Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

akadajet posted:

"QLED" will never stop being pathetic
[img-futurama-z-ray]

samsung's marketshare in tvs went to poo poo this year since oleds got down in price so much and other companies have full array sets that are better and cheaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The_Franz posted:

i just want to know when displays with vrr will actually be available in stores

hdmi 2.1 was "finished" this fall so like 2020, 2021 if you want something that works out of the box

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow did you spend four thousand dollars on a z9

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

lol i spent $20,000 on a real display

you're supposed to say your employer bought one of these I bet you've never even seen one irl

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I would like to have Shin Godzilla and Fury Road on UHD, so those will probably be my first purchase when the time comes.
fury road is very good in hdr

you're best waiting until your current tv dies if you're still happy with it, oled and falds are only getting cheaper, the tv I bought went from $1600 to $1000 in 7 months

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

exciting news

quote:

Gaming and Home Theater Ready for Next Level

FIBBR will launch the Ultra 8K, the world’s first 56Gbps 8K-HDR Fiber Optic HDMI cable. FIBBR’s latest innovation is capable of residential applications up to 50 meters. The Ultra 8K is on display in the HDMI Forum Booth 20542 at the LVCC South Hall 1.

The Ultra 8K, like all FIBBR fiber optic solutions, is made with the highest-quality glass fibers, available exclusively from YOFC, the world’s largest fiber producer.

“FIBBR is thrilled to lead the category with the introduction of the industry’s first 56Gbps fiber optic HDMI cable,” said Joe Zhang, product manager for FIBBR. “CES is always an exciting venue to showcase industry-defining technology, and the Ultra 8K is no exception. Our kiosk in the HDMI Forum booth will show not only the Ultra 8K but also our award-winning Ultra Pro v2.0 series certified by the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF) for 18Gbps. While the standards and hardware continue to evolve, the market needs a reliable solution to move their high bandwidth data. FIBBR’s fiber optic solutions are here for today and ready for tomorrow.”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

raccoon natural speed king but for cars

quote:

BURLINGTON, Mass., November 9, 2017 – Nuance Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUAN) today announced that it has been named a CES 2018 Innovation Awards Honoree for its Dragon Drive connected car platform in the award program’s Vehicle Intelligence and Self-Driving Technology category.

Powered by artificial intelligence, Nuance’s Dragon Drive creates a conversational automotive assistant that listens, understands and responds to drivers and empowers automakers to make the AI-powered connected car experience a reality. Dragon Drive understands and learns the needs and preferences of drivers and passengers and provides a personalized experience for each person in the car, providing access to entertainment, navigation, points of interest, news feeds and in-car features such as heating and air conditioning. Dragon Drive also provides car-to-home and home-to-car interoperability to automakers, with the ability to create customized in-car infotainment features that can talk to and control home systems and applications. Dragon Drive powers more than 180 million cars on the road today across more than 40 languages, creating conversational human machine interfaces for Audi, BMW, Daimler, Fiat, Ford, GM, Hyundai, SAIC, Toyota and more.

Products entered in the prestigious CES Innovation Awards program are judged by a preeminent panel of independent industrial designers, independent engineers and members of the trade media to honor outstanding design and engineering in cutting-edge consumer electronics products across 28 product categories.

“We are honored that the Consumer Technology Association has recognized our work in applying conversational and cognitive AI to one of the most complex challenges – a truly intelligent and responsive connected car,” said Arnd Weil, senior vice president, automotive, Nuance Mobile. “We are proud to be named a CES 2018 Innovation Awards honoree, further validating Nuance’s ability to deliver a smarter approach to today’s connected cars as well as the connected, autonomous, shared and electric vehicles of the future.”

The CES Innovation Awards are sponsored by the Consumer Technology Association (CTA), the owner and producer of CES 2018, the global gathering place for all who thrive on the business of consumer technologies, and have been recognizing achievements in product design and engineering since 1976.

Nuance’s Dragon Drive connected car platform will be displayed at CES 2018, which runs January 9-12, 2018, in Las Vegas, Nevada. To learn more about the ways in which Dragon Drive is amplifying the intelligence of the connected car, visit Dragon Drive on nuance.com. To learn more about other CES 2018 Innovation Honoree products, visit CES.tech/Innovation.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

just fyi your "just fine" plasmas are probably like 40% dimmer than when you bought them it just happens so slowly you don't notice

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the 90s retro movement is getting out of control

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

samsung's "QLED" is a cynical attempt to create customer confusion and charge more for their middlin' edge lit lcd panels than actual oleds cost, in response samsung's high end marketshare is plummeting because hey making worse tvs and charging more for them isn't the best strategy

in unrelated news monster cable is still mad about beats and is still trying to create trendy headphones

pretty much everything else I've read from the show so far is:
  • wireless earbuds
  • smarthome garbage
  • alexa poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

can we make this image the thread title?

quote:

As a prototype, the Puppy 1 doesn’t currently have important features like obstacle avoidance. Once it ran into people in its path, the bag just froze or began rolling into people and falling over. (After watching it tumble a handful of times, the outer shell does appear to be decently durable. The concrete kiss sounds are still hard to listen to, though.) If the bag is grabbed while it’s supposed to be following you or trips over, the remote buzzes and the bag alarms which could cause quite a pandemonium at a crowded airport. The Puppy 1 is also designed as a carry-on bag, which means it’ll also need to have a removable battery to make it past major US airlines’ requirements.
https://www.theverge.com/ces/2018/1/8/16861048/90fun-puppy-1-autonomous-following-suitcase-segway-ces-2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

i missed the lg keynote so i cant agree with their message here. in fact i feel its mocking me

I'm the designer who had to manually resize the apostrophe to make it bigger

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

poty posted:

i havent bought a single panasonic thing in my life

I've had a panasonic microwave for 12 years, needs suiting

they're going to announce tvs but they're using lg panels like everyone else

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so what the gently caress is qled

i thought it was just a regular lcd, but using quantum dots for backlighting so that they were individually controllable. the ultimate FALD if you will

no qled is just lcd with a coating or something that every company has been doing since 2015 or so, samsung just went full "Q is better, is 2 more" with it, all their current qled tvs are side-lit even the $4000 ones, coupled with samsung's legendary quality control
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBzfkP9w0s
[if you don't feel like watching the video they improved the image quality of a tv by putting it back in the box and dropping it on the floor a few times]

there's a different technology called micro led that might be what you're thinking of, they're starting to sell really large displays like 140"+

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

fun fact: an Ethernet connection at a booth at CES costs $5k

the booth itself probably costs at least 50

friend of mine is an electrician at a convention center, he has to work a lot of nights but probably totals 30 hours a week and makes a decent living

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

aww yiss harman has decided that klipsch shouldn't have a monopoly on the 1970s monkey coffin speaker market

only four thousand dollars

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The_Franz posted:

that lucrative market of people who think "you know what i want? speakers that cost as much as b&w or proac but look like particle board junk from 40 years ago"
only old people with memories of getting super high and listening to zeppelin on them in college have 4 grand for speakers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I need ful led color control to properly represent MY GAMING BRAND

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

muckswirler posted:

Extremely cool. Probably sound great. Definitely not worth the cash.

you can get some super primo speakers for less than 4 grand no doubt

these probably have an actual crossover in them unlike the originals

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

here's the off brand stupid crap I so dearly crave

quote:

If you’re like most of the world, that means starting the day off with a steaming cup of Joe. You brew a pot or K-cup or whatever and then pour it into your travel mug and head off to work, hoping that your insulated vessel will keep the precious liquid hot enough for you to get your day started. Or you start with a cold drink in a thermos, likewise hoping it will keep cold throughout the day. But what if your bottle could do more than just contain liquid? What if it could heat it to maintain your desired temperature throughout the day? Or likewise cool it? Or even boil water to purify it for drinking or for use with freeze-dried food packs while camping? Or if it could actually be used to blend up your smoothie or to brew your coffee? I give you…the Cauldryn Fyre!

No joke, the Caudryn literally stopped me in my tracks as I passed the company’s booth at the Sands Expo. A water bottle you control with your voice using Google Home? Madness, I thought! A water bottle that offered smart device app control? Why? And also, how? A water bottle that can keep my coffee at the exact temperature ALL DAY or boil and purify water in the face of any zombie apocalypse?! Tell me more!

The secret of the Cauldryn resides in its modular design concept with a removable base system which the company describes as being similar to Legos. “We just keep asking, what else can we clip on?” Current clip on modules includes a blender attachment ($29.99), a percolator attachment ($14.99) and the heater. (A cooling attachment will be along soon! As well as a “glamping” friendly LED lantern with bug zapper, as well as 360-degree field Bluetooth speaker!) The rechargeable battery pack screws into the bottom providing all the Cauldryn’s power.

The bottle has a 2 cup capacity and they claim it can boil water twice on a single battery charge, or be used up to seven times for water purification. It also has settings for maintaining temperature. The device can also be used for charging another device.

Oh, and with Google Assistant, you can simply use your voice to start a brew cycle or ask the Cauldryn to start boiling the water. Welcome to the future, people! Available now for $149.99.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

they figured out how to compress more resonance into the cabinets :thunk:
computer modeling has allowed speaker design to get much, much better than it was 40 years ago plus there's bass management and subwoofers which weren't really a thing in the "hi fi" days

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

attention pagancow sony has all the nits you need
https://twitter.com/BigJohnnyArcher/status/950551786502279168
thing probably needs like 4 power supplies

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ironic symbolism, inc. having a banner show
https://twitter.com/StephenFenech/status/951173499086753792

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex