Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tino posted:

I thought the story of one of Washington's generals who didn't get Washington's job and turned around and offer royalty to the Brits was pretty interesting. Was that Lee?

No Lee was the one that lost the Battle of Monmouth and was drummed out in disgrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

about 70% done but haven't picked a thread title yet besides going to pick one of the misspellings of Greenlighted that was listed, so could easily use one of the suggested thread titles as well. 2019 doesn't seem to have a clear theme, just more of the same. Shooting for early afternoon

Greenlighted 2019: hollywood is finally out of original ideas

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Charles Lee was left behind without a pot to piss in
Started saying this to anybody who would listen:
"Washington cannot be left alone to his devices. Indecisive from crisis to crisis. The best thing he could do for the revolution is turn and go back to planting tobacco in Mt Vernon"

I assume. I'm assuming the lyrics of Hamilton are correct

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

got any sevens posted:

Greenlighted 2019: hollywood is finally out of original ideas

Greenlighted 2019: Pure, Focus-Tested Nostalgia

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Iron Crowned posted:

Is anyone really that excited about Spawn these days?

I was never a comic book guy, but Spawn seemed to be at it's peak in the 90's, because it was new, and not DC or Marvel.

It's my movie, it was made for me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeQRO4fXOKk

Beachcomber posted:

This will always be a valid reason to hate Prometheus.

Sorry nerd, Prometheus fuckin' owns.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Greenlighted 2019: Colorful Moving Pictures For Your Eyes & Brain

Greenlighted 2019: DeeDee Megadoodoo

Greenlighted 2019: Scalloped Potatoes

Greenlighted 2019: G-R-E-E-N-L-I-G-H-T That Spells Moon

Greenlighted 2019: Coupon: The Movie

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I will only be interested in the new Spawn film if John Leguizamo is playing the Clown again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Rock would creatively tank a Shane Black movie by imposing his family-friendly, four-quadrant brand on it.

e: and I vote we go classic and fix what my brain hates with Who Greenlit This poo poo?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gonz posted:

Greenlighted 2019: Coupon: The Movie

This has my vote

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

feedmyleg posted:

The Rock would creatively tank a Shane Black movie by imposing his family-friendly, four-quadrant brand on it.

e: and I vote we go classic and fix what my brain hates with Who Greenlit This poo poo?

I vote for "Greenlighterized"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

I wonder how that would have impacted that Doc Savage movie they were going to but probably never will make? What's the most objectionable thing in Doc Savage other than the typical Golden Age pulp racism that would likely be taken out anyway? The whole Crime College thing is a possibility depending on how you interpret it, I suppose.

Has there been nothing on that Avengers reboot Shane Black and Fred Dekker announced back at the start of that year? It's one of my favourite television shows and I got the box set for Christmas so I'm planning to do a big watch of it this year; Dekker said they were going to really lean into the Swinging London period setting and it sounds like something I'd be into, especially after Black did the same for the 70s with Nice Guys.

I guess they've probably been busy with Predator.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Actually wait, is there a Coupon: The Movie in the works?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder how that would have impacted that Doc Savage movie they were going to but probably never will make? What's the most objectionable thing in Doc Savage other than the typical Golden Age pulp racism that would likely be taken out anyway? The whole Crime College thing is a possibility depending on how you interpret it, I suppose.

Has there been nothing on that Avengers reboot Shane Black and Fred Dekker announced back at the start of that year? It's one of my favourite television shows and I got the box set for Christmas so I'm planning to do a big watch of it this year; Dekker said they were going to really lean into the Swinging London period setting and it sounds like something I'd be into, especially after Black did the same for the 70s with Nice Guys.

I guess they've probably been busy with Predator.

Read an interview with Dekker the other day where he was talking about actively wanting to get back into the directors chair. He mentioned that the Avengers reboot is in active development.

And yeah, the Savage script was apparently in a place that Black loved it a couple years back, but Johnson probably hasn't had much input into that yet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm kind of surprised that it didn't get fast tracked when Jumanji blew everything else away last year.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

And yeah, the Savage script was apparently in a place that Black loved it a couple years back, but Johnson probably hasn't had much input into that yet.

It's been talked about since around 2014 or so, which makes me think it's probably not happening any time soon given how busy the Rock is.

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm kind of surprised that it didn't get fast tracked when Jumanji blew everything else away last year.

Johnson's already involved in Jungle Cruise which looks like it's aiming for the same thing.

I'm also a bit surprised that there wasn't another go at Doc Savage amidst all those other pulp hero movies after Batman '89.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's been talked about since around 2014 or so, which makes me think it's probably not happening any time soon given how busy the Rock is.

Johnson's already involved in Jungle Cruise which looks like it's aiming for the same thing.

I'm also a bit surprised that there wasn't another go at Doc Savage amidst all those other pulp hero movies after Batman '89.

Assuming we don't get another copyright pushback, the Doc Savage book The Man of Bronze comes into the public domain sometime in the next 2 or 3 years iirc. So we'll get a bunch of low budget versions at the very least.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 2, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I went to The Rock to clear my script but The Rock cried out "Your script's been flipped"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

feedmyleg posted:

Assuming we don't get another copyright pushback, Doc Savage comes into the public domain sometime in the next 2 or 3 years iirc. So we'll get a bunch of low budget versions at the very least.

Slam cut to Casper Van Dien staring at his phone

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This year is the hundredth anniversary of the first Zorro novel, The Curse of Capistrano. I believe there's something due for release but I don't think it's an American production.

Likewise, next year will be the centennial for the original Douglas Fairbanks movie. Maybe something will be done for that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fart City posted:

Slam cut to Casper Van Dien staring at his phone

I'm really curious to see how Hollywood reacts to the (tentative) flood of interesting works entering the public domain over the next few years. Like are we going to get a spate of The Great Gatsby adaptations starting next year?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Tars Tarkas posted:

2019 doesn't seem to have a clear theme, just more of the same.

Greenlighted 2019: Bring it in guys! *All the franchises come in for a HUGE retread*

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

I'm really curious to see how Hollywood reacts to the (tentative) flood of interesting works entering the public domain over the next few years. Like are we going to get a spate of The Great Gatsby adaptations starting next year?

The only adaptation of Gatsby I've seen is the one with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow as Gatsby and Daisy, which I watched in English class. We also studied The Glass Menagerie and watched the television adaptation with Katherine Hepburn. Sam Waterston plays Nick in the former and Tom in the latter, and we all had some fun with constructing an elaborate backstory about how they were actually the same person. (It was a dull class.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If someone wants to make a quick buck, start writing your The Great Gatsby vs. Vampires now, ala Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and click that self-publish button on Amazon at the stroke of midnight next year.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

feedmyleg posted:

If someone wants to make a quick buck, start writing your The Great Gatsby vs. Vampires now, ala Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and click that self-publish button on Amazon at the stroke of midnight next year.

Is that when it goes public domain?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

feedmyleg posted:

I got my script to Attack of the 50ft. Gatsbies sitting ready.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Great Gatsby vs Greater Gatsby.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Gatsby, the Great and Powerful

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gatsby, The Gay Blade

GatsBy Mouth

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Flying Zamboni posted:

Greenlighted 2019: Bring it in guys! *All the franchises come in for a HUGE retread*

Dang, tempted to gank this one for the next thread, got two other ones i'm debating as well as I wrap it up

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Is that when it goes public domain?

Assuming Disney doesn't make it extend again

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

GATS

starring Lou Diamond Phillips

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1080592441881907201

18 years in and we bone like we're cheating on each other WITH each other. A decade-plus and their brown/taint-area still pOwns my dick.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

Assuming Disney doesn't make it extend again

They have more incentive to do this the more old IP they buy.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1080592441881907201

18 years in and we bone like we're cheating on each other WITH each other. A decade-plus and their brown/taint-area still pOwns my dick.

who is this for

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can’t wait for Kevin Smith to stop being a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

New fresh thread to bash Kevin Smith in for 2019!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878679