Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

While you may not have a bacterial infection, based on what you have described the antibiotics are meant to be preventive. Like right now you have a perfect storm for a sinus infection or pneumonia developing. The antibiotics will help prevent that, and may help you get better a bit quicker if a bacterial population has already started its thing.

Are you allergic to three antibiotics in the same class? Like are you allergic to penicillin and therefore most penicillin analogs? That is nothing to worry about, especially since an actual allergy (as opposed to sensitivity) is pretty rare and there are plenty of alternatives. Taking anti-biotics doesn't make you allergic to them (outside of some rare cases). Almost all antibiotic allergies are type 1 hypersensitivity, meaning no prior exposure is required for an allergic reaction to occur.

edit: Also, there is no correlation to sputum color and etiology (bacterial vs. viral vs. allergen induced).

I'm allergic to sulfas (since infancy), Cephalexin, and Clindamycin. The latter I got hives while taking it in 2010 to treat cellulitis from a bee sting. The Keflex was a similar reaction (hives) back in the 1990s while treating "strep throat" where the dr. prescribed antibiotics but then the swab test came back negative, so I didn't need to be taking it at all.

Interesting that it could be preventative prescription. The doctor didn't say that, he said it was to treat upper respiratory infection indicated by the fever, but either way... OK, fair enough. Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Lmfao

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

washing machine decided today was the day to drop a big pink turd in the drain filter

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Wife and I watched latest Black Mirror season and caught up on some others while doing a puzzle and drinking champagne and ranch waters -- lime juice, tequila and topo; it was a fun night.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well holy poo poo, I just found out I have tomorrow off from work, and here I was being an idiot and trying to be responsible today and doing errands rather than enjoying the first day of legal weed in CA

Now I feel dumb

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
New Years dinner was Korean marinated beef tips, dumpling soup with egg, rice, stir friend broccoli and Brussels sprouts, and soy bean sprouts

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
That Rose Bowl may have been the best football game Ive ever seen :stare:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

weird Asian candy posted:

Last years was better in my extremely biased opinion

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

weird Asian candy posted:

Last years was better somehow

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Its Rinaldo posted:

New Years dinner was Korean marinated beef tips, dumpling soup with egg, rice, stir friend broccoli and Brussels sprouts, and soy bean sprouts

Can you give a link to that recipe? I'd prefer a goon approved recipe instead of just grabbing five recipes off Google and hoping one works.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The holidays are now over and I'm depressed :(

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
One of these days I'll stop posting in PSP, place got so miserable, though not the worst place post, that would be the internet critics thread which has turned into a goddamn poo poo show the last couple of days.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

One of these days I'll stop posting in PSP, place got so miserable, though not the worst place post, that would be the internet critics thread which has turned into a goddamn poo poo show the last couple of days.

i realized that a while back

it's like everything in wrestling sucks

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I loving hate this new call of duty

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

I loving hate this new call of duty

I get tempted now and then to get that and then I remind myself I haven't enjoyed a call of duty game since the first one way the hell back when. Also I don't do multiplayer on shooters which is where I figure a lot of the value comes from.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Maybe my reflexes have taken a turn for the worse because I feel like I'm just a millisecond too slow for an arcade shooter

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Same. Im not ready to be responsible for actual work and not the fake holiday noone gives a poo poo cuz everyones off for two weeks kinda work i been doin :(

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

achillesforever6 posted:

Ha, Its not nearly as bad as it used to be

I got thrown out of there back in the day for making fun of the endless negativity

Wrestling fans are amazing at their ceaseless ability to watch everything despite not liking any of it

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Wrestling Football fans are amazing at their ceaseless ability to watch everything despite not liking any of it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I like football

Also lol apparently one of those lovely YouTube prank guys filmed himself goofing around with a corpse in that Japanese suicide forest

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like football

Also lol apparently one of those lovely YouTube prank guys filmed himself goofing around with a corpse in that Japanese suicide forest

Not only that but he put the corpse in the thumbnail and framed it like a lovely reaction video.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like football

I just found out about this due to Aaron being really mad at him:

https://twitter.com/aaronpaul_8/status/948032944408444928

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I've been on vacation for the last 11 days, and outside of telling someone to go to hell for calling me on my vacation, haven't done poo poo for work.

I don't want to go back :smith:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kalli posted:

I just found out about this due to Aaron being really mad at him:

https://twitter.com/aaronpaul_8/status/948032944408444928

https://twitter.com/ebola_merican/status/948033842312605696

Holy poo poo KJU press the desk button

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

What I'm getting form this person is that they're offering their corpse up for twenty-four hours of selfies once they die, correct?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

man why even bother for what some cartoon av twitter nazi says about poo poo

its a 14 year old edgelord trying to get attention

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I'm watching a show about Stonehenge, and everything "possibly holds religious or ritual significance."

Is there anything in archeology that doesn't hold religious or ritual significance, because it sure as hell seems that way.

Also my dog won't stop farting.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

186 posted:

I'm watching a show about Stonehenge, and everything "possibly holds religious or ritual significance."

Is there anything in archeology that doesn't hold religious or ritual significance, because it sure as hell seems that way.

Almost any monument or structure that still exists today was built to last forever, so basically yes. Like, you aren't going to build your house with the same reverence as a tribute to the thing that makes the Sun come back everyday.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

186 posted:

http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

quote:

II.2.3 (Bar of Athictus; right of the door); 8442: I screwed the barmaid

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Probably Magic posted:

What I'm getting form this person is that they're offering their corpse up for twenty-four hours of selfies once they die, correct?

Isn't "pleading down to desecration of a corpse" a trope in Law and Order type shows where the person dies, but someone covered it up hoping to get away with it despite not doing anything wrong? Like, I know I have seen it in Bones and Law and Order, has to be in every show right?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I could see that holding religious significance.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

swickles posted:

Isn't "pleading down to desecration of a corpse" a trope in Law and Order type shows where the person dies, but someone covered it up hoping to get away with it despite not doing anything wrong? Like, I know I have seen it in Bones and Law and Order, has to be in every show right?

its in japan though and who knows what crazy laws they got

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

186 posted:

There's mountains of super boring evidence in archaeology, which is like 95% investigating ancient people's garbage. But that stuff doesn't make it onto TV.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I won't be until I take down the tree! :shepface:

Packing Christmas up just depressed the gently caress out of me. I'll leave the decorations downstairs up probably until February. The rest I'll take down during the playoffs to take the edge off. Cheer up bud, we get another one of these in about 12 months. :gbsmith:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Leperflesh posted:

There's mountains of super boring evidence in archaeology, which is like 95% investigating ancient people's garbage. But that stuff doesn't make it onto TV.

I used to work at a historic site that did archaeological digs on-site (though not ancient) and I can confirm that holy poo poo it's all just animal bones and broken pots.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Spoeank posted:

I used to work at a historic site that did archaeological digs on-site (though not ancient) and I can confirm that holy poo poo it's all just animal bones and broken pots.

Please do not dis my bomb rear end pots

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Spoeank posted:

I took a single semester of intro archeology, and the professor said "if you can't figure out the purpose of something, assume it's due to ritual and religion."

Does this have any truth?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

186 posted:

I took a single semester of intro archeology, and the professor said "if you can't figure out the purpose of something, assume it's due to ritual and religion."

Does this have any truth?

I wasn't really involved in the archaeology side (I did education) but that stands to reason. The further back you get the less dumb poo poo people carried around. If it's not a tool or a pot, it's probably a kids toy or religious item.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I spent three years in the UK as a teenager and my school did this work placement thing where you spent two weeks interning at a job. You could basically tell them any job you wanted and they'd set up an internship somewhere relevant. So I wound up doing two weeks with the Winchester Museums Service. I spent about a week moving old hosed up ugly corroded coins from tiny paper packets into tiny plastic packets and then copying over the data written on the old packets. That was actually kind of interesting, not because of the coins, but I was in a lab with other archaeologists doing stuff. One dude was like the world's foremost expert on roman-era roofing tile in the UK. He could take a tiny fragment of red ceramic, look at it for ten seconds under his microscope, and then tell you exactly where it came from. Like he knew the names of individual Roman roofing tile makers across a couple centuries of history and knew the exact characteristics of their roofing tiles well enough to not have to check references to be sure.

And that was itself pretty useful because similar to coins, it lets you put a maximum age on the cess pit you're excavating; can't be any older than the youngest roofing tile bits you find in it. It also tells you things about the local economies, that people were buying and shipping roofing tiles from 100+ miles away even when locally-made tiles were also available, presumably for reasons of pricing, style, etc.

Second week I spent on site. In the UK whenever they are going to knock down a building and build a new one in an old city (which is all of them), they pretty much have to let the archaeologists come on site and excavate the site before the new building goes up. So I got to help excavate a roman-era cesspit on the site of a new WH Smiths going up in downtown Winchester. It sounds gross but after a thousand years or more a cess pit is just soil, there's no smell or anything to it, and people lost all kinds of stuff into their toilets, including their pocket change, combs, belts, etc. It was cool learning how to use the equipment to find exact depths of layers, scraping away super thin layers of soil with a trowel, sifting through dried dirt looking for tiny fragments of bone, tile, etc. I never found anything particularly interesting, but it was still a great experience.

Anyway point of all of this: yeah. Archaeologists get excited about finding out what people were eating, what kinds of diseases they were suffering from, when their roofing tiles were made, and all kinds of poo poo like that. But television shows about "the ancients" figure that stuff is way too boring to bother talking about. The closer they can edge towards suggesting, however obliquely, that human sacrifice was involved, the happier they are, because that's what gets the ratings. Failing that, at least some good hard slavery-built monuments, pagan beliefs, and violent wars will get the juices flowing nicely. None of this meticulously determining for how many years this storage room was in use by spending five weeks slowly scraping away every layer of dirt in it nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I have gone digging for fossils before. Trilobites suck and I'm glad I'm not a paleontologist. And one of my 2018 goals is to make sense of my dad's coin collection. So far I'm finding a lot of Roman coinage. He also has a lot of Filipino coins. The problem is that it's unorganized so I'm having trouble sorting everything. There are notes and documents but it's a drat mess. This is going to be a challenge for sure.

Also I think I'm still dead from last night. Good NYE.