Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

We have to change all of our students’ passwords on our LMS since they’re instituting more stringent password requirements. This would be fine except that there is no way to bulk upload a password list. Time to spend all day changing each one individually. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Merijn posted:

Just expire the lot and force the students change them on the next login. :black101:

Sigh. If only it were that simple. Passwords are assigned by us to the kids since there are multiple, unconnected services they need credentials for, and some of the kids in question are as young as 9 so we like to keep all of their credentials for these various services the same so they have less to remember. If we let them pick their own passwords it would be chaos, and my job would be reduced to resetting passwords all day because they forgot what they changed it to 20 minutes ago.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

We have every user’s password in an Excel spreadsheet. The password to the Excel spreadsheet is the surname of the former director of the school. Kill me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Volguus posted:

Maybe is its way of telling you that you really shouldnt be uploading files to linkedin. Out of all places, linkedin?

He’s on LinkedIn, Lemon! He might as well be dead!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Cryptocurrency investing is all about entering young markets.

*sucks air in through teeth*

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

edit: that reminds me of the custom email filter the owner of a place I once worked at had me set up. It had a crazy word list of things that would cause an email to be silenty forwarded to him. Certain product names, companies, words like resume, pay, etc

This poo poo is beyond insane lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It has been decreed that instead of earmarking a portion of the operations budget for network infrastructure, all funding for that will now come from the school’s yearly fundraising auction. Makes sense.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

...can fundraisers be used for that sort of expenditure?

Do you mean like, legally? I have no idea. We’re an independent religious school so we have a fair amount of freedom in how we conduct business. I assume that the director of operations, from whom this decision came, has made sure it’s kosher, but he has kind of a tenuous grasp on reality so I honestly don’t know.

The way the fundraising auction works is that if a teacher or principal wants some big-ticket items for their classroom or building like a wall-mounted touchscreen or set of iPads or whatever, they fill out a form called “Fund-a-Need” and it’s placed on the auction block for wealthy donors to bid on. A lot of our students come from monied families so the fundraising dinner has a lot of rich bigwigs looking to throw money around, and flashy items like that generally get funded in this way. Personally, I think it’ll look loving ridiculous if we’re trying to get basic institutional needs paid for like this, particularly since we just raised tuition by a thousand bucks this year, but hey; I just do what I’m told.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Get little brass plaques made up for each network switch that you buy, and have a really small pair of curtains in front of it when you first power it up.

Perfect. As a bonus, it’ll make them easier to identify if they need service. “The James Quincy Fauntleroy switch is down!”

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Honestly it should just silently strip any leading or trailing whitespace and not burden the user with unnecessary errors like that.

It wouldn’t be a Microsoft enterprise product if it didn’t take several more steps than it should to accomplish anything.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Just set up a mobile DR facility in a lifted off-road Mad Max RV so you can resume operations in the event of a global apocalypse and subsequent water war.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

This is the most supportive thread on the forums

Weedle
May 31, 2006

devmd01 posted:

This is why when my wife and her teacher friends are planning drinks after school, it’s “poetry club,” because their email can be FOIA’ed.

This is one cool thing about working for a private school: faculty-wide emails with the subject line “Friday Afternoon: Drinkin’ Time.”

Weedle
May 31, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

:mad: I wasn’t made aware it was in the proposal.

In my fantasy, this is where you say “You could have made yourself aware that it was in the proposal by reading it.”

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sounds like he might be about to delete his brains with a bullet.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Excerpt from my boss’ response to my question about assigning the Page Manager role to a particular user:

quote:

For best practices, we need to limit page managers to just you, Vanessa, and Makala.

There are currently ten users who have been assigned the Page Manager role.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Methanar posted:

If you haven't gotten a raise in 10 years, you've been given a 15% pay cut. Given the average inflation over the last 10 years of about 1.6%

That’s teaching!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Meanwhile I’m over here feeling smug because I got AT&T to upgrade me from 12 to 25 down for free.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Why not say "I will be talking to them later"?

Because you don’t tell your subordinates about your plans for disciplining your other subordinates.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

I used to work at a place that packaged some stuff for a large company that rhymes with Belloggs and when that cell phone vid got put on the youtubes of some guy pulling a box of Corn Flakes off the conveyor, whipping his dick out and pissing in it the company had a collective panic attack and we didn't even make Corn Flakes

Wow, who pissed in that guy’s c... oh.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dravs posted:

When I was young I had an Atari ST with an attached tape drive. My favourite game was some 4-bit Bruce Lee thing. This must have been in 1986 or something.

Edit: the tape drive took around 20 minutes to load a game. While it was loading you had to stare at some psychedelic flashing lights. Almost certainly would have triggered seizures in some people with hindsight.

I loved this game. I played the DOS version, though, and boy was it eye-searing in CGA mode.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

This is how the headmaster of the school started his email to the staff announcing one of my colleagues’ new job title, Leader of Learning Initiatives.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Yeah I think the bigger question here is why the “server room” is also the water heater closet

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Muffinlord posted:

I just stumbled across a user in AD with the actual factual first name Reaganomics. It's too early to be this done with my day.

I work at a school that caters to rich white Catholics and I’ve never seen a name as bad as this.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

blackswordca posted:

Each day it's not done it costs us $6000 a day in project overages.

blackswordca posted:

I only have access to one server out of the 6 processing boxes and access requests have a 1-2 week lag time on them

I am cracking up at this. Boy is your PM’s face gonna be red.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

nexxai posted:

Now I need to go memorize the Amazon leadership principles.

- No unions
- gently caress you

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ilkhan posted:

User called me direct to get her out of tablet mode on Windows 10, which she didn't know what it was or how it got turned on.

Monday.

I feel for her, honestly. I can’t count how many times I’ve run into tablet mode not activating when it’s supposed to or activating when it’s not supposed to. I don’t know whether to blame Windows or the hardware but it’s annoying as poo poo.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

When would there ever be a good way

Lmbo @ this nerd who’s never got his rear end ate

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Our wireless networks are named after mathematicians. Riemann for student-owned BYOD, Euler for school- or teacher-owned devices, and Archimedes for testing/non-user-facing stuff. I like it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

.rm

Weedle
May 31, 2006

One of our B&G guys almost bled to death on the roof a few years ago. Sliced his arm on some protruding metal edge somewhere. His boss found him unconscious up there after thinking “you know, it’s been a while since I heard from Preston” and deciding to check up on him. They always work in pairs now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

HSAs/FSAs are just the insurance companies hoping you’ll give them even more free money

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

"the Zionist banking cabal".

huh i wonder what that means

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

I was set to just throw it out, but the tech coach and principal wanted to pull salvageable parts from it.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Agrikk posted:

*scratches needle across a record* wait. What?

Your boss showed you a real doll? You can’t do a set up like that and not, you know, deliver.

I'm just glad to hear that Shadowhawk still has a good job

Weedle
May 31, 2006

freeedr posted:

That would go along with how the corporation runs everything else since the buyout.

This corporation wouldn’t start with an A and rhyme with “Geneva Convention,” would it?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Entropic posted:

That doesn't seem that useful for situations where the run turns out to be hundreds of feet.

BTW this is what "the hole" turned out to be:

You can't fool me, this is a screenshot from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

PJ will be played by John C. Reilly in the screen adaptation.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Welp.

Turns out the new office phone number is the same as that of a well know courier company, but in a different area code. Fun times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ode5ijIu-UQ