Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How about A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

got any sevens posted:

I read that book. It was boring as gently caress.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

got any sevens posted:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

There's been soooooo many indirect adaptations. Black Knight, A Kid in King Arthur's Court, A Knight in Camelot (Whoopi), to name a few.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

There's been soooooo many indirect adaptations. Black Knight, A Kid in King Arthur's Court, A Knight in Camelot (Whoopi), to name a few.

Back to the Future 3 a bit also

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grendels Dad posted:

They should just remake Excalibur, but with even bigger armor.

I remember catching a bit of Excalibur on television late one night many years ago, specifically in the scene where a knight in full plate armour has sex with a woman who's in this wispy diaphanous robe, if not fully nude. It was actually not until I mentioned this right here in this subforum a couple of months ago that I realised they were the same movie. Regardless, not having seen much else of the movie, I assumed it must be some sort of over-the-top parody of sword and sorcery movies.

I guess it must have been part of a theme for whatever channel it was, because I remember around the same time I also saw the Joan of Arc movie with Mila Jovovich which also had Dustin Hoffman playing her conscience, which strikes me like it might be a somewhat similar movie in some ways.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

They should just remake Excalibur, but with even bigger armor.

Like, huge gently caress-off World of Warcraft armor. Keep the choreography the same, the knights just cumbersomely pounding on each other with their axes and swords and generally not doing much damage. It's all about tiring out the other guy and then shanking them in the death trap they strapped to their body.

There's an amazing account in Jean Giono's book 'Pavia' about how, once the knights were trapped, the non-noble musketeers would find a weak point, jam the barrel of their musket in, and fire

Wheat Loaf posted:

I guess it must have been part of a theme for whatever channel it was, because I remember around the same time I also saw the Joan of Arc movie with Mila Jovovich which also had Dustin Hoffman playing her conscience, which strikes me like it might be a somewhat similar movie in some ways.

Jovovich as Joan of Arc is a pretty good movie. I wish we got more movies set in the hundred years war.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bumblebee was good. Fun robot adventure with mild feminist themes.

Couple of dudes in it got liquified, which still doesn't look as good as the time Odo got exploded in season 2 of deep space nine

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Rirse posted:

Before the thread closes, I hope there is a recap on all the movies that came out this year like in the past.
I should have that in the OP of the new thread later today!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember catching a bit of Excalibur on television late one night many years ago, specifically in the scene where a knight in full plate armour has sex with a woman who's in this wispy diaphanous robe, if not fully nude. It was actually not until I mentioned this right here in this subforum a couple of months ago that I realised they were the same movie. Regardless, not having seen much else of the movie, I assumed it must be some sort of over-the-top parody of sword and sorcery movies.

Fun fact: that's the director's daughter

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

That fact is not fun at all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Excalibur is so good.

But yeah, we watched that movie in high school and when that scene happened everyone busted out in laughter.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Tars Tarkas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVMOlos4kVg

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

That fact is not fun at all.

Let me tell you about Asia Argentinob and the films she did with her father...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tars Tarkas posted:

iirc, young Mordred is his son and the lady of the lake is his wife, the whole Boorman family got parts on that one

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember catching a bit of Excalibur on television late one night many years ago, specifically in the scene where a knight in full plate armour has sex with a woman who's in this wispy diaphanous robe, if not fully nude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVxSUz-Fk24

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Or probably tomorrow as I just spent 3 hours troubleshooting wifi

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

Or probably tomorrow as I just spent 3 hours troubleshooting wifi
Are all the lights on your modem green?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The MSJ posted:

Snyder wants to make a movie about George Washington.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

Snyder wants to make a movie about George Washington.

Did he seriously get inspired by that Robot Chicken skit that parody 1776 as a 300 style movie!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rirse posted:

Did he seriously get inspired by that Robot Chicken skit that parody 1776 as a 300 style movie!

There's literally no other way anyone would want to make a movie about George Washington.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rirse posted:

I think he said it was a painting he saw.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I heard full plate knights carried a knife so armoured fights ended with wrestling the other knight to the ground and shanking them.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I heard full plate knights carried a knife so armoured fights ended with wrestling the other knight to the ground and shanking them.

that was definitely how more common soldiers like longbowmen, pikemen, hussites and, later, landsknects finished them off.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Rondel daggers were less knives and more sharp triangular metal spikes. Taking hostages was the best way to get paid as a knight and nothing convinces someone to surrender like a pointy metal stick poking at their groin or neck.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Probs too late but the title should be Lifetime is Actually Great And

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

An American Badass in King Arthur's Court, starring Kid Rock

Tell me you didn't wish this was real

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Snowman_McK posted:

There's literally no other way anyone would want to make a movie about George Washington.

Unironically this.

I would be more interested in a Filmore movie

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The MSJ posted:

The thing that doesn't work about the Robot Chicken sketch is that, particularly how American history is represented in painting, this is already the 300-version of American history.

But it's just the same old story of people missing the point about 300.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

K. Waste posted:

The thing that doesn't work about the Robot Chicken sketch is that, particularly how American history is represented in painting, this is already the 300-version of American history.

But it's just the same old story of people missing the point about 300.

The point being shirtless men and ultra violence rule

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

It was the painting of Washington crossing the Delaware on Christmas Eve. That's a great painting when you see it in person so I can understand the immediate impulse (especially for someone like Snyder whose also a huge Excalibur fan) to want to make an operatic Washington movie from seeing it. I forget the exact dimensions but it's just one of those pieces where in person you really feel the imminent momentum and it just FEELS gigantic.

The painting itself elevates a moment not particularly huge in the American Revolution to an operatic mythical moment, like if Snyder were a painter in the late 1800s this is what he would have painted. I don't know hot it is regionally but in NYC this was like required learning since grade school. After months of decisive British victories, Washington took the initiative to attack a large group of Hessians in Trenton, they crossed over Christmas Eve and rolled up on a bunch of groggy post celebration Hessians and they managed to surround the town and capture 1,000 Hessians with just 4 casualties. However something like more than half of Washington's forces along with their artillery wasn't able to make it, so while the initial attack was seen as a bold and stunning success they eventually did have to withdraw. So it's easy to see why he'd go for something 300 esque since it's a somewhat similar situation irl - the attack wasn't of particularly big strategic interest, and technically didn't work or even really have a great chance of working as far as actually holding the city, but the boldness and decisiveness of the initial attack even at the time spread as like a "huh, the Continental Army is Actually Good?" morale boost.

Honestly someone whose a huge fan of Excalibur making a movie about it would be a pretty good fit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

IIRC Washington was actually a terrible general (though an excellent spymaster) but made up for it with ridiculous amounts of luck. That might make for a great movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I Before E posted:

The answer is obvious: Camelot 3000.

This, unironically.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Make a movie about Taft you cowards

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Washington was actually a terrible general (though an excellent spymaster) but made up for it with ridiculous amounts of luck. That might make for a great movie.

It seriously would. Like it would be easy to make bittersweet/dramatic stuff about Washington and his inner circle just by being accurate. And this wouldn't even be some wild new way of looking at him or anything. To bring it back to over the top comics, I remember even in like a Superman comic from the 70s (probably for the Bicentennial?) where he goes back in time or whatever and hangs out with Washington expecting a titanic figure, and instead a lot of it was Washington talking about what a horrible and inexperienced general he was and various military blunders he made throughout his career.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

JFK movie where he grabs the bullet between his teeth and hurls it back at Oswald and then gets into a duel with the Umbrella Man.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

JFK movie where he grabs the bullet between his teeth and hurls it back at Oswald and then gets into a duel with the Umbrella Man.

He does this but then time freezes and he has a one hour long philosophical conversation with extra dimensional beings and then time unfreezes and he realizes he must fake his own death for [techno babble balance of the multiverse] reasons which is why none of the theories over what happened quite work and then the last shot is like the end of BvS with the dirt rising off the coffin.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

He does this but then time freezes and he has a one hour long philosophical conversation with extra dimensional beings and then time unfreezes and he realizes he must fake his own death for [techno babble balance of the multiverse] reasons which is why none of the theories over what happened quite work and then the last shot is like the end of BvS with the dirt rising off the coffin.

Deathstroke end credits stinger as well.

Presidential extended universe baby.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Wasn't the thing that impressed the French about Washington was his ability to effectively withdrawal the rabble he had for an army when he did mess up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

Already been done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6naJ08Tskk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

A Teddy Roosevelt movie but it’s just him piledriving American cryptids like Hagger from Final Fight