Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I still hold that it's not a good digression for a superhero fighting supervillains comic to take, it should've been a background thing as peter is desperately trying to follow the murderous vigilante.

Edit: Next week: thrill as Robbie gets hassled by his parents to settle down and marry! also Spider-man fights an alien invasion or some such.

pls no corrections on Robbie's marital status as I don't care, it was just a joke.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

It's relevant because I imagine JJ is about to dump to kid on Peter to look after to get them out of his hair. It would explain the ominous text boxes.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

In that case why not begin in media res as peter has to figure out how to dump Jr. so he can fight some crime and explain the plot in thought bubbles, that way you aren't halting the peter parker narrative to bring us J3: the sitcom.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But then we wouldn’t get Jonah complaining about the n-word

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

But then we wouldn’t get Jonah complaining about the n-word

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

She keeps on saying it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

MorningMoon posted:

a comic strip on a newspaper...?
"So this superhero takes pictures of himself and sells them to a newspaper publisher? Like that could ever work!"

I choose to believe he just jumps up like that periodically as he talks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:monocle:

Forgot about the Owl teaser, and legit thought for a second that was Wolverine jumping in to declare himself boss, in some scheme that would make perfect sense in the NSMverse.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How’s this joker gonna lead the gang? He doesn’t even have hammer hands!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Forgot about the Owl teaser, and legit thought for a second that was Wolverine jumping in to declare himself boss, in some scheme that would make perfect sense in the NSMverse.

I'm prepared for the impending mob war against Sabretooth.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can we change the thread subtitle to “ARRGH! She said the N-WORD!”

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Escobarbarian posted:

Can we change the thread subtitle to “ARRGH! She said the N-WORD!”

:mods:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
For some fun Trivia the Owl was originally going to be the big villain of the first X-Factor arc. But when writers changed in that book, they decided an odd looking crime boss that’s not even a mutant was an odd fit in that role and created Apocalypse instead.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 29, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was a really odd choice because the owl is only marginally superhuman. he gets beaten up until he is physically disabled A LOT. usually by daredevil.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it was a really odd choice because the owl is only marginally superhuman. he gets beaten up until he is physically disabled A LOT. usually by daredevil.

Daredevil is also a pretty low tier character in terms of power, the X people are a bit higher up. Owl really doesn’t seem like the type to be able to handle them.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
1)

Captain Hygiene posted:

if this fucker The Owl goes "like Owls, I have TALONS!" and whips out some claws then i'm calling BS, that's totally Wolverine just deciding to be a crime lord and using magnets to attract his skeleton to this air.

2)

MonsterEnvy posted:

For some fun Trivia the Owl was originally going to be the big villain of the first X-Factor arc. But when writers changed in that book, they decided an odd looking crime boss that’s not even a mutant was an odd fit in that role and created Apocalypse instead.

so what you're telling me is that after The Owl wins the election, Apocalypse will show up to take over instead as crime lord of new york city, and then the Punisher and Spider-man will have to time up to stop his crime wave?? i'm so loving down for that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the funny thing is that the owl really does wear some fake wolverine claws sometimes.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Murdstone posted:

There is just something about this guy I don't like. I want Pete to give this loser a swirly. Not as Spider-Man mind you, but as Peter Parker.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I like that the "he's flying!" panel looks like like he's just falling face-first down from the ceiling :allears:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The Owl is a fairly old villain - in fact, he was Daredevil's first original villain, appearing in Daredevil #3 (Issue 1 was his origin story, and in issue 2 he fought Electro.)

He's introduced as a sort of proto-Kingpin, a crooked businessman who's also a mob boss and sort of a supervillain (he has the power to, uh, slowly glide through the air). He only appears fairly sparingly in the original Daredevil run after that, since there wasn't all that much interesting about him - he gets more owl-like powers and fake claws and such on occasion, but he's still never really much of a threat, and once Kingpin is introduced as Daredevil's nemesis he becomes almost entirely redundant, though nowadays when he shows up in more modern-day stuff the writers play into it by writing him as a second-rate Kingpin who would really like to be at that level, but can't quite hack it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

... His labored breathing? Really?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Volmarias posted:

If you know a better way to express your sheer animal power, I'd like to hear it

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Inadequately posted:

The Owl is a fairly old villain - in fact, he was Daredevil's first original villain, appearing in Daredevil #3 (Issue 1 was his origin story, and in issue 2 he fought Electro.)

He's introduced as a sort of proto-Kingpin, a crooked businessman who's also a mob boss and sort of a supervillain (he has the power to, uh, slowly glide through the air). He only appears fairly sparingly in the original Daredevil run after that, since there wasn't all that much interesting about him - he gets more owl-like powers and fake claws and such on occasion, but he's still never really much of a threat, and once Kingpin is introduced as Daredevil's nemesis he becomes almost entirely redundant, though nowadays when he shows up in more modern-day stuff the writers play into it by writing him as a second-rate Kingpin who would really like to be at that level, but can't quite hack it.

Modernly he’s generally portrayed as dangerous and not someone to take lightly even by Kingpin. But it’s mainly because Owl has kind of gone off the deep end due to his increasing abuse of himself with more screwed up experiments to give him more powers. Like the dude has mutated himself to have hollow bones so the serum that lets him glide works better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he undergoes new marginal enhancements to recover from each savage beating. but even though those are mostly cumulative, it still doesn't amount to much. the owl's a total chump, to the extent that he's a step down from hammerhand. so obviously, nsm is in for a rough time here.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

A man so exhausted from just getting up from a chair must be expending all his energy for evil!

I can hear him having several small heart attacks now, the fiend!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

The Owl: "Hi Matt, my name is--"
Matt's internal monologue: This guy fucks.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The Owl loving sucks i love him :allears:

:D

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I just saw the new thread title. Yayyyyy! :neckbeard:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Murdstone posted:

"So this superhero takes pictures of himself and sells them to a newspaper publisher? Like that could ever work!"

Look, it's Wolverine but no one wants to say that his disguise sucks because, well, he's Wolverine and that's how you get gutted.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Excellent new thread title.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Yeah, it's Wolverine.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Murdstone posted:

Yeah, it's Wolverine.

gently caress you, Logan!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ghostwriter reading Bendis’ Daredevil run and noticing The Owl and Wolverine have similar hair

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Me: I want Wolverine
Stan Lee: We have Wolverine at home
Wolverine at home:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Me: I want Wolverine
Stan Lee: We have Wolverine at home
Wolverine at home:

:laffo:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

We know its Roy Thomas ghost writing by now, right? Like in an interview somewhere in the thread I remember him saying that he ghostwrote since 2002ish. According to Google he had a run on Daredevil in 1969, could he have done a big arc about the Owl before??

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Okay after that they can't not throw Sabretooth at him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Remember the Owl is decade older a character than Wolverine.

Owlsley (Yes that is his actual name) had the claws first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MorningMoon posted:

We know its Roy Thomas ghost writing by now, right? Like in an interview somewhere in the thread I remember him saying that he ghostwrote since 2002ish. According to Google he had a run on Daredevil in 1969, could he have done a big arc about the Owl before??

Would not shock me, Owl was considered Daredevil’s big villain until Kingpin and Bullseye started screwing with him, and that didn’t happen until 1981. (Funny enough that happened back to back, Bullseye first appeared in #169 and the first fight with Kingpin #170)