Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

END ME SCOOB posted:

The most interesting thing about it was the is-this-real post from some dude who claimed to have worked on a terrifying version of the film that got one of its release dates scrapped. Otherwise, it was the same as a bazillion forgettable live action children's flicks. Coulda slapped a Nickelodeon logo on it in the 90s and never known the difference.

Holy poo poo the imdb page for the movie lists at least 20 concept artists/illustrators, they really fuckin' struggled to nail it down.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That is exactly why I was curious to see it. Just watching a silly movie kids movie and imagining what it used to be like before.

Alas, it was not meant to be... but it'll probably pop up on a streaming platform eventually (does Netflix have it?)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

Here are some quality movies that I saw in 2017 that haven't been mentioned yet:
Kingsman: The Golden Circle - once again showing that if you are going to adopt a Mark Millar comic, don't do a sequel.
2:22 - fresh off his Game of Thrones fame, Michiel Huisman stars in this thriller that has patterns, paranoia, past lives, predestination and a plane that almost plowed into the pavement.
Unlocked - Noomi Rapace and Orlando Bloom star in this most generic of generic thrillers. It would have been vastly improved if halfway in it had turned into a sequel to 2016's Rupture.
Going In Style - pensioners rob a bank to get their due, director Zach Braff robs movie goers of their money to get his.
Power Rangers - not that bad, mainly because they don't suit up and bring out the mechs until the last 1/4 of the movie. I guess sometimes the origin story is good enough? Huh.
Sleepless - starring Jamie Foxx as a corrupt cop who has to deal with bigger crooks to save his son. David Harbour is also a corrupt cop. That is supposed to be a plot-twist but it is obvious from the moment he appears on screen.

I was really curious about it, but they didn't even release it in cinemas over here. When you aren't releasing a movie in a country where you just have to do subtitles, you have (A) no budget, or (B) it's bad.

Wait, how many movies now have been called 2:22/222

https://willowsoul.com/blogs/numbers/3-reasons-why-you-are-seeing-222-the-meaning-of-222

For starters we have Room 222 the sitcom from back in the last century

221b Baker Street (missed it by that much, 222 must have been across the street)

And several movies; some pretty recent.

Numerologists or whatever are weird.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

syscall girl posted:

https://willowsoul.com/blogs/numbers/3-reasons-why-you-are-seeing-222-the-meaning-of-222

221b Baker Street (missed it by that much, 222 must have been across the street)

Plus when you say 222 out loud it makes you sound like a choo choo train :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf-hh3Vhr1U&t=270s

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Plus when you say 222 out loud it makes you sound like a choo choo train :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf-hh3Vhr1U&t=270s

Dang I need to watch old Batman, this is some good stuff.

I recently watched the entire older series with the Rifftrax https://www.rifftrax.com/collection/batman

But I think the camp value of this series is worth more than pure the Wisconsin cheese of the former

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Len posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why people keep bringing up Cloverfield Lane was a bad sequel when it wasn't a sequel. A quick Google search would tell you the only connection is Cloverfield is a sci-fi anthology series.

One of the best things about 10 Cloverfield is the other movies on the 2012 Hitlist that also were made (10 Cloverfield is listed as The Cellar on it).

http://www.tracking-board.com/the-hit-list-2012-full-list/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

syscall girl posted:

I believe it's also the title the little known direct-to-dvd prequel to the Jim Carrey movie The Number 23.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still think they should have called 300: Rise of an Empire 302.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

I mostly left out direct to video stuff (except for Bright because it's basically a big budget film with a weird distribution model) because otherwise I'd have to list 20 Lifetime movies and like 100 Hallmark Christmas movies.

There's also the horrible Woody Woodpecker film which will be released direct-to-DVD in the US later this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAbXxiLrDIs
Yeah it's never a good sign when the trailer for your big screen adaptation of a 1940s cartoon character starts with the character shouting "Remember me??" at the audience.

Weirdly enough the film was originally filmed in English up in Canada but it was dubbed into Portuguese for the world premier in Brazil last year where I guess the character is apparently still pretty popular (which is why the lead actress is a Brazilian actress who is virtually unknown in the US).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

any old cartoon character who does "remember me?" has to sing that coco song

drat near broke my heart when the protagonist sang it to his great grandma

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Oddly enough 2017 was the movie I went to the cinemas the most. 12 times by my count. The biggest disappointment for me was Valerian in that case which had such gaping plotholes that I noticed them, and I tend to be the person that overlooks them completely.

I think the only things I might watch this year is Dinosaurs & Chris Pratt vs A volcano and this years Marvel offerings. Haven't really seen anything else that piques my interest yet.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Desperado Bones posted:

Condorito was released at the same time as Coco in my country :mexico:, so no matter how beloved the main character is it got obliterated in the Mexican box office. I haven't seen it, by the way. So I'm not sure how faithful is to the old as gently caress comics (that are still releasing).

I saw the trailer and only Doña Treme had a Chilean accent that I could hear but I didn’t see any culturally insensitive depictions of tribespeople or rampant rear end and tiddies like the comic strip had.
It did have at least one exijo una explicación though

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

RBA Starblade posted:

I still think they should have called 300: Rise of an Empire 302.

302 Dalmatians

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

was resident evil the LAST chapter a raging success?

e: actually it was the final chapter lol

I think it performed better than any other?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

I think it performed better than any other?

It only made $26 million domestic and absolutely bombed at home but it made over $300m worldwide, with more than half of that coming from China alone.

Cooked Auto posted:

Oddly enough 2017 was the movie I went to the cinemas the most. 12 times by my count. The biggest disappointment for me was Valerian in that case which had such gaping plotholes that I noticed them, and I tend to be the person that overlooks them completely.

I think the only things I might watch this year is Dinosaurs & Chris Pratt vs A volcano and this years Marvel offerings. Haven't really seen anything else that piques my interest yet.

Pacific Rim Uprising and Mortal Engines should be fun romps. The Predator reboot and Rampage (starring The Rock and based on the old videogame) could go either way but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 2, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I believe it's also the title the little known direct-to-dvd prequel to the Jim Carrey movie The Number 23.

I liked that movie.

*cough*

the little known prequel i mean ofc

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what movies I'm looking forward to this year. I go to the cinema maybe twice a year (I went three times in 2017, but two of those times were to see the same movie) and don't imagine I'll be adjusting that habit in 2018. Looking at the list of things coming out, I think it's going to depend entirely on whether advertising piques my interest or not.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I went to the cinemas 48 times last year, which is on the low side.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Jurassic World 2 is going to suck, you can tell because the trailer is just like the Mummy trailer, it’s all focused on one big setpiece and very little else.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Jurassic World 2 is going to suck, you can tell because the trailer is just like the Mummy trailer, it’s all focused on one big setpiece and very little else.

I find it interesting that the trailer implies Pratt's character is going to die.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

MacheteZombie posted:

I find it interesting that the trailer implies Pratt's character is going to die.

He’s totally not going to but a man can dream, can’t he?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Yeah I just plumb forgot it, I'll add it later tonight. Anyone see it, does it reference the other Lego movies or is it just the story from the tv series like I thought I heard?

My son has watched it about 30 times in the last week.

It’s a stand-alone film, has nothing to do with the first too. Very forgettable.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cheapsteaks posted:

What were the weird lessons in the first and second? I never saw them, but I'm curious.

#2 has the really odd one where it presents the moral that you're supposed to accept your gay children as who they are, then immediately negates itself when the baby turns out to be straight all along

Also yeah Lego Batman was not great. Though the setpieces themselves were entertaining as gently caress.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Lego batman was great for all the hidden jokes everywhere, plus the main story was mostly good. Didnt really need the gay sex jokes in a movie ostensibly for kids though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Yeah there are a lot of red flags in that trailer. You also have to love that they are also mirroring the first three Jurassic Park movies, since just like The Lost World, the upcoming movie also has the characters on the abandoned island.

I’m wondering how much Jeff Goldblum is even in this.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

got any sevens posted:

Lego batman was great for all the hidden jokes everywhere, plus the main story was mostly good. Didnt really need the gay sex jokes in a movie ostensibly for kids though

I kind of tuned out when Sauron showed up, though. It didn't need to be the Lego Movie 2.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah there are a lot of red flags in that trailer. You also have to love that they are also mirroring the first three Jurassic Park movies, since just like The Lost World, the upcoming movie also has the characters on the abandoned island.

I’m wondering how much Jeff Goldblum is even in this.

Jeff Goldblum himself said just that courtroom scene. Probably two minutes tops.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I kind of tuned out when Sauron showed up, though. It didn't need to be the Lego Movie 2.

Yep. Was more interesting when it seemed like the meta-ness would just be across various iterations of Batmen, not everything WB can make a claim to.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The in production for years Cleopatrais getting a makeover, Game of Thrones-style. David Scarpa is scripting and Denis Villeneuve is directing.

quote:

"Dirty, bloody, lots of people swearing and having sex and all of that other stuff and just treat it as a two-hour, lean, mean political thriller, full of assassinations. Just going the opposite direction from the way we think that movie is going to go."

He also said that his version of Cleopatra could offer a more feminist look at the Egyptian queen: "There have been so many narratives of Cleopatra that have all been framed through the eyes of men," Scarpa said. "The entire history of that period is framed through the eyes of men, specifically Roman men. And the idea was we’re gonna approach it through her point of view."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2018/01/02/dirty-bloody-lots-sex-denis-villeneuves-cleopatra-will-rip-hollywoods/

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They should cast Lena Dunham for that authentic product of incest look.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fun fact about the original Cleopatra (with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton): it's the only movie that was the highest-grossing release of its year which ran at a loss.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't studios just claim whatever they want ran at a loss?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Croatia is nowhere near Sparta though?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tars Tarkas posted:

The in production for years Cleopatrais getting a makeover, Game of Thrones-style. David Scarpa is scripting and Denis Villeneuve is directing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2018/01/02/dirty-bloody-lots-sex-denis-villeneuves-cleopatra-will-rip-hollywoods/

"The entire history of that period is framed through the eyes of men, ... we’re gonna approach it through her point of view."

Says a bunch of men.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That means they're gonna pass the bechdel test and then pat themselves on the back with a lesbian sex scene.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That means they're gonna pass the bechdel test and then pat themselves on the back with a lesbian sex scene.

The dialogue during the lesbian sex scene is what passes the bechdel test.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It means they’re gonna market it towards that particular audience and pat themselves for being progressive or something which will be lapped up and paraded as some kind of landmark event in cinema history and make -a billion.

And the lesbian sex scene. Though if I could get something like 300 2 and Eva Green vamping it up and being hardcore boss I’d enjoy that. Go ham. Eva Green and Cate Blanchett hamming up villainy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol Angelina Jolie has been trying to get this made for years, thank god the women positive movie can now go ahead under the helms of a buncha dudes.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Casimir Radon posted:

They should cast Lena Dunham for that authentic product of incest look.

Please do not confuse products and producers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Don't studios just claim whatever they want ran at a loss?

Yes, but it's more complicated than that.

The way film production works is that the producers make a new company specifically to make that film. All of the production, but nothing else about the movie are handled by that company. Because it is a corporation, it has to make public filings and this is why we know all the production budgets of films. This company through studio accounting shenanigans never makes money.

But obviously movies still actually fail to make money (the gross is never the actual studio take and that goes double for the international gross which has even more people taking cuts of the pie). So a very expensive movie may gross hundreds of millions of dollars and still lose a shitton of cash for the studio. Cleopatra is particularly infamous in that regard because it was so absurdly expensive that it effectively bankrupted Fox.