Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

panko posted:

:goonsay: creation & control is the first one. data & destiny is the fourth one (its nbn and the mini-factions)

Ah heck that's right. There's your answer then, the mini factions put that one in higher demand for Adam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I don't mind them taking shots at more controlled or interesting takes on FFG cards, and I'll absolutely forgive any sins if they remake Apex.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Nadir: Hungry Guy

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Midjack posted:

That was Reign and Reverie, the very last one. D&D was the first one and it had a lot of cards that ended up being staples for a long time.

Woops. This is correct. I should have known by the price— an unopened R&R is like 500+ now

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Also D&D just rotated out or NSG’s current standard format, so it may keep getting cheaper and cheaper to find used.

Put up an eBay alert notification for it and you’ll probably see it pop up within a year.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I was casually into netrunner like right before it blew up. now it looks like the scene is revitalizing and there's even weekly nights happening at some FLGSs in my area. But I have no idea what I should be buying into in order to get what's "current." is there a guide somewhere? I already had an old starter box and some of the blisters (can't remember which)

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Find out what format they are playing.

https://nullsignal.games/players/supported-formats/

Good chance you'll be up for buying some Null Signal cards.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Impermanent posted:

I was casually into netrunner like right before it blew up. now it looks like the scene is revitalizing and there's even weekly nights happening at some FLGSs in my area. But I have no idea what I should be buying into in order to get what's "current." is there a guide somewhere? I already had an old starter box and some of the blisters (can't remember which)

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Impermanent posted:

someone posted this infographic today in our local discord. I pass it on to you.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
You can play SG and SU against a pretty decent bot via Chiriboga if you want to dip your toe back into running nets without overloading yourself by buying all of the current card pool.

https://chiriboga.sifnt.net.au/

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

panko posted:

someone posted this infographic today in our local discord. I pass it on to you.

Sp you can use 1996 Netrunner cards in Eternal?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Don’t be fatuous, Jeffrey.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Some of them.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Got a chance to play at my flgs for the first time in years yesterday and spontaneously ordered System Gateway, System Update and Automata Initiative.

Corporate agendas are back on the menu.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Slyphic posted:

Some of them.

I miss NetRunner 96.

But I also very much don't.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

https://nullsignal.games/blog/liberation-part-2-upcoming-products-and-rotation/

SU21 due to be replaced with 'Dawn' at the end of next year.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

quote:

All FFG printings in the Standard format will rotate on Dawn’s release.

Sounds like the end of an era

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

It's been 5 years since the final FFG release, not a bad innings.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Honestly very hype for it. The past few releases in particular have really showcased a mature design sensibility for nsg and I think we're ready to move into a new era of netrunner.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I know I have a post from two weeks ago just getting back into it. But I've been very impressed!

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Impermanent posted:

I know I have a post from two weeks ago just getting back into it. But I've been very impressed!

I'm really excited about it too. I never really graduated from Jinteki cus I did not want to have to go find old FFG cards but like the game is in an incredible place right now and I have been feeling the itch to maybe go out and play it in person. Honestly if they could get the flavor a little bit more dialed in on the cards I would just fully think everything was pretty much perfect.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah the flavor is lacking some of that charm thenold netrunner had, but I do think the more recent sets are dialing in closer. I think maybe the biggest thing missing is some of the fun scuzziness amorality of some of the old era runners was fun, and maybe that I don't really feel a sense of place from the flavor text. Mostly they feel like they're describing things like a wiki

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Fun fact: Borealis cards are showing up on the excellent Chiriboga engine.

I definitely ran game against Esa and her Sabotage effect was definitely working. I think it was when I hit refresh a few times on a new game to get a different runner.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Yeah the flavor is lacking some of that charm thenold netrunner had, but I do think the more recent sets are dialing in closer. I think maybe the biggest thing missing is some of the fun scuzziness amorality of some of the old era runners was fun, and maybe that I don't really feel a sense of place from the flavor text. Mostly they feel like they're describing things like a wiki

I think I am mostly okay with the good runners. Like I think Sable is some kind of con person who is emptying peoples bank accounts with her violin computer while busking and doing concerts and that is kind of good enough for me. I genuinely kind of miss like a sense that the world is progressing though. Things like Whizzard getting blown up or Dinosaurus getting destroyed. Right now it kind of feels like we just drop the camera in the middle of a conflict then just move the camera to a new one and never see any of those people again or find out what happened.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

NSG is embarassed by the Criminal faction. None of their crim runners are real criminals, they're all ethically squeaky clean. Which is antithetical to the very bones of cyberpunk as a genre.
And I'm getting a little sick of being pandered to with the the Anarchs. I'd throw down money I've spent more time on picket lines than everyone employed at NSG combined. Anarchs should not be so exclusively into positive collective action. You need the hedonists, the contrarians, the pepople spoiling for a fight and any cause is a good enough excuse.

I need to see more Thomas Jeffrey and less ... 'solar punk'? I think that's where they're drifting is called now.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I don't think I've seen a bad or grimy Shaper ever outside of what, Exile? I think Nasir accidentally unleashed Apex but for the most part the Shaper faction generally gets to be all cool and righteous, or invested in fairly clean artistic causes.

I want a shaper that just creates garbage art. I want a shaper who's posting awful garbage to their deviant art and spraying it on weyland's virtual spaces because they geniunely think they're a genius. Just an absolute moron who succeeds because they keep going where others would simply not make anything.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Deleter posted:

I don't think I've seen a bad or grimy Shaper ever outside of what, Exile? I think Nasir accidentally unleashed Apex but for the most part the Shaper faction generally gets to be all cool and righteous, or invested in fairly clean artistic causes.

I want a shaper that just creates garbage art. I want a shaper who's posting awful garbage to their deviant art and spraying it on weyland's virtual spaces because they geniunely think they're a genius. Just an absolute moron who succeeds because they keep going where others would simply not make anything.
Yeah I'm an artist

(((Awesome graffiti tag))), (subversive), (pro environment), organic, organism, (((Good art)))

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Shaper obsessed with creating beautiful NFT art and selling the corpos on investing in crypto. Instead of actually getting credits off the sales and just going full Criminal, the money is automatically put back into more scammy data logging or trojan NFTs.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Slyphic posted:

NSG is embarassed by the Criminal faction. None of their crim runners are real criminals, they're all ethically squeaky clean. Which is antithetical to the very bones of cyberpunk as a genre.
And I'm getting a little sick of being pandered to with the the Anarchs. I'd throw down money I've spent more time on picket lines than everyone employed at NSG combined. Anarchs should not be so exclusively into positive collective action. You need the hedonists, the contrarians, the pepople spoiling for a fight and any cause is a good enough excuse.

I need to see more Thomas Jeffrey and less ... 'solar punk'? I think that's where they're drifting is called now.

I only started playing a few months ago after a group of friends were feeling nostalgic about the game and bought into the Nissei sets and yeah all the post FFG Corp stuff is still allowed to be all cool and Cyberpunk but all their new runner are just kinda blobbly and bland, even the redesigns of classic characters don't look as good as the FFG versions. It looks like they are afraid of making runners that are not 100% the good guys that would agree with all their political opinions and tell them how cool they are.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

The Deleter posted:

Whenever you make a successful run on R&D, trash the top card and replace it with a "Pregnant Sonic Fanart" card.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

An Anarch that trashes all contacts and locations at end of round if they don't make a successful run because they're such an obnoxious uncompromising twat that no one can stand them if they aren't directly and immediately benefiting them. Where's the SovCit Anarchs?

A Shaper that's only in it for the subs, every run livestreamed and the more unique ice they bypass the more cards they can access. Shallow sycophantic 'performance art'.

A Criminal that's literally one of the Corp SysOps from previous sets that saw their severance paper work and is desperately trying to pull an Office Space.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Yea the anarch cards have become good guy cards which is weird imo. Otoh I like the Brazil theme of the most recent expansion.

Shapers should get a card that allows them to get rid of a tag and its them completely leaving some schmuck out to dry because they couldn't code good enough.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Slyphic posted:

And I'm getting a little sick of being pandered to with the the Anarchs. I'd throw down money I've spent more time on picket lines than everyone employed at NSG combined.

Ok I basically agree about the pandering but this is a weirdly intense way to characterize a group of people whose only unifying trait is that they're volunteers for a non profit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Have any of you guys considered telling them all this?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I seem to remember a similar complaint being aired on reddit and discussed on the discord a while back. And by discussed, I mean mocked and engaged with in bad faith by a couple of high profile NSG members.

It's almost impossible to provide actionable feedback on the things they're proud of the most, so griping on a dead comedy forum is a harmless alternative.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oof, any links?

E: for entertainment purposes, not "post receipts"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Splicer posted:

Yeah I'm an artist

(((Awesome graffiti tag))), (subversive), (pro environment), organic, organism, (((Good art)))

Now I don't know whether to make their console an AI art generator or a How To Draw Manga book.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

virtue signal games :downswords:

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Splicer posted:

Have any of you guys considered telling them all this?
Been there, tried that, got mocked and ridiculed by NSG staff and told I'm playing the game wrong, I don't belong, and to leave. They DO NOT WANT any kind of feedback from randos. The only opinions that matter are those from within their clique. And the only way to become a member is to agree with them emphatically and stay in lock-step. People that want different things than the majority of the innerest circle leave. I was glad when they dropped their claims about being like an open source community driven project and now just say "by a team of volunteers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Splicer posted:

Oof, any links?

E: for entertainment purposes, not "post receipts"

This was something like 9-12 months ago and was just what I was reading in their discord at the time, so... No, not without performing a feat of discord archaeology I'm afraid!

It wasn't entertaining, just dismissive and a bit sneering.