Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Annihilation is not mentioned in the OP? It's probably a good movie, but it also has a weird distribution where it's in theaters in the US but on Netflix just weeks later everywhere else. Also two producers on the movie hate each other with one of them (same guy who produced Geostorm) saying that it's too intelligent or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Rirse posted:

Wasn't there a Netflix movie released this yearthat the Netflix twitter just flat asking why someone keeps rewatching it?

Yeah, A Christmas Prince, and some of them were kids who just rewatch the same movies they like day after day because that's what kids do.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the book of henry is p weird and if you don't particularly want to watch it, there's this which has a good summary of how nuts the whole show was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMb7-6eg4Zo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love that The Snowman ran out of time and money so they didn’t even film the whole script.

I think that is unheard of for a movie with that many A/B list actors
It wasn't that good of a movie either, so even if they had filmed the whole script, I'm not sure how much that would've helped.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

banned from Starbucks posted:

is Jeepers Creepers 3 in the future?

It already came out! I got it from the Red Box, and still felt ripped off. It wasn't as fun as the first two.

I think it had a one day release in theaters, too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was super selective this year on what to see due to having little money, and I've loved everything I saw except for Pirates and Justice League.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I haven't heard much about the new Cloverfield movie but it is supposed to come out in....February? Or did it get pushed back?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cloverfield Lane didn't get a trailer, or any buzz until 3 months from it's release date.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jet sanchEz posted:

I haven't heard much about the new Cloverfield movie but it is supposed to come out in....February? Or did it get pushed back?
Wait there's another one? 10 Cloverfield Lane just came out!

...well, I guess it came out in 2016, but it feels like it just came out.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Wait there's another one? 10 Cloverfield Lane just came out!

...well, I guess it came out in 2016, but it feels like it just came out.

I think it was already in production as an unrelated film when 10 Cloverfield Lane was released.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They're anthologying it, which is totally cool. \

But give my boy Clover another chance okay?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
On the one hand, that giant monster destroyed New York. On the other hand, it killed TJ Miller...

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah it's easy to crank out cloverfield movies when you just slap a CF sticker on some vaguely sci-fi movie and call it a day.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I'm cool with it if it gets people to watch dope sci-fi films. The two so far have been great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I loved Cloverfield and I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane, but lol, they had loving nothing to do with each other. If the connections are super vague stuff you really have to research online, they may as well not be connected at all.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, it's just an anthology title. A weird choice for a brand, to be sure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loved Cloverfield and I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane, but lol, they had loving nothing to do with each other. If the connections are super vague stuff you really have to research online, they may as well not be connected at all.

It’s connected in the same way the tales from the crypt movies were connected.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why people keep bringing up Cloverfield Lane was a bad sequel when it wasn't a sequel. A quick Google search would tell you the only connection is Cloverfield is a sci-fi anthology series.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LesterGroans posted:

It would make more sense if it was a different type of found footage movie but it isn't even that :confused: There are like zero clear threads linking the two movies.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Killing of a Sacred Deer was one of the best ones last year.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

I have to point out that the two Vin Diesel moves mentioned in the OP are actually financial successes globally, especially F8.

China loves Vin Diesel way way more than the US does. xXx: The Return of Xander Cage made almost 4 times as much there as it did in the US and The Fate of the Furious made almost twice as much.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

got any sevens posted:

Killing of a Sacred Deer was one of the best ones last year.
:yeah:

The cinematography was jawdropping. Scenes would be set in spaces normally thought of as close and compact, but the way it was shot was far away and isolated and left you feeling disconnected from the surreal poo poo that was happening, like you were observing a nightmare from a distance.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It would make more sense if it was a different type of found footage movie but it isn't even that :confused: There are like zero clear threads linking the two movies.

They have the same name. It's an anthology series now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Think "The Outer Limits" only as a movie series. There's nothing to comment the stories beyond "Cloverfield" and a sci-fi theme. I can't remember for sure but I'm pretty positive the early interviews after it got that name told everyone "Not a sequel. Just an anthology sci-fi series now"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The 3rd one is supposed to be out next month too and there's been 0 trailers or anything.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Rock made 9 videos on his Instagram thanking all the countries where Jumanji 2 is have been making a killing, which includes France, Mexico, Malaysia, Australia, and South Korea. It's also about to open in China.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Lego Ninjago got a theatrical release I thought?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Think "The Outer Limits" only as a movie series. There's nothing to comment the stories beyond "Cloverfield" and a sci-fi theme. I can't remember for sure but I'm pretty positive the early interviews after it got that name told everyone "Not a sequel. Just an anthology sci-fi series now"

So it's basically what Carpenter wanted Halloween III to kick off. Interesting.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh goddamit there is gonna be another Hotel Transylvania film. What terrible moral lessons can be inflicted on children this time? I'm betting its that vacations are a sin if you're poor.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

DoctorWhat posted:

Lego Ninjago got a theatrical release I thought?

Yeah I just plumb forgot it, I'll add it later tonight. Anyone see it, does it reference the other Lego movies or is it just the story from the tv series like I thought I heard?

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Barudak posted:

Oh goddamit there is gonna be another Hotel Transylvania film. What terrible moral lessons can be inflicted on children this time? I'm betting its that vacations are a sin if you're poor.

What were the weird lessons in the first and second? I never saw them, but I'm curious.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barudak posted:

It's pretty much the most successful ongoing franchise that Sony still owns outright. Their other big franchises over the last decade were James Bond (their 4 film deal ended and it went back to MGM), MIB (ended/in production limbo) and Spider-Man (failed, had to share it with Marvel).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cheapsteaks posted:

What were the weird lessons in the first and second? I never saw them, but I'm curious.

The first one is that true love is done on sight, can never be overruled, and is immutable. The second one has a bizarre scene especially in the wider context of the film where the undercurrent is basically "foreigners will never belong in America, no matter what they do"

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

syscall girl posted:

Posting to mark

Calling Hunt for the Wilderpeople best movie 2k17

fight me

and that was 2k16 fml

I only just saw it

Hunt suuuuucked!!

"Lets take a famous, touching, coming of age/bonding (with a bit of redemption) story and make it into a "wacky" adventure staring a fat unfunny pratfalling cop. Also lets utterly change the ending to strip it of its power and prevent it sticking with you long after its over"

The author would have had a loving stroke.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

504 posted:

Good, Barry Crump was a loving tool.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

504 posted:

Hunt suuuuucked!!

"Lets take a famous, touching, coming of age/bonding (with a bit of redemption) story and make it into a "wacky" adventure staring a fat unfunny pratfalling cop. Also lets utterly change the ending to strip it of its power and prevent it sticking with you long after its over"

I didn't know about all that but I did get that the woman copper was a pretty poorly drawn character.

Like cartoonishly evil wearing a coat made of dalmations.

But it had its good bits. Some of it survived the film-making process.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

TetsuoTW posted:

Good, Barry Crump was a loving tool.

Yes he was, but that's not the point.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jose Oquendo posted:

How did I miss the Scarface remake. I see the Coen brothers are involved. Maybe it won't be too bad. I like the De Palma movie but I don't think it's some sort of sacred movie that should never be remade.

It was also a remake of a movie from the 40s.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Here are some quality movies that I saw in 2017 that haven't been mentioned yet:
Kingsman: The Golden Circle - once again showing that if you are going to adopt a Mark Millar comic, don't do a sequel.
2:22 - fresh off his Game of Thrones fame, Michiel Huisman stars in this thriller that has patterns, paranoia, past lives, predestination and a plane that almost plowed into the pavement.
Unlocked - Noomi Rapace and Orlando Bloom star in this most generic of generic thrillers. It would have been vastly improved if halfway in it had turned into a sequel to 2016's Rupture.
Going In Style - pensioners rob a bank to get their due, director Zach Braff robs movie goers of their money to get his.
Power Rangers - not that bad, mainly because they don't suit up and bring out the mechs until the last 1/4 of the movie. I guess sometimes the origin story is good enough? Huh.
Sleepless - starring Jamie Foxx as a corrupt cop who has to deal with bigger crooks to save his son. David Harbour is also a corrupt cop. That is supposed to be a plot-twist but it is obvious from the moment he appears on screen.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I liked monster trucks. Really solid kids movie.

I was really curious about it, but they didn't even release it in cinemas over here. When you aren't releasing a movie in a country where you just have to do subtitles, you have (A) no budget, or (B) it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mierenneuker posted:

I was really curious about [Monster Trucks], but they didn't even release it in cinemas over here.

The most interesting thing about it was the is-this-real post from some dude who claimed to have worked on a terrifying version of the film that got one of its release dates scrapped. Otherwise, it was the same as a bazillion forgettable live action children's flicks. Coulda slapped a Nickelodeon logo on it in the 90s and never known the difference.