on the other, their Certifier10G, which looks like the lowest-end copper certifier, seems to be streeting around $8k. Which is, uh, a fair chunk more than I want to pay. I'm basically wondering if there's anything just up from the Intellitone that will certify gigabit (don't even need 10g) and is less than $3k, that's worth it.

So thants but no thants.

(But no seriously, thants for at least alerting me to them, I hadn't heard of them before and it's good to know about at least).

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Hrm, maybe I just go with a tester rather than certifier, in that case. The LanTEK is a bit more in the price range, but since I don't plan to do this stuff often it probably isn't worth it. I just wanted something a little better than "yup it's electrically connected". The NaviTEK was already something I'd been looking at and the cost is definitely doable.

It seems a bit crazy how much more the certifiers are. Don't get me wrong, I'd be the first to yell at someone for going "why should I pay $5000 for an enterprise switch when this $500 Zyxel switch has all the same specs", and I understand that good gear, especially when it's a specialized field, costs money. But on the other hand, there's lots of examples of specialized gear not really being all that special in terms of the actual equipment, and you're just paying a premium for it being specialized and because "that's just what it costs". And these days, testing that a cable can reach gigabit speeds seems doable with two laptops and iperf. What exactly justifies thousands more for what looks like a jumped-up Android tablet in a rubberized case with a network testing app?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

guppy posted:

a bunch of helpful stuff

Thanks! This is incredibly useful info. I definitely was wondering about renting one of these things, because yeah, I don't really want to spend $8k much less $60k for what's essentially a one-off (I don't plan to do much more of this kind of work if I can help it). I'll take a look at what that would cost around here to rent, but frankly it may just end up that I get a tester like the NaviTEK, which I WOULD in fact use other times than just this project, and call it good - the install I'm doing is not for a particularly demanding client so I don't think they'll be expecting a certification or anything more than basic test results.

I suppose all that information could justify the specialized chipset / test equipment and cost inside the certifier - still does seem outrageous especially for the Fluke level, but I suppose if you're doing drops day in day out it pays for itself pretty quickly (especially with the ability to say later "no gently caress off it certified fine whatever problem you're having now is not my responsibility").

TheParadigm posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say that your money is best spent, for this project, in just buying the time of someone who already has the certification gear and getting them to double check your drops.

It may be a chunk of cash for a subcontractor's hourly, but its probably less than buying new,but on the flip side you might get lucky and could rent one/borrow one instead. (by which i mean think of it as 'rental with a chaperone')

Yeah I'm definitely coming to agree on that point, but I'll talk to the client and frankly maybe even say I'll do basic testing but they need to pay for someone to certify after the install, with any fixes charged at extra hours at that point. I made it clear up front this was not really my usual work and that I'm not a wiring contractor, but I guess even my "go away" price was still cheaper than whatever other quotes he got, which is...ummmm. Guess there's something to be said for being able to charge $boat in the Bay Area. Something to keep in mind for future.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

Ok, I will tell you a TCP joke.

This sequence (yuk yuk) is like shave and a haircut was to Roger Rabbit - any self-respecting IT person can't help but ACKnowledge it and kneejerk respond with the next line.

Edit: "OK I'll hear a TCP joke" SON OF A BITCH I HAD ALMOST SUCCESSFULLY NOT POSTED THE NEXT LINE

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Weatherman posted:

I hope it was "Red Alert".

Related: I want one of those big gently caress-off red buttons on my desk that when I smash it, it starts blasting Red Alert through the office and triggers a bunch of rotating red lights.

Not gonna lie, when I read "blasting Red Alert" I thought you meant Hells March.

Which frankly I'd love to blast through the office of the client from hell (ironic considering who they are) that I've been dealing with over the last two weeks.

And by blast through the office, I mean have blasting over speakers mounted on the tank I drive through the building.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

deer me, I hope that's not a DOE facility.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Phuzzy posted:

https://twitter.com/jeffcarlson/status/1089950465909870592

Man, I don't envy the fed computer janitors today

And this is why you either manually (well, powershell) or through something like Anixis expire 1/12 of the passwords every month for a year so you don't have "password reset day".

Oh I just realized these people are probably still on the "expire every 30 days" kick and that's why they got this bullshit.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

And.....365's web presence appears to be down. Back-end infrastructure seems fine, sending/receiving email etc., but the portals are not accessible due to a DNS error.

:bravo:

edit: apparently a "portion of infrastructure" developed problems and had to be restarted. Not a great look Microsoft that your poo poo isn't redundant/scaled enough that it still apparently has single points of failure.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 29, 2019

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

It's not DNS.

There's no way it's DNS.

(Actually it appears not to have been DNS this one time, but the haiku remains the holy law of IT).

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Lexmark MS610dn over here. Somewhat overkill for house needs, but I print out my tax returns to have a paper record so it's useful for doing that in a timely fashion. Other than that, it's mostly used for print-at-home tickets for shows and stupid poo poo like that. I think I put another ream of paper in it last year, after 5 years of owning it? (Also handy that it takes an entire ream at once).

(yes yes much like your mom, hilarious)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Hrm I don't agree with the printers only useful for scanners thing. Printers are not good scanners. Good scanners are good scanners.

Specifically, the Fujitsu ScanSnap series, which as someone who scans 99% of their paper documents and then shreds them, are a loving godsend for easily scanning poo poo (especially with the presets for splitting to multiple pages, scanning simplex or duplex / BW / color so I can take a shitload of simplex black and white one-page receipts like grocery store receipts, set them all into the scanner, and have it spit out individual PDFs for each one).

Of course some would argue why bother to scan any of that poo poo, but on the other hand, shut up.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

afflictionwisp posted:

Many tickets came in because a senior engineer made a dumb change, unannounced, on something that he had no business touching that has brought down all services for the whole company. Multiple hour outage, still cleaning up.
Can't be more specific because dude's a goon. Dude routinely makes an otherwise cushy dream job into a mountain of bullshit. That's my story.
gently caress you, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv5fqunQ_4I

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

As the apparent resident madposter I have a mad (as in insane) contribution to chat, er, chat: we use Facebook Workplace. Not for any of the FB features, just for chat, basically.

That said, I don't particularly like it very much (my boss insisted because he sometimes gets crazy ideas that he insists are the way of the future) because of the FB tracking issues and because it's not a real business product, but there are two things that standout:

1. Mobile chat and the floating head overlay - this is the same as FB Messenger where you have a floating circle that pops up superimposed over the open app when you get new messages, and I find it very useful to pop open chat briefly, respond to something, then go back to whatever app you were using.

2. Individual read notifications with little icons for everyone in the chat room showing what message they last read. This is INSANELY helpful for knowing whether someone's seen what you posted, i.e. whether you should continue saying stuff about it or wait until they've caught up. If Teams implemented this I'd want to switch tomorrow.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Schadenboner posted:

Wish you would protect yourself in the online world (by not being online (so we wouldn’t have to read your posts (which, by not being online, you would be unable to make))).

Heh angry AV vendor employee spotted. What exactly was so awful about Digital_Jesus' post that you felt the need to respond like this? He's pretty much spot on.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Kyrosiris posted:

I actually did something like that the first time I ever saw "kindly revert" in a ticket. I had just made a hardware change and they replied to me with "kindly revert on what has been done" and I thought the "on" was a typo or something, so I happily went and undid the hardware changes. :downs: They were furious, and got even more mad when I stated that they asked me to revert what had been done, and I did exactly that.

Luckily my manager was chill and smoothed it over but cripes that was a learning experience. :doh:

Kyrosiris did nothing wrong

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Shut up Meg posted:

I used 'revert' instead of 'reply' in an email to my father and he mocked me mercilessly.

Which was the Good Parent thing to do

shut up meg

No but actually I get annoyed at Indians for continuing to use archaic British crap that even the British don't use. It's like "yo dudes, you finally got them out of the country, they aren't enslaving/pillaging/stealing everything anymore (but no seriously give back the jewels you stole and put in the British Museum, assholes) and you can go back to being your own country, why essentially continue a little bit of their colonialism by using these phrases?"

I don't like British thing.

(ok)

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Renegret posted:

The worst part is that I'm sending time sensitive emails, then immediately calling them because, did you get my email????

It feels so dirty

It's Friday morning you're allowed to pretend to be an executive for a while.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

A new phone came in. And while I'm overjoyed at having something that doesn't take three seconds to launch an app, I have a decision to make. Should I continue to use the long-deprecated, no longer patched, and 2004-era-graphic-design Touchdown for work email, or should I join the 2010s?

My general problem is that I have a lot of folders (yeah I still do the folder/rules thing sorry if you're inbox zero but it just doesn't work for my brain), and the last time I tried it, Outlook Mobile STILL didn't sync subfolders on its own - you had to click on the folder to see if there were new messages in there. Whereas Touchdown, as ancient and decrepit as it is, would show me new messages from all folders without fail. (Also I spent $20 on it in like 2011 so I mean I gotta get my money's worth that's an expensive app!)

Are there any Exchange Android clients that will reliably sync folders? Or has Outlook Mobile been fixed so it will? What do you guys use for mobile mail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

rafikki posted:

I use Nine, it works great for me. You can be selective about which folders to sync or just do all of them.

Inspector_666 posted:

I have no firsthand experience with the folders but in ever other way Nine is like Touchdown but not from 1998, highly recommended.

I'd seen a lot of online reviews recommend this too, figured I'd get the viewpoint of people I trust more than random Internet weirdos (WHICH MEANS I DON'T NEED YOUR OPINION CLAM DOWN hey I gotta keep up the madposting or I might get the avatar revoked) so downloaded and set it up, and so far, yeah, does exactly what I need re folders and I'm liking the usability and graphics. It's real weird seeing work email not in the Android equivalent of a Pine window. (Before anyone thinks I'm that old I never actually used Pine as when I was coming up in the world we already had graphical email clients. That's right, Grandpa, Eudora supremacy, oh yeah and hooking it up to your Juno account? For free? Now we're on the Information Super Highway! 33.6 kbps USR modem, 75 bucks at CompUSA, that's pure speed right there!)

Anyway thanks guys, it's gonna hurt my pride to pay the $15 a mere 8 years after I bought my previous Android email client, but oh well. :10bux: